PDA

View Full Version : Which is the more PC, and why?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/26/2007, 01:50 PM
"Happy Holidays" or "Season's Greetings"? I just received an email from an old friend, who sent out a form letter of sorts to people he knows/knew, beginning with "Seasons Greetings". It sorta struck me as FOS...

Widescreen
12/26/2007, 02:37 PM
I've been getting Season's Greetings cards since the early 1970's. I don't mind the Happy Holidays thing as much as a lot of people. I just say "thanks, Merry Christmas to you" and move on. Retailer policy shifts in the last few years bug me a little because I think it's stupid to do something like that to prevent 3% of the people from potentially getting upset. If I was in Israel at a store and someone told me Happy Hannukah, I'd say "thank you". I can't imagine getting in the store employee's face and screaming I'M NOT JEWISH AND I CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS!!!! I'LL NEVER SHOP HERE AGAIN! But apparently that kind of thing actually happens in the good ol' US of A.

12/26/2007, 02:40 PM
"Seasons Greetings" just seems a little more distant and detached than "Happy Holidays". At least the latter does recognize that there is a holiday.

SicEmBaylor
12/26/2007, 02:40 PM
I don't have too big a problem with Season's Greetings; because, I always assumed that was a way of covering both Christmas and New Year's. I never thought of it as a substitute for Merry Christmas.

Happy Holidays, on the other hand, is a substitute for Christmas.

12/26/2007, 02:45 PM
I don't have too big a problem with Season's Greetings; because, I always assumed that was a way of covering both Christmas and New Year's. I never thought of it as a substitute for Merry Christmas.

Happy Holidays, on the other hand, is a substitute for Christmas.IMO, the PC world has no problem with wishing a happy New Year. If Christmas wasn't celebrated, they wouldn't have come up with either of those substitutes for mentioning Christmas.

Widescreen
12/26/2007, 02:49 PM
I can't really view "Season's Greetings" as some kind of PC codeword. As I mentioned above I've been getting those cards since the early 1970's, long before politically correctness reared its head. There is certainly evidence that Happy Holidays has a PC tone to it, but not Season's Greetings - although I'm certain that a lot of PC types would say that rather than Merry Christmas.

12/26/2007, 02:51 PM
Joyous Winter Solstice time of year to you and yours, mofos.

Pricetag
12/26/2007, 02:52 PM
IMO, the PC world has no problem with wishing a happy New Year. If Christmas wasn't celebrated, they wouldn't have come up with either of those substitutes for mentioning Christmas.
Sure they would. Hannukah and Kwanzaa would still be there, and whichever was the dominant religion would be bitching about it then.

12/26/2007, 02:56 PM
Sure they would. Hannukah and Kwanzaa would still be there, and whichever was the dominant religion would be bitching about it then.Ya, at least the Germans might have eventually thought about ignoring Hannukah(sp?), but PC Christmas treatment is about Christianity. I suppose you don't think Christianity is under attack in the USA...

SoonerStormchaser
12/26/2007, 02:57 PM
Merry Happy Christmakwanzukah

Frozen Sooner
12/26/2007, 02:57 PM
You know, I've never once gotten offended because someone wished me Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Krunk Kwanzaa, Season's Greetings, or whatever.

Call me a bad atheist, but I always just assume that when someone says those things, they're not proselytizing, they're just hoping that I have a nice day. Which I can get behind.

12/26/2007, 03:00 PM
You know, I've never once gotten offended because someone wished me Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Krunk Kwanzaa, Season's Greetings, or whatever.

Call me a bad atheist, but I always just assume that when someone says those things, they're not proselytizing, they're just hoping that I have a nice day. Which I can get behind.Agreement. I don't get personally offended. I just think the entire world of PC is just stupid, AT BEST.

Pricetag
12/26/2007, 03:25 PM
Ya, at least the Germans might have eventually thought about ignoring Hannukah(sp?), but PC Christmas treatment is about Christianity. I suppose you don't think Christianity is under attack in the USA...
I hear a lot of talk about it, but I don't buy it.

IMO, "Happy Holidays" is about making money. A handful of very loud people (whose loudness is also about making money) have overanalyzed and yapped a ton about it, and now there are folks with a severe case of red *** going around telling people "Merry Christmas" actually hoping it ****es them off, which is all wrong.

Just like Mike Rich, I'll never be offended when someone wishes me well, no matter what their version of well is.

mdklatt
12/26/2007, 11:28 PM
Bitching about being wished "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" is just as stupid as all the rest of the permutations.

OCUDad
12/26/2007, 11:37 PM
Doesn't the very word "holiday" derive from "holy day"? Why bitch if someone is wishing you happy holy days, regardless of what you define as "holy"?

SanJoaquinSooner
12/27/2007, 12:52 AM
I think it's stupid to do something like that to prevent 3% of the people from potentially getting upset.

Where do you get the notion that this is the reason they [retailers] use Happy Holidays or Seasons Greetings?

SoonerGirl06
12/27/2007, 01:16 AM
Because they (the retailers) are afraid of the ACLU or some other leftist organization sueing them for saying something to someone that they may find offensive.

I think it's getting a bit ridiculous that you can't even offer someone well wishes without the fear of offending or getting sued.

