PDA

View Full Version : Mack Delusional, or maybe the voters

auto
12/28/2007, 08:42 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls07/columns/story?columnist=feldman_bruce&id=3170641

"This win gives us a tremendous amount of momentum," Brown said. "Hopefully, we'll start next season in the top five."

MichiganSooner
12/28/2007, 08:49 AM
I hope they are in the Top 5 when we whup them in Dallas.

Monster Zero
12/28/2007, 09:05 AM
I hope they are in the Top 5 when we whup them in Dallas.
He's concerned about where he starts next year in the polls. Good thing we have a coach who's interested in where his team finishes in the polls.

XingTheRubicon
12/28/2007, 09:29 AM
Texas looked pretty good last night. The Pac 10 co champs looked like a high school team.

TheUnnamedSooner
12/28/2007, 09:32 AM
I'm glad they showed how overrated the pac-10 is.

stoopified
12/28/2007, 09:48 AM
Glad Mac has a reason to clap.

Judge Smails
12/28/2007, 10:05 AM
If it was momentum he wanted, he should have just taken a knee.

PLaw
12/28/2007, 10:06 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls07/columns/story?columnist=feldman_bruce&id=3170641

"This win gives us a tremendous amount of momentum," Brown said. "Hopefully, we'll start next season in the top five."

Is Mack on crack? Next years top 5 - in no particular order:

1. OU
2. SUC
3. tOSU
4. Florida
5. LSU

I would bet the house on that being the pre-season top 5.

BOOMER

bri
12/28/2007, 10:12 AM
Jesus, people, I know they're our hated rivals and sh*t, but what the hell is he supposed to say?

"Aw hell, I just hope we can sneak in there somewheres between 13 and 17 next year to start the season."

Sheesh.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/28/2007, 10:15 AM
I'm just glad Mack's off the hot seat, with that win.

auto
12/28/2007, 10:18 AM
Jesus, people, I know they're our hated rivals and sh*t, but what the hell is he supposed to say?

"Aw hell, I just hope we can sneak in there somewheres between 13 and 17 next year to start the season."

Sheesh.

Nothing to do with being hated rivals, I am glad they won. Like PLAW said, that will most likely be the TOP 5 next season.

meoveryouxinfinity
12/28/2007, 10:20 AM

Sheesh.
"I'm glad we don't play KSU!"

Desert Sapper
12/28/2007, 10:21 AM
The top 5 will depend largely on how many underclassmen declare for the draft.

bri
12/28/2007, 10:21 AM
I know that and you know that, but it's Mack's job to sell the program, same as Bob's. If he didn't set a lofty goal for his program, we'd give him hell for that.

PLaw
12/28/2007, 10:23 AM

Sheesh.

He should have simply left it with "it was a great victory. The kids really responded during our tough bowl preparation practices. Really liked the way they recommitted themselves to texass football. I'm looking forward to that same attitude during spring ball and through the summer. I think we have set the right tone needed to compete for the South Division next season."

The politicking at this point is a big sour apple to most listeners.

BOOMER

devOUt
12/28/2007, 10:25 AM
Mack is the grand master of an entire legion of sunshine pumpers.

47Wins
12/28/2007, 10:28 AM
Mack should have expressed his everlasting thanks to ASU for making the horns look like world beaters. They'll come in about 8-12 next season

meoveryouxinfinity
12/28/2007, 10:43 AM
Unfortunately all of what Mack has said will be forgotten. During the next few weeks the pollsters, critics, and fans will watch around 25 more games. Sucks playing in December, eh Macky?

Blues1
12/28/2007, 11:31 AM
Mack doesn't know when to shut up ....JMHO...!!!

illinisooner
12/28/2007, 11:47 AM
This is what I was afraid of...I said before the game that if Texas won, we wouldn't stop hearing about "the momentum" they have going into 2008. Ugh. Top 10, probably. Top 5, no. The hype is bigger in Texas.

SoonerinSouthlake
12/28/2007, 11:54 AM
Jesus, people, I know they're our hated rivals and sh*t, but

Sheesh.

I know I hate UT, but are you really insinuating that the Lord hates them too?

