PDA

View Full Version : Extra bowl practices & the new blood?

KingDavid
12/26/2007, 07:37 PM
I saw a Rivals report that said Frank Alexander really showed up well in the extra bowl practices. Any other intelligence on this front? I'm eager to here about the LB's and the DB's, in particular. Let it fly if you've got any 411.

sooner59
12/26/2007, 09:25 PM
Hopefully we wont need him for the Fiesta Bowl. I would rather not burn redshirts in bowl games, but if he makes the difference in the game, so be it.

Leroy Lizard
12/26/2007, 10:09 PM
I think it would be terribly unfair to the player to yank his redshirt. We should make do with what we have.

Collier11
12/26/2007, 10:18 PM
I think it would be terribly unfair to the player to yank his redshirt. We should make do with what we have.

for once I agree with you although I dont think Stoops and Co. would even consider this unless it was a Natl Title type scenario

Rhino
12/26/2007, 11:10 PM
Everyone is raving about WR Ryan Broyles.

I've also heard positive things on OT Donald Stephenson, DE Frank Alexander and LBs Austin Box & Travis Lewis. As far as non-redshirt freshmen go, S Quenton Carter, LB Keenan Clayton and RB Mossis Madu have received most of the praise.

Hopefully we wont need him for the Fiesta Bowl. I would rather not burn redshirts in bowl games, but if he makes the difference in the game, so be it. I don't see why anyone would even consider it. With English and Davis healthy, Beal coming on strong and Dotson and Macon capable, we're fine.

PLaw
12/27/2007, 12:13 AM
I think it would be terribly unfair to the player to yank his redshirt. We should make do with what we have.l

Bob the Great is waaay too smart to burn a red shirt in the bowl game. It's long been the practice of the staff to focus on young players in the bowl practices. It gives the staff the early read on who can be a player and where to focus during spring ball. Bob has stated such on several occasions about the importance of pre-bowl preparations for the younger players.

BOOMER

sooner59
12/27/2007, 12:16 AM
Didnt Garrett Hartley's redshirt get burned in a bowl game? I could be wrong, but I thought I heard that somewhere.

PLaw
12/27/2007, 12:19 AM
Everyone is raving about WR Ryan Broyles.

I've also heard positive things on OT Donald Stephenson, DE Frank Alexander and LBs Austin Box & Travis Lewis. As far as non-redshirt freshmen go, S Quenton Carter, LB Keenan Clayton and RB Mossis Madu have received most of the praise.
I don't see why anyone would even consider it. With English and Davis healthy, Beal coming on strong and Dotson and Macon capable, we're fine.

I didn't know Clayton had moved from safety to LB - I knew he was in the dog house during 2006 for being out of position. He certainly looks to have the physical tools, but the mental aspect of the game is the big question mark.

Personally, would like to see him make an impact. During an August, 2006 practice he went head to head with AD and put a good pop on the greatness.

BOOMER

Crucifax Autumn
12/27/2007, 12:25 AM
Burning a redshirt would be pointless this late. Besides, we won't need it.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/27/2007, 12:30 AM
Itsy-bitsy-teeny-wittle point:

Sam Bradford was said to have knocked everybody's socks off during last years "extra" bowl practices.

That is to say: It don't hurt one little bit to have these extended bowl season practices. I do believe our man Bob, himself, has stated these are as valuable, if not more so than, as spring practices.

Rhino
12/27/2007, 12:47 AM
Didnt Garrett Hartley's redshirt get burned in a bowl game? I could be wrong, but I thought I heard that somewhere. His redshirt was burned against Baylor in our last regular season game in 2004 after DiCarlo missed a 42-yarder. He played against Baylor, Colorado in the CCG and USC in the GOWWDNSO.

I didn't know Clayton had moved from safety to LB - I knew he was in the dog house during 2006 for being out of position. He certainly looks to have the physical tools, but the mental aspect of the game is the big question mark. He's slated to be a roybacker-type, leaning more to what Baker played this year.

colleyvillesooner
12/27/2007, 12:47 AM
Didnt Garrett Hartley's redshirt get burned in a bowl game? I could be wrong, but I thought I heard that somewhere.

No, burned midway-ish through the season in Waco I believe.

Crucifax Autumn
12/27/2007, 12:51 AM
Oh, the value of the practice is undeniable and it's something they should continue. I just don't think beurning a redshirt is a good idea. The good thing about it is that they get to practice along with the other guys while at the height of their game, for extended periods, and after watching the season and knowing where they can be of value.

soonerboomer93
12/27/2007, 12:53 AM
yeah, I hear he burned against baylor

Crucifax Autumn
12/27/2007, 01:02 AM
I know a few guys that burned AT Baylor, but that's an entirely diffferent subject!