PDA

View Full Version : Comments on Stewart Mandel's Book

Stitch Face
12/23/2007, 06:35 PM
Got it as an early Christmas present. I've seen it mentioned elsewhere, but not a specific thread.

The book's not bad, but not exceptionally insightful, either. It basically explores all the same complaints that we CFB fans discuss all year long, often using the exact same phrases and conspiracy theories you see on here.

According to Stew: Think the coaches don't fill out their own ballots? Well, they don't. Think the Heisman is meaningless? It is. Think most fans want a playoff but too many vested interests prevent it? They do. He basically gives some insider confirmation/explanations for things that most people seem to think already.

One huge contradictory nuisance so far: in the chapter on the Heisman he states that "by no means should voters start basing their choices on pro potential." But then a few pages later he describes three examples of recent trophy selections which would have been more legitimate and why:

1. Michael Vick instead of Ron Dayne, because of Vick's better career in the NFL
2. Roy Williams instead of Eric Crouch, because Roy is a stud in the NFL and Crouch was a bust
3. Ben Roethlisberger instead of Jason White, because BR "lead his team to a Super Bowl victory" while "White presumably watched the game on TV"

Fraggle145
12/23/2007, 06:50 PM
Ben Roethlisberger instead of Jason White, because BR "lead his team to a Super Bowl victory" while "White presumably watched the game on TV"

F' him

:mad:

Tulsa_Fireman
12/23/2007, 06:57 PM
F' him

And the horse he rode in on.

bri
12/23/2007, 07:02 PM
HOW DARE HE MAKE A JOKE ABOUT SOMETHING THAT IS TRUE!!! ARRRR!!

Stitch Face
12/23/2007, 07:02 PM
Mandel seems impartial for the most part, but he displays the same biases and assumptions as everyone else. E.g. (as above) Heisman choices are crap if they fare poorly at the end of the season (a la JW against KSU/LSU/USC) or in the NFL, the Coaches poll is a joke, Notre Dame is a sacred cow with nothing to back it up anymore, etc.

His only real break from conventional wisdom (as far as the internet community goes) is his assertion that (most) AP voters were the only truly honorable/diligent component of the championship determination, but had to pull their participation from the BCS because the association was sullying the sports journalism profession. He admits there's no logical way to rank the teams, but feels that he and his brethren are the most honest when it comes to crowning a champ.

Stitch Face
12/23/2007, 07:09 PM

My point is that he derides the Heisman-NFL connection but then uses it alone to justify various better choices.

(Just to clarify the reason for my original post; not trying to call out your "ultimate enlightened anti-homer Sooner fan" schtick.)

Stitch Face
12/23/2007, 10:47 PM
Also of interest is the fact that the book was published this year but before, obviously, the Notre Dame carnival of 2007. Mandel gushes a bit here and there about ND ascension (circa 2006) under Weis:

"In other words, all the pieces are in place for a return to perennial national prominence, and this time, if it doesn't happen, Domers won't be able to blame the coaching. In just a short period of time, Weis has brought the program a level of credibility unlike anything Davie or Willingham ever demonstrated. His ability to lure top-rated high school quarterback Jimmy Clausen in 2007- dubbed the "LeBron James of football" by some- shows the lure his NFL background has over aspiring phenoms."

I know it was impossible for anyone to envision ND's 2007 season last year, but that paragraph made me laugh and throw up in my mouth a little.

goingoneight
12/23/2007, 10:55 PM

Please tell me you're not that ignorant; to ignore the FACT that JW's knees would have never allowed him an oppurtunity. He was undrafted because he was "injury prone," not because he wasn't a sensational talent (which he was).

Stitch Face
12/23/2007, 11:07 PM
Please tell me you're not that ignorant; to ignore the FACT that JW's knees would have never allowed him an oppurtunity. He was undrafted because he was "injury prone," not because he wasn't a sensational talent (which he was).

I'm not a vocal Jason White supporter or detractor, but it bothers me that Mandel admonishes other journalists for giving him the Heisman (because his numbers took a dive at the end of the season and he didn't make it to the NFL) after speaking highly of his college success following the ACL injuries and admitting in the book that JW secretly played injured against KSU and LSU.

It seems sometimes in the book like Mandel doesn't have much of an opinion, instead regurg'ing what is commonly said around the message boards and in letters to his weekly Mailbag.

Crucifax Autumn
12/24/2007, 05:41 AM
Does anyone really care what this guy thinks? As far as I can tell he alternates between ****ing us off and elating us. For all I care he can fellate us and go away.