GottaHavePride
12/28/2007, 12:09 PM
He's concerned about where he starts next year in the polls. Good thing we have a coach who's interested in where his team finishes in the polls.

If there's something recent years have shown, it's that when things shake out toward the end of the year, teams that started the year highly ranked have an advantage, in that voters tend not to move them down because other teams out-perform them. Starting highly ranked helps.

So, even though they realistically won't start that high, no reason not to try to give your team a boost for next year.

bluedogok
12/28/2007, 12:10 PM
The hype is bigger in Texas.
Luckily that is all there is........

47straight
12/28/2007, 12:23 PM
The standard stoops line on preseason polls is usually, 'We haven't proven anything yet, we don't pay attention to that, that's for you the media and the fans..."

I like our coach.

lexsooner
12/28/2007, 12:31 PM
This win won't give the horns any boost in the pre-season polls. Voters are quite aware the Holiday Bowl has become like a home game for Texas, so the win doesn't carry much weight.

Lott's Bandana
12/28/2007, 12:38 PM
Macko needs to understand that only suc gets to beat those guys and become "the hottest team in football".
That's the rule.

Having said that, them desert boys was a pile of SUCCS last night.

OKC-SLC
12/28/2007, 03:15 PM
I know I hate UT, but are you really insinuating that the Lord hates them too?
Personally, I believe this.

C&CDean
12/28/2007, 04:04 PM
I know that and you know that, but it's Mack's job to sell the program, same as Bob's. If he didn't set a lofty goal for his program, we'd give him hell for that.

Bull**** son.

Can you even imagine Bob Stoops talking about where his team will be ranked next year? His comments would be something like "I don't really think about that kind of stuff. I'll just let you guys figure it out. Where we're ranked in August really doesn't mean a thing to me and I don't spend one second thinking about it. That stuff is for you sportswriters and the fans. Everybody knows that. Certainly."

TheUnnamedSooner
12/28/2007, 04:21 PM
^^^^^ Well, sure, absolutely.

Flagstaffsooner
12/28/2007, 04:25 PM
I know I hate UT, but are you really insinuating that the Lord hates them too?Sure, horns and cloven hooves, not to mention the snake oil salesman in the Garden of Eden.:D

Seamus
12/28/2007, 04:49 PM
Dean, you posted that in a really great way :D

utex74
12/28/2007, 07:23 PM
Nothing to do with being hated rivals, I am glad they won. Like PLAW said, that will most likely be the TOP 5 next season.

I don't know how much talent three of those schools lose next year. As much as it pains me, I do expect you guys to be ranked #1 in the pre-season. Unless you lay an egg in the Fiesta Bowl, which is possible, but I don't expect it.

MissouriSooner
12/28/2007, 07:40 PM
It's been said before in previous posts, but a lot of Junior College teams would have looked good against ASU. What a sorry display of football by the Sun Devils.

goingoneight
12/28/2007, 08:31 PM
I'm just glad Mack's off the hot seat, with that win.

Because a coach two years separated from a National Championship was on the hot seat, right?

goingoneight
12/28/2007, 08:37 PM
The standard stoops line on preseason polls is usually, 'We haven't proven anything yet, we don't pay attention to that, that's for you the media and the fans..."

I like our coach.

I don't buy his standard speech all the time, though. He talks about rankings and stats all the time unti you quiz him on it or ask him a question he doesn't want to answer.

For instance, he knew every stat line on Bradford versus Daniel off the top of his head, and knew right after the BIG 12 Championship was over exactly how to campaign for his team and against LSU with stats, rankings, etc. He does pay attention. They all do.

Having said that, he does emphasize the "prove it" mentality to the players.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/28/2007, 08:54 PM
Because a coach two years separated from a National Championship was on the hot seat, right?Simmering on the back burner...Not yet moved to the high position.

SoonerBacker
12/28/2007, 08:56 PM
There's one BIG difference in Mack's politicing and Stoops' comments after the Big XII Championship game. Mack is trying to get folks to vote his team in the top 5 for next August. Stoops was trying to get his team into the National Championshp game THIS year.

bri
12/28/2007, 09:10 PM
Bull**** son.

