PDA

View Full Version : Any Rumors on New OU Asisstant Coach?

stoopified
12/27/2007, 11:11 AM
I'm curious to see who ends up as the new WR coach.I am more curious about who gets the nod as co-offensive coordinator.I trust that Bob will make the right choice but IF it were me I think I might give Cale a shot .He has been with Bob since the beginning at OU and IMHO desrves a chance to move up.I would say the same about Jackie Shipp should BV or Wright leave.I think loyalty deserves reward for good coaches.

fadada1
12/27/2007, 11:26 AM
loyalty would say cale gets the nod. i see coach stoops as a business man however, and unfortunately for cale, i don't think he would get it. cale's positon hasn't changed much (or at all) since he was hired. unless we get someone like norm chow, i'd say promote josh. i might cause a stir, but it might also be he best thing for the program. on the other hand, i like having josh on the sideline talking to the QB. putting cale in the pressbox might not have a dramatic affect (other than with his potential playcalling abilities).

tough call.

Rhino
12/27/2007, 12:32 PM
WR coach names being batted around:

Garrick McGee (http://nusports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mcgee_garrick00.html) (Northwestern OC & WR coach / former OU QB)
Jay Norvell (http://uclabruins.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/norvell_jay00.html) (ex-UCLA OC & QB Coach / former OU WR coach for one month)

I bet Norvell gets an NFL job though.
If McGee is hired, I imagine he gets the co-OC title.

Paperclip
12/27/2007, 12:35 PM
Northwestern : OU
West Virginia : Michigan

TheHumanAlphabet
12/27/2007, 01:11 PM
WR coach names being batted around:

Garrick McGee (http://nusports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mcgee_garrick00.html) (Northwestern OC & WR coach / former OU QB)
Jay Norvell (http://uclabruins.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/norvell_jay00.html) (ex-UCLA OC & QB Coach / former OU WR coach for one month)

I bet Norvell gets an NFL job though.
If McGee is hired, I imagine he gets the co-OC title.

Either would be good. McGee might "excite" things up. Northwestern had some decent offensive games this year, no D to speak of, but they did put up points at times.

zeke
12/27/2007, 02:33 PM
Friend of of friend (you know how that usually goes) said that G. Malzon was moving to Norman.
Not that there is any fact to it or that he would be a WR coach.
But has anyone else heard this?

Civicus_Sooner
12/27/2007, 02:37 PM
McGee is one of those guys that got totally screwed by the ineptitude of Howie and Boo.

Paperclip
12/27/2007, 02:40 PM
McGee is one of those guys that got totally screwed by the ineptitude of Howie and Boo.

He played for Gibbs his first year. I'm pretty sure he didn't play under Blake.

sooneron
12/27/2007, 02:50 PM
McGee played 94/95 for OU.

Frosh year at ASu, then to NEO then OU.

stoopified
12/27/2007, 02:56 PM
I think that McGee could be an intresting hire.That would make three coaches that Bob has hired from Northwestern(wilson,Patton,McGee).I would be surprised if Norvell was offered the job after dumping OU for the Colts a few years back afterjust a short time on staff.

You are right Clip.Gibbs than Schnelly(alternated with Eric Moore under Schnelly).

Civicus_Sooner
12/27/2007, 03:04 PM
He played for Gibbs his first year. I'm pretty sure he didn't play under Blake.
Well then he got screwed by Howie. I just remember him looking really good. Especially in the Syracuse game and then poof we had to watch that little QB that thought feet were hands play while McGee stood on the sidelines.

Civicus_Sooner
12/27/2007, 03:06 PM
I think that McGee could be an intresting hire.That would make three coaches that Bob has hired from Northwestern(wilson,Patton,McGee).I would be surprised if Norvell was offered the job after dumping OU for the Colts a few years back afterjust a short time on staff.

You are right Clip.Gibbs than Schnelly(alternated with Eric Moore under Schnelly).Ah yes, good old Eric Moore. Howie said he was "The next Randall Cunningham." :rolleyes:

sooneron
12/27/2007, 03:10 PM
I would be all for McGee getting his shot.

I think rewarding Cale with the co-OC moniker would be right and wrong at the same time. He seems more like a sideline guy to me. Don't get me wrong, I think he's doing a very good job, I always see him on the sidelines coaching the kids- he's exceeded my expectations of him.

Civicus_Sooner
12/27/2007, 03:13 PM
I would be all for McGee getting his shot.

I think rewarding Cale with the co-OC moniker would be right and wrong at the same time. He seems more like a sideline guy to me. Don't get me wrong, I think he's doing a very good job, I always see him on the sidelines coaching the kids- he's exceeded my expectations of him.
Believe it or not, Cale isn't the sharpest tool in the drawer. He burned way more than his fair share of brain cells in college. That's no joke either.

