12/25/2007, 11:29 PM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
December 21, 2007

Elaine Schock or Meredith Louie

TOBY KEITH'S MOTHER AND HER CHILDREN AWARDED $2.8 MILLION
FOR WRONGFUL DEATH OF SINGER'S FATHER, HUBERT "H.K." COVEL

Family Grateful That Jury Confirmed H.K. Covel Bore No Responsibility
For The Bus/Car Accident

The family and estate of H.K. Covel won a 2.8 million dollar award against Elias Rodriguez and Pedro Rodriguez -- doing business as, Rodriguez Transportes of Tulsa and the Republic Western Insurance Company, an Arizona Corporation -- for wrongful death and negligence causing the death of Mr. Covel, who was killed in a car accident in March 2001. Mr. Covel was the father of singer-songwriter Toby Keith.

H.K. was driving a Ford truck that was traveling northbound on I-35 near Goldsby, OK when he was bumped by another vehicle, sending H.K.'s truck across the median, where it was struck by a southbound tour (charter) bus. The Rodriguezes were in a 1996 Dina Viag charter-type bus loaded with 21 passengers at the time of the accident. They had purchased the bus in October of 2000. In the following month, November 2000, a bus servicing facility in Tulsa inspected the bus and found it was "urgently" in need of brake work. An expert witness testified that H.K. Covel would have lived if the bus has been equipped with proper brakes and the driver had been properly trained to drive the bus. The evidence in the case revealed the bus driver, David Perez, was not trained to drive a commercial bus and did not have a commercial driver's license. The jury concluded the accident was clearly avoidable.

Initially it was speculated that Mr. Covel may have suffered a medical condition, thereby causing the accident because at that time, no one knew that a car had bumped his truck onto the other side of I-35. Six months after the accident, Jeanne Sparlin, who was the driver of that vehicle, was charged with leaving the scene of a fatality accident. She later pled guilty to the charge. This collection of facts led the Covel family to hire an investigator to determine how the accident occurred and what caused Mr. Covel's death.

The unanimous jury verdict in the case answered these questions for the family, clearly establishing that H.K. was not, in any respect, at fault in the accident. In addition, the jury found by clear and convincing evidence that Elias Rodriguez and Pedro Rodriguez doing business as Rodriguez Transportes acted in reckless disregard for the rights of H.K. Covel.

"We were only there to find the truth and the jury saw it so plainly that they awarded us a unanimous decision," Toby Keith said.

The plaintiffs in the case were H.K.'s wife, Carolyn Covel, his daughter, Tonni Covel and sons Toby Keith Covel and Tracey Covel. The attorneys for plaintiffs were Russell L. Mulinix, Joe Goerke and Armando Rosell of the Oklahoma City Law firm Mulinix Ogden Hall Andrews & Ludlam, P.L.L.C. And Greg Dixon of Purcell, Oklahoma.

The jury's verdict represents the largest single jury verdict ever rendered in McClain County, Oklahoma. The Honorable Judge Candace Blalock presided over the trial.

tbl
12/26/2007, 12:44 AM
I'm not sure about this one. The guy crossed the lane into oncoming traffic. Not sure how that is avoidable.

KABOOKIE
12/26/2007, 01:29 AM
Yeah lawyers! Some dumb yainch causes the accident. So let's sue those who have money, make up a good story and payoff a few 'expert' witnesses.

Rhino
12/26/2007, 02:07 AM
You should post the results of every case your firm completes, Rus.

1stTimeCaller
12/26/2007, 07:55 AM
Rusty Mulinix, Attorney at Law

hahahahahahahahaha

Okla-homey
12/26/2007, 08:01 AM
Cool. But, I would like to point out, for the record, it's just possible the hapless messican bus owners may not have a nickle to pay the judgment. In fact, I strongly suspect that will turn out to be the case.

In short, the plaintiffs better hope that Arizona insurance company is solvent.

Mjcpr
12/26/2007, 09:39 AM
I doubt they're hurting for it. I'm thinking it's more to "clear" dad's name.

1stTimeCaller
12/26/2007, 09:40 AM
I really thought this thread was gonna be about that rabbit.

