PDA

View Full Version : Who Here Hates Scallops?

Mjcpr
12/26/2007, 02:50 PM
Me too. Until I tried a shrimp and scallops dish at Carrabba's the other day. Dee-lish, although a little on the rich side so you probably wouldn't want to eat a lot of it.

Spiedino Di Mare (http://www.carrabbas.com/menu/pdf/25.pdf), wtf ever that means, it's good. :)

Try it, you'll like it.

SoonerStormchaser
12/26/2007, 02:52 PM
I love em, but they'll kill my wife cause she's allergic.

soonerbrat
12/26/2007, 02:59 PM
kebabs of the sea

C&CDean
12/26/2007, 03:00 PM
Scallops are like poon. Some are mighty tasty, and some are nasty.

So, if you find a place with good scallops, you should limit your selection to that one place.

OUAndy1807
12/26/2007, 03:19 PM
there's nothing better than great scallops, there's nothing worse than 95% of the scallop dishes being served out there (especially in Oklahoma)

I have a gift card to Carabba's, I'll have to check that out.

C&CDean
12/26/2007, 03:30 PM
there's nothing better than great scallops, there's nothing worse than 95% of the scallop dishes being served out there (especially in Oklahoma)

I have a gift card to Carabba's, I'll have to check that out.

Dude, don't fall for the "especially in Oklahoma" thing on scallops and other seafood. I know a guy who runs an air charter. He flies fresh seafood into Oklahoma. Back in the day you could get better seafood on the coast, but today, if you go to a decent restaraunt, you're eating the same fish that somebody in Boston or San Francisco is eating on the same day.

85Sooner
12/26/2007, 03:32 PM
No one hates scallops if they are prepared properly!

silverwheels
12/26/2007, 03:32 PM

That's a good way to put it.

IB4OU2
12/26/2007, 03:48 PM

So, if you find a place with good scallops, you should limit your selection to that one place.

Also, avoid the ones that smell too fishy...

soonerbrat
12/26/2007, 03:50 PM
Dude, don't fall for the "especially in Oklahoma" thing on scallops and other seafood. I know a guy who runs an air charter. He flies fresh seafood into Oklahoma. Back in the day you could get better seafood on the coast, but today, if you go to a decent restaraunt, you're eating the same fish that somebody in Boston or San Francisco is eating on the same day.

last time I ate at a seafood restaurant in Boston, the fish was flown in from Florida. or somewhere.

C&CDean
12/26/2007, 04:11 PM
last time I ate at a seafood restaurant in Boston, the fish was flown in from Florida. or somewhere.

Yup.

I do have to say though that the best seafood I've ever eaten was in St. Martin. There's a little place called Lee's Deep Sea Fishing - where the dude does fishing charters by day, then has a little outdoor restaraunt by night.

We had been going out spending $100 and more on dinner at fancy joints. We asked a local where to go and he said "Lee's mon, right over there." It was literally across the street from our condo. So, we go over there and this old dude comes up and goes "whatcha have mon?" I go "a menu?" He goes "no menu mon, just say what you want." I go "whatcha got?" He goes "c'mere mon" and takes us around the corner where there's one of those gigantic brazillion quart ice chests. Sticking up out of the ice chest were a bunch of fish tails. He goes "mahi mahi, yellow tail, snapper, dolphin" what'll it be?" I go "yellow tail, and can you make it spicy?" He laughs and goes "sure mon."

Dude pulls the fish out (about a 25 pound live yellow tail tuna) and cuts it's head off, guts it, and cuts about a 2" thick steak off of it. He rubs it down with some caribbean spices and tosses it on the grill. In the meantime he gives us all rum punch (on the house) that had to have some local shine or at least 151 in it.

Best. Fish. Ever. We ate there every night for the rest of the trip. On our last night he had trapped some lobsters. Lobsters split and cooked over a grill are killer. The most we ever spent on dinner was $20 for the lobster.

And to let you know how good the rum punch was, pictue this: me dancing on the dock while his brother played a calypso/reggae version of "Born Free" on his accordian. Good ****.

soonerbrat
12/26/2007, 04:14 PM
the next time I am in st. martin, i will check it out.

Lott's Bandana
12/26/2007, 04:17 PM

The exact same fish?!

C&CDean
12/26/2007, 04:18 PM
The exact same fish?!

Don't make me come over there...

soonerbrat
12/26/2007, 04:18 PM
oh, go over there. i need some entertainment.

Lott's Bandana
12/26/2007, 04:19 PM
Dude pulls the fish out (about a 25 pound live yellow tail tuna) and cuts it's head off, guts it, and cuts about a 2" thick steak off of it. He rubs it down with some caribbean spices and tosses it on the grill.

Saw that done to a monkey in Kowloon. Chinese spices, tho.

Lott's Bandana
12/26/2007, 04:20 PM
Don't make me come over there...

