PDA

View Full Version : What kind people are we...

Okla-homey
12/27/2007, 08:42 AM
that a major national media outlet like NBC would have their empty talking skull (Mr. Matt Lauer) conduct a video interview with the parents of the kid who was mauled to death by that escaped tiger?

I mean, it was too painful to watch. The dad broke down on this journalistic gem asked by Lauer; "how does it feel to know your son was killed by a tiger escaped from a zoo?" Through his tears, the poor guy basically replied, "how do you think it feels, he was my son." Next, Lauer asked, "watchagonna do if we find out someone let the tiger out and it wasn't an accident?" At that point, I changed the channel.

More to my point, why do these media types feel anyone would want to watch a grieving dad being grilled?

SoonerStormchaser
12/27/2007, 09:39 AM
Matt Lauer is glib cause this guy said so:
http://photos15.flickr.com/22617193_bc89b67427.jpg

VeeJay
12/27/2007, 09:57 AM
I heard that interview on the radio on the way to work this morning.

My thoughts exactly.

Why didn't he ask something to the effect of "Have you actually visualized the moment of your son's demise as he was brutally attacked by this uncaged killer beast? Have you imagined what must have gone through his mind as he breathed his last breath?"

I mean, come on, Matt, take off the gloves already.

Hamhock
12/27/2007, 10:00 AM
I'm surprised he didn't ask:

Do you wish that the tiger wouldn't have escaped and mauled your son to death?

fadada1
12/27/2007, 10:01 AM
matt lauer is, without a doubt, the biggest ******* on TV. i stopped caring about what he says after the incident with tom cruise.

guy loves himself and he thinks everyone else does.

total wanker.

OCUDad
12/27/2007, 10:03 AM
matt lauer is, without a doubt, the biggest ******* on TV. Tim McCarver runs a close second. Just sayin'.

C&CDean
12/27/2007, 10:03 AM
Who the **** is Matt Lauer?

fadada1
12/27/2007, 10:26 AM
Tim McCarver runs a close second. Just sayin'.
jim gray (sports caster) is right there as well.

Pricetag
12/27/2007, 11:00 AM
I don't even understand why the parents would appear on television.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/27/2007, 11:34 AM
that a major national media outlet like NBC would have their empty talking skull (Mr. Matt Lauer) conduct a video interview with the parents of the kid who was mauled to death by that escaped tiger?

I mean, it was too painful to watch. The dad broke down on this journalistic gem asked by Lauer; "how does it feel to know your son was killed by a tiger escaped from a zoo?" Through his tears, the poor guy basically replied, "how do you think it feels, he was my son." Next, Lauer asked, "watchagonna do if we find out someone let the tiger out and it wasn't an accident?" At that point, I changed the channel.

More to my point, why do these media types feel anyone would want to watch a grieving dad being grilled?

And this surprises us how?

After all, he learned at the knee of that master investigative journalist Katie Couric.

If both of them were found dead shot in the head tomorrow I don't know if my response would be "meh" or "heh"...

yermom
12/27/2007, 12:41 PM

because they do. the people on TV are there because people watch. people are pretty much idiots

royalfan5
12/27/2007, 12:44 PM
Tim McCarver runs a close second. Just sayin'.
Joe Morgan has to be in that discussion as well.

TUSooner
12/27/2007, 12:47 PM
Who the **** is Matt Lauer?
Exactly. I have heard the name, and I knew he was some kind of TV "news" guy. But this story tells why I long ago stopped watching the BS sensationalist hog crap that passes for network news and why I now know more about Matt F***ing Lauer than I ever wanted to know.

Y'all need to STOP WATCHING THAT **** NOW.

yermom
12/27/2007, 12:49 PM
i first saw him doing crap on HBO in the 90's, i believe

but yeah, i get all my news from Google, Yahoo!, Digg, Slashdot and here

i almost never watch news on TV

Viking Kitten
12/27/2007, 01:04 PM
I mean, it was too painful to watch. The dad broke down on this journalistic gem asked by Lauer; "how does it feel to know your son was killed by a tiger escaped from a zoo?" Through his tears, the poor guy basically replied, "how do you think it feels, he was my son."

I'm not claiming to be a huge Matt Lauer fan, but in all fairness, what should he have asked? That's the question on everybody's mind, isn't it? At least anyone interested enough to tune in for the interview. Were you looking to hear the dad's opinion on tiger conservation in the wild?

As somebody who interviews people for a living, I can tell you, sometimes you have to ask dumb questions. That's the only way you are going to get an answer because people freeze when the camera goes on. It was Matt Lauer's job to ask that question.

It's a news story and people are interested in it. We're talking about it right here on the SO aren't we? It's the media's job to try and talk to involved parties. I personally try to be extremely sensitive to people's feelings in such a situation and afford them as much dignity as I possibly can.

With that said, I would agree it's a wise decision for parents in this type of situation to decline requests for interviews. I have to ask, you don't have to say yes.

SoonerGirl06
12/27/2007, 01:11 PM
I don't condone it and I don't watch it.

Everyone wants their 15 minutes of fame... even at the time of their loved one's death. Pathetic IMHO. Just pathetic.

fadada1
12/27/2007, 01:14 PM
i think, in my opinion anyway, it's the way he asks the questions. there always seems to be little compassion in his voice. but the thing that REALLY gets me about him is his "judging attitude" toward his interviewee - as if he can do no wrong and he's the best interviewer in broadcasting (it's a toss up b/w jon stewart and steven colbert, btw). the bit with tom cruise infuriated me. who the f*ck is matt lauer to judge somebody else and tell them they're wrong. THAT is not news or ethical journalism. he's one very small step away from being a tabloid writer.

apparently nbc holds him in high regard (as do a lot of people for some reason). if he' that good or smart, he should'nt have to ask "stupid" questions.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/27/2007, 01:18 PM
I wonder what the questions will be if the cops confirm what is being reported that they were taunting the tiger before it chomped down on them...