Paperclip
12/27/2007, 03:16 PM
Believe it or not, Cale isn't the sharpest tool in the drawer. He burned way more than his fair share of brain cells in college. That's no joke either.

I always kinda laughed when AD would go to the sideline and Cale was there to "coach him up". I imagined AD saying, "You realize you're Cale Gundy and I'm Adrian Peterson, right?"

sooneron
12/27/2007, 03:23 PM
Uh, I was STILL at OU back when he was there. I know all about brain cell burning on my and his part. I knew a few of the gals that he would "frequent". We crossed paths a few times on CC. I'm not saying he's Norm Chow, it doesn't always take a genius to be a solid coach. From what I've heard, he's matured quite a bit in 17 years. I know that I have.

Desert Sapper
12/27/2007, 03:56 PM
I would love to see Garrick come back to the OU Family. He really got the hose as a senior (Schnelly, ya ****tard). He has proven himself over the last couple years as a position coach and OC. It seems like the most natural progression for us; because of his connection to OU, because of our apparent fascination with Northwestern (which would give him instant credibility with the current Offensive staff), and because he has done a brilliant job at Northern Iowa, with the Jacksonville Jags, with Toledo, with UNLV, and now with Northwestern.

I'd be happy with Norvell, too, but I don't think he's coming to us.

fadada1
12/27/2007, 04:01 PM
Uh, I was STILL at OU back when he was there. I know all about brain cell burning on my and his part. I knew a few of the gals that he would "frequent". We crossed paths a few times on CC. I'm not saying he's Norm Chow, it doesn't always take a genius to be a solid coach. From what I've heard, he's matured quite a bit in 17 years. I know that I have.
i knew one of the ladies that cale would "frequent". let just say, i wish i would've know her in that way. she was a ho (god bless her)... but uber hawt.

never met cale, but knew a bunch of the fellas on the team 89-91.

goingoneight
12/27/2007, 09:20 PM
Doesn't Seth Litrell coach receivers at Texas Tech? I'd say they know a thing or two about offense and catching passes.

southern sooner
12/27/2007, 11:12 PM
Gus from Tulsa to OU

RADsooner
12/27/2007, 11:26 PM
Gus from Tulsa to OU

he doesnt really fit the way stoops wants the offense to run- BALANCE

GottaHavePride
12/28/2007, 12:02 AM
I'm curious to see who ends up as the new WR coach.I am more curious about who gets the nod as co-offensive coordinator.I trust that Bob will make the right choice but IF it were me I think I might give Cale a shot .He has been with Bob since the beginning at OU and IMHO desrves a chance to move up.I would say the same about Jackie Shipp should BV or Wright leave.I think loyalty deserves reward for good coaches.

I ask this every time we have a vacancy like this, but here goes again. Why do we always act like we have to have co-coordinators. Isn't it more efficient to name on guy the coordinator and then just have assistant coaches? I mean sure, we've been using two guys calling the shots, but is there actually anything wrong with just calling one guy "the guy"?

goingoneight
12/28/2007, 01:41 AM
I ask this every time we have a vacancy like this, but here goes again. Why do we always act like we have to have co-coordinators. Isn't it more efficient to name on guy the coordinator and then just have assistant coaches? I mean sure, we've been using two guys calling the shots, but is there actually anything wrong with just calling one guy "the guy"?

Co-coordinator:

A guy who is a QB coach/Co-coordinator works solely with his quarterback. He doesn't yell at Malcom Kelly for dropping a pass, he doesn't rip Allen patrick for fumbling and he doesn't make Phil Loadholt run a mile for whiffing on a block. He coaches Sam, Keith and Joey, and gives "bum reps" to the walk-ons who also are listed as quarterbacks. "Bum reps" are like plays where you want all of your guys to watch something from a coach's perspective, like routes, snap timing, protection breakdown drills along the LOS, etc.

The co-coordinators all have responsibilities to their units, be it tight ends, offensive line, wide receivers, etc. They have daily meetings where they devise a practice plan and gameplan.

The 'head-honcho' Coordinator, currently Kevin Wilson, usually watches and breaks down the opponet's defense from the boothe in the press box. He relays who's blitzing where, who's one-on-one where, who can't tackle for shat, what needs to be done to make a play. They call it, we try to run it on the field.

In the Colorado game, the game where OUr offense cost us greatly with dropped passes, the heat was on Kevin Sumlin and the wid receiver corps to get the fark with the program. You can't bash Kevin Wilson for dropped passes, tipped balls, holding, and your star receiver not stepping up and being vocal about not getting any bals thrown his way.