It would have been better iffin it was.

Boarder
12/26/2007, 01:05 PM
This is what's wrong with America. So now you have to beware of people crossing over the median after being hit by another driver (who later tried to cover it up, but that's another story) or else YOU will be sued.

You people should be ashamed of yourselves.

frankensooner
12/26/2007, 01:41 PM
Good Jorb Rus

Frozen Sooner
12/26/2007, 01:58 PM
His name is Kunta Kinte.

C&CDean
12/26/2007, 02:58 PM
What's weird here is that I know the person who hit Toby's dad very well - and didn't know she'd done this until right now. It does explain some strange behavior she exhibited around that time.

Good job Rus. Another couple mil$ settlements and you'll be in the rarified air that only Bruce and his butler OU4LIFE enjoy. However, you really do need to post the ones you lose here too.... Keep it real, yo.

Mjcpr
12/26/2007, 02:59 PM
And Lid.

soonerbrat
12/26/2007, 03:00 PM
What's weird here is that I know the person who hit Toby's dad very well - and didn't know she'd done this until right now. It does explain some strange behavior she exhibited around that time.

Good job Rus. Another couple mil$ settlements and you'll be in the rarified air that only Bruce and his butler OU4LIFE enjoy. However, you really do need to post the ones you lose here too.... Keep it real, yo.

is she from colorado?

C&CDean
12/26/2007, 03:01 PM
is she from colorado?

No, Pauls Valley.

soonerbrat
12/26/2007, 03:02 PM
ok..i know someone from colorado with the same name. but she's always been weird.

Soonerus
12/26/2007, 04:32 PM

What losses ????

BlondeSoonerGirl
12/26/2007, 04:36 PM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/aimmer452/turd.jpg

Lott's Bandana
12/26/2007, 04:44 PM
Six months later? Did she turn herself in?

CatfishSooner
12/26/2007, 04:48 PM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/aimmer452/turd.jpg

I smell a little jealousy here...

C&CDean
12/26/2007, 04:48 PM
What losses ????

So now you're gonna tell us you bat 1.000%??

SoonerGirl06
12/26/2007, 05:06 PM
So is anything going to happen to the woman who initially caused the accident?

I'm assuming all of the facts regarding the chartered bus hitting Covel's truck were revealed in the court to allow the jury to come to the verdict they did. I'm also going to assume the jury came to the right conclusion.

I seriously doubt the lawsuit had anything to do with money and more about getting to the bottom of what actually happened.

KC//CRIMSON
12/26/2007, 09:53 PM

We're all smelling a little attention whore here too.

Frozen Sooner
12/26/2007, 10:07 PM
Congratulations, Russell. That's a big win.

If I recall correctly, DOT-governed businesses have a higher duty of care on the road than your average motorist, correct?

Boarder
12/26/2007, 10:14 PM
Eh, I heard Greg Dixon did all the work anyway.

Soonerus
12/26/2007, 10:17 PM
Eh, I heard Greg Dixon did all the work anyway.

Call Greg and ask him...

Boarder
12/26/2007, 10:22 PM
Oooh, that brought you out quick! :D

Soonerus
12/26/2007, 10:27 PM
I just got online...

SoonerGirl06
12/26/2007, 10:27 PM
I have to say if I was a part of something of this caliber, I'd brag about it too.

Soonerus
12/26/2007, 10:28 PM
Not bragging just trying to set the record straight as some of the media reports have been very inaccurate...

Rhino
12/26/2007, 10:37 PM
some of the media reports have been very inaccurate... [hairGel]

olevetonahill
12/26/2007, 10:40 PM
Not bragging just trying to set the record straight as some of the media reports have been very inaccurate...
Did it make ya wanta Puke ?

SoonerGirl06
12/26/2007, 10:45 PM

Clue some of us folks in who don't live in the OK area.

What inaccurate reports have the media been reporting?

Soonerus
12/26/2007, 10:47 PM
I am not comfortable discussing it on here other than the press release...

JohnnyMack
12/26/2007, 10:49 PM
This report was brought to me....by the mother......of Mexicans....

