sooner n houston
12/24/2007, 09:55 AM
From the DMN _ Be sure and look at the stats at the bottom :eek:

Holiday Bowl may be last shot for Texas' Akina

Texas defensive coordinator on thin ice after frustrating season

12:40 AM CST on Monday, December 24, 2007
By CHIP BROWN / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]

AUSTIN – Texas coach Mack Brown was asked if co-defensive coordinator Duane Akina would be back calling plays next season.

The answer wasn't exactly an endorsement.

"What we'll do is – you constantly look at what you can do to re-evaluate and upgrade your program," Brown said.

The Texas coach in his 10th year went on to say he'll evaluate all of his coaches after Thursday's game against Arizona State in the Pacific Life Holiday Bowl.

Brown said he spent the last two weeks looking back over a season plagued by inconsistency, adding, "I've probably worked harder the last two weeks than I have my entire life."

It was a season that saw Texas need to recover onside kicks in the final minutes to secure victories against Arkansas State, Central Florida and Nebraska. Texas suffered the worst home loss in Brown's tenure in a 41-21 shocker against Kansas State, which finished 5-7. UT trailed TCU, 10-0, at halftime at home before winning, 34-13, and led only 17-10 at Baylor midway through the fourth quarter. There were also losses to rivals Oklahoma and Texas A&M.

Leadership concerns

Talent wasn't the issue, Brown said.

"People have talked about this team maybe not being as talented as the last two," Brown said. "This team was talented enough to win each week. Maybe they weren't as talented as all those guys in the NFL. Still doesn't matter. They were as talented as the guys we were playing against."

Brown said when a team doesn't play up to its talent, it's the coaches' fault.

"When we lose a game, I question my leadership, the staff's and then the players," Brown said. "And I question the players last because we're supposed to recruit and develop leaders. So any lack of leadership is on us."

Brown took a chance on promoting Akina to defensive play caller. He did it, in part, to stabilize the position after having Carl Reese, Greg Robinson and Gene Chizik all call plays on defense in a four-year span.

Outside of last year's 26-24 Alamo Bowl victory against Iowa, Akina had never called plays on defense before this year. His only play-calling experience was as offensive coordinator at Arizona from 1992-95.

Brown also trusted Akina's recommendation to hire Larry Mac Duff as co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach before the season. Mac Duff worked as defensive coordinator at Arizona under Dick Tomey from 1987-96. Mac Duff and Akina, both of whom earned $300,000 this season, worked together at Arizona in 1996, with Mac Duff calling plays on defense and Akina serving as defensive backs coach.

Age gap

But whether it was substitution patterns that called for older players to start and younger players to rotate in or inability to make adjustments, the defense has given up a school-record 4,498 yards, including a school-record 3,306passing yards.

UT never generated a pass rush, posting 25 sacks, among the lowest in the country, and experienced one missed tackle after another.

"When we looked back at the regular season, we felt like we didn't have that great team chemistry like we had on our past teams," said junior defensive end Brian Orakpo. "The thing I noticed was the older guys not relating to the younger guys and not coming together as one.

"The older guys probably wanted to do too much or the younger guys wanted to do too much. That doesn't work in our defense when you have to be gap sound and do your assignment and trust the teammates on the field with you."

Much was made of the coaching staff's decision to start veteran linebackers Scott Derry, Rashad Bobino and Robert Killebrew, rather than start sophomores Rod Muckelroy, Jared Norton and Sergio Kindle of Woodrow Wilson.

At midseason, Akina made an impassioned case for continuing to start the veteran linebackers even though the younger players were making some big plays and appeared to have more athletic talent despite their inexperience.

"The older ones have spilled a lot of blood for this program. And I'm one that maybe believes they should still be playing," Akina said. "There's nothing on tape that says they should not. And yet the younger ones are playing well, too, and there's nothing on tape that says they should not be playing, either. That's why you see them rolling in and out."

And while most will look to the secondary for the reason Texas has given up so many pass yards, very few have been deep passes. Most of the damage has been done with catch-and-run plays at the linebacker level.

Breaking point

Brown said his patience expired after a 38-30 loss at A&M.

"A&M was unacceptable because they came out and did something totally different than they did all year and we didn't handle it well," Brown said.

Asked after the A&M game how his defense performed this season, Akina said, "I thought it was inconsistent. The inconsistency has probably been the biggest thing with our team this year and for sure our defense."

Akina couldn't explain why his players couldn't stop Oklahoma State for two and a half quarters, then completely shut down the Cowboys over the final quarter and a half in a come-from-behind victory.

"I wish I could say the calls changed," Akina said. "But the execution was just better."

Defensive tackle Frank Okam of Lake Highlands said watching film of the defense against TCU, when UT gave up just 251 yards, compared to giving up 533 against A&M, "was like watching two different defenses."