In the Texas Tech game, you look to Josh Heupel and Kevin Wilson. Sure they probably had a GREAT plan to expose Tech's secondary. But when Sam went down, no adjustment was made to help Joey win. He kept throwing passes he couldn't complete for too long. DeMarco was lighting them up, but wasn't getting the ball as much as it was clearly evident he needed it to help us win the game. When your backup is struggling, you don't open the second half with three passes. You man up along the line and force your running game.

Now, Heupel and Sumlin are obviously great coaches... but as the main man, Bob Stoops will go up to these guys sometime in between Saturday night and Monday presser and ask what happened, why it happened, how it can be corrected. The make it a focal point and you get back out there next Saturday and see if you've corrected your problem.
He coordinates the quarterbacks' games respectively.

The "coordinate" the offense through coaches' meetings and unit develoments.

As you can see, if you understand how it all works your coaching is usually graded as a well-oiled machine with success as a unit. But one simple miscommunication and you could have Big Phil blocking the wrong guy, AP drops the handoff because he thinks it's play-action, your opponents' D races through the gaping hole Big Phil just left and scoops up AP's fumble, Sam gets hurt trying to make the tackle.

KingDavid
12/28/2007, 03:32 AM
I think the title is more ego-stroking than anything. Kevin Wilson is the coordinator. Co-coordinator means "next in line" as much as anything. And that is why it won't be Cale. He doesn't have the same fiber or potential has Heupel, even if Heupel has less seniority. This is not an airline. The best talent plays.

AlbqSooner
12/28/2007, 07:25 AM
Just a guess, but if you check the Org chart for the football team and the concomitant pay scales, I suggest that you will find an answer for the "Co" designation. Stoops seems to work hard at making his assistants well paid.

Monster Zero
12/28/2007, 08:17 AM
Here's a vote for our homey Garrick McGee. It would be sweet justice after the way he was treated during the reign of terror.

Scott D
12/28/2007, 10:53 AM
Gus from Tulsa to OU

I have yet to hear a logical reason why someone with the job titles of:

Assistant Head Coach/Co-Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach

would leave that job to be a Wide Receivers coach.

stoopified
12/28/2007, 12:00 PM
I know Josh is a popular choice for the co-ord spot but Cale has paid hisdues.Bob desn't keep coaches around who are unqualified so I think he should get the job.I do however trust Bob to make the right choice whomever that may be.

Scott D
12/28/2007, 12:51 PM
I know Josh is a popular choice for the co-ord spot but Cale has paid hisdues.Bob desn't keep coaches around who are unqualified so I think he should get the job.I do however trust Bob to make the right choice whomever that may be.

name me one coach that Bob has gotten rid of (coaches leaving for upward promotion don't count)

Rhino
12/28/2007, 02:45 PM
Just a guess, but if you check the Org chart for the football team and the concomitant pay scales, I suggest that you will find an answer for the "Co" designation. Stoops seems to work hard at making his assistants well paid. Bingo. It's a name-only position with better pay than a regular position coach. They don't call anything on gamedays.

Sooner_Havok
12/28/2007, 02:54 PM
name me one coach that Bob has gotten rid of (coaches leaving for upward promotion don't count)

Name me one coach that we have needed to get rid of. (Remember, coaches leaving for upward promotion don't count.)

Scott D
12/28/2007, 04:55 PM
Name me one coach that we have needed to get rid of. (Remember, coaches leaving for upward promotion don't count.)

Hey now, I'm not the one that made any comments about unqualified coaches :)

BigRedJed
12/28/2007, 05:35 PM
Just because a coach has been a good position coach and program-loyal doesn't mean he's made of the stuff that belongs at the next level. Witness Boo Blake (sorry, he was a really good position coach), or hell, even Gary Gibbs (best DC to ever coach at OU, with apologies to Mike Stoops).

Cale Gundy has been a very servicable position coach. But fellas, this isn't the military. Your time OJT or "paying your dues" should have exactly jack**** to do with whether you are put in line for a coordinator position.

And yes, my own perceptions of/experiences with Cale (some since he joined Stoops' staff) color my opinion of whether he should ever ascend to coordiantor (NO), but I still stand by my above logic those experiences notwithstanding.

soonerboomer93
12/28/2007, 06:43 PM
Just a guess, but if you check the Org chart for the football team and the concomitant pay scales, I suggest that you will find an answer for the "Co" designation. Stoops seems to work hard at making his assistants well paid.

That's along the line of what i was thinking the case is. I'm not sure, but I know he does put effort into getting the staff paid well. We can't have one of the highest paid coaches and spend sub par money on his staff. The staff should be paid in direct corelation to the performance of the program and the pay of the head coach

soonerboomer93
12/28/2007, 06:48 PM
weren't their rumors that a former OC here was advised it would be best for him to take a certain job that was offered instead of continuing to work for OU?