SoonerGirl06
12/26/2007, 11:02 PM

You befuggle me. I'm drinking tequila and you still befuggle me.:rolleyes:

olevetonahill
12/26/2007, 11:04 PM
Hey Rus she was just askin about the Inakurat statements by the Press .
You dont Need to say anything . Just give a few News links that are already Public .
Just sayin

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/27/2007, 12:31 AM
Something tells me that if the Defendants hadn't been named "Rodriguez" and the dead guy's kid wasn't Toby Keith, this wouldn't have even been a case.

C&CDean
12/27/2007, 08:57 AM
Something tells me that if the Defendants hadn't been named "Rodriguez" and the dead guy's kid wasn't Toby Keith, this wouldn't have even been a case.

You're half right.

BlondeSoonerGirl
12/27/2007, 01:59 PM

I'm pretty sure that's turd you smell...

stoopified
12/27/2007, 03:27 PM
Not bragging just trying to set the record straight as some of the media reports have been very inaccurate...The media?Inacurrate?Surely you jest?

Mjcpr
12/27/2007, 03:28 PM
Well, there's no better place to set the record straight than the SO.

Ross33
12/27/2007, 10:08 PM
Yeah lawyers! Some dumb yainch causes the accident. So let's sue those who have money, make up a good story and payoff a few 'expert' witnesses.

Serious question here. Why is this the lawyers' fault? You realize that a jury of regular people concluded that these guys did something wrong? If the lawyers were guilty of doing something wrong by suing these guys, wouldn't the jury have found in their favor?

For the record, I'm a defense attorney 99% of the time. But I get tired of hearing lawyers blamed for big verdicts when the Regular Joes in the jury box have control of the whole process.

olevetonahill
12/27/2007, 10:30 PM
Cause of all the smoke and Mirror crap Lawyers pull :D

C&CDean
12/28/2007, 10:20 AM
Serious question here. Why is this the lawyers' fault? You realize that a jury of regular people concluded that these guys did something wrong? If the lawyers were guilty of doing something wrong by suing these guys, wouldn't the jury have found in their favor?

For the record, I'm a defense attorney 99% of the time. But I get tired of hearing lawyers blamed for big verdicts when the Regular Joes in the jury box have control of the whole process.

It's like everything else. Sorta.

The few really rotten apples make the rest of the crowd look bad. Except in lawyerin', there's an abnormally high number of rotten apples per capita. For every 5 decent lawyers, there's another 5 megalomaniacs who actually believe that going to law school for a couple years somehow puts them into an exclusive club where it's OK to diddle with the lives of peons. And make no mistake about it, lawyers diddle with people's lives every day. To them, it's a gig, but to the people they represent, it's oftentimes life and death.

If you're gonna go to law school and become a lawyer you need to understand that people are going to think you're a conniving, lying, loophole searching, ambulance chasing, cheating, greasy, slimy, corrupt, thieving, whoring, no good POS. And about half the time, they're right on with their assessment. It comes with the territory. If you didn't want people to think you were a slimeball then you should have went to medical school or gotten a real job somewhere.

TUSooner
12/28/2007, 10:36 AM

The few really rotten apples make the rest of the crowd look bad. Except in lawyerin', there's an abnormally high number of rotten apples per capita. For every 5 decent lawyers, there's another 5 megalomaniacs who actually believe that going to law school for a couple years somehow puts them into an exclusive club where it's OK to diddle with the lives of peons. And make no mistake about it, lawyers diddle with people's lives every day. To them, it's a gig, but to the people they represent, it's oftentimes life and death.

If you're gonna go to law school and become a lawyer you need to understand that people are going to think you're a conniving, lying, loophole searching, ambulance chasing, cheating, greasy, slimy, corrupt, thieving, whoring, no good POS. And about half the time, they're right on with their assessment. It comes with the territory. If you didn't want people to think you were a slimeball then you should have went to medical school or gotten a real job somewhere.

That pretty much sums up why I wouldn't leave the court for private practice for an apple barrel full of cash money.

soonerinabilene
12/28/2007, 10:36 AM
Lids retort in 3,2,1...

