PDA

View Full Version : Need a clear understanding why....

SteelClip49
12/26/2007, 01:59 PM
LSU got to the national title game over Oklahoma, USC, VT, Kansas, Hawaii and Georgia.

I know there have been threads on this and opinions and stuff but the discussion seems to be cloudy on other boards and the SEC/southern bias (BS) is more and more cloudier than ever.

My Thoughts:

LSU was exposed as the #1 team two different times this season, so why give them a 3rd shot at being #1, this time for good?

SEC Response over on AOL: The rankings do not matter in the SEC because we are the strongest conference in the nation and losses to Arkansas and Kentucky are very good losses; 2 teams that would annihilate any team from any other conference.

I seriously wonder how much of a factor the "undefeated in regulation" played a role in making LSU #2 in the BCS?

Apparently my argument of losing away and not at home was a BS response. LSU losing at home to Arkansas is a lot better than OU losing at TTU and Colorado. I figured winning at home would be a very vital part in this BCS mess debate.

USC was being hyped up as being the best at the end and playing the best ball out of everyone. Hell, they are nowhere as good as they were last year and this year they are just average and came along just at the right time; plus the loss at home to Stanford should just end all possibilities of them getting a shot at the title.

VT was blown out by LSU but did beat some teams at ther end that gave them a worthy shot at being discussed for the title. (USC beat Alabama in 1978 in Birmingham and USC lost later in the season; ending result: Bammer and USC share the title with each other). So, despite the VT blowout loss to LSU, VT redeemed themselves and by the end of the regular season, both ended up with 2 losses and VT is just as much of a title worthy contender as LSU and Oklahoma.

2 loss Georgia was being considered for the national title and was just about to get in when the sudden talk of "not winning conference or division" came into play. There is no rule in the BCS for that but hey, let it be known anyways and keep Georgia out. But why rule out KANSAS?? Yes, Kansas did lose their last game to Missouri which decided who was going to be the North Champion but Kansas is still only a 1 loss team.

The best logical choice, despite average SOS numbers, would to have Kansas and Ohio State for the national title.

But why leave out Hawaii? It does seem to be true that Michigan and Michigan State did back out on playing Hawaii so UH was desperate to schedule someone in their place (two 1AA teams). Why fault Hawaii for 2 Big Ten schools backing out? Give Hawaii a shot at the title. They didn't have the greatest schedule in the country but they did win all their games. This can bo back to 1984 when BYU won the national title with a weak schedule but they won the title because they were the only undefeated team in the country. Florida's SEC title was vacated and their title shot was dashed; Oklahoma lost to Washington so why not give Washington the title? They had 1 loss. BYU was the only "logical" choice it seemed.

Who did the most to make a statement in the last week of the regular season? OKLAHOMA

What teams are the "most legit" (not LSU based on being #1 twice and losing) to play Ohio State? KANSAS, OKLAHOMA, HAWAII, VA TECH, USC, GEORGIA.

Based on the Fan rule (not BCS rule) who is left to decide on? OKLAHOMA, HAWAII, lsu, VT, USC.

LSU- exposed as the #1 team twice
VT- lost big time earlier in season to LSU
UH- weak schedule but goes undefeated
USC- hyped at the end as the best but horrific loss at home to Stanford
OU- losses on the road (1 with Bradford out most of the game)

The positives are Oklahoma and Hawaii. I would say VT but they went 1-1 against BC. Oklahoma defeats #11 Missouri at home and #1 Missouri for the Big 12 Title. Also, a win over Texas who has remained in the top 25 all year helps.

If there were real experts out there, Oklahoma and Hawaii would be the only two who should have been discussed as the opponent for Ohio State.

It's a long shot but never rule out the possibility of a split national title.

So, let me know what you all think and have to say.

SoonerStormchaser
12/26/2007, 02:07 PM
My head hurts and my eyes are sore after reading this...

MAKE

IT

STOP!

auto
12/26/2007, 02:12 PM
Why? Simple. The media was/is homers for LSU this year.

Scott D
12/26/2007, 02:20 PM
1. Hawaii has had over 2 years to replace both Michigan and Michigan St. and they wait until 5 months before the season to do so, and they replace them with what? That's right D-II opposition...not what you do if you are in the WAC and trying to make a major statement.

