PDA

View Full Version : Sooners' class not as good as it once looked

milesl
12/25/2007, 01:16 AM
This was written in the Daily Oklahoman on the 21st. I didn't see it reprinted here.
I have 2 questions I need the experts here to address.
1. We are losing some big talent to way lesser teams ??!! I could understand losing talent to a USC or a LSU or Florida - but to a Oklahoma State and Miami teams ???? WTF ? If you want to play in a National Championship or the NFL one day wouldn't you play for a team that has a best chance of getting you there ??
2. The writer of the article kinda backpedals at the end and says we should still have a big class with some others recruits we are working on. Will we have a top 5 recruitment class or do we need to be worried ?

Here's the article:

Staff Writer
NORMAN — By August, Oklahoma had perhaps the top football recruiting class in the country after receiving verbal commitments from the top three high school players in Texas.

But that momentum has gradually dwindled, culminating with last week when OU lost three commitments.

Now, the Sooners no longer have a top-10 class.

"I don't know why anyone wouldn't want to come to Oklahoma,” said offensive lineman Stephen Good, the third-best recruit out of Texas who committed to OU in February. "I don't know where all this is coming from. I've been following it and I'm disappointed about those players going elsewhere, but it's their decision. We still have a bunch of great players in this class.”

OU started out its recruiting season on fire, garnering early commitments from Texas' top-three prospects in running back Jermie Calhoun (Van, Texas), defensive end R.J. Washington (Keller, Texas) and Good (Paris, Texas).

OU also reeled in four-star quarterback Landry Jones (Artesia, N.M.), who tossed seven touchdown passes in the state championship game.

But since the summer, the Sooners haven't landed a single commitment and have lost pledges from three players — wide receiver Jeff Fuller (McKinney, Texas), safety Markelle Martin (Wichita Falls, Texas) and linebacker Taylor Hill (Youngstown, Ohio) — over the past two weeks.

"As soon as the summer was over, OU was top three in the country,” said Carey Murdock, who has covered Sooner recruiting for almost a decade. "It's safe to say that the momentum built up early hasn't materialized throughout the year.”

Fuller — the No. 15th-ranked receiver in the country according to Rivals.com — changed his commitment to Texas A&M, in part because of the hiring of coach Mike Sherman and in part because Fuller's father played for the Aggies.

Martin — the nation's No. 12-ranked safety — switched to Oklahoma State a week after committing to the Sooners.

And Hill — who attends Cardinal Mooney, where Bob Stoops went to high school and where Stoops' brother Ron Stoops Jr. coaches — made a mutual separation with OU after telling Sooner coaches he was considering staying closer to home.

OU also lost out on Arthur Brown (Wichita, Kan.) — the nation's No. 2-ranked outside linebacker — who eliminated the Sooners and recently committed to Miami, even though the Hurricanes had already landed four of the best outside linebacker prospects.

"That was shocking to me,” Murdock said. "Anytime I've known (OU defensive coordinator) Brent Venables to set his sights on a prospect, he doesn't finish outside the top five.”

But all is not lost for this Sooner class.

OU could still creep back into the top 10 and maybe even the top 5 with a strong finish.

The Sooners are still in on Muskogee's duo of Jameel Owens (the nation's No. 6 receiver) and Stacey McGee (the nation's No. 6 defensive tackle), who are expected to announce their decisions on signing day.

OU is also a finalist for the nation's second-best prospect, 6-foot-4, 215-pound wide receiver Julio Jones (Foley, Ala.) who is expected to visit Norman in late January.

Salt Lake City linebacker Lynn Katoa (the nation's No. 2 inside linebacker) has committed to Colorado but has said he is still considering the Sooners, too.

OU also has a good chance of landing receiver Joshua Jarboe (Ellenwood, Ga.) and junior-college linebacker J.R. Bryant (Garden City, Kan.).

