PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Bowl Blunder

insuranceman_22
12/27/2007, 09:30 PM
Anybody see Mac's stepson, Jessie touch the ball on the fumble and completely turn the momentum in the Holiday Bowl.....now that was a weird....

birddog
12/27/2007, 09:35 PM
they said his name is chris.

SoonerLB
12/27/2007, 09:35 PM
I think he is about to become real popular over on the fark board! :D

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/27/2007, 09:36 PM
Anybody see Mac's stepson, Jessie touch the ball on the fumble and completely turn the momentum in the Holiday Bowl.....now that was a weird....

That was one of the strangest plays I've ever seen. Honestly though I don't think the dude actually touched the ball.

birddog
12/27/2007, 09:37 PM
yeah but couldn't it be considered a sideline violation, or something?

Leroy Lizard
12/27/2007, 09:44 PM
The UT staff had already been given a sideline warning. So it would have been a penalty, regardless.

OKLA21FAN
12/27/2007, 09:49 PM
The UT staff had already been given a sideline warning. So it would have been a penalty, regardless.
not so fast professor. are you sure that 'being on the field of play' is revue able in the first place?

olevetonahill
12/27/2007, 09:53 PM
3 pgs worth in the game thread .

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/27/2007, 09:53 PM

Wrong again. You get 2 sideline warnings and you get penalized on the 3rd. I'm not saying that it wasn't a dumbass move and didn't deserve a flag just on principle but the call as it was ruled on the field was wrong.

proudsoonergal
12/27/2007, 10:02 PM
I thought he touched it with his thumb.

My question - with the dead ball/unsportsman conduct penalty that was called, why did ASU get the ball without an automatic first down? They got the ball back, but it was 4th down. Obviously, they converted into a touchdown, so no harm in the result, but if someone can explain that to me I'd appreciate it. TIA. :)

Leroy Lizard
12/27/2007, 10:04 PM
I don't think referees are required to give two warnings. As long as they think that a sideline infraction interrupted the field of play, they can throw the flag.

Does anyone know for sure?

not so fast professor. are you sure that 'being on the field of play' is revue able in the first place?

If it interrupts the play on the field, I believe it is. And I think the proximity of the coach to the live ball would make it reviewable. Not sure, though.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/27/2007, 10:09 PM

My question - with the dead ball/unsportsman conduct penalty that was called, why did ASU get the ball without an automatic first down? They got the ball back, but it was 4th down. Obviously, they converted into a touchdown, so no harm in the result, but if someone can explain that to me I'd appreciate it. TIA. :)

I really doubt the officials will have an explanation for it for at least a few days until they get their story straight. Since the Pac 10 is involved (though I doubt they are Pac 10 officials) I expect an article in a few days where the officials admit that they got the call wrong.

Still funny as hell though.

proudsoonergal
12/27/2007, 10:16 PM
Apparently it is SEC officials.

Leroy Lizard
12/27/2007, 10:23 PM
Reviewable play according to the NCAA:

Any person who is not a player interfering with live-ball action occurring
in the field of play (Rules 9-1-4 and 9-2-3-c).

Touching is not required for it to be a reviewable play.

sooner n houston
12/27/2007, 10:24 PM
You gotta see this thread, about Chris, on hornfans. Talk about fark material!!! :D

http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=football&Number=5384627&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=all

85Sooner
12/27/2007, 10:25 PM
From what I saw , he did not touch the ball.

brown town sooner
12/27/2007, 11:08 PM
Mack Brown: Let me answer for Chris

brown town sooner
12/27/2007, 11:16 PM
http://http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=51291822&albumID=0&imageID=12367294

I like riding ponies

proudsoonergal
12/28/2007, 12:25 AM
You gotta see this thread, about Chris, on hornfans. Talk about fark material!!! :D

http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=football&Number=5384627&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=all

The pics are from his myspace page. It's pretty funny.

:D

SouthFortySooner
12/28/2007, 12:35 AM
Before I throw this big ole rock in my glass house. Do the Sooner players fan out on to the field to watch the plays downfield? Seriously?

Leroy Lizard
12/28/2007, 06:24 AM
Relevance?

OKLA21FAN
12/28/2007, 08:28 AM

sadly professor, thats was not what the review was looking at. (simply being on the field of play) there was no question about where that coach was. The explanation was that the 'coach touched a live ball'. if the ruling was simply rule 9.1.4, then the replay should have only taken about 5 seconds to determine.

CONCLUSIVE!

and after the NU/MICH debacle at the end of the Alamo bowl a couple of years ago, simply 'being on the field of play', is not interference. ;)

OklaPony
12/28/2007, 09:16 AM
That entire sequence of events was one giant ball of weirdness. I sure would like to know what angle the replay official had that conclusively proved that he touched the ball. It was certainly not conclusive from the angles that were presented to the viewing public. Far be it from me to actually defend a whorn but I thought the kid acquitted himself admirably in the post-game interview on the field.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/28/2007, 09:32 AM

After review they said the ball was touched though and that was wrong. If the same standard is used then a pass interference call that is waived off because the ball was ruled uncatchable should by rule be an illegal contact.

The coach didn't touch the ball so the call was wrong. Probably deserved a flag for looking like an idiot but the ruling was wrong.

ESPN did a pretty good job of pulling the guys pants down and giving him a wedgie on national TV too. Players have about 100 chances in a game to make up for a mistake. That guy was helpless and actually handled himself quite well considering.

stoopified
12/28/2007, 09:44 AM
Mack Brown: Let me answer for Chris
:D

soonernation
12/28/2007, 10:23 AM

I was not a dead ball penalty. I guess that's the reason they did not get a first down.

PLaw
12/28/2007, 10:27 AM
That was one of the strangest plays I've ever seen. Honestly though I don't think the dude actually touched the ball.

Heck, there was a half a dozen players standing on the field. If the official doesn't flag Chris Jessie, then he could have nailed them for illegal participation. Personally, I don't believe the kid touched the ball and there wasn't sufficient video evidence to over turn the call on the field. The whiney orange got screwed.;) It certainly doesn't make up for the 85 cotton bowl.

BOOMER

sooner518
12/28/2007, 11:00 AM
I was not a dead ball penalty. I guess that's the reason they did not get a first down.
i know there was another flag on the play, so perhaps they were offsetting penalties...

i was on an airplane when it happenned and i just saw the replays so I obviously have no idea what im talking about

stunandun
12/28/2007, 04:38 PM
I liked the little barb about him being on the sidelines for the OU/Texas game next year. They can't escape the ridicule of our superior program.

StoopTroup
12/28/2007, 06:39 PM
The stuff in Fark Central is hilarious....