PDA

View Full Version : Lendy Holmes Academically Ineligible for Fiesta Bowl?

SoonerShark
12/23/2007, 10:00 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/topstories/stories/122307dnspooudb.40d012d1.html

Oklahoma DB Holmes doubtful for Fiesta Bowl

12:39 AM CST on Sunday, December 23, 2007

By BRANDON GEORGE / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]

The father of Oklahoma junior defensive back Lendy Holmes of South Oak Cliff said Saturday that his son is academically ineligible and won't play in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl on Jan. 2 against West Virginia.

Lendy Holmes Sr. said his son's eligibility came down to one class and he "was missing one grade point." Holmes' father said the matter isn't totally resolved yet and there was still an outside chance his son could "make it right" and gain his eligibility.
Colleges

Holmes Sr. said he was unsure what his son needed to do to obtain a passing grade and figured it would be tough at this point with the semester over and the school closed for the Christmas holidays. He added that he was cancelling his reservations in Arizona for the Fiesta Bowl.

"He needed six grade points to be eligible and he had five. This can be a life lesson for everybody else. This is what happens if you don't take care of your business," Holmes Sr. said. "He's really tore up about it and hurt."

OU coach Bob Stoops couldn't be reached for comment.

Losing Holmes is a major blow to an already depleted OU secondary.

Stoops said earlier this month that Holmes would start at cornerback in the Fiesta Bowl in place of the injured Reggie Smith. Smith, the Sooners' top cornerback, suffered a fractured bone in the big toe of his right foot during OU's Big 12 Championship win against Missouri and has been ruled out for the Fiesta Bowl in Glendale, Ariz.

Holmes played at cornerback last year before moving to safety this season. Senior Darien Williams, who started at safety last year, will be filling the void left by Holmes.

But how OU fills the starting cornerback spot is uncertain. Redshirt freshman Dominique Franks is the likely choice. Franks is listed as the backup cornerback on the depth chart behind starter Marcus Walker, who lines up opposite of Smith. But outside of returning punts, Franks (5-10, 187) has seen limited playing time this season and has only three tackles.

Holmes (6-0, 193) had primarily been used in nickelback situations this season when the Sooners used a five-defensive back formation. Holmes ranked fifth on the team with 73 tackles and was tied for second with three interceptions (one returned for a touchdown).

Lendy Holmes Sr. said his son was taking it hard.

"He's let Stoops down and his teammates down. He feels terrible," Holmes said. "Here it is, you have the big stage in a bowl game and he really had the opportunity to shine. But look at the lesson he'll get out of this – that's what I'm proud of. This guy will be focused in for the spring game and for his senior year. This is not the end of the world, because it's only one game, but come game time it's really going to be tough on him."

PLaw
12/23/2007, 10:01 AM
As reported in the DMN:

Oklahoma DB Holmes doubtful for Fiesta Bowl

12:39 AM CST on Sunday, December 23, 2007
By BRANDON GEORGE / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]

The father of Oklahoma junior defensive back Lendy Holmes of South Oak Cliff said Saturday that his son is academically ineligible and won't play in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl on Jan. 2 against West Virginia.

Lendy Holmes Sr. said his son's eligibility came down to one class and he "was missing one grade point." Holmes' father said the matter isn't totally resolved yet and there was still an outside chance his son could "make it right" and gain his eligibility.

Holmes Sr. said he was unsure what his son needed to do to obtain a passing grade and figured it would be tough at this point with the semester over and the school closed for the Christmas holidays. He added that he was cancelling his reservations in Arizona for the Fiesta Bowl.

"He needed six grade points to be eligible and he had five. This can be a life lesson for everybody else. This is what happens if you don't take care of your business," Holmes Sr. said. "He's really tore up about it and hurt."

OU coach Bob Stoops couldn't be reached for comment.

Losing Holmes is a major blow to an already depleted OU secondary.

Stoops said earlier this month that Holmes would start at cornerback in the Fiesta Bowl in place of the injured Reggie Smith. Smith, the Sooners' top cornerback, suffered a fractured bone in the big toe of his right foot during OU's Big 12 Championship win against Missouri and has been ruled out for the Fiesta Bowl in Glendale, Ariz.

Holmes played at cornerback last year before moving to safety this season. Senior Darien Williams, who started at safety last year, will be filling the void left by Holmes.