"When you recruit some of the best players, you may lose on some,” said Jeremy Crabtree, national recruiting editor for Rivals. "But there's enough quality left on the board for Oklahoma to get back in the top 10 or top 5 before everything is said and done.

goingoneight
12/25/2007, 01:35 AM
Markelle Martin is a huge WTF, IMHO. He's a monster defensive back and we'll be in need of a few really soon, and so he off and chooses a program with a reputation of pathetic defense and a revolving door at the defensive coaching positions.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/25/2007, 02:03 AM
If you don't sign with OU, I can understand going with miami or the suc, for their great locations, but that's about it.

VMG
12/25/2007, 02:25 AM
Come on guys, get a life. Texas has been "winning" these recruiting polls for years. That should tell you something about their validity...

Crucifax Autumn
12/25/2007, 05:55 AM
Screw it...We have coaches that can turn lesser recruits into superstars!

TripleOption14
12/25/2007, 07:07 AM
Come on guys, get a life. Texas has been "winning" these recruiting polls for years. That should tell you something about their validity...

No. It tells you something about the coaches. :D

TheHumanAlphabet
12/25/2007, 08:46 AM
Don't blame kids who switch their choice, they are asked to make a choice so early, how can a person that age come to a meaningful decision, so early and quick? I mean, I didn't know where I wanted to go to school as a Junior. Too much media and fan following and because of parity, kids are asked to make choices much earlier now to "lock" in schollies. I can't see this as continuing much longer, too many issues for the NCAA not to weigh in...

MextheBulldog
12/25/2007, 12:40 PM
Recruiting classes cannot be effectively judged as good or bad until 4-5 years later. As long as Coach Stoops sticks around, OU will always get a share of the top recruits, regardless as to how the 'experts' rank the classes.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/25/2007, 01:01 PM
I gotta believe there are some juicy negatives that are being proclaimed by other NCAA member institutions about OU.

Socrefbek
12/25/2007, 01:22 PM
I would bet $$ that the recruits that reneged on their commitiments for OState and Miami did so because of $$$$. It just does not make any sense otherwise. They turned down going to a school that is closer to home and has a better program than where they are supposedly going now. I do think, based on the experience with the Norman kid that switched back and forth between OU and oSu last year, OU should close the door on these kids if they try to switch back. I believe it is just reflective of their ability to make a quality decision and see it through. There is no reason for them to commit before the signing day if they aren't sure yet and it does not look poorly on them. Making a commitment and then changing your mind does reflect poorly IMO.

The kid in Ohio I can understand being excited or under pressure to play for Bob Stoops because of the connection with his dad and now brother coaching there. However, in the end he realizes he wants to play where he can be around friends and family. I think if OU would get a commit from one of the other Cardinal Mooney players they were pursuing he might be more inclined to come to OU.

Leroy Lizard
12/25/2007, 03:42 PM
I have never understood why the media uses the term "commitment." If the player changes his mind, he wasn't committed.

If they used the term "probable," a lot of these switches would be more understandable to the sports public.

I do think, based on the experience with the Norman kid that switched back and forth between OU and oSu last year, OU should close the door on these kids if they try to switch back.

Disagree. Just tell him that we will leave the light on for him, but not if we fill our needs early. So by waffling, he is taking the chance that there may not be a slot open for him when the time comes to make his decision.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/25/2007, 03:57 PM
I have never understood why the media uses the term "commitment." If the player changes his mind, he wasn't committed.

Also if the professor could make a radio out of a coconut why can't he fix a hole in the boat?

I is an engrish prefessor.

Disagree. Just tell him that we will leave the light on for him, but not if we fill our needs early. So by waffling, he is taking the chance that there may not be a slot open for him when the time comes to make his decision.

There are numerous reasons why recruits change commitments and it is isn't always a reflection that a team is doing something wrong. Sometimes it a butterfly effect. Some players are more likely to go to a team because they are bad rather than compete for a starting spot.

This article seems like it could be rewritten any year about this time. Just depends how you want to spin it. I think from a quality standpoint this could be the best class in a long time.

