PDA

View Full Version : FYI HDTV Info

85Sooner
12/21/2007, 08:45 PM
Sony announced this week that they will be ceasing the manufacturing of rear projection SXRD televisions. All of them.

Other companies cannot be too far behind IMO. Price margins have fallen so much that it is simply not worth the effort.

What it means? Flat panels will be the majority if not all that is available in the HDTV market. Remember, if you want one of the larger sizes (55" or up)

Your choices are going to be extremely limited and the prices will not be low.

So if you were planning on buying one. Grab it while you can.
Merry Christmas to all.

Widescreen
12/22/2007, 12:32 AM
Front projectors forever.

Harry Beanbag
12/22/2007, 10:21 AM
That kinda sucks.

SoonerStud615
12/22/2007, 12:27 PM
We went to get a nice big HiDef Christmas present a couple weeks ago, and were considering rear-projection, but the guy at Weather's TV warned us of that, so we came home with a smokin hawt 40" Sony Bravia LCD instead. No loss there.

85Sooner
12/22/2007, 07:22 PM
We went to get a nice big HiDef Christmas present a couple weeks ago, and were considering rear-projection, but the guy at Weather's TV warned us of that, so we came home with a smokin hawt 40" Sony Bravia LCD instead. No loss there.

sweet deal

IronSooner
12/22/2007, 09:39 PM
Are they going to start implementing picture-in-picture or (like my rear-projector LCD has) side-by-side in the flat-panels? I was an inch away from buying a flat-panel Sharp, but none of theirs had PIP. I don't really understand why not, but that's a deal breaker for me. Watching 2 games at once is glorious.

85Sooner
12/23/2007, 09:32 AM
Are they going to start implementing picture-in-picture or (like my rear-projector LCD has) side-by-side in the flat-panels? I was an inch away from buying a flat-panel Sharp, but none of theirs had PIP. I don't really understand why not, but that's a deal breaker for me. Watching 2 games at once is glorious.

Only on the upper end ones. PIP as we know it will be gone in two years anyway.

OUinFLA
12/23/2007, 02:59 PM
Only on the upper end ones. PIP as we know it will be gone in two years anyway.

Why?
That would just pizz me off as I just bought a Vario HD because it had pip.
Ive been enjoying watching two games at a time this year :confused:

Frozen Sooner
12/23/2007, 03:01 PM
Why?
That would just pizz me off as I just bought a Vario HD because it had pip.
Ive been enjoying watching two games at a time this year :confused:

It's not cost-effective. It's costly to implement and it's not something that most consumers seem to want as much as you do.

Newbomb Turk
12/23/2007, 04:18 PM
It's not cost-effective. It's costly to implement and it's not something that most consumers seem to want as much as you do.

I seemed to think I needed a two tuner PIP in my Sony tube TV when I bought it about 10 years ago, but I rarely use it.

Frozen Sooner
12/23/2007, 04:21 PM
Exactly. It's just not a feature that people are asking for anymore. At least, that's what the manufacturer's are saying. Cost competition on displays is so cutthroat that they just can't afford to throw in stuff that people aren't asking for.

Plus, it's getting to the point now where people are just buying two TVs for their living room if they're the kind of person who uses PiP extensively. :D I'm sure that's the solution that manufacturers would prefer anyhow.

Widescreen
12/23/2007, 04:23 PM
My satellite receiver does PIP anyway so whether or not the TV supports it is irrelevant to me.

85Sooner
12/23/2007, 04:42 PM
Exactly. It's just not a feature that people are asking for anymore. At least, that's what the manufacturer's are saying. Cost competition on displays is so cutthroat that they just can't afford to throw in stuff that people aren't asking for.

Plus, it's getting to the point now where people are just buying two TVs for their living room if they're the kind of person who uses PiP extensively. :D I'm sure that's the solution that manufacturers would prefer anyhow.

Boy you can say that again. Whew!

tbl
12/23/2007, 11:14 PM
My satellite receiver does PIP anyway so whether or not the TV supports it is irrelevant to me.
Exactly. The Dish HD service is the bee's knee's... and I watch it on my Sony SXRD 50" rear projection LCD TV that is also the bee's knee's.

JohnnyMack
12/23/2007, 11:54 PM
You can have my DLP when you pry it from my cold dead....wait....what's that? A sale on Bravias? I'm in!