PDA

View Full Version : RIP GTO

OUDoc
12/28/2007, 10:07 AM
Some dillhole ran the red light early Christmas Eve while I was on my way to the hospital. Airbags smell very bad.
He was kind enough to lie about his insurance to the police. Turns out, he doesn't actually have any.
My car is totaled. I loved that car. It held up really well in the accident though.
I'll post pictures tonight when I get home.

I replaced it with a 2005 Audi A6 (don't tell Dean). Not really a hot rod like the GTO ;). I've never bought a used car before, but I got a good deal on it. I'll miss the GTO.

BTW, this year has completely SUCKED! Can't wait for it to be over.

frankensooner
12/28/2007, 10:10 AM
Sorry Doc. Are you ok?

soonerinabilene
12/28/2007, 10:12 AM
uninsured motorists are the suc. Did you at least have uninsured motorist coverage on your insurance?

OUDoc
12/28/2007, 10:12 AM
Yeah. I was (and still am) a little sore. My left knee must have hit the dash or something, but I'm okay.

royalfan5
12/28/2007, 10:17 AM
Glad you're okay

C&CDean
12/28/2007, 10:24 AM
Dude, I'm glad you're OK, but in all seriousness, why in the hell would you buy the Audi? You think I'm full of **** I guess. Oh well, you're gonna learn your lesson just like everybody else who goes stupid and gets one of those crapheaps. It's a good thing you're an MD, cause you'll be able to afford the $1500 brake job. What you can't afford though is the times your groovy POS will leave you stranded or without lights or turn signals or something.

I would listen to medical advice from you. Why wouldn't you listen to car advice from me? Seriously.

Mjcpr
12/28/2007, 10:29 AM
Maybe it's because his medical advice doesn't sound something like this....

Dear Fat *** POS,

Instead of whining to me about having high cholesterol, maybe you should get off your fat ***, bale some hay and impregnante some heifers. Kick your old lady in the *** and have her cook something besides dead animals and **** with cheese sauce over it.

For ****'s sake, get some excercise.

Or, ignore what I tell you and die a slow, agonizing death while you struggle for every worthless wheeze you're able to suck down your constricted wind pipe, what the **** do I care?

:D

JohnnyMack
12/28/2007, 10:33 AM

Dear Fat *** POS,

Instead of whining to me about having high cholesterol, maybe you should get off your fat ***, bale some hay and impregnante some heifers. Kick your old lady in the *** and have her cook something besides dead animals and **** with cheese sauce over it.

Or, ignore what I tell you and die a slow, agonizing death while you struggle for every worthless wheeze you're able to suck down your constricted wind pipe, what the **** do I care?

If Dean ever goes on strike, you could totally be his scab.

C&CDean
12/28/2007, 10:35 AM

Dear Fat *** POS,

Damn Pat, that's almost exactly what I'd say if I was a doctor. Only I'd say "load some hay" and "have her cook more dead animals and lay off the damned taters and gravy."

Howzit
12/28/2007, 10:35 AM
Jeeez, sorry Doc. Glad you're ok.

On a sort of related note, my running partner was up in Ohio on business a few weeks ago and pulled out in front of a school bus. Apparently the intersection is notorious for wrecks and has had several fatalities. He was broad-sided by the bus, it's estimated speed at 45-50 mph. The bus and kids were unharmed, him not so much. 2 hematomas - I forget the specifics, but one up top and one around the spinal chord.

Fortunately the bleeding slowed overnight and they didn't have to relieve pressure on the brain. He's up and around now and it looks like everything will be fine. Said he did some research on his injuries, and about 50% never make it out of the hospital, and another 20% don't make it even after going home. Scary stuff.

Oh, and he had originally reserved a rental car that did not have the curtain air bag, but they were out. He got a 2007 Accord instead, which probably saved his life.