Frozen Sooner
12/27/2007, 01:23 AM
Because they (the retailers) are afraid of the ACLU or some other leftist organization sueing them for saying something to someone that they may find offensive.

I think it's getting a bit ridiculous that you can't even offer someone well wishes without the fear of offending or getting sued.

Please show me an example of any retailer ever being sued by the ACLU for wishing someone a Merry Christmas that would make this a valid concern.

Please, just one.

Any retailer worried about getting sued for wishing a customer a Merry Christmas is a moron. Worrying about offending someone is probably more valid, but it seems like the only people getting all that worked up over what people say to them at the end of December are the putative Christians.

Go figure.

12/27/2007, 02:07 AM
Please show me an example of any retailer ever being sued by the ACLU for wishing someone a Merry Christmas that would make this a valid concern.

Please, just one.

Any retailer worried about getting sued for wishing a customer a Merry Christmas is a moron. Worrying about offending someone is probably more valid, but it seems like the only people getting all that worked up over what people say to them at the end of December are the putative Christians.

Go figure.Worked up about the society's pervasive assault on Christianity, yes. Retailers don't just fear lawsuits, but all kinds of harrassment and adverse publicity. Mike, as sharp as you are, you know that.

Frozen Sooner
12/27/2007, 02:51 AM
It must be tough to be part of the persecuted 90% of America.

Oh, how it must burn to hear someone say "Happy Holidays."

Harassment? Adverse publicity? Strange-I have yet to see a store get ANY adverse publicity because their employees say "Merry Christmas." I guess that someone occasionally acts like an *** because someone said it, but I've noticed that people tend to act like asses for other silly reasons as well. Please note, however, that the post I responded to (I even quoted it, so it'd be easy to find!) cited the specific fear of a lawsuit brought forth by the ACLU or "other left-wing group." Produce the body, sir.

Like I said: the only people I see getting all that worked up over what people say near the end of December are Christians upset because their specific Holy Day isn't singled out by name.

It's interesting: the VAST majority of Americans describe themselves as Christians, and I keep hearing Christians complain about how society is making war on them. YOU ARE THE SOCIETY! When you hold a 90% majority of the population, when elected officials are almost unanimously self-described Christians...how is it that the small small minority is somehow able to effectively "make war" on you? And if we're that effective at it, are we maybe on to something? ;)

Okla-homey
12/27/2007, 08:31 AM
You know, I've never once gotten offended because someone wished me Krunk Kwanzaa.

that's funny right there. :D

BTW, do y'all have any black folks up there? (that aren't GI's I mean)

Mjcpr
12/27/2007, 09:18 AM
My observation has been that black folk don't care much for the cold or for large bodies of water.

Widescreen
12/27/2007, 09:20 AM
Scott D must be in agony, then. :D

12/27/2007, 10:41 AM
...how is it that the small small minority is somehow able to effectively "make war" on you? And if we're that effective at it, are we maybe on to something? ;)Yeah, good job on that war. The "Holidays" is centered around Christmas. Just a friendly(seriously) reminder.

Pricetag
12/27/2007, 11:05 AM
Yeah, good job on that war. The "Holidays" is centered around Christmas. Just a friendly(seriously) reminder.
He was arguing that the war exists only inside the heads of those folks who are complaining about it.

The idea of Christianity being taken down in this country by non-Christians is a joke. The only way something like that could ever happen is if the folks drumming up all this talk got their way, if the United States became an official Christian republic. The ensuing power struggle between the different factions would be a blood bath of the highest order.

Frozen Sooner
12/27/2007, 11:22 AM
that's funny right there. :D

BTW, do y'all have any black folks up there? (that aren't GI's I mean)

Um, yes? Not sure as to the actual demographics, but there's black folks up here. Heck, a bunch of people from the board got to meet a real, live black Alaskan at the Fiesta Bowl last year-my buddy who traveled with me is black.

12/27/2007, 11:32 AM
He was arguing that the war exists only inside the heads of those folks who are complaining about it.

The idea of Christianity being taken down in this country by non-Christians is a joke. The only way something like that could ever happen is if the folks drumming up all this talk got their way, if the United States became an official Christian republic. The ensuing power struggle between the different factions would be a blood bath of the highest order.The conflict is ALREADY THERE, between those who say an acknowledgement of a God in any public document or memorial, etc. is a violation of the First Amendment, and those of us who realize that those people's position is hogwash. The first amendment establishes that there be no official national religion. Talking about God, and belief in God, is not a violation of that amendment. But hey, you know that and choose to ignore it. You guys try to suggest some Christian leader is going to force people to become Christians OR SOMETHING. I don't know exactly what you think is going to happen. There are many Americans who appear to have more fear of Christianity than they do of the Islamists, who have sworn to kill ALL TYPES of Americans, and destroy America and Israel. That's pretty twisted, IMO. The power struggle you speak of is on. A lot of people on the political right don't realize it, yet, but you and I know it is.

limey_sooner
12/27/2007, 12:47 PM
It has to be seasons greetings since Bush and Condi both said happy holidays at their press conferences before Christmas.

12/27/2007, 12:49 PM
It has to be seasons greetings since Bush and Condi both said happy holidays at their press conferences before Christmas.IMHO, YOU ARE CORRECT, SIR!You will receive a green thingy, FWIW. CORNGRATUMALATIONS!