Can you even imagine Bob Stoops talking about where his team will be ranked next year? His comments would be something like "I don't really think about that kind of stuff. I'll just let you guys figure it out. Where we're ranked in August really doesn't mean a thing to me and I don't spend one second thinking about it. That stuff is for you sportswriters and the fans. Everybody knows that. Certainly."

Well, Bob does it a little differently. Bob always makes no bones about the fact that our goal is to win the South, then the Big 12, and then hopefully a national title. Mack knows this, so he adjusts his publicly stated goals accordingly. "We want to be a Top 5 team and play in a BCS bowl"...because OU's gonna win the division and the conference, so we gotta settle. :D

azzbakwardz
12/30/2007, 09:26 PM
Texas looked pretty good last night. The Pac 10 co champs looked like a high school team.

Yep playing an over rated PAC 10 high school team will do that for ya!:D

Crucifax Autumn
12/31/2007, 01:19 AM
Heh!

proudsoonergal
12/31/2007, 01:54 AM
"I'm glad we don't play KSU!"

Or, "Do we really have to play OU and A&M again?"

insuranceman_22
12/31/2007, 01:54 AM
I'm not so sure that texas looked all that great....perhaps it was more that asu looked pretty weak....... Nice victory and all, but asu didn't play well at all....sort of like an unmentionable in the rose a few years back for us..... lucky for asu it was texas they were playing

Crucifax Autumn
12/31/2007, 02:05 AM
either way, it's out only conference win so far so I have to give uterus credit.

KingDavid
12/31/2007, 02:33 AM
I hope Texas is ranked #1 when the season opens and that they stay there until we grind them up and spread them over the Cotton Bowl turf like a cheap fertilizer.

Then, I hope they win every game after that and finish #3 in the BCS poll.

Crucifax Autumn
12/31/2007, 02:54 AM
Precisely what I think! The higher ranked our opponents, the better for us provided we kick their azzes!

auto
12/31/2007, 07:40 AM
I hope Texas is ranked #1 when the season opens and that they stay there until we grind them up and spread them over the Cotton Bowl turf like a cheap fertilizer.

Then, I hope they win every game after that and finish #3 in the BCS poll.

Yep, keep that 10 win season thing going and keep Mack and the Staff content.:D :mack:

BIG_IKE
12/31/2007, 09:57 AM
In all honesty Texas will be in the Top 10 at least next season.
We act like they dont return 10 starters on offense and quite a few on defense too. The reason they played well in my opinion was because someone whispered in Macks ear after the A&M loss and it looked liked he replaced alot of folks, particularly on defense. He benched several Senior starters and played the younger guys. Wonder how that played out in the locker room.

fossil
12/31/2007, 05:49 PM

Sheesh.
How 'bout this Bri? Just keeping his damned pie hold shut. He just makes a fool out of himself whenever he talks.

47straight
12/31/2007, 10:44 PM
I don't buy his standard speech all the time, though. He talks about rankings and stats all the time unti you quiz him on it or ask him a question he doesn't want to answer.

For instance, he knew every stat line on Bradford versus Daniel off the top of his head, and knew right after the BIG 12 Championship was over exactly how to campaign for his team and against LSU with stats, rankings, etc. He does pay attention. They all do.

Having said that, he does emphasize the "prove it" mentality to the players.

Sure, but all of that is at the END of the season. Not the preseason stuff.

utex74
1/1/2008, 01:14 AM
In all honesty Texas will be in the Top 10 at least next season.
We act like they dont return 10 starters on offense and quite a few on defense too. The reason they played well in my opinion was because someone whispered in Macks ear after the A&M loss and it looked liked he replaced alot of folks, particularly on defense. He benched several Senior starters and played the younger guys. Wonder how that played out in the locker room.

However it played out, I hope he keeps it up through the spring and next year. It wasn't the execution but the effort I loved. Young 20-something athletes respond to tough love. Something Stoops knows well.

insuranceman_22
1/1/2008, 02:17 AM
utex - you make a good point, but I'd really like to see the all smiles and loving Mac back real soon.....