2. Georgia and Kansas can both thank Oklahoma (2003) and Nebraska (2001) for not even getting a sniff at the title game. There's no actual rule about winning your conference, but well, after both of those teams made the BCS Title Game and lost, it became an 'unwritten' rule.

3. LSU's best argument at this point is that they were ranked ahead of OU, USC and just behind a VT team they had beat going into 'championship week'.

4. You could make a legitimate argument about who is responsible for voting in any of the polls, and their inability to watch every game involving a ranked team each week and then voting accordingly. You could argue that polls start too soon. Hell you can argue that outlets like ESPN, CBS Sportsline, etc. tend to carry too much weight in how voting individuals vote.

5. In the end, it doesn't really matter just enjoy the games for what they are.

Taxman71
12/26/2007, 02:29 PM
"very good losses"

Vince Lombardi is rolling over in his grave.

1stTimeCaller
12/26/2007, 02:29 PM
They are in the BCS Championship game because they were ranked in the top 2 of the final BCS poll. I think that's how the rules work.

Civicus_Sooner
12/26/2007, 02:34 PM
Lester winning an MNC makes me sad.

tosu has no shot.

SoonerStormchaser
12/26/2007, 02:38 PM
Lester winning an MNC with Saban's players, but taking credit for it anyways, makes me sad.

tosu has no shot.

Fixed.

Theskipster
12/26/2007, 02:58 PM
Fixed.

You may not like Miles, but that's just stupid. I guess according to you, it's wrong for Bob Stoops to take credit for his MNC since he won with John Blake's players.

cheezyq
12/26/2007, 03:10 PM
SEC Response over on AOL: The rankings do not matter in the SEC because we are the strongest conference in the nation and losses to Arkansas and Kentucky are very good losses; 2 teams that would annihilate any team from any other conference.

I'm not a conference fan usually, but I seriously hope that OhSU, Mizzou, and CU win for this sole reason.

LSU- exposed as the #1 team twice
VT- lost big time earlier in season to LSU
UH- weak schedule but goes undefeated
USC- hyped at the end as the best but horrific loss at home to Stanford
OU- losses on the road (1 with Bradford out most of the game)

LSU for:
1. Beat Florida at home...barely. Florida lost to Ole Miss.
2. Beat VT at home...soundly.
3. Beat Tennessee on neutral ground. Tennessee was creamed by 6-6 Cal.

LSU against:
1. Lost at HOME to Arkie. Arkie has 4 losses. (See Ark. out of conference schedule)
2. Lost on road to Kentucky. Kentucky has 5 losses. (See Kentucky out of conference schedule)
3. Nearly lost 3 additional games, each only won by a single play at the end.

OU for:
1. Beat MU twice. Once at home, once on neutral ground.
2. Beat Texas on neutral ground.
3. No other game was technically close. ISU was closer than we wanted, but after the half, OU dominated physically. Texas game wasn't that close.

OU against:
1. Lost on road to Colorado. Colorado has 6 losses, but had a tough OOC schedule.
2. Lost on road to Texas Tech. Tech has 4 losses. OU starting QB out for most of game.
3. Close game at IU at half. But OU dominated physically in 2nd half.

KU for:
1. Only one loss, to a good MU team.
2. Decent road win at A&M.
3. Decent road win at OSU.

KU against:
1. Bad OOC schedule.
2. Lost to only top 25 team played.
3. Did not play OU, Texas, or Texas Tech in the South.

UH for:
1. Undefeated

UH against:
1. Bad schedule, period.

USC for:
1. Beat ASU.
2. Beat Oregon State.

USC against:
1. Lost at home to Stanford. Stanford has 8 losses.
2. Lost on road to Oregon.

VT...Lost to LSU, out of picture, IMO.

