PDA

View Full Version : More than 3 million of you won't get your tax rebate check in February

Okla-homey
12/27/2007, 07:10 PM
because this numb-nutz Congress decided to jack around with the "alternative minimum tax" right before they spilt for the holidays.

Personally, I'm on record as taking the position if you are getting any rebate at all, you need to adjust your withholding so you don't. I do recognize, however, many of my hillbilly brothern and sistern treat their tax return like some kind of savings account (which doesn't pay them interest.):rolleyes:

Anyway, if you don't get that check in time for Valentine's Day, thank those doofusses on the Hill.

That is all.

Petro-Sooner
12/27/2007, 07:17 PM
I'll be interested to see if and how much I have to pay this year. Started my new job this past year.

Widescreen
12/27/2007, 07:29 PM
So if they don't do anything, there won't be a delay. Right?

Okla-homey
12/27/2007, 07:33 PM
So if they don't do anything, there won't be a delay. Right?

No, that's the thing. They changed the tax code, so the IRS will need extra time to figure out all the implications and permutations, which will no doubt have a ripple effect on all the "tax preparer" shysters who fill out poor folks' 1040EZ for them. Thus, delayed rebates.

sooner_born_1960
12/27/2007, 07:46 PM
Why are they "tax preparer" shysters? They are only charging what people are voluntarily willing to pay.

yermom
12/27/2007, 07:50 PM
i don't usually get my crap from my employer until the end of January anyway

TopDaugIn2000
12/27/2007, 07:56 PM
Hopefully I"ll get a good return this year since I have a real deduction for a change (mortgage interest). THEN I can adjust my withholdings accordingly for the next year.

They rape us single folks. DANG.

LilSooner
12/27/2007, 07:57 PM
Unfortunately I am expecting a 5 figure refund check. I have got to figure how many I need to claim so that I don't do this any more. My mom claims 15 or some such nonsense and still got back 8.

trwxxa
12/27/2007, 08:14 PM
If I am not mistaken, the AMT has more to do with the amount of tax owed before you subtract the amount of money paid in than with the amount of the refund.

It was created so that the rich (now the middle middle class) could not use all of the deductions and exemptions and end up owing very little tax, thereby getting almost the entire withholding amount back as a refund. Since the 1040EZ is for those who do not itemmized deductions, they should be able to file away.

I always try to plan to have my return end up being near zero. Why should the government hold my money for me.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/27/2007, 10:23 PM
I'm glad they are fixing the ATM, albeit temporarily. I hate it when I get hammered by the ATM... not being able to take full tax advantage of all my dependents who live in Mexico.

Jerk
12/27/2007, 10:28 PM
Unfortunately I am expecting a 5 figure refund check. I have got to figure how many I need to claim so that I don't do this any more. My mom claims 15 or some such nonsense and still got back 8.

Do you have a litter :confused:

Oh wait, I see what you're saying now. Nevermind. sorry.

Okla-homey
12/28/2007, 08:04 AM
Why are they "tax preparer" shysters? They are only charging what people are voluntarily willing to pay.

Because, commonly, they offer to give a guy a check today, in exchange fro his signing away his rebate to the preparer. They fill out the couple page return, e-file it, and cut the customer a check on the same day. Problem for the pathetic customer is, say that rebate is estimated to be 600 bucks. The check Mr. Tax Preparer/Shylock gives Bubba and Wanda or Demarius and Laquisha is usually about 50 cents on the dollar of the expected rebate. Thus, on the 600 dollar rebate, all they get is 300 bucks. That is an absurdly high charge, but it is nevertheless legal in most locales. The shyster is taking advantage of the fact his ignorant customer needs cash right now.

SoonerTerry
12/28/2007, 08:15 AM
I try to run mine right on the jaged edge

1stTimeCaller
12/28/2007, 10:51 AM
I don't understand this paying taxes thing. They always cut me a check at the end of the year.

Mjcpr
12/28/2007, 10:54 AM
I don't understand this paying taxes thing. They always cut me a check at the end of the year.

I wasn't going to mention this to anybody, but ME TOO!!

I never send them a dime! Suckers.

Widescreen
12/28/2007, 01:03 PM
By the way, this delay only affects those who have to file AMT-related forms. Everyone else can file as soon as they need to.