OUDoc
12/28/2007, 11:00 AM
Dude, I'm glad you're OK, but in all seriousness, why in the hell would you buy the Audi? You think I'm full of **** I guess. Oh well, you're gonna learn your lesson just like everybody else who goes stupid and gets one of those crapheaps. It's a good thing you're an MD, cause you'll be able to afford the $1500 brake job. What you can't afford though is the times your groovy POS will leave you stranded or without lights or turn signals or something.

I would listen to medical advice from you. Why wouldn't you listen to car advice from me? Seriously.
No, I don't think you're full of ****, Dean. I couldn't find a car I liked. I really wasn't ready to get a car, I had no idea what I wanted. The car magazines I read like Audi's and claim that they're good cars. It's my first non-domestic car. We'll see how I like it, and I hope it's not going to be a problem.

GottaHavePride
12/28/2007, 11:02 AM
Dang, Doc. Glad you're ok.

TopDaugIn2000
12/28/2007, 11:04 AM
Sorry to hear Doc. WHAT A SUCKY YEAR FOR YOU!!!!! Sure hope 2008 is MUCH MUCH better.

and yes, airbags hurt and smell bad, but THANK GOD for them.

SoonerTerry
12/28/2007, 11:05 AM
Glad your ok Doc..

Good luck with the Audi

C&CDean
12/28/2007, 11:05 AM
No, I don't think you're full of ****, Dean. I couldn't find a car I liked. I really wasn't ready to get a car, I had no idea what I wanted. The car magazines I read like Audi's and claim that they're good cars. It's my first non-domestic car. We'll see how I like it, and I hope it's not going to be a problem.

Well, if you're not upside down, I'd take it straight to a Toyota/Nissan/Honda/Acura/Infiniti/Lexus/and even Mazda dealership and trade it in before it starts hiccupping on you.

If you're hell-bent on keeping it, I'd have it blessed by a priest, a wicca, a rabbi, a preacher, and a voodoo queen. That way you've covered all the bases.

In all seriousness, good luck with it. If you only have it in the shop a couple times a year and only drop a couple thou a year then you've got yourself a good Audi.

BlondeSoonerGirl
12/28/2007, 11:07 AM
Dang, Doc. Car wrecks are scary. Glad you're alright.

TUSooner
12/28/2007, 11:08 AM
Better luck in the next year Doc.

And, btw, I just bought Mrs TU a sweet little 99 A4, low miles and owned only by a nice, careful lady who took real good care of it.
So far so good! :D

Boarder
12/28/2007, 11:11 AM
Yeah, but it's so fun to say. OWWWdi OWWWdi

Kind of rolls off the tongue.

Sorry about the goat. This is a sign that you need to get one of the new Camaros.

C&CDean
12/28/2007, 11:12 AM
Better luck in the next year Doc.

And, btw, I just bought Mrs TU a sweet little 99 A4, low miles and owned only by a nice, careful lady who took real good care of it.
So far so good! :D

[dean with his head in his hands]for the love of god why?[/dean with his head in his hands]

C&CDean
12/28/2007, 11:13 AM

Sorry about the goat. This is a sign that you need to get one of the new Mustang Saleens.

Fixed.

TexasSooner01
12/28/2007, 11:25 AM

I totally agree with you!!! My Old Faithfull (corrolla) was totaled when a moron driving a cement truck decided to make an illegal right turn and smashed me into a concrete wall. Then the beyonce took off and fled the scene...:mad: :mad: :mad: luckily i was able to get the txdot number off the truck and the lawsuit is forthcomming...

It could have been much worse. I love my new vehicle but I also miss not having payments! :(

I am glad you are alright. 2008 will be better, it has to be!!!

Boarder
12/28/2007, 12:00 PM
Ol' Dean's getting pretty computer fancy!

Doc doesn't need a racecar.

GottaHavePride
12/28/2007, 12:06 PM
But he might need some gold spinners on his new Audi.

Boarder
12/28/2007, 12:17 PM
I actually got a call before Christmas from some guy wanting spinners. I gently explained to him that they were no longer, um, considered something you'd put on your car.