Brown could ask Akina to stay on as co-defensive coordinator, give up play-calling and go back to coaching the secondary, where Akina has turned out six current NFL players, including two Thorpe Award winners (Michael Huff and Aaron Ross). Akina has turned down jobs coaching defensive backs in the NFL with Baltimore, Cleveland and St. Louis since he's been at Texas.

If Brown demoted Akina, Brown might be inclined to let go of Mac Duff, who has the least history with the Texas program, and bring in someone else to call plays.

For now, Brown is not saying what he'll do. But Brown made a call to arms with his team's bowl practices – more hitting, 6 a.m. workouts and punishment served by the entire team for individual mistakes. It's clear he expects to see a lot of improvement on Thursday.

GIVING GROUND
While Texas is ranked 10th nationally in run defense (99.3 ypg), the Longhorns are giving ground in several other areas this season. Here's a look:
Statistic Total Comment
Total yards allowed 4,498 Most in school history
Yards allowed per game 374.8 Most since 1997 (399.2)
Yards allowed per play 5.2 Most since 1998 (5.3)
Passing yards allowed 3,306 Most in school history
Passing yards per game 275.5 Most in school history
Turnovers forced 22 Fewest since 1998 (21)
First downs allowed 249 Most since 1996 (250)
Points per game allowed 24.6 Most since 1998 (29.6)

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/topstories/stories/122407dnspoutdefense.222b6fa.html#

stoopified
12/24/2007, 10:28 AM
When will the Horns learn that 2005 is THE EXCEPTION on Brown's resume,not the norm?The man has been a headcoach 24 years and has ONE championship season.Aside from that 1 NC and CC Brown has nada in terms of championships in his career.In addition it is not unusal for his teams to suffer humiliating blowout losses.He has done so at Appalachian State,Tulane,UNC,and UT.His answer is to fire coaches to save his own hide.

MextheBulldog
12/24/2007, 11:41 AM
My buddies and I speculated that the loss of Coach Chizik would be huge, and it appears that it was.

Mr. Akina's decision to stick with the senior LB's was a costly mistake. You play the players who get it done, regardless of who has "spilt blood for the program" or not.

Horns are fortunate - this season was very close to a 6-6 disaster. And they know it too.

TexasLidig8r
12/24/2007, 12:16 PM
Horns are fortunate - this season was very close to a 6-6 disaster. And they know it too.

And we stand on the precipice.

Next year is a watershed year for Mack. A repeat of the uninspired play, the careless mistakes, the players going through the motions, and the big money alums will start to rumble.. loudly. A repeat of the trouble with the law by players again will similarly raise issues at Belmont Hall.

Next year does not have to be a championship year for Texas (OU's returning starters including what... 4 of the 5 offensive linemen bode very well for OU)... but, expectations and demands are much greater.

sooneron
12/24/2007, 12:32 PM
Usual job by Mack, throw someone else under the bus whilst keeping G Davis around. heh. PLEASE keep it up mack. :D

Leroy Lizard
12/24/2007, 02:41 PM
Brown said he spent the last two weeks looking back over a season plagued by inconsistency, adding, "I've probably worked harder the last two weeks than I have my entire life."

I like Mack Brown, but I hate it when he says these things. What is the purpose in making such a ridiculous statement?

"The older ones have spilled a lot of blood for this program. And I'm one that maybe believes they should still be playing," Akina said. "There's nothing on tape that says they should not. And yet the younger ones are playing well, too, and there's nothing on tape that says they should not be playing, either. That's why you see them rolling in and out."

I can't see Brent Venables making such a statement. Maybe he has, but it doesn't reflect Sooner philosphy. My gut feeling is that Horns will be unimpressed with Akina's sentimentality.

TripleOption14
12/24/2007, 02:50 PM
I hope Mack Brown stays at Texass until the END OF TIME!!! He and his staff have done wonders for OU!! :D Don't let the fan base and boosters keep ya down boys. Just keep doing what you do!! :D

BASSooner
12/24/2007, 06:38 PM
heh this is pretty funny. Finding DCs every year isn't exactly the best solution.

I know what mack wants and that is IMMEDIATE impact on his program but that rarely happens nowadays. Chizik made that exception though. Akina surely did horrible his first year but comon, this was his FIRST full year of taking full responsibility of taking control of a defense. I would imagine that firing him would be on mack's mind but he would be a complete buffoon to fire him(although I wouldn't mind:D)

Desert Sapper
12/24/2007, 09:45 PM
That'll teach the top defensive players in Texas to go to UT. We were in on Kindle and some of the other guys that should be starting for the whorns right now. If they had come to OU, and had proven they were the top of the heap, they would be starting right now. Go to UT and languish, or come to OU and star. Learn well, young superstars, learn well. RJ Washington saw the light. Maybe its an indicator.

utex74
12/25/2007, 12:24 AM
My buddies and I speculated that the loss of Coach Chizik would be huge, and it appears that it was.