Here's the hidden, humorous truth about the SEC. They play pancakes out of conference and only play OOC games at home to pad the perception that they are the best conference out there. Here's a look at the SEC schedules:

LSU:
Home v. VT (exception to the rule)
Home v. Middle Tennessee
Road at Tulane (same as us playing on road at Tulsa)
Home v. La. Tech

Georgia:
Home v. Oklahoma St.
Home v. Western Carolina
Home v. Troy
Road at Ga. Tech (decent match-up)

Florida:
Home v. Western Kentucky
Home v. Troy
Home v. Florida Atlantic
Home v. Florida State

Tennessee:
Road at Cal (smashed by 6-6 Cal)
Home v. Southern Miss
Home v. Arkansas State
Home v. La.-Lafayette

Alabama:
Home v. Western Carolina
Road at Florida State (a loss)
Home v. Houston
Home v. La.-Monroe (a loss!)

Arkansas:
Home v. Troy
Home v. North Texas
Home v. Chattanooga
Home v. Florida International

Auburn:
Home v. Kansas State
Home v. South Florida (loss)
Home v. New Mexico State
Home v. Tennessee Tech

Kentucky:
Home v. Eastern Kentucky
Home v. Kent State
Home v. Louisville
Home v. Florida Atlantic

Ole Miss:
Road at Memphis
Home v. Missouri (loss)
Home v. La. Tech
Home v. Northwestern State

Mississippi State:
Road at Tulane
Home v. Gardner-Webb
Home v. UAB
Road at West Virginia (killed)

South Carolina:
Home v. La-Lafayette
Home v. South Carolina State
Road at North Carolina
Home v. Clemson (lost)

Vanderbilt:
Home v. Richmond
Home v. Eastern Michigan
Home v. Miami (OH)
Home v. Wake Forest

So, the SEC's ONLY marquee wins out of conference was LSU v. VT at home and Ga. v. Ga. Tech (road, kind of). Any other time the SEC plays away from home or against decent competition, they lose. Key losses - Tenn. at Cal, Alabama at Florida State, Alabama at home v. La.-Monroe, Auburn at home v. South Florida, Ole Miss at home v. Missouri, Miss. State at WV, and South Carolina at home v. Clemson. They sport a 3-7 record against decent competition out of conference, on the road and at home.

Most dominating conference my ***. The SEC is all hype. Thanks, ESPN.

oudivesherpa
12/26/2007, 03:18 PM
The real question should be why is tOSU in this game? They won a weak Big 10 conference title and are State Chumps of Ohio. If they lose by 30 this year, they should bar all big 10 teams from NC consideration unitl they play a stronger schedule.

bri
12/26/2007, 03:42 PM
The real question should be why is tOSU in this game? They won a weak Big 10 conference title and are State Chumps of Ohio. If they lose by 30 this year, they should bar all big 10 teams from NC consideration unitl they play a stronger schedule.

Does that mean that the Big 12 shouldn't be allowed in the BCS title game, either?

Signed,

2001 Miami
2004 USC

BoulderSooner79
12/26/2007, 04:44 PM
You ask a silly question by using the phrase "clear understanding". In a year where there are half a dozen+ very strong teams, but none are elite, there is no clear method to pick 2 of them. Any of the omitted BCS teams could have gotten in by winning one more game. The lone non-BCS team did not have a signature win and struggled with some very weak opponents. So tOSU lucked out by the big10 being down and only having to play 12 games. LSU drew the long straw of the 2 loss teams. If OU wanted to go, they should have played better in Boulder. Even Petey said "we should have beaten Cal" when they got left out in '03 MNC after a single triple-OT loss on the road. We should be as accountable.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/26/2007, 05:02 PM
The real question should be why is tOSU in this game? They won a weak Big 10 conference title and are State Chumps of Ohio. If they lose by 30 this year, they should bar all big 10 teams from NC consideration unitl they play a stronger schedule.Nothing really good is going to come from this yr's NC game, but I do expect the Leslie tiggers to win by 14 or more. OhSU is too close to us in NC totals.

Leroy Lizard
12/26/2007, 05:10 PM
I can think of two good reasons why LSU shouldn't be playing for the national title. But I can also think of at least two good reasons why other teams shouldn't as well.

LSU and tOSU will play for the national title. Of what use is it to analyze why? That's the way it is, and that's the way it will be. Better luck next year.