Ha! I'm eating my scallops in Californee this week!

Neener squared.

IB4OU2
12/26/2007, 04:23 PM
Yup.

I do have to say though that the best seafood I've ever eaten was in St. Martin. There's a little place called Lee's Deep Sea Fishing - where the dude does fishing charters by day, then has a little outdoor restaraunt by night.

We had been going out spending $100 and more on dinner at fancy joints. We asked a local where to go and he said "Lee's mon, right over there." It was literally across the street from our condo. So, we go over there and this old dude comes up and goes "whatcha have mon?" I go "a menu?" He goes "no menu mon, just say what you want." I go "whatcha got?" He goes "c'mere mon" and takes us around the corner where there's one of those gigantic brazillion quart ice chests. Sticking up out of the ice chest were a bunch of fish tails. He goes "mahi mahi, yellow tail, snapper, dolphin" what'll it be?" I go "yellow tail, and can you make it spicy?" He laughs and goes "sure mon."

Dude pulls the fish out (about a 25 pound live yellow tail tuna) and cuts it's head off, guts it, and cuts about a 2" thick steak off of it. He rubs it down with some caribbean spices and tosses it on the grill. In the meantime he gives us all rum punch (on the house) that had to have some local shine or at least 151 in it.

Best. Fish. Ever. We ate there every night for the rest of the trip. On our last night he had trapped some lobsters. Lobsters split and cooked over a grill are killer. The most we ever spent on dinner was $20 for the lobster.

And to let you know how good the rum punch was, pictue this: me dancing on the dock while his brother played a calypso/reggae version of "Born Free" on his accordian. Good ****.

Bob Marley loved rum punch too and I woulda paid good money to see Deano dancing to Born Free. :D

C&CDean
12/26/2007, 04:47 PM
"Born Free, as free as the wind blows, as free as the grass grows....."

I was doing the whole biting the lower lip white boy getting his groove on thing too.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/26/2007, 04:47 PM
It's California crab season. Are you Okies getting good prices on cracked and cleaned crabs in the market?

C&CDean
12/26/2007, 04:50 PM
It's California crab season. Are you Okies getting good prices on cracked and cleaned crabs in the market?

1st Time Caller gets them free from Mongo. However, they ain't cleaned.

IB4OU2
12/26/2007, 04:50 PM

I was doing the whole biting the lower lip white boy getting his groove on thing too.

:D

Lott's Bandana
12/26/2007, 04:56 PM

Airfare to Left Coast (yesterday)
Rental car to Orinda
BART to Market St.
Cable car to Fisherman's Wharf

DESTROYING some dungies with my daughters! Priceless...

I'm in...see ya Friday.

soonerbrat
12/26/2007, 04:56 PM

note to self: bring rum punch to next tailgate

C&CDean
12/26/2007, 04:58 PM
Airfare to Left Coast (yesterday)
Rental car to Orinda
BART to Market St.
Cable car to Fisherman's Wharf

DESTROYING some dungies with my daughters! Priceless...

I'm in...see ya Friday.

Meh.

I take the rental right down to Fisherman's Wharf and park it for about $5 close to Pier 39. Why ride public transportation (BART) when you don't have to? Then you can get your grub on and take the cable car over to Chinatown to look at dead chickens and ducks.

Lott's Bandana
12/26/2007, 05:08 PM
Meh.

I take the rental right down to Fisherman's Wharf and park it for about $5 close to Pier 39. Why ride public transportation (BART) when you don't have to? Then you can get your grub on and take the cable car over to Chinatown to look at dead chickens and ducks.

Done that too.

Gotta do:

Anthropologie
Virgin Records
Crabs
Cable Car
Chinatown
Apple Store
Bay Cruise

Don't mind BART actually and I won't have to deal with parking, reparking, bridges and traffic.

My chicks and I like the adventure...not the dead ones in Chinatown, my daughters.

C&CDean
12/26/2007, 05:11 PM
Done that too.

Gotta do:

Anthropologie
Virgin Records
Crabs
Cable Car
Chinatown
Apple Store
Bay Cruise

Don't mind BART actually and I won't have to deal with parking, reparking, bridges and traffic.

My chicks and I like the adventure...not the dead ones in Chinatown, my daughters.

No Ghiaradelli's Chocolate???? Go get the ice cream sundae called "The Rock." It's killer. Also, my favorite little dive there is called "Lou's Pier 39." They've got live blues most every night. I've seen some really good local bands there that got big later on. Tommy Castro, Coco Montoya, and a few others.

soonerbrat
12/26/2007, 05:12 PM
GOTTA go to Ghirardelli

Lott's Bandana
12/26/2007, 05:19 PM
No Ghiaradelli's Chocolate???? Go get the ice cream sundae called "The Rock." It's killer. Also, my favorite little dive there is called "Lou's Pier 39." They've got live blues most every night. I've seen some really good local bands there that got big later on. Tommy Castro, Coco Montoya, and a few others.