TopDaugIn2000
12/28/2007, 12:18 PM
that's what you're selling on ebay isn't it...

Tailwind
12/28/2007, 12:28 PM
Tough luck Doc...bit 2007 is almost over....Yay!I hope 2008 totaly treats you better.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/28/2007, 12:36 PM
2008 is gonna be a lot betta Doc...

OCUDad
12/28/2007, 01:20 PM
Sorry to hear it, Doc. Glad you're in one piece. Here's hoping 2008 is a great year for you with no car problems.

Mjcpr
12/28/2007, 01:26 PM
Airbags smell very bad.

Are you sure you didn't just drop a squishy? Car wrecks can be scary you know.

Glad you're okay.

picasso
12/28/2007, 01:30 PM
ah man that sucks.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/28/2007, 01:32 PM
[Doc's Dad] That's gonna put 50 bajillion Americans outta work!!! [/Doc's Dad] Oh well, at least it's used.

Glad you're ok. Did you go see a doctor?

OCUDad
12/28/2007, 01:50 PM
Did you go see a real doctor?Fixed.

yermom
12/28/2007, 02:03 PM
dang Doc, that sucks

if the Audi is as much like VWs as i think they are, yeah the maintenance could be a problem

should be a nice ride though

SicEmBaylor
12/28/2007, 02:14 PM

Don't listen to him Doc. He has made similar comments about my Beetle and Miata.

yermom
12/28/2007, 02:23 PM
you know it's bad when SicEm is on your side ;)

OUDoc
12/28/2007, 02:33 PM
you know it's bad when SicEm is on your side ;)
I know. :D

C&CDean
12/28/2007, 02:54 PM
Don't listen to him Doc. He has made similar comments about my Beetle and Miata.

Homo you don't. I shant idley stand by whilst you disparage my sterling reputation.

I said a) a guy that drives a POS Beetle is a fag
b) a guy that drives a Miata is a uber-fag

Get it straight holmes.

StoopTroup
12/28/2007, 06:19 PM
^
:pop:

Oh....Doc...

Sorry to hear about your accident.

Glad your OK.

r5TPsooner
12/28/2007, 06:31 PM

I had a co-worker that owned an Audi A4 and when the warranty ran out on it, the damned thing nearly bankrupted him every time that it needed service which was constantly.

Best of luck on the Audi but they are an expensive POS to own! However, they do look pretty.

I'll gladly stick with a gas guzzling pick-up truck.:D

olevetonahill
12/28/2007, 06:34 PM
Doc why dont you stay home till the 2nd
Glad your Ok my friend

Oldnslo
12/28/2007, 06:45 PM
Glad you're okay, Doc.

Don't listen to anybody about the car. You'll love driving it.

Mjcpr
12/28/2007, 07:18 PM
Don't listen to anybody about the car. You'll love driving it.

Now he will never know you said this.

OUDoc
12/28/2007, 09:08 PM
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s290/oudoc/GTOcrash005.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s290/oudoc/GTOcrash006.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s290/oudoc/GTOcrash001.jpg

:(

soonerboomer93
12/28/2007, 10:01 PM
glad you're ok Doc. I really hope next year treats you a lot better.

Boarder
12/28/2007, 10:28 PM
Man, those tires sure look good!

Pretty hard hit, actually. Glad you're OK. Look how the cowl is bent down even. Must have popped him a good one.

OUDoc
12/28/2007, 10:38 PM
Man, those tires sure look good!

Pretty hard hit, actually. Glad you're OK. Look how the cowl is bent down even. Must have popped him a good one.
Them's LWM tires!

I hit him pretty good alright. :O

OUDoc
12/28/2007, 10:42 PM
A better view of how much the front end got flattened.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s290/oudoc/GTOcrash014.jpg

TheHumanAlphabet
12/29/2007, 04:00 AM
Sorry to hear that doc. Hope you are okay.