Mr. Akina's decision to stick with the senior LB's was a costly mistake. You play the players who get it done, regardless of who has "spilt blood for the program" or not.

Chizik's defense was about second worst, next to this year's. But correct on the linebacker play.

utex74
12/25/2007, 12:27 AM
Usual job by Mack, throw someone else under the bus whilst keeping G Davis around. heh. PLEASE keep it up mack. :D

I think Mack has fired two coaches in 9 years. The OL coach. And the OL play improved after that. And one DC, right before the 2004-5 seasons. If he has one huge weakness it is his loyalty to his assistants. But his firings have brought results.

AllAboutThe'O'
12/25/2007, 02:05 AM
Unfortunately for Texas, Vince Young isn't walking through that door.

Crucifax Autumn
12/25/2007, 05:57 AM
They oughtta be looking into hiring a new head coach...

But really...Keep Mack around - It does the Sooners good.

47straight
12/25/2007, 12:12 PM
Unfortunately for Texas, Vince Young isn't walking through that door.

Hoosier Spek.

Little Al
12/25/2007, 05:11 PM
Mack's CYA = OUr advantage next season.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/25/2007, 11:34 PM
I think adding a guy like "Mac Duff"... you know the prototypical old-retread-NFL-cloistered-out-of-touch-with-the-college-game-and-today's-18-year-olds was their biggest undoing...

And ultimately to whom should we attribute that hiring mistake...

Hmmm..... MACK!?!?? No... no, no, no,... that can't be it... It must be Duane's fault. Yeah. That's it. That's the ticket.

(I'd love to hear what you have to say about it, Lid.)

Anyway, I hope Mack does the big dump of his defensive coaching staff. Having to learn new calls and a rythm to that play-calling can't hurt us come the first week of October.

(P.S. Good luck with that, wHorns. What with your two starting DT's, Killebrew, and 3 of four starting defensive backs all "buh-bye" next year.)

TexasLidig8r
12/26/2007, 11:11 AM
I think adding a guy like "Mac Duff"... you know the prototypical old-retread-NFL-cloistered-out-of-touch-with-the-college-game-and-today's-18-year-olds was their biggest undoing...

Hmmm..... MACK!?!?? No... no, no, no,... that can't be it... It must be Duane's fault. Yeah. That's it. That's the ticket.

Actually, both Akina and Tomey highly recommended MacDuff. Tomey, Akina and MacDuff ran the Desert Swarm defenses at Arizona to great success.

In hindsight.. a very poor hire that will hopefully be rectified.

And.. it comes down on Mack. There is no doubt.

utex74
12/27/2007, 12:58 AM

Anyway, I hope Mack does the big dump of his defensive coaching staff. Having to learn new calls and a rythm to that play-calling can't hurt us come the first week of October.

(P.S. Good luck with that, wHorns. What with your two starting DT's, Killebrew, and 3 of four starting defensive backs all "buh-bye" next year.)

Your "retread' description fits Dick Tomey as well and that guy was nails. Age doesn't have a lot to do with it. But agreed, MacDuff falls on Mack's shoulders.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/27/2007, 01:14 AM
Your "retread' description fits Dick Tomey as well and that guy was nails. Age doesn't have a lot to do with it. But agreed, MacDuff falls on Mack's shoulders.

Hmmm... Age focused might be unfair... I admit.

Tomey is/was tha' "cHIT" and he, in fact, burned OUr biscuits.

But in my defense, I was not as focused on that as I was the "NFL-cloistered" part of the equation. Truly, I've gotten to believe the coaching talent these days is D....1.....A!!!!!!! Not .....n..f..l...:rolleyes:

utex74
12/27/2007, 01:29 AM
Hmmm... Age focused might be unfair... I admit.

Tomey is/was tha' "cHIT" and he, in fact, burned OUr biscuits.

But in my defense, I was not as focused on that as I was the "NFL-cloistered" part of the equation. Truly, I've gotten to believe the coaching talent these days is D....1.....A!!!!!!! Not .....n..f..l...:rolleyes:

It's actually been difficult for many coaches to transition from one to the other going either way. Two different animals, NFL and Div 1A. Different traits required. X's and O's is not enough.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/27/2007, 01:35 AM
It's actually been difficult for many coaches to transition from one to the other going either way. Two different animals, NFL and Div 1A. Different traits required. X's and O's is not enough.

Yup. Can't argue.

I hope Stoops continues to identify D1-A coaching talent.

I hope Mack continues to hire "Mac Duff".

That is to say.... "We'll see..."

Crucifax Autumn
12/27/2007, 02:11 AM
I hope you're right...and all common sense says you are. MAck seems to just hire guys that will lick his crack.