But how OU fills the starting cornerback spot is uncertain. Redshirt freshman Dominique Franks is the likely choice. Franks is listed as the backup cornerback on the depth chart behind starter Marcus Walker, who lines up opposite of Smith. But outside of returning punts, Franks (5-10, 187) has seen limited playing time this season and has only three tackles.

Holmes (6-0, 193) had primarily been used in nickelback situations this season when the Sooners used a five-defensive back formation. Holmes ranked fifth on the team with 73 tackles and was tied for second with three interceptions (one returned for a touchdown).

Lendy Holmes Sr. said his son was taking it hard.

"He's let Stoops down and his teammates down. He feels terrible," Holmes said. "Here it is, you have the big stage in a bowl game and he really had the opportunity to shine. But look at the lesson he'll get out of this – that's what I'm proud of. This guy will be focused in for the spring game and for his senior year. This is not the end of the world, because it's only one game, but come game time it's really going to be tough on him."
----------------------------------------------------------------------

You would think with all of the academic resources provided by the athletic department, that this situation would never happen at OU.

BOOMER

MextheBulldog
12/23/2007, 10:03 AM
Just saw this. Our secondary is dropping like flies. Yeah yeah, go ahead and say "It's his own fault", but I feel bad for the kid.

SoonerShark
12/23/2007, 10:12 AM
We may have 275 pound DBs who were formerly DTs.

SoonerShark
12/23/2007, 10:15 AM
I wonder if an intercession class would help. I took an entire class in a week once, but that would involve not getting to practice, which would be counterproductive.

MextheBulldog
12/23/2007, 10:24 AM
Intercession class HA - sure, take something like "History of the Beatles". I am guessing its a bit late for that.

stoopified
12/23/2007, 11:52 AM
Hmm no comment from the Oklahoman or OU.

SOONER STEAKER
12/23/2007, 11:56 AM
Tough break for the Sooners. I guess Lindy doesn't travel with the team to AZ?

TripleOption14
12/23/2007, 12:11 PM
Its time for some of those young bucks to step up!! Mr. Franks and Mr. Jackson this means you.

tulsaoilerfan
12/23/2007, 12:44 PM
the same article was in today's Tulsa World; what grade do you need in a class to be eligible? Is merely passing enough?

wishbonesooner
12/23/2007, 01:10 PM
So tell me how OSU has to cancel the Spano kid's scholly because one their players flunked a class and can't graduate early, yet they don't miss playing in the Insight bowl?

TheHumanAlphabet
12/23/2007, 03:07 PM
If true, I won't condemn the kid. School can be hard and I sure prayed for "Cs" at times...I didn't have the added pressure of practice and travel, just my mom and dad.

Isn't intercession after the new year andf before the new semester?

Hope Stoops finds a way to plug the gap, WVU will be looking to make a mark against us.

Big Red Ron
12/23/2007, 03:09 PM
Good thing WVU can't pass.

Leroy Lizard
12/23/2007, 03:15 PM
So tell me how OSU has to cancel the Spano kid's scholly because one their players flunked a class and can't graduate early, yet they don't miss playing in the Insight bowl?

I'm not privy to the OSU situation, but it sounds like you are describing a situation where an athlete has scored high enough to remain academically eligible to play, but not to graduate on time with the rest of his class. Sounds plausible to me.

meoveryouxinfinity
12/23/2007, 03:22 PM
If true, I won't condemn the kid. School can be hard and I sure prayed for "Cs" at times...I didn't have the added pressure of practice and travel, just my mom and dad.

Isn't intercession after the new year andf before the new semester?

Hope Stoops finds a way to plug the gap, WVU will be looking to make a mark against us.
I've never taken a winter intercession at OU but at UCO they have some 5-7 day ones before christmas, some that split 5 days before christmas and 5 days in january, and they also have some that are just in january.

insuranceman_22
12/23/2007, 04:50 PM
This is not good.......but at hey, at least we're not Florida State fans.....

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/23/2007, 05:07 PM
We just need to score LOTS of points, or at least keep the ball a lot.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/23/2007, 07:58 PM
This is not good.......but at hey, at least we're not Florida State fans.....

True dat!

I bet they are wishing for a Bobby retirement announcement soon, hell they may even lose the heir apparent...