Awesome reccs Dean...writing them down.

Ghiradelli's is a given. My girls would have made sure of that. That place has caused grins since I first went there in '70...you better believe my chicks have spent a lot of time there!

Speaking of BART. Looks like :eddie: better start memorizing the schedules...MUNI too! :eek: (another good reason not to drive in SF starting next spring)

KC//CRIMSON
12/26/2007, 09:42 PM

Ditto. The same goes for mussells. Love me some mussells I do.

LoyalFan
12/27/2007, 12:40 AM
Be aware, gentle readers, that some "scallops", as listed on the menus of lesser venues, are not the flesh of the mollusk at all. In some instances you're being served diced stingray wing, sharkfin, or possibly some other imitation similar to "sea legs" that resemble king crab but are really an extruded and dyed "paste" of some unidentified marine life.
Remember, yew is wot yew done et!

L6

ouwasp
12/27/2007, 12:46 AM
Tulsa area folks that LIKE scallops: go to White River Fish Market on North Sheridan. Get 'em broiled, not fried. Yeah, they're flown in fresh and all that stuff...

OUAndy1807
12/27/2007, 01:19 AM
So, besides Carrabba's where can a person get a good scallop dish in Oklahoma?

OUAndy1807
12/28/2007, 11:03 AM
that's what I thought.

C&CDean
12/28/2007, 11:09 AM
We're not ignoring you. Wait, yes we are.

I've actually had pretty decent scallops at Pearl's. I don't ever order them - other than when they come in a sauce or something. I think the "Steve's Special" at Pearl's has them in the sauce (along with shrimp) that goes over the blackened tilapia. Good stuff.

The other thing is this. Are there really any pure seafood restaraunts in Oklahoma? I don't know for sure. And the first person that says "Red Lobster" is going to get a week in the hole.

soonerinabilene
12/28/2007, 11:49 AM
A few steakhouses down here actually get fresh seafood everyday. Grilled scallops wrapped in bacon=teh win.

And Dean, when you are asked to name a seafood place around you, and your only options are Red Lobster or Long John Silvers, you have to say Red Lobster, dont you?

GrapevineSooner
12/28/2007, 12:25 PM
I had some awesome crab cheese cakes at some high toned Italian restaurant in Houston last weekend.

Can't remember the name of it, but I know it was somewhere's on Shepherd just west of downtown.

Lott's Bandana
12/28/2007, 12:26 PM
McGehees?

GrapevineSooner
12/28/2007, 12:32 PM
I want to say it started with a 'La ...'

All I know is the entire street was lit up with Christmas decorations, we were in a private room in the back, and the main dining area had a fireplace.

Lott's Bandana
12/28/2007, 12:43 PM
No, sorry GV...I was trying to think of a seafood place in Oklahoma...

McGehees in Thackerville?

Abuelo's Mexican Food Embassy(embassy?) has a dish that is guac enchiladas covered in a seafood cream sauce, scallops, shrimp, etc...should be illegal.

Boarder
12/28/2007, 12:47 PM
Are there really any pure seafood restaraunts in Oklahoma? I don't know for sure. And the first person that says "Red Lobster" is going to get a week in the hole.

Dude, very few. That's probably why the Red Lobsters can stay open. I kind of liked Joe's Crab Shack but they seem to be disappearing. Seafood around here means a catfish restaurant. I liked Bill's too but it's gone. Probably due to the massively slow service.

Seafood's tough to do in OK. For sure.

Lott's Bandana
12/28/2007, 12:48 PM
Hey Dean, maybe I'll stop by the ole Emerald Bowl, eat some almonds and freeze my assss off.

Or not.

King Crimson
12/28/2007, 01:10 PM
back in my real cooking days, i hated scallops. they come frozen, fake, and everything else.

even worse than shrimp, the cockroaches of the sea. might as well deep fry a june bug.

Mjcpr
12/28/2007, 01:28 PM
I want to say it started with a 'La ...'

All I know is the entire street was lit up with Christmas decorations, we were in a private room in the back

Was it La Night Trips?

GrapevineSooner
12/28/2007, 03:03 PM
Actually, I found it on Google.

La Griglia (http://www.lagrigliarestaurant.com/index2.html) in River Oaks.

KC//CRIMSON
12/28/2007, 03:53 PM

At any Japanese steakhouse?

OUAndy1807
12/28/2007, 07:19 PM
I actually had some decent scallops last night at Nonna's. I'll be trying the scallops tonight at Mahogany, I'll let you guys know.

My biggest bitch with scallops in OK is not that they can't get fresh product, it's that (as Dean pointed out) there are no real seafood restaurants here that know how to cook them properly or are willing to get them flown in .