PDA

View Full Version : Salvation Army Angel Trees

Petro-Sooner
12/21/2007, 11:51 PM
Have any of you given to a kid on such trees? Do you know if those kids get those actual gifts? We had a tree put up in our office and had a coworker participate but later asked me if I thought that particular kid actually got those gifts. I sure hope so. If so, I want to pick a kid next year!!!

Mongo
12/22/2007, 12:00 AM
I will donate to SA when ever I see them around ringing their bells

but I always donate $ and toys to Toy for Tots. I know the USMC will get them toys out responsibly

Petro-Sooner
12/22/2007, 12:10 AM
I want to give but have reservation about who I give to. I'd just wish there was some reassurance that the kid that wants this that and the other is getting those things.

anyway........

Preservation Parcels
12/22/2007, 12:12 AM
People in our church participate. The church hosts a party where they present the gifts directly to the children involved and have a party/dinner at the same time. It's been a great success for years.

The Better Business Bureau rates charitable organizations.
http://www.give.org/reports/report.aspx?ID=398&ReportType=1

Good for you for your willingness to be generous.

Blue
12/22/2007, 12:45 AM
We do it at our apartment complex. I got my kid some clothes, some Duwayne Wade shoes and some ps2 games (madden, NBA,sonic).

I too was wondering if they gave it directly to the kid. I'd hate for mom to take it all back. I figure the Salvation Army has it covered though.

Viking Kitten
12/22/2007, 05:54 AM
I'm confident the gift goes to the intended recipient. I've actually been present while some of the gifts were being distributed to the parents. In fact, I've seen moms break down in tears when they saw their children's presents.

The SA has dedicated volunteers and an efficient distribution system in place. I've purchased a gift every year since 1995, volunteered during distribution days a couple years when I had days off the week before Christmas (which is actually one of the most fun volunteer opportunities you'll ever get) and this year I covered it as a reporter too.

My angel this year was a four-year-old names Jorge. I got him a hoodie, some books and some Spiderman toys. Honestly, I have as much fun each year shopping for my SA gift as I do shopping for my own kids' gifts.

Petro-Sooner
12/22/2007, 09:11 AM
I thought it would be fun as well. I dont have many to buy for and dont have kids of my own so I thought it would be fun to get a kid some toys that I might have liked when I was a kid. Next year though.

Mjcpr
12/22/2007, 11:13 AM
I'm confident the gift goes to the intended recipient. I've actually been present while some of the gifts were being distributed to the parents. In fact, I've seen moms break down in tears when they saw their children's presents.

The SA has dedicated volunteers and an efficient distribution system in place. I've purchased a gift every year since 1995, volunteered during distribution days a couple years when I had days off the week before Christmas (which is actually one of the most fun volunteer opportunities you'll ever get) and this year I covered it as a reporter too.

My angel this year was a four-year-old names Jorge. I got him a hoodie, some books and some Spiderman toys. Honestly, I have as much fun each year shopping for my SA gift as I do shopping for my own kids' gifts.
Are you Lori Fulbreast? Fulbright?