OUfan7
12/26/2007, 06:48 PM
Thank you Cheezyg for telling it like it really is!!! Every conference has good teams and not so good teams but every year we have to hear about how much better the SEC is compared to the rest of the world. If you listen to the football guru's there is really no reason to play football unless you are in the SEC. Thanks again for taking the time to list their rugged OOC schedule.
Way to go---La. Monroe!!!

TripleOption14
12/26/2007, 07:16 PM
It's a combination of a couple of things that other posters have already mentioned.

1. "Good losses" (if there is such a thing)
2. They play in the toughest conf. (at least in all the national talking heads eyes)
3. They won the championship for the "toughest" conf.
4. It's the NC game that everyone thought was gonna happen in the first place prior to Luckeye loss to the Illini.

soonerloyal
12/26/2007, 07:31 PM
Hate to agree with LizBoy on anything, but...yep, it's done and can't be helped. Especially with the Bastards Communist System running everything for profit; it will most likely not change anytime soon. If we want to play for the marbles consistently, our best chance is to win our games, every game. Not likely, but there we are. Unfortunately, it does little good to gnash our teeth and complain. Nothing short of an uprising is likely to change the system.

But yeah, the matchup is teh succ.

goingoneight
12/26/2007, 07:51 PM
You may not like Miles, but that's just stupid. I guess according to you, it's wrong for Bob Stoops to take credit for his MNC since he won with John Blake's players.

Well, to be fair, Boo didn't recruit OUr biggest playmakers for the 2000 run. He recruited guys like Rocky Calmus the running back, Roy Williams the Offensive Lineman, etc. He wasn't responsible for Heupel, Griffin, Marshall either. Big difference between full cupboard and cluster****.

Civicus_Sooner
12/27/2007, 02:20 PM
Well, to be fair, Boo didn't recruit OUr biggest playmakers for the 2000 run. He recruited guys like Rocky Calmus the running back, Roy Williams the Offensive Lineman, etc. He wasn't responsible for Heupel, Griffin, Marshall either. Big difference between full cupboard and cluster****.
Yeah, it is totally different. Remember the QB Brandon Daniels and the linebacker Onte Jones?

Heh, poor Boo just had no clue.

The Maestro
12/27/2007, 02:48 PM
Some of you guys are giving LSU WAY too much credit. Other than getting to play in their backyard there is no reason to think they will dominate Ohio State. Who did LSU impressively beat over the last month or longer in the season? Ole Miss? Nope. Auburn? Nope. Tennessee? Nope.

The SEC was a bit overrated and I hope the bowl games prove that. I look at the West Virginia blowout over Mississippi State as the key game that tells the SEC story. This is probably the least talented LSU team in about four or five years. Studs on defense, but they got worse as the season went on. The offense is average, at best, minus Early Doucet.

I think Ohio State is going to establish Wells, shorten the game and then I hope the sweater-vested one can pull off the win. I want to see the meltdown that is Les Miles after the game. The unintentional comedy of losing a national title AND a chance to coach at Michigan over a month span will leave Les ready to stand on a chair with a rope tied to the bridge and "Let er rip!"

sooneron
12/27/2007, 03:04 PM
I think part of the reason why the lsu D got worse was because Bo was thinking of impending job opportunities. Their Offense never really impressed me. They have some players, but the scheme was helter skelter.

SoonerStormchaser
12/27/2007, 04:26 PM

Did John Blake recruit the Heisman runner-up and half the offense that carried us to that title? Did he recruit Strait?

Does that mean that the Big 12 shouldn't be allowed in the BCS title game, either?

Signed,

2001 Miami
2004 USC

Mark it down bri...you and I are in agreement for once! SPEK!

soonermeteor
12/27/2007, 06:03 PM
I actually think tOSU has a weaker argument to be there than LSU. They take the last two weeks of the season off while most of us played some good football. Isn't that worse than when talking heads complain about gimme games on the out of conference schedule? If teams are going to be ranked against each other, make them play the same amount of games.

However, I have to pull for tOSU in the title game. I know I'll hear back about how I didnt think they should be there and they win blah blah, but the SEC homers are the reason we didn't go. The SEC does not need a second national championship after Florida to keep those heads splooging.