PDA

View Full Version : Question on burning DVD's

JPNSKER
12/22/2007, 10:54 PM
Any of you burn DVD movies from your PC?

I purchased Sony DVD+R discs, but all I'm getting is the PC telling me it can't write to this disc. Anyone familiar with this? Do I have the wrong discs?

TIA

Widescreen
12/22/2007, 11:25 PM
I do this all the time.

1) Are you sure you have a DVD+R burner (as opposed to a DVD-R burner)?
2) What software are you using to burn the disc?

JPNSKER
12/22/2007, 11:32 PM
I'm using a PC at work, but the front of the drive has this:

RW
DVD+R DL

I had previously tried using the Nero software that came with the system, but that's a nightmare to figure out! Well, for me any way...:O

So I downloaded the software from burnmyfiles.com

Widescreen
12/23/2007, 02:28 AM
1) Bad drive (for DVD burning anyway)
2) Incompatible software
3) Bad discs

Not sure what else it could be.

Oh yeah.

4) User error.

;)

SicEmBaylor
12/23/2007, 03:03 AM
Well, the first thing you have to do is rip the DVD movie to your hard drive using something like DVDShrink (disclaimer: This is technically illegal). Then you use a program like Nero to burn the disk. Make sure it's not a RW disk.

YWIA

OUinFLA
12/23/2007, 08:38 AM
You do this at work?
:eek:

Imagine that!
:D

JPNSKER
12/23/2007, 10:10 PM
1) Bad drive (for DVD burning anyway)
2) Incompatible software
3) Bad discs

Not sure what else it could be.

Oh yeah.

4) User error.

;)

I'm going to pick up a new drive tomorrow for my home computer. What would you suggest getting? I'm running a DELL 4600 Dimension series.

I also forgot to mention... These are videos I've made with Windows Movie Maker. These are not movies I've downloaded. They consist of pic slide shows, as well as videos. I want to burn them for family members to watch on DVD players.....

Now, before anyone asks to see'em, they are of a family nature!:D

JPNSKER
12/23/2007, 10:11 PM
You do this at work?
:eek:

Imagine that!
:D

heh. The only reason I was down there, was due to not having a DVD burner on my home syste & I'm trying to get these done before Christmas...;)

soonerinabilene
12/23/2007, 11:20 PM
I'm going to pick up a new drive tomorrow for my home computer. What would you suggest getting? I'm running a DELL 4600 Dimension series.

I also forgot to mention... These are videos I've made with Windows Movie Maker. These are not movies I've downloaded. They consist of pic slide shows, as well as videos. I want to burn them for family members to watch on DVD players.....

Now, before anyone asks to see'em, they are of a family nature!:D

certain programs will only burn certain types of files. My burn program will burn avi, mpeg, and Windows Media clips into a dvd format. My friends program will only burn a dvd if it is already in dvd format.

soonerboomer93
12/23/2007, 11:29 PM
N is for knowledge

oh and dvd-r are generally more compatable with dvd players if I recall correctly