Oh, BTW, Matt Lauer is a tool (IMO), regardless of what question he asks.

SoonerGirl06
12/27/2007, 01:24 PM
News is turning into sensationalistic journalism. It's not about the facts, the truth or about ethics.

It's about ratings, ratings and more ratings.

VeeJay
12/27/2007, 02:48 PM
I'd have asked this one:

"How do you keep it real?"

Frozen Sooner
12/27/2007, 03:15 PM
Um, for the record, Tom Cruise is a loon. What, Lauer's supposed to just sit there as he spouts crazy-talk and not grill him a little on it?

fadada1
12/27/2007, 03:31 PM
tom cruise might be a loon, but that doesn't mean lauer has the right to treat him like a piece of crap. tom has his beliefs (that he deeply believes in) and lauer questioned that belief sytem and his faith - basically calling him a "loon". don't tell me some of you would get defensive if someone questioned your christian/moslum/budhist faith.

picasso
12/27/2007, 03:44 PM
matt lauer is, without a doubt, the biggest ******* on TV. i stopped caring about what he says after the incident with tom cruise.

guy loves himself and he thinks everyone else does.

total wanker.
he's no Keith Groucho Ollberman.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/27/2007, 03:58 PM
i first saw him doing crap on HBO in the 90's, i believe

but yeah, i get all my news from Google, Yahoo!, Digg, Slashdot and here

i almost never watch news on TV

I never watch the news on TV. Its like a drug too most who watch it.

I ve got a friend who just bought a 50 " plasma and the only thing he watches is Fox News....It doesn't even broadcast in HD!

Frozen Sooner
12/27/2007, 04:06 PM
tom cruise might be a loon, but that doesn't mean lauer has the right to treat him like a piece of crap. tom has his beliefs (that he deeply believes in) and lauer questioned that belief sytem and his faith - basically calling him a "loon". don't tell me some of you would get defensive if someone questioned your christian/moslum/budhist faith.

If I held a patently ridiculous belief and I went on national TV to be interviewed about it, yeah, I'd probably be defensive if someone pointed out how silly it was. I wouldn't expect you to be defensive about it though. When an interviewee says something dumb, it's kind of the interviewer's job to probe him about it.

Okla-homey
12/27/2007, 04:18 PM
I'm not claiming to be a huge Matt Lauer fan, but in all fairness, what should he have asked? That's the question on everybody's mind, isn't it? At least anyone interested enough to tune in for the interview. Were you looking to hear the dad's opinion on tiger conservation in the wild?

As somebody who interviews people for a living, I can tell you, sometimes you have to ask dumb questions. That's the only way you are going to get an answer because people freeze when the camera goes on. It was Matt Lauer's job to ask that question.

It's a news story and people are interested in it. We're talking about it right here on the SO aren't we? It's the media's job to try and talk to involved parties. I personally try to be extremely sensitive to people's feelings in such a situation and afford them as much dignity as I possibly can.

With that said, I would agree it's a wise decision for parents in this type of situation to decline requests for interviews. I have to ask, you don't have to say yes.

I understand all of the above. But, a lot of people would like to see Pamela Anderson staked-out and spread-eagled nekkid at a midget convention, but that doesn't mean responsible TV journalists should run the story.;)

I've heard it called "feeding the beast." Aptly named IMHO.

Harry Beanbag
12/27/2007, 04:48 PM
because they do. the people on TV are there because people watch. people are pretty much idiots

The people who's lives hinge on the latest celebrity gossip and morning news shows are the LCD. I still believe the average American is much smarter and more enlightened than the talking heads would ever believe, of course those people don't hang on every word of these puppet masters either though. I think the last time I watched the Today Show or any of its brothers was in high school.

Viking Kitten
12/27/2007, 08:48 PM
I understand all of the above. But, a lot of people would like to see Pamela Anderson staked-out and spread-eagled nekkid at a midget convention, but that doesn't mean responsible TV journalists should run the story.;)

Eh... Twenty thousand years ago, if a sabre-toothed tiger attacked some poor caveman, you can bet some hairy dude would have been back at the campfire grunting out the story to an enthralled crowd of neanderthals later that night. Storytelling (and wanting to hear stories) is human nature. In fact, it's what drives culture. The medium has changed but people haven't.

Now I want to make it clear that I personally don't like killer-tiger type of stories. I have the luxury of working for a news outlet with a more intelligent audience so that I don't have to do that type of thing very often. Unfortunately it's a wee little audience, but more job satisfaction for me is a worthwhile trade-off. Commercial stations have to cover it though, it's how they stay afloat.

I don't know how long it will stay that way, the way people get their news is changing. I guarantee you'll still see sensationalist stories though, because there will be a market for them. They'll just be available for download on your video phone and the smarter people will simply ignore them.

sooner_born_1960
12/27/2007, 08:59 PM

Would this hypothetical convention be for midgets only, or could anyone go?

Frozen Sooner
12/27/2007, 09:01 PM
I'm pretty much covered either way.

bluedogok
12/27/2007, 09:09 PM
I never watch the news on TV. Its like a drug too most who watch it.

I ve got a friend who just bought a 50 " plasma and the only thing he watches is Fox News....It doesn't even broadcast in HD!
There is a Fox News-HD now, I have seen it on the channel list for DirecTV.

I saw it on this morning as we were getting ready to head back to Austin from West Texas, even Lauer seemed a bit unsettled questioning the dad....and Cruise is a complete lunatic.

Soonrboy
12/27/2007, 09:44 PM
why did they agree to an interview?

NM...sometimes reading is hard