Scott D
12/28/2007, 09:26 PM
weren't their rumors that a former OC here was advised it would be best for him to take a certain job that was offered instead of continuing to work for OU?

allegedy two former OC's were down that path.

goingoneight
12/28/2007, 09:45 PM
Is one of them about

^ yay tall...

and <-----------------------yay BIG---------------------------->?

RADsooner
12/29/2007, 12:11 AM
Is one of them about

^ yay tall...

umm,how many stones would that be?

KingDavid
12/29/2007, 01:10 AM
Is one of them about

^ yay tall...

That right thar is perdy dam funny.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/29/2007, 02:22 AM
Gus from Tulsa to OU

Link?

I live in far baja oklahoma (Houston) where we don't get much word on OU. But I sure know a heck of a lot about Mack's 6 am practices...

SOONER STEAKER
12/29/2007, 04:33 AM
We need a coach who can relate to the inner city kids. I think McGee deserves the nod. Plus, he put with Schnelly so he really deserves the opportunity to come home and reap some rewards. aybe he can sway some of those BTW kids to come our way instead of going to Hog Heaven or to the Tenn hills.

perculator
12/30/2007, 02:55 PM
we need a special teams coach.

Soonerfan88
12/30/2007, 06:28 PM
McGee is now rumored to be the new WR coach for Petrino at Arkansas. Anyone heard anything definite - either OU or Arkie? :confused:

goingoneight
12/30/2007, 11:32 PM
Everyone and their brother is high on Gus Malzahn and everyone thinks they have a fighting chance at him. It's sort of like when someone fires their head coach and all of a sudden Bob Stoops is on their "short list." Ain't happening. Besides, it's pretty easy to have success when you have Darren McFadden and Paul Smith in your only two years of service as an OC. Me, personally... I don't want to see that Mickey Mouse **** at OU unless it's one of those once-a-season "trickeration" plays like Manuel Johnson's end-around pass against Miami or Blake Ferguson's first down pass at 'Bama in 2003. Too predictable and slow-developing.

I didn't see a whole lot of people barking up Chuck Long's tree in 2004 because of AD's instant surge, and that offense was lightyears better than ArkPiggie or Golden Tornader.

goingoneight
12/30/2007, 11:33 PM
we need a special teams coach.

We've got one... his name is Bob Stoops.

KingDavid
12/31/2007, 03:43 AM
Everyone and their brother is high on Gus Malzahn and everyone thinks they have a fighting chance at him. It's sort of like when someone fires their head coach and all of a sudden Bob Stoops is on their "short list." Ain't happening. Besides, it's pretty easy to have success when you have Darren McFadden and Paul Smith in your only two years of service as an OC. Me, personally... I don't want to see that Mickey Mouse **** at OU unless it's one of those once-a-season "trickeration" plays like Manuel Johnson's end-around pass against Miami or Blake Ferguson's first down pass at 'Bama in 2003. Too predictable and slow-developing.

I didn't see a whole lot of people barking up Chuck Long's tree in 2004 because of AD's instant surge, and that offense was lightyears better than ArkPiggie or Golden Tornader.

i want to see stoops use that statue of liberty play against texas.

KingDavid
12/31/2007, 03:44 AM
that's the once-a-year trickeration i want to see.

Crucifax Autumn
12/31/2007, 03:55 AM
Wow...That's funny!

Desert Sapper
12/31/2007, 01:04 PM
WOOT! Trickeration is the bestest fake word evar! I wanna do some of it! Yeah!!!!11!!!

goingoneight
12/31/2007, 05:31 PM
What's the other word along the lines or "trickeration" we hear every game that's not a real word... I can't think of it?

CORNholio
1/1/2008, 02:55 AM
Give it to Heupel. Keep promoting him until he is next in line when Stoops becomes too old to coach. Huepel=Smartest QB to play at OU. Smart QB's=Good Coaches.

CORNholio
1/1/2008, 03:07 AM
i want to see stoops use that statue of liberty play against texas.
Gus was an Arkie high school coaching legend for taking small rural unatheletic kids and making them uber-competitive. That is awesome for a HS kid who plays for a perrenial loser.But the sad truth is the only reason he ever got a job in college is because Houston Nutt was trying to save his job by getting the top recruit in the nation who happened to be coached by Gus. Nutt hired Gus. Gus brought Mustain. Nutt saves job, or so he thought. Malzahn is good at making below average teams competitive, not at maintaining championship level success. See Todd Dodge at North Texas and subtract about 500 respect points.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/1/2008, 05:30 AM
Sounds like a certain Todd Dodge at North Texas State.

Perhpas Stoops should hire a "Keep Kids from doing Stupid Things" Coach.

stoopified
1/5/2008, 08:19 PM
Apparently McGee is now on staff at ArKANSAS so now what?