PDA

View Full Version : Why I hate the NCAA Episode 6,357,123

JohnnyMack
12/22/2007, 05:26 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3165853

Ohio State self reports NCAA violation after Tressel took players to Final Four

ESPN.com news services

Updated: December 22, 2007, 10:01 AM ET

Ohio State football coach Jim Tressel wanted to reward two of his players for being named Academic All-Americans. Unfortunately for Tressel, his actions resulted in reporting a secondary violation to the NCAA, according to a published report.

Receiver Anthony Gonzalez and fullback Stan White Jr. joined Tressel on a private jet to see the Buckeyes' men's basketball team play in the Final Four earlier this year, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported.

Tressel reportedly believed the act was okay since both players had already used up all their eligibility, signed with an agent and were no longer considered student-athletes by the school.

The paper said Ohio State compliance director Doug Archie spotted White and Gonzalez sitting with Tressel. The school told the NCAA about the incident and said in its report that the trip was used to "cultivate the relationship of future and current donors."

Come the **** on. This is stupid.

olevetonahill
12/22/2007, 05:59 PM
What The Boz Said :pop:

Leroy Lizard
12/22/2007, 07:28 PM
I hate the NCAA because absolutely nothing will be done in this case because tOSU is a Big-10 school.

Collier11
12/22/2007, 07:49 PM
the fact of the matter is, nothing should be done. THis is retarded on so many levels as are many NCAA rules, they are outdated and make no sense at all!

jccouger
12/22/2007, 08:03 PM
I hate the NCAA because absolutely nothing will be done in this case because tOSU is a Big-10 school.

Why should something be done? I don't know why what they did was wrong.

tulsaoilerfan
12/22/2007, 08:49 PM
Why should something be done? I don't know why what they did was wrong.
Me neither; both players were done with their college ball so i see absolutely nothing wrong here; the NCAA, as usual, is retarded

Crucifax Autumn
12/22/2007, 08:49 PM
Because it's in the rules. It's stupid what they did to us too, but they did it because it's the rules. If they do nothing to tOSU then THAT is an injustice.

If they want to change the rules, fine. But until then, the rules have to be enforced.

Collier11
12/22/2007, 09:32 PM
Because it's in the rules. It's stupid what they did to us too, but they did it because it's the rules. If they do nothing to tOSU then THAT is an injustice.

If they want to change the rules, fine. But until then, the rules have to be enforced.

Personally, im not arguing for there to be no punishment because obviously it is a rule, but sometimes the NCAA needs to realize the spirt of the rule and if that cant be done consistently, then some rules need to go!

OUFan22
12/22/2007, 09:36 PM
Personally, im not arguing for there to be no punishment because obviously it is a rule, but sometimes the NCAA needs to realize the spirt of the rule and if that cant be done consistently, then some rules need to go!
Well, they are still on a "football scholarship"! That should put it in a little more context. It is the rule and it should be followed. After our incident fully played out, I am for the rules being applied to everyone no matter how miniscule the rule is.

JohnnyMack
12/22/2007, 11:00 PM
Anyone trying to draw a parallel between what Bomar and Co. did and what Tressel did isn't really clear on what it is happened in either case, apparently.

snp
12/22/2007, 11:56 PM
It's only a secondary violation.

Leroy Lizard
12/23/2007, 02:17 AM
1. If you allow it for Academic All-Americans, you have to allow it for All-Conference players.

2. If yo allow it for All-Conference players, you have to allow it for "pretty good players."

3. If you allow it for "pretty good players," then coaches will begin using gifts as a recruiting enticement. "Come here to play, and we will set you up real good when your eligibility is used up."

Crucifax Autumn
12/23/2007, 05:55 AM

I agree...Some rules need to be changed, but until they are they need to be followed. If there's gonna be some "spirit of the rule" clause then we all know that means that the tOSUs and SUCs of the world will always get the benefit of the clause while some other teams will always get no-lubed into vacating wins or some similar fate.