HateTheWhorns
12/25/2007, 05:11 PM
I would bet $$ that the recruits that reneged on their commitiments for OState and Miami did so because of $$$$. It just does not make any sense otherwise. They turned down going to a school that is closer to home and has a better program than where they are supposedly going now. I do think, based on the experience with the Norman kid that switched back and forth between OU and oSu last year, OU should close the door on these kids if they try to switch back. I believe it is just reflective of their ability to make a quality decision and see it through. There is no reason for them to commit before the signing day if they aren't sure yet and it does not look poorly on them. Making a commitment and then changing your mind does reflect poorly IMO.

The kid in Ohio I can understand being excited or under pressure to play for Bob Stoops because of the connection with his dad and now brother coaching there. However, in the end he realizes he wants to play where he can be around friends and family. I think if OU would get a commit from one of the other Cardinal Mooney players they were pursuing he might be more inclined to come to OU.

Bingo.....you win the big prize. I can't speak for Miami, but I know some current Dallas area players that are being treated awfully well in Stillwater (and I will leave it at that). IF I were an Aggot fan, then I would be very worried about TBP's win at all cost mentality. IF recruits end up being lured away for less than honorable reasons, then I say good riddance.

soonermeteor
12/25/2007, 05:45 PM
Sammy was a 3 star, that should sum up the rankings. :D

Hes not the best college player to ever hit the field obviously, but a good example of recruits far surpassing any expectation these media people may have.

85Sooner
12/25/2007, 07:58 PM
You can come to OU and win championships or you can go somewhere else and watch OU win championships. Its your choice.

Youngsooner
12/25/2007, 11:18 PM
whatev... sooners=amazingest team in the world

fadada1
12/26/2007, 09:10 AM
recruiting polls don't mean squat unless you're a longhorn fan. as mentioned above (sort of), it's all about coaching. how many 1-3 star prospects has bob stoops made into all-americans???? i don't know, but it's a substantial number.

remember folks, it's all about evaluating talent and potential... and then bringing that out on the field. AD was a freak. everyone knew he was going to be great. but what about the likes of derek strait, teddy lehman, torrence marshall, rocky calmus, even even roy williams. anyone here think roy would've been an all-american under blake???

let's keep in mind that most of these kids aren't done growing (or even close to being done growing). a good recruiter and evaluator of talent can see the physical potential in some of these kids. if they have good football smarts and the foundation to become great... the physical part will come. and with good coaching, the greatness will come.

1stTimeCaller
12/26/2007, 09:28 AM
Gresham is soft. Doesn't like contact. Will not play TE for OU. Would rather play basketball. Heart not in it. Lazy.
:rolleyes:

I think he has made us a pretty good TE.

These recruitniks are good for two things; selling magazines and winning UT Recruiting Nat'l Championships.

PLaw
12/26/2007, 09:36 AM
I gotta believe there are some juicy negatives that are being proclaimed by other NCAA member institutions about OU.

Got any examples? As far as I know, the ncaa crap is a distant memory; we are loaded for next year with a legit shot at BCS championship, and the staff is pretty much intact. Sure, Sumlin leaving will hurt with WR's, but that's not negative.

BOOMER

PLaw
12/26/2007, 09:44 AM
These recruitniks are good for two things; selling magazines and winning UT Recruiting Nat'l Championships.

Well said. At the end of the day, who can really rank the top 25 players by position of the millions that play HS ball.

As Bear used to say, "there are young men born to play for Alabama". I think the same can be said for the Sooners. If a young man chooses to play somewhere else, then good luck to him. Just remember, the Sooners will still be playing for championships.

I feel sorry for the kids that choose okie state like XLK, or tamu like Martin, or any of the t-sips over OU.

BOOMER

PLaw
12/26/2007, 09:46 AM
Sammy was a 3 star, that should sum up the rankings. :D

Hes not the best college player to ever hit the field obviously, but a good example of recruits far surpassing any expectation these media people may have.

So was Iggy. In fact Iggy may have been a 2 star.

Enough said.

BOOMER