KantoSooner
12/23/2007, 08:19 PM
I am wondering what the athletic department was doing. It may not be Stoops' job to monitor his players minute by minute, but somebody in a tutoring role should be watching grades throughout the year and should intervene in the event any athlete starts to slide into danger territory.
In addition to saving everyone from situations like this, a strong and active tutoring department can be an excellent recruiting tool. If not with the athletes themselves, then with the parents.
In the 1980's, Nebraska had such a good tutoring department that part of the campus visit was devoted to introducing the staff to recruits. It's not that hard to do, you just need to be serious about it. And OU certainly has the resources.
It is really inexcusable that this was allowed to happen.

SoonerShark
12/23/2007, 08:42 PM
Intercession class HA - sure, take something like "History of the Beatles". I am guessing its a bit late for that.

Actually the class offered is "History of R. Kelly," which was a joint offering between the University of Oklahoma's Fine Arts Department and UCO's Criminal Justice department.

Leroy Lizard
12/23/2007, 08:51 PM
I am wondering what the athletic department was doing. It may not be Stoops' job to monitor his players minute by minute, but somebody in a tutoring role should be watching grades throughout the year and should intervene in the event any athlete starts to slide into danger territory.

Parents often have a problem keeping their own kids from doing poorly in school. What chance does an AD tutor have?

It is really inexcusable that this was allowed to happen.

Ultimately, the athlete is responsible. You can't take the exams for him.

I don't think the Athletic Department is to blame. I am sure they provide plenty of tutoring for those that need it. Doesn't guarantee success, though.

SbOrOiNaEnR
12/23/2007, 09:16 PM

Hey, I'm taking that Beatles class in the spring...and it's a 4000-level honors class. Don't hate. :D

KantoSooner
12/23/2007, 09:27 PM
Parents often have a problem keeping their own kids from doing poorly in school. What chance does an AD tutor have?

Ultimately, the athlete is responsible. You can't take the exams for him.

I don't think the Athletic Department is to blame. I am sure they provide plenty of tutoring for those that need it. Doesn't guarantee success, though.

A tutor has or can easily be granted access to grades on a daily basis. You can make it a condition of playing on the team. This case doesn't sound like a grade issue, more like a failure to complete work. And THAT is very easy to solve; you just can't do it without at least a little time.

Leroy Lizard
12/23/2007, 10:38 PM
I am sure the Athletic Department does all that it can within NCAA rules. Some players will always slip through the cracks.

Crucifax Autumn
12/24/2007, 05:24 AM
As long as our run defense is all eligible I'm not too worried...But I do hope Lendy can somehow manage to get his ****e together and play. He deserves it after the improvements he's made this season.

zeke
12/26/2007, 12:37 PM
Anything new about this?

fadada1
12/26/2007, 12:45 PM
I am sure the Athletic Department does all that it can within NCAA rules. Some players will always slip through the cracks.
dexter manley slipped through the grand canyon.

CatfishSooner
12/26/2007, 04:45 PM
dexter manley slipped through the grand canyon.

:D

Little Al
12/26/2007, 05:17 PM
At least more NCAA athletes are able to read when they graduate. :rolleyes:

TXBOOMER
12/26/2007, 06:13 PM
Did Lendy file his papers for the NFL? Hopefully it isn't too late for him to do so if he didn't. He will probably grade out well at the combine (evidently much better than his classes). If this is true his trust will be gone with Stoops. This puts us in a bad situation with Reggie already out.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/26/2007, 06:24 PM
dexter manley slipped through the grand canyon.He wore a knowledge-proof vest to class(when he attended them) at aggy.

goingoneight
12/26/2007, 08:11 PM
For all the whiny folks blaming the athletic department, think again. The athletic department would be at fault if he played while ineligible. The athletic department would be at fault if they were responsible for his schoolwork. There's a reason why LH, Sr. says he's "down on himself." He'd be infuriated with the AD if it was anyone's fault but his own.
Good thing is, you can get your act together and correct this problem easily, you just miss a little time on the field. Another reason why kids don't typically like the idea of staying for a senior year if they think the NFL will take them.

KantoSooner
12/26/2007, 08:27 PM
If it's whiny to expect a program to have some vague inkling that a key player might not be eligible to play, then I'm guilty.

I'll also plead guilty to seeing no reason why OU has not or should not put extra emphasis on student athlete academic performance and assistance. It's cheap in dollars, it saves time and embarrassment and is a potential recruiting tool that would appeal to precisely the type of stable, serious players we want and need.

