PDA

View Full Version : Who is OU playing in 2008 in OOC play?

Mac94
12/21/2007, 05:11 PM
Looking at the schedules for next year on the "national champs" early bird preview OU still has one or two slots to fill. Right now it's showing Cincinnati on the 6th and at Washington on the 13th. It indicates that OU will also play TCU again. Does anyone have more info about this? Are the Cinci and UofW dates pretty well locked down? Is TCU a go and any idea when and is it in Norman or Fort Worth? Any word / rumor on a 4th OOC game?

colleyvillesooner
12/21/2007, 05:49 PM
http://www.soonerstats.com/football/seasons/schedule.cfm?seasonid=2008

9/6 Cincinnati

9/13 at Washington

9/20 - TBA

9/27 - TCU (3)

Lott's Bandana
12/21/2007, 06:11 PM
UDub requested and got teh 9/20 game moved to 9/13...better damn well be fuh surh nao!

stoops the eternal pimp
12/21/2007, 06:16 PM
Joe C is still looking for a number 4 and its most likely gonna be a div 2

silverwheels
12/21/2007, 06:40 PM
Joe C is still looking for a number 4 and its most likely gonna be a div 2

That's an enormous step down from even Div. 1-AA. ;)

Socrefbek
12/21/2007, 06:59 PM
We would be better off not playing anyone than scheduling a Div I AA opponent. It kills your strength of schedule and gives an opening to the Haters to whine about a weak schedule.

Nothing wrong with Washington, Cincinnati and TCU. Play 8 conference games, Big XII CG and then on to the NC game.

BOOMER SOONER!

silverwheels
12/21/2007, 07:02 PM
Yeah, but another home game = more money. They'll schedule a high school team if they have to.

garland sooner
12/21/2007, 07:46 PM
let's play hawaii. they always have trouble securing OOC games. anyone but a div 1AA

Indy Sooner
12/21/2007, 07:57 PM
let's play hawaii. they always have trouble securing OOC games. anyone but a div 1AA

Great idea, however it appears Florida, Cincy, and a few others beat OU to the punch.

redpurple
12/21/2007, 08:11 PM
TCU could be tough.

Fraggle145
12/21/2007, 08:59 PM
We would be better off not playing anyone than scheduling a Div I AA opponent. It kills your strength of schedule and gives an opening to the Haters to whine about a weak schedule.

Nothing wrong with Washington, Cincinnati and TCU. Play 8 conference games, Big XII CG and then on to the NC game.

BOOMER SOONER!

actually the d-IAA games dont count against you as much as the bad D-IA teams in strength of schedule, since it goes by win/loss. see ohio st vs our strength of schedule this year.

FriscoSooner
12/21/2007, 09:12 PM
We need Notre Dame at home - we owe them, they owe us the visit.

Salt City Sooner
12/21/2007, 09:23 PM
They don't owe us anything. '99 was a one game set w/ an agreement for a future home/home which is set for '12 & '13. OU got $1 million for their trouble in '99.

KingDavid
12/21/2007, 11:08 PM
My pride says find a Div I. My brain says schedule a patsy because we're going to be loaded next year and that game is not going to make one damn bit of difference.

If we beat Texas (and we'll be favored by a touchdown, minimum), we'll pay for the championship even if we lose one game somewhere else, as long as it's not in the Big XII championship.

Mark that down.

bri
12/22/2007, 12:04 AM

Um, everyone has to play 12 games now.

Thanks for stopping by.

goingoneight
12/22/2007, 02:21 AM
Let me be the first of many to nominate Boise State for TBA.

I win.

Crucifax Autumn
12/22/2007, 05:20 AM
That would be great! It all depends on who else is off that weekend though.

Salt City Sooner
12/22/2007, 09:20 PM
Castiglione's already offered them a 2 for 1 & they turned it down.

chriscappel
12/22/2007, 09:24 PM
Let's get BAMA... We need to play them again

MextheBulldog
12/22/2007, 11:47 PM
Notre Dame still owes us a home game, no?

sooneron
12/22/2007, 11:53 PM
N. Illinois or someone like that.

drbrizzle
12/22/2007, 11:54 PM

Link?

Fraggle145
12/22/2007, 11:56 PM
Notre Dame still owes us a home game, no?

no. that was a one game contract and they had the option to pick up a second. They chose not to, surprise :rolleyes: . We have a one to one contract with them coming up soon.

Fraggle145
12/22/2007, 11:57 PM
Appalachian St. :P

Salt City Sooner
12/23/2007, 12:09 AM
Link?
I saw it in either the Oklahoman or Tulsa World, can't remember which. It may still be there if you feel like looking deep enough in the archives. IIRC, it was only a month or 2 after the Fiesta Bowl when it came out.

drbrizzle
12/23/2007, 12:23 AM
I saw it in either the Oklahoman or Tulsa World, can't remember which. It may still be there if you feel like looking deep enough in the archives. IIRC, it was only a month or 2 after the Fiesta Bowl when it came out.

Makes sense they would turn it down AFTER the Fiesta. They don't want to ever play us again. They want to live the fairytale forever of how they beat the Sooners. Plus they don't want to lose their status as having the best home record in recent history. Who is in 2nd? Us of course. The Sooners would walk in and own the Smurf turf.

HSC-Sooner
12/23/2007, 03:18 AM
I'd say we schedule Florida Atlantic University so we can stomp Schnellybooger's beloved team into the ground :D

Socrefbek
12/23/2007, 11:05 AM
Um, everyone has to play 12 games now.

