PDA

View Full Version : Those with better memories...

Leroy Lizard
12/24/2007, 02:45 PM
... can maybe tell me, but in the years after 2000, did we go on and on and on about Josh Heuple the way Horn fans go on and on and on about Vince Young? It has been two years since he left UT, but you would think he has become the new team mascot judging by the way Hornfans talks about him.

OKLA21FAN
12/24/2007, 02:47 PM
yes, 'we' went on and on about #14 for about 3 or so years, then #18 started playing full time. :pop:

TripleOption14
12/24/2007, 03:05 PM
Fans still go on and on about the "2000 team" and i'm like does anyone realize that was almost a decade ago. We as OU fans always talk about other teams letting stuff go but sometimes i think some OU fans need to do the same.

LittleWingSooner
12/24/2007, 03:16 PM
Well Jason White showed signs of being a great one in 2001 just after Heupel left in the Texas game and then in 2003 he made everyone all but forget Heupel. Hybl did a decent job in 2002 also. Since Heupel joined the staff we've seen the Heupel love come back with him as a coach. I think he did a great job in 2000 being a leader. But the last half of the season his arm was not very good. He looked good in the NC game throwing the ball. But in the other games near the end of the year he never looked comfortable. He really got hurt bad against KSU. But I would love for us to have a leader like him at QB again. Jason had some of that, but he wasn't as vocal. I'm not sure if Sam is as vocal either but it's probably still too early to say with Sam.

Collier11
12/24/2007, 03:30 PM
Josh Heupel returned OU to glory in a very honorable and proud way, VY was the only thing that UT has had in 30 years other than mediocrity and above averageness!

Jacie
12/24/2007, 05:02 PM
Maybe I can put this in perspective.

Some fans (like me) will go on about Steve Davis, who only lost one game as a three-year starter from 73-75. He may be the least talented one-loss-in-over-30 games quarterback ever but he was a native of Oklahoma, a feel good story from start to finish, and never sullied OUr university. Now for pure magic we might talk about Jamelle Holieway, a true freshman who led the 1985 team to the National Title. Then you have your old timers who will reminisce about the glory days of the 50's, those back-to-back titles and 47 straight wins under QB Jim Harris. Real old timers will recall the name Claude Arnold of the 1950 title team.

But that was the distant past for most of the posters today. So we debate the merits of Huepel versus White versus Hybl and now versus Bradford. The These guys led OUr team to the title game or almost in the case of Hybl and Bradford and Sam will have another shot next year.

Now let's look at saxet. Before Vinnie if you perused the whorn boards during the off season you'd see posts about the 1969 Cotton Bowl and James Street. That was it. He was all they really had to talk about.

More recently they had a pretty good QB in Major Applewhite, one time Offensive Player of the Year in the Big XII. The Major was benched (benched!) the next season for a freshman, Chris Simms, who never did pan out for the whorns. The result was that talented saxet teams frittered away their chances of winning a title instead taking care of business.

So yeah, they talk about Young because he was special and because they know that unless lightning strikes twice they won't sniff a South Division title, forget the MNC, any year soon. We, on the other hand, save for some concerns over how many of OUr guys will turn pro early after this season, look forward to 2008 as another chance to go all the way.

That is the difference.

insuranceman_22
12/24/2007, 05:11 PM

Some fans (like me) will go on about Steve Davis, who only lost one game as a three-year starter from 73-75. He may be the least talented one-loss-in-over-30 games quarterback ever but he was a native of Oklahoma, a feel good story from start to finish, and never sullied OUr university. Now for pure magic we might talk about Jamelle Holieway, a true freshman who led the 1985 team to the National Title. Then you have your old timers who will reminisce about the glory days of the 50's, those back-to-back titles and 47 straight wins under QB Jim Harris. Real old timers will recall the name Claude Arnold of the 1950 title team.

But that was the distant past for most of the posters today. So we debate the merits of Huepel versus White versus Hybl and now versus Bradford. The These guys led OUr team to the title game or almost in the case of Hybl and Bradford and Sam will have another shot next year.

Now let's look at saxet. Before Vinnie if you perused the whorn boards during the off season you'd see posts about the 1969 Cotton Bowl and James Street. That was it. He was all they really had to talk about.

More recently they had a pretty good QB in Major Applewhite, one time Offensive Player of the Year in the Big XII. The Major was benched (benched!) the next season for a freshman, Chris Simms, who never did pan out for the whorns. The result was that talented saxet teams frittered away their chances of winning a title instead taking care of business.

So yeah, they talk about Young because he was special and because they know that unless lightning strikes twice they won't sniff a South Division title, forget the MNC, any year soon. We, on the other hand, save for some concerns over how many of OUr guys will turn pro early after this season, look forward to 2008 as another chance to go all the way.

That is the difference.

Dammit.....that was good

XingTheRubicon
12/24/2007, 05:25 PM
When your favorite team wins a national championship for the first time since your Dad was 9...........

you go on and on about it.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/24/2007, 05:37 PM
... can maybe tell me, but in the years after 2000, did we go on and on and on about Josh Heuple the way Horn fans go on and on and on about Vince Young? It has been two years since he left UT, but you would think he has become the new team mascot judging by the way Hornfans talks about him. She's the Sheriff is the greatest TV show ever.

We all loved Josh Heupel until we found out that he is pro-playoff. In 2003 we banished him never to return again. At least that is my recollection.

I can understand why Whorn fans love VY. He was the main reason for their only title in the last 35 years.

Leroy Lizard
12/24/2007, 06:03 PM
We all loved Josh Heupel until we found out that he is pro-playoff.

And they say that *I* won't let it go. :rolleyes:

Stitch Face
12/25/2007, 09:52 AM
I was one of a select, knowledgable few who knew that Heupel was no good and never would be.