Obligatory - was he an illegal? as well as uninsured question.
I'd get the po po to up the charges to making false statements...
Audi's - over priced VWs - IMO, I understand - it sucks to have to replace something quickly and you have no idea what you want.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/29/2007, 04:11 AM
I actually got a call before Christmas from some guy wanting spinners. I gently explained to him that they were no longer, um, considered something you'd put on your car.

What!!?!! :eek:

Don't tell that to the drivers here in Houston, with all the rent 'em dubs and tire shops...

Flagstaffsooner
12/29/2007, 04:14 AM

:(Is that an air bag or did Robert Allen leave his panties on your steering wheel?:D

I hope 2008 turns out better for all of us.

OklaPony
12/29/2007, 08:26 AM

Sorry about the goat. This is a sign that you need to get one of the new Camaros.

Sorry about the goat. This is a sign that you need to get one of the new Mustang Saleens.

Fixed.

Dang, you beat me to the punch. I was actually going to insert "Supercharged Cobras".

Sorry to hear about the hot rod. As a dyed-in-the-wool Ford guy (hence my nick) I prefer Mustangs but those GTO's are good-running cars. I think Pontiac could've had a real hit on their hands when they brought that car over from Aussieland if they'd had a little better marketing plan to execute. A little less weight, a little better price, and they probably still be crankin' 'em out.

Good luck with the Ouch-i, Doc. If that's the type of car you decide you really enjoy you may want to take a look at the Acura. A real close friend of mine was looking in that market segment about a year ago for a car to use in his on-the-road sales gig. The Audi was one that was in the running but he ultimately decided on an Acura TL-S. Having ridden it several times I can say he made an excellent choice... very nice ride.

Oldnslo
12/29/2007, 11:34 AM
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s290/oudoc/GTOcrash005.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s290/oudoc/GTOcrash006.jpg

d00d! We can fix it! My Dad's got an awesome set of tools!

OUDoc
12/29/2007, 11:43 AM
d00d! We can fix it! My Dad's got an awesome set of tools!
Thanks, Spicoli.

StoopTroup
12/29/2007, 12:02 PM
Maybe Olevet, Oldnslo and a few of us could at least turn that thing into a street class racer...slap some SoonerFans.COM stickers on it and....

OUDoc
12/29/2007, 01:43 PM
Maybe Olevet, Oldnslo and a few of us could at least turn that thing into a street class racer...slap some SoonerFans.COM stickers on it and....
State Farm owns it now. :(

StoopTroup
12/29/2007, 01:53 PM
Well....at least it's in Good Hands.

TopDaugIn2000
12/29/2007, 02:04 PM
State Farm owns my old Camry too, paid a pretty penny for it too (I sure was glad!)

oh, and talk to me about smashed front ends when you take out a semi :P

(but don't really hit one...it hurts)

sooneron
12/29/2007, 04:32 PM
I hope you're OK, Doc. I wondered who that was that bought the gto. :D

Zbird
12/29/2007, 04:55 PM
Some dillhole ran the red light early Christmas Eve while I was on my way to the hospital. Airbags smell very bad.
He was kind enough to lie about his insurance to the police. Turns out, he doesn't actually have any.
My car is totaled. I loved that car. It held up really well in the accident though.

I replaced it with a 2005 Audi A6 (don't tell Dean). Not really a hot rod like the GTO ;). I've never bought a used car before, but I got a good deal on it. I'll miss the GTO.

Sorry for the bad luck & pain Doc. Sorrier still for the Audi. Gotta side with Dean on this one. Had a brand new 1972 100LS. Great car when it ran. Had to have it towed from Enid to OKC $150 minimum + repair costs, lose a day at work, and spend a minimum $100 for an oil change. Great gas mileage (25mpg driving 80 & pulling a motorclycle trailer with two bikes accross western OK and eastern CO) and fun to drive WHEN IT RAN. Good Luck!

sooneron
12/29/2007, 05:18 PM
Yeah, that 1972 model should be a good barometer of what kind of car is being made in 2007.