Thanks for stopping by.

So whats your point? :P

Kray
12/23/2007, 05:48 PM
I kinda like the concept OSU and KSU were considering...a 1-1 with each other for the two years they don't normally play. It would probably be better than a Div2, and we could get a North team to play along. What I read was that the game would not be considered a conference game. Brings in a Div1 opponent, and does not harm schedule strength.

Scott D
12/23/2007, 05:59 PM
I kinda like the concept OSU and KSU were considering...a 1-1 with each other for the two years they don't normally play. It would probably be better than a Div2, and we could get a North team to play along. What I read was that the game would not be considered a conference game. Brings in a Div1 opponent, and does not harm schedule strength.

that was the argument the Pac-10 was going to be using in regards to their teams when the schedule got bumped to 12 games. They took the extra game and made it so they played against the other 9 teams in the conference.

proudsoonergal
12/23/2007, 07:08 PM
Yes, but what about scheduling Notre Dame?

:D

ouwasp
12/24/2007, 01:37 AM
I'd like to see a service academy come to OU.

goingoneight
12/24/2007, 01:49 AM

Guess they acknowledge the "fluke" theory.

goingoneight
12/24/2007, 01:50 AM
that was the argument the Pac-10 was going to be using in regards to their teams when the schedule got bumped to 12 games. They took the extra game and made it so they played against the other 9 teams in the conference.

Here's an idea: NEBRASKA!

I win again.

Leroy Lizard
12/24/2007, 02:07 AM
If UCLA hires Neuheisel, let's play them. It would be great running up the score. Think about it:

"OU is ahead by 28 points, but there are only five seconds left. All they are going to do now is take the knee and I am up thirty thousand clams! Tee hee hee.

Wait! They are throwing the bomb. Touchdown! Crap! They beat the spread! Vinnie is going to break my legs!"

soonermeteor
12/29/2007, 01:50 AM
We can always throw in Tulsa. I read a couple articles that it was actually a respectable choice. Tulsa is a decent mid major and semi in state rival, and the commentators respected the trap game risk.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/29/2007, 01:56 AM
Pssst. Minnesota wants OU or Nebraska as the opponent to open their new on campus facility in 2009.

soonermeteor
12/29/2007, 02:13 AM
Here's the article on Boise State ignoring an OU series:

An OU-Boise series?

Scheduling becoming tougher for power schools

By Berry Tramel
Staff Writer

Several months ago, seeking to fill out its football schedule, OU sent an offer to a variety of mid-majors: 2-for-1. Agree to play on Owen Field twice, and the Sooners would agree to play on your campus or at a big-time stadium nearby.

The Mid-American Conference, Conference USA, the WAC. The Sooners solicited schools from a variety of leagues.

Boise State was on the list.
The negotiating relationship has changed, of course, in the last week, since Boise State stunned OU 43-42 in overtime, a Fiesta Bowl classic that still has the nation buzzing, even the NFL voices who are not void of subject matter this time of year.

But wouldn't an Oklahoma-Boise State series be fun?

Four days after the game, Bronco coach Chris Petersen still was talking with wide eyes.

"What a game,"� Petersen told The Oklahoman. "We've got so much respect for Oklahoma. Class operation. We felt privileged to be out there, competing with those guys."

Maybe it will happen again, and soon. College football scheduling is changing. Finding opponents for traditional powers is more difficult than ever.

OU athletic director Joe Castiglione has not heard back from Boise State, before or after the Fiesta, on the 2-for-1 offer.

Efforts failed to reach Boise State athletic director Gene Bleymaier. Maybe the Broncos will bite on the chance to get the Sooners in Idaho, even if it means two road trips for Boise State.

Of course, Boise State could claim it has earned the right to go home-and-home with anyone, and that would be a valid argument, too.
Would the Sooners sign off on a 1-for-1 deal with Boise State?

"That's a little different,"� Castiglione said. "Typically, we've used those for marquee-type opportunities. Since we have marquee games aready set (Miami, Tennessee, Florida State, LSU, Notre Dame), it would change our philosophy a little bit."

But a philosophy change might be forced upon the Sooners. The rising price of purchased opponents will make all power-conference schools rethink scheduling.

Opponents now are charging the Oklahomas and the Floridas and the Michigans anywhere from $500,000 to $800,000 an appearance. At some point, the price will be too high.

An athletic director will explain to his football coach that sorry, the scheduling advantage is not worth the price, and more equitable games are in store. That's not what coaches want to hear. But such a shift will make the sport better.

And when it happens, fans and media will have to realize that quality opponents make for losable games, and expectations will have to be downshifted slightly.

Heck, the Sooners already took a small step in that direction. In September, OU hosted Washington and is scheduled to play in Seattle in 2008. The Huskies are not one of those marquee games.

If OU goes home-and-home with Washington, why not Boise State?

The Fiesta Bowl left us all wanting more.

yermom
12/29/2007, 02:14 AM
Pssst. Minnesota wants OU or Nebraska as the opponent to open their new on campus facility in 2009.

ugh to Minnesota and to Cincy?

ouch.

i'd like to see us go to Houston or TCU or something, maybe Rice

i like the idea of earlier, easier road games in the season

silverwheels
12/29/2007, 02:41 AM
ugh to Minnesota and to Cincy?

ouch.

i'd like to see us go to Houston or TCU or something, maybe Rice

i like the idea of earlier, easier road games in the season

Don't forget we go to Miami that year.

yermom