PLaw
12/25/2007, 11:25 AM

That is the difference.

Well said.

BOOMER

MextheBulldog
12/25/2007, 12:27 PM
How about this? Who meant more to their team? VY to texas in '05 or JH to OU in '00? The obvious answer might be VY in '05, but not so fast my friend.

Think about that 41-31 shootout in Manhattan, or the way Heupel and Q carved up the horn defense. Or the way the offense found itself after falling in the hole to a stout Husker defense 14-0.

No question the OU 'D' saved the day in stoolwater, college station and the Orange Bowl. But VY also had a pretty darn good defense on his side too.

LittleWingSooner
12/25/2007, 12:32 PM
How about this? Who meant more to their team? VY to texas in '05 or JH to OU in '00? The obvious answer might be VY in '05, but not so fast my friend.

Think about that 41-31 shootout in Manhattan, or the way Heupel and Q carved up the horn defense. Or the way the offense found itself after falling in the hole to a stout Husker defense 14-0.

No question the OU 'D' saved the day in stoolwater, college station and the Orange Bowl. But VY also had a pretty darn good defense on his side too.

Josh Heupel was also clutch against OSU in the drive that put OU up by 5. And against A&M he kept us in that game when our defense couldn't stop Toombs from breaking about 150 tackles it seemed.

Little Al
12/25/2007, 05:18 PM
Sam > Steve > Josh

soonermeteor
12/25/2007, 05:52 PM
Why not go on and on about a great player in an incredible season? JH and VY can both qualify for that. The problem is when you use that as a mask to cover up how much you suck now. :rolleyes:

XingTheRubicon
12/26/2007, 10:43 AM
Josh Heupel was also clutch against OSU in the drive that put OU up by 5. And against A&M he kept us in that game when our defense couldn't stop Toombs from breaking about 150 tackles it seemed.

OU was leading 12-0 at half. OU won 12-7.

Arguably his worst game as a Sooner.

85Sooner
12/26/2007, 11:17 AM
... can maybe tell me, but in the years after 2000, did we go on and on and on about Josh Heuple the way Horn fans go on and on and on about Vince Young? It has been two years since he left UT, but you would think he has become the new team mascot judging by the way Hornfans talks about him.

no Offense but he is Starting in the NFL and playing pretty well. I am happy for the guy, and he is a pretty good role model as well. They have reason to be proud. I am sure we'll be doing the same thing with regards to AD if he continues his success.

OUMallen
12/26/2007, 11:23 AM
VY is arguably one of the best college talents evar who single-handedly won them a Rose Bowl then a BCS Championship. I'd talk about it too.

cheezyq
12/26/2007, 11:40 AM
Fans still go on and on about the "2000 team" and i'm like does anyone realize that was almost a decade ago. We as OU fans always talk about other teams letting stuff go but sometimes i think some OU fans need to do the same.

There's a difference here, though, that makes me disagree with this statement. OU is all about tradition. We've had dozens of all-time great teams and championship caliber players. Reminiscing about our great players and teams is just a natural part of being a Sooner. I'm just old enough to remember the '85 championship team and I reminisce about some of the other great 80s teams. I don't feel like I'm pathetic because it was over 20 years ago. I'm sure the guys that remember the '74, '75 teams feel the same way about those teams.

The 2000 team was a special team in that no one expected OU to win it all. Even after Red October we were still an underdog to the FSU team. Heupel was special in that he showed great leadership and skill, even without all the physical ability of a Vince Young. It was an underdog team that was exciting to watch, and Heupel did a great job of distributing to the playmakers on that team.

In contrast, most Texas fans realize that Vince Young WAS the "I" in that 2005 team. After suffering through QBs like Simms and Mock and Applewhite, they finally had someone who could get the job done. As a result, he becomes essentially their only memorable legend within the last 30-35 years, and gets immediate placement on Mt. Olympus as the Zeus of Texas football.

I don't blame them for doing that. He brought them something they haven't had in many of their lifetimes. The difference here is that OU fan's idolization of their "heroes" is muted by the fact that we've won 5 championships in the same time it took UT to win one. We have more great players and teams to celebrate, so the praise is distributed among all the Sooner legends.

Sure, they idolize Vince Young. But when your successes come only once every 30 years or so, you have to enjoy it for as long as you can.

RedstickSooner
12/26/2007, 12:08 PM
Dude, I've never stopped looking back with fondness & man-love for the days when Heupel was taking snaps under center.

He was our OC in 2000, and he ran that offense masterfully. White was a better QB (although maybe a bit laconic as a leader), but I'd take Heupel over him any day -- which is NOT a knock on White. Dude won (and earned) a Heisman. I'd love to have another five or six years of his eligibility, knees or no knees.

Still, Heupel was the shiznit, and he has the ring to prove it.

Civicus_Sooner
12/26/2007, 12:16 PM
Heupel also had one of college football's greatest defenses ever, watching his back.

That said Heupel is the best QB to play at OU since Jamelle.

achiro
12/26/2007, 01:10 PM
There are a lot of people who think JH should be OUr OC now based on his 2000 season...just sayin.;)

toast
12/26/2007, 01:25 PM
I don't care if ut fans are talking about VY 30 years from now if it means there hadn't been anyone, or any other championships since.

OUmillenium
12/26/2007, 02:48 PM
Now that is a good post! /w\

oudivesherpa
12/26/2007, 03:08 PM
In Houston, VY is GOD. If the TEXANS would have just drafted VY they would be headed to the Superbowl. Right and OSU would be playing for the National Championship if the would have landed VY, Reggie Bush, AD, Reggie Smith, Gerold McCoy and more 40 year olds who are MEN!