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/28/2007, 01:38 PM
You're half right.Which half? I still want to know why TK's dad needed his name cleared after a car wreck.

BigRedJed
12/28/2007, 02:08 PM
I am not comfortable discussing it on here other than the press release until I'm a little better lubricated...
Fixed...

C&CDean
12/28/2007, 02:56 PM
Which half? I still want to know why TK's dad needed his name cleared after a car wreck.

That half about TK's dad.

The part about the Rodriguez thing smacked of left-wing political correctness run amok. Which isn't the case here.

Ross33
12/28/2007, 05:55 PM

I think you missed my point. You can think all those things about me if you want. I can't control your pre-judgments. I'll just move along with my day knowing none of that applies to me.

My point was this - I want people to look in the mirror the next time they see a jury verdict they find shocking. Those are regular people in the jury box - not lawyers. McDonald's had to pay $2 million to a woman who spilled coffee on herself - why? Because a jury of regular people determined that McDonald's did something wrong. If that's a stupid result, look in the mirror and blame the jury.

And more importantly, when you get the chance to serve on a jury, don't let a stupid result happen on your watch.

Miko
12/28/2007, 06:11 PM
McDonald's had to pay $2 million to a woman who spilled coffee on herself - why? Because a jury of regular people determined that McDonald's did something wrong.

Actually, I was told that there was a lot more to this case than most know. Of course, I was told by a a conniving, lying, loophole searching, ambulance chasing, cheating, greasy, slimy, corrupt, thieving, whoring, no good POS lawyer.

But he said the case hinged on documents showing that McDs found that if they served the coffee so many degrees higher, the savings of fewer in store- refills (because it was too damn hot to drink) would outweigh the costs of getting and keeping the coffee hotter.

John Kochtoston
12/28/2007, 06:35 PM
Actually, I was told that there was a lot more to this case than most know. Of course, I was told by a a conniving, lying, loophole searching, ambulance chasing, cheating, greasy, slimy, corrupt, thieving, whoring, no good POS lawyer.

But he said the case hinged on documents showing that McDs found that if they served the coffee so many degrees higher, the savings of fewer in store- refills (because it was too damn hot to drink) would outweigh the costs of getting and keeping the coffee hotter.

Also, McDonald's was on notice about their coffee being way too hot (almost boiling), and it wasn't a driver, but a passenger, that spilled the coffee.

http://www.atla.org/homepage/debunk.aspx

(Yes, the above link comes from the ATLA, which is obviously a biased source. But this info is available from other sources.)

Frozen Sooner
12/28/2007, 06:54 PM

I don't think Ross was stating that the award was incorrect. I think he was just saying that many people seem to have a problem with it and that it wasn't lawyers who came up with the award-it was a jury of regular people who were convinced by the preponderance of evidence that McDonald's was willfully negligent.

1stTimeCaller
12/28/2007, 08:19 PM
If the case wasn't about money then why an award of $2.8MM? Why not sue for $1 if the suit is about principle and not money?

Doesn't the Plaintif (aka tort feasor, hee hee I know a term that Homey and Mike Rich know!!!) have to state why they are suing, how much they want for compensatory damages and also ask for punitive damages?

Petro-Sooner
12/28/2007, 09:31 PM
If you didn't want people to think you were a slimeball then you should have went to medical school or gotten a real job somewhere like a geologist.

Well thank you Dean. That means a lot!! :D :D

KABOOKIE
12/29/2007, 07:08 PM
I'm sure there's a law out there that states coffee must be served at X degrees. Anyone? Can any of you conniving, lying, loophole searching, ambulance chasing, cheating, greasy, slimy, corrupt, thieving, whoring, no good POS lawyers tell me the law? HFN you can't. But you go out and find a bunch of documents that shows McD's made their coffee too hot. And use tactics like emotional testimony and sympathetic pandering to get 12 'regular' people to feel sorry for the victim. I mean why not. McD's has billions of dollars and they don't give a **** about you, me or some dumb *** yainch who didn't have the sense to hold on to a cup of hot coffee. :rolleyes: