PDA

View Full Version : Restocking WOLVES or BEARS where they used to be!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/26/2007, 07:33 PM
Thoughts on moving bears and wolves into areas where they were hunted out. I'm thinking, they were hunted for a reason, and will be prolly hunted again, particularly if they are threats to area livestock.

royalfan5
12/26/2007, 08:13 PM
However, they also kill other pests though too. If they kill more deer, I'm all for it.

12/26/2007, 08:15 PM
However, they also kill other pests though too. If they kill more deer, I'm all for it.Did you say that just to "tee one up"?

Frozen Sooner
12/26/2007, 08:24 PM
However, they also kill other pests though too. If they kill more deer, I'm all for it.

Bingo.

Wolves in particular are very efficient at varmint control.

RLIMC:

Here's the thing. You remove a deer's natural predator, then you get an explosion in the deer population. You get an explosion in the deer population and the deer end up destroying all the local vegetation then starving to death. Plus they make dents in people's cars. Big problem with moose as well.

Alaska does a pretty good job of managing the deer and moose population with controlled wolf hunts. Of course, people with more access to newspapers than sense get all bent out of shape about the wolf hunts, but that's OK.

12/26/2007, 08:29 PM
There's such a thing as deer hunting, and they DO taste good.

Frozen Sooner
12/26/2007, 08:33 PM
They do, and there is. And the deer population keeps growing.

royalfan5
12/26/2007, 08:34 PM
There's such a thing as deer hunting, and they DO taste good.
So, not enough people have the desire to kill a sufficient amount of deer, and natural predators don't have anything better to do than kill deer. In this case, I'm all for the natural predators picking up the humans slack.

Rogue
12/26/2007, 08:35 PM
Some places, very rural, can handle wolves and bears and, IMO, we should nurture wild populations as much as possible. Some places should, simply, be off-limits to people. A true preserve/refuge/whatever.

I'm from Idaho and the wolf-reintroduction has been very controversial there. Ranchers out in nowhere BLM land operate by "the 3 S's - sight 'em, shoot 'em, and shut-up." I don't condone this. Wolves can, and will occasionally, hunt and kill domestic stock. Dad spent a couple summers working with a sheepherder. One summer a sow bear and cubs killed a whole flock of ewes to eat the udders only. Sure, they may have left some to deteriorate to a flavorful tenderness, but this flock was more than they could eat in a year according to the herder.

Most former habitat for bears and wolves is too full of people for it to work out now. We can and, again IMHO, try to maintain wild populations of these predators.

It's a balance and, on the whole, I'm on the side of reintroducing them.

12/26/2007, 09:15 PM
I think bengal tigers and cobras would probably do well in the Dixie states. It might mean a safe refuge for the tigers, since they're getting very scarce in India.

LoyalFan
12/27/2007, 12:45 AM
[QUOTE=RogueDad spent a couple summers working with a sheepherder. One summer a sow bear and cubs killed a whole flock of ewes to eat the udders only.
[/QUOTE]

I was saddened to learn of what can only be regarded as an udder disaster.

My prayers are with the bereaved rams and lambs. Luckily, marezydoatsanddoesydoatsandliddlelambseativies, so at least the children won't starve during the lactation deprivation period.

L6

12/27/2007, 12:53 AM
I was saddened to learn of what can only be regarded as an udder disaster.

My prayers are with the bereaved rams and lambs. Luckily, marezydoatsanddoesydoatsandliddlelambseativies, so at least the children won't starve during the lactation deprivation period.

L6Hear Hear, amigo!!! My mom used to sing that song when I was a wee laddy.