AggieTool
12/29/2007, 10:14 PM
Whew, I thought you were talkin 'bout a real GTO.....

You know, '68 Judge w/dual-gate shifter.;)

Glad yer ok.:(

OklaPony
12/30/2007, 12:09 AM
Just for grins, you ought to call and see how much the insurance company would want to sell the car back to you. If the motor's still in good shape, there's plenty of folks out there who like to buy 'em out of wrecks and if it's the newer, larger displacement version it would almost surely be a worthwhile endeavor.

Oh yeah... Aggie Tool - I think The Judge was introduced in '69, might want to check the history books on that one. :)

OUDoc
12/30/2007, 11:50 AM
Just for grins, you ought to call and see how much the insurance company would want to sell the car back to you. If the motor's still in good shape, there's plenty of folks out there who like to buy 'em out of wrecks and if it's the newer, larger displacement version it would almost surely be a worthwhile endeavor.

It was totaled before he even got to look at the engine, but I don't think there's any way the aluminum block isn't damaged. And it was the 5.7L, not the 6.0L.

Okla-homey
12/30/2007, 01:10 PM
We should have pole on how many of us have had State Farm Mutual Insurance Company buy our veehickles off'n us. Put me down for one Ford F-Onefitty. In my case, the red-light runner had SF inshorance. Thus, my company got off without paying a nickel. Seems like they should have sent me a gift card or something, but, they didn't.

KC//CRIMSON
12/30/2007, 01:20 PM

That's a trip you posted this. A relative of ours got his GTO wasted the same day and damn near the same way you did. Some old lady ran through an intersection and totaled their GTO. She had insurance though.;)

usmc-sooner
12/30/2007, 01:36 PM
my great aunt sold me an old Audi one time. Dean's right about the repairs they were expensive but mine never broke down. It was a 70's model and it made through the 80's and most of the 90's with no major problems. I traded it for an old farm truck with my dad and I don't think it ever gave him any major problems. I never got used to the battery being under the back seat.

glad you're ok

bluedogok
12/30/2007, 04:44 PM
We should have pole on how many of us have had State Farm Mutual Insurance Company buy our veehickles off'n us. Put me down for one Ford F-Onefitty. In my case, the red-light runner had SF inshorance. Thus, my company got off without paying a nickel. Seems like they should have sent me a gift card or something, but, they didn't.
Did they not even give you the common courtesy of a reach around?

Sorry about your year Doc, I know it's been a rough one. Those GTO's are pretty nice cars, I have been considering an Audi TT as a complement to my F-150.

My wife's 2004 Ford Escape Limited was hit this year by the Austin Fire Department "Safety House" while stopped at a light, he tried to stop, slid by and hit her with the house. The guy driving was someone that she used to officiate football games with. We ended up dealing with the city attorney, a friend with Austin/Travis County EMS said to just deal with them directly. Had one estimate done ($7,500 +/-) and the city's estimator came in about $200 lower. A couple of weeks after the estimator looked at it we had a check. We took it to the dealer and they arranged for a rental and all was taken care of, 6 weeks later it was fixed. The total including rental came to about $9,500, if it would have been an insurance company it would have been totaled. We bought the car for $16,000 two years ago with 14,000 miles and it now has over 50,000 miles.

Zbird
12/30/2007, 08:38 PM
Yeah, that 1972 model should be a good barometer of what kind of car is being made in 2007.

Quality control and dealerships haven't improved. Neither has reliability.

Sooner_Bob
12/31/2007, 09:28 AM
Dang Doc . . . sorry to hear about your wreck. Glad you came out ok.

Too bad you didn't have the chance to use a rental for a week or so to give yourself a chance to find a real car. :D

IB4OU2
12/31/2007, 10:45 AM

AMEN! Glad your'e OK brother...:(