PDA

View Full Version : Putting the dog down

SOONER STEAKER
12/22/2007, 12:10 AM
My little niece called me tonight in tears because her dog is sick. The dog's name is Murphy, a black lab who has slept at the edge of her bed for 15 years.

Seems that in the last 2 weeks, Murphy, has lost the ability to use his hind legs. The VET says it's a disease that runs in lab's and nothing can be done. The dog is to big for one of those doggy strollers.

Kinda sucks that my nieces Chistmas will have a sadness to it this year.

Rogue
12/22/2007, 12:54 AM
Yup, it sucks. We had to put down our beloved German Shepherd awhile back...same deal just bad nerve damage in the hips and he couldn't get up or do anything anymore. Cried my eyes out. Anyone who thinks losing a pooch is trivial just ain't been loved by a great dog yet.

MamaMia
12/22/2007, 12:59 AM
This kind of news just breaks my heart. A friends passing is always so difficult to bear but can be even harder during a holiday.

You might consider giving her a copy of the Rainbow Bridge poem. That, a prayer and a hug is just about all you can do. I will pray for your niece and her friend. :(

SOONER STEAKER
12/22/2007, 12:24 PM
Murphy was put down this morning. My sisters family is devestated, I know words won't be able to console there loss though.

fadada1
12/22/2007, 12:49 PM
very sad. i hope they rest better knowing they gave him a good life and a loving home.

birddog
12/22/2007, 12:55 PM
i had to put down my 13 year old black lab (sweetest old lady in the world). i still remember when my girlfriend got her for me when i was going to osu in 1995.

such great memories. i was holding her in my arms when she took her last breath.

hardest thing i've ever done, although i know there are much harder things to come.:(

Howzit
12/22/2007, 04:55 PM
I was at the vet this morning with my lab, Ruby, and there was a family that was putting there dog down. It had quit eating and tests showed it was riddled with cancer. The 2 kids, probably about 8 to 10, were boo hooing, as were the parents. So sad.

One of the ladies that worked there said that for some reason there is a spike in dogs being put down this time of year, just prior to Christmas. What terrible timing.

bigbirdogbbq, Ruby is going to be 11 in 2008, I hate thinking about your story. She's been such a sweetheart.

birddog
12/22/2007, 08:58 PM
it sucks. i cooked her chicken every night and she never turned it down.

one day she just couldn't get up on her own and i had to carry her outside. when i cooked the chicken that night, she didn't even lift her head off the ground.

30 minutes later i was at the vet putting my dog to sleep.

it's strange how sad i was when i made the decision to do it. then after she stopped breathing i told her i loved her and felt good about the life i gave her (swimming everyday, walks etc.).

it's a tough thing to do but if you're dog is suffering, it's the right thing to do.

man, i guess it still bothers me to think about it. it was only 6 months ago.:(

rufnek05
12/22/2007, 09:07 PM
Thats always rough. I had to put my 12 year old boxer down 20 minutes before I got on the bus on senior night my senior year of high school. And we lost the game. it sucked. but I did get simpathy secks that night.

SOONER STEAKER
12/22/2007, 09:34 PM
Come to find out, Murphy was riddled with cancer.

Howzit, do you live in McKinney, TX?

olevetonahill
12/22/2007, 09:49 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
I hate losing a Friend

Sooner Schemer
12/22/2007, 11:25 PM
Sorry to hear about your news. It's always tough to say goodbye to a loving pet. You'll find some good poems at this link (http://www.petloss.com/poems/poems.htm), but I'm sure it will be small consolation.

Fraggle145
12/23/2007, 12:08 AM
:(

Howzit
12/23/2007, 10:39 AM
Come to find out, Murphy was riddled with cancer.

Howzit, do you live in McKinney, TX?

Flower Mound.

soonernation
12/23/2007, 11:17 AM
This kind of news just breaks my heart. A friends passing is always so difficult to bear but can be even harder during a holiday.

You might consider giving her a copy of the Rainbow Bridge poem. That, a prayer and a hug is just about all you can do. I will pray for your niece and her friend. :(

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

SOONER STEAKER
12/23/2007, 10:48 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I am the niece and I loved that dog so much it ached. She was my best friend. It was hard taking her to the vet and watching the guy carrying her away. It was so hard not to cry. After reading all these responses, I know how blessed I was to have had a dog like Murphy. Even though she hated to swim, I'd throw her in the water anyway. I have a 8 month old yellow lab named Sadie. My hope is, she will almost as good as Murphy was. When Murphy was alive, both would fight over who got to sleep on my bed. It was funny, cause Murphy would always win. She was the best thing that ever happened to me. I know why we love animals so much. It's because they love us no matter what we do. They don't judge us, they love us. That's why dogs are a man's best friend. They are loyal and trustworthy. Have a wonderful holiday. Sorry, just trying to be politically correct.