OU is a school on the rise academically as well as a perennial power athletically. A strong commitment to making sure our guys (and ladies) get all the support they can absorb would be a wonderful symbol of what OU is about. We all know that some athletes did not get the preparation they should have in high school. I hope we are also all in the camp of those who believe that virtually no one was born stupid.

Ah well. I've had my rant. Sorry if I offended with my whining. I agree with you, GOE, about 99% of the time. I just feel strongly about this issue.

thesnowbishop
12/26/2007, 11:40 PM
If it's whiny to expect a program to have some vague inkling that a key player might not be eligible to play, then I'm guilty.

I'll also plead guilty to seeing no reason why OU has not or should not put extra emphasis on student athlete academic performance and assistance. It's cheap in dollars, it saves time and embarrassment and is a potential recruiting tool that would appeal to precisely the type of stable, serious players we want and need.

OU is a school on the rise academically as well as a perennial power athletically. A strong commitment to making sure our guys (and ladies) get all the support they can absorb would be a wonderful symbol of what OU is about. We all know that some athletes did not get the preparation they should have in high school. I hope we are also all in the camp of those who believe that virtually no one was born stupid.

Ah well. I've had my rant. Sorry if I offended with my whining. I agree with you, GOE, about 99% of the time. I just feel strongly about this issue.

Check out the soonersports.com page on the Prentice Gautt center and the McClendon center. This year someone posted a link to several vignette videos about these facilities, including selections about the math lab, foreign language lab, laptop checkout, computer lab, tutors, psyche counselors, writing lab, media relations prep, mandatory hours for freshmen, etc. Our student athletes have great resources at their fingertips, but sometimes bad things happen to good programs and good people. I'm sure Lendy is torn up about the situation, and I'm sure the academic resource folks aren't merely shrugging their shoulders--they're wondering how to be more proactive; just not as proactive as FSU.

sooner59
12/27/2007, 12:22 AM
Hey, I'm taking that Beatles class in the spring...and it's a 4000-level honors class. Don't hate. :D

My buddy took that class. He is a big Beatles fan. He said it was sweet.

Crucifax Autumn
12/27/2007, 03:36 AM
I'd take that class...My mom would love playing some beatles trivia after that!

Leroy Lizard
12/27/2007, 08:06 AM
Regardless of the support, getting good grades still takes effort. Not everyone is willing or able to expend the effort when it is needed.

Theskipster
12/27/2007, 08:39 AM
Anything new about this?

It's official.

Oklahoma football coach Bob Stoops confirmed Wednesday night that junior defensive back Lendy Holmes of South Oak Cliff didn’t make the trip and won’t play in the Fiesta Bowl against West Virginia on Jan. 2.

“He won’t be here,” Stoops said during the Sooners’ arrival press conference at Phoenix’s Sky Harbor Airport. “I thought that was talked about a couple days ago.”

Stoops said redshirt freshman Dominique Franks or sophomore Brian Jackson of DeSoto would start at cornerback in place of Holmes.

“We’ll see how those guys work through the week,” Stoops said. “We have a lot of confidence in both of them.”

zeke
12/27/2007, 08:52 AM
Thanks Skipster

OUGuf
12/27/2007, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the update

sooneron
12/27/2007, 03:14 PM
Damn, that sucks. Thank God, wvu doesn't air it out a lot. [knocks wood]

It sounds like Lendy just kind of screwed the pooch on this. I hope he gets it together in the semester ahead of him.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/27/2007, 04:04 PM
I'll also plead guilty to seeing no reason why OU has not or should not put extra emphasis on student athlete academic performance and assistance....

...Ah well. I've had my rant....

The only problem with the rant is that OU does put extra emphasis on student athlete academic performance and assistance. And I'll bet you a dime to a dozen the coaching staff was well aware of Lendy's shortcomings and were on his butt long before the news broke. (Sidebar: What the hell is a DMN reporter doing sniffing around OU players' parents? F'in' muckrakers! I hate the damn lot of them!)

I think we're all getting our undies in too much of a bunch over this. The real travesty would be if he were academically ineligible and it wasn't "discovered" until after the game and he was allowed to play. And that clearly isn't happening here.

We should be pleased that everything is being done by the book by all appearances.

KantoSooner
12/28/2007, 02:19 AM
I think we're all getting our undies in too much of a bunch over this.

Yup. I'll quit posting if you will....One, two, three......

Crucifax Autumn
12/28/2007, 02:49 AM