And regardless of the type of violation in the case of tOSU vs OU, in the case of tOSU the coah was directly involved. In the case of the Idiot, Stoops didn't know and when he found out they self-reported. I admire that Tressel & company did too, but he was pesonally involved while the Idiot and crew were doing it behind Stoops' back.

And don't keep feeding us the story that their eligibility is up. If the NCAA buys this one then they have to look the other way if billion star recruits are told they'll get 1 million bucks immediately after their last game and then what happens? Oh yeah...NFL junior!

batonrougesooner
12/23/2007, 07:11 AM
everything isn't a conspiracy against OU.

SoonerShark
12/23/2007, 09:03 AM
It may get to the point where Barry Switzer cannot pay for the lunch tab if he and Joe Washington have lunch. One has not coached here in nearly two decades and the other used up his eligibility three plus decades ago. But you can never be too careful. Especially since Barry got us penalized for offering to pay and otherwise illegally recruiting Hart Sleaze Dykes, a wide receiver, for wishbone era Oklahoma Sooner football. The preceding sentence was an unpaid public service announcement from "The 1985 Sooners Needed a Wide Receiver Like a Fish Needs a Bicycle Society."

PLaw
12/23/2007, 09:50 AM
the fact of the matter is, nothing should be done. THis is retarded on so many levels as are many NCAA rules, they are outdated and make no sense at all!

Hey, how about a NEW OU tradition - a senior trip for all football players completing their degree or eligibility! Maybe a trip to the Super Bowl, Final Four, or something else.

BOOMER

MextheBulldog
12/23/2007, 10:20 AM
Gimme a break. So at what point does the NCAA consider a former student-athlete, well, a "former student-athlete"?

If Bob were to give AD a plane ride to the Fiesta Bowl this year, is that a secondary violation since he used to be a student-athlete?

Leroy Lizard
12/23/2007, 12:40 PM
If Bob were to give AD a plane ride to the Fiesta Bowl this year, is that a secondary violation since he used to be a student-athlete?

The date at which an athlete is no longer considered under scholarship is well-defined. There is no excuse for Tressel's actions. I don't think it constitutes cheating, but it is a violation and he had to have known better.

Who paid for the game tickets? That would be something else look into.

Sorry, but I side with the NCAA on this if they decide to punish the school in some way. Obviously, this type of rules violation doesn't warrant a severe punishment, but tOSU should not be allowed to get away with this completely. If they do, then that just strengthens my view that the NCAAA plays favorites.

Hey, how about a NEW OU tradition - a senior trip for all football players completing their degree or eligibility!

How about a trip for the entire team for playing a good season? Oh, that's right. They're called "bowl games."

Teams are already rewarded for their efforts. There is no reason to give players free rides to Final Fours and what-not.

JohnnyMack
12/23/2007, 07:41 PM
The date at which an athlete is no longer considered under scholarship is well-defined. There is no excuse for Tressel's actions. I don't think it constitutes cheating, but it is a violation and he had to have known better.

Who paid for the game tickets? That would be something else look into.

If these guys signed with agents and were no longer active students at tOSU I wonder if the NCAA truly has any reach here. It seems like very far-reaching meddling by the NCAA. I mean if they weren't accepting scholarship money from tOSU, weren't enrolled in any classes and weren't a part of the football program in any way, then who cares? Other than bureaucrats of course.

Stitch Face
12/23/2007, 07:48 PM

Why would Stoops buy AD a plane ticket? If I were Bob I'd be asking Adrian where my tickets and plane rides were.

Crucifax Autumn
12/24/2007, 05:27 AM
everything isn't a conspiracy against OU.

This is very true...the conspiracy is against a bunch of schools and for a select few. It's not that they screw OU all the time, it's that they grant a few of their handjob hunnies a free pass so many times, while severely punishing everyone else.