PDA

View Full Version : I am sure this won't be a distraction

Jacie
12/21/2007, 01:19 PM
I can understand Richie having to bail on WVU before their bowl game for recruiting purposes, but I kinda wonder if the timing of this move might prove a bit much for the Meatchickens.

Cleaning house: Rich Rodriguez fires Michigan assistant coaches

By LARRY LAGE, AP Sports Writer
December 20, 2007

AP - Dec 17, 1:59 pm EST

ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) -- Rich Rodriguez fired Michigan's assistant coaches Thursday, his second day as an employee of the school.

Rodriguez met with the coaches one by one at Schembechler Hall, as retiring coach Lloyd Carr packed up his belongings in boxes, clearing space for his successor.

"I can understand that he wants to bring in the people that have been with him for years," defensive coordinator Ron English told The Associated Press after having dinner with the coaching staff. "But when you lose your job, it's hard."

Michigan athletic director Bill Martin declined comment.

Carr will coach the Wolverines on Jan. 1 against Florida in the Capital One Bowl, ending his 13th season as their head coach, then Rodriguez will take over.

But the former West Virginia coach already put his mark on the program by firing each of Carr's assistants, all of whom were given two-year deals in March that will pay them through Feb. 28, 2009. Their firings are effective after the bowl game.

English was fired along with Mike DeBord, offensive coordinator; Fred Jackson, wide receivers and associate head coach; Erik Campbell, wide receivers and assistant head coach; Vance Bedford, defensive backs; Scot Loeffler, quarterbacks; Andy Moeller, offensive line; Steve Stripling, defensive line; and Steve Szabo, linebackers.

While helping Michigan prepare to play the Gators, the assistant coaches are free to pursue other jobs. If they don't land a job, they will still be paid by the school.

Before news of the firings broke Thursday night, several players were made available for interviews about the Capital One Bowl and some seemed to have a good impression of their future coach after he watched them practice twice this week.

"Rodriguez could come in and kind of be a distraction for us and want to talk about what he wants to do and talk about next year, but he really hasn't," cornerback Morgan Trent said. "He understands we're trying to win a game here."

Rodriguez started his new job Wednesday by watching Michigan practice.

He was introduced as Carr's replacement on Monday morning, then returned to West Virginia later that day. His resignation as the Mountaineers' coach was moved up from Jan. 3 to midnight Tuesday.

Details and payment of Rodriguez's $4 million buyout in his West Virginia contract still must be worked out. His agent, Mike Brown, said Rodriguez previous comment, "The lawyers are working on it," still stands and declined Wednesday to say whether the buyout clause would be contested.

Michigan and Rodriguez have agreed to the structure of a contract, but Brown deferred comment on a timetable for completing the deal to Martin, who did not respond to a question about the deal via e-mail on Thursday. A message seeking comment was left with Martin.

Rodriguez will not coach the Mountaineers against Oklahoma on Jan. 2 in the Fiesta Bowl.

Lott's Bandana
12/21/2007, 01:24 PM
Gawd, this dude is a POW.

I got to my bookie and took OU at 6.5 when he quit on WVU, the line then went to 8.

Now I HAVE to go see what teh Mish line was...cause it's gonna change!

(Florida -10.5 currently)

Flagstaffsooner
12/21/2007, 01:46 PM
Bo is spinning in his grave.

OUDoc
12/21/2007, 02:07 PM
Bo is spinning in his grave.
They should have tied him down better.

sooner_born_1960
12/21/2007, 02:09 PM
What's the big deal. They are still getting paid. This removes the uncertainty of their future. He wasn't going to keep any of them anyway.

Stoop Dawg
12/21/2007, 02:21 PM
What's the big deal. They are still getting paid. This removes the uncertainty of their future. He wasn't going to keep any of them anyway.

Yeah, no crap. I'd love for my employer to "fire" me today and pay me through Feb of 2009. Sign me up.

Harry Beanbag
12/21/2007, 02:27 PM
Florida is going to make last years title game look like a close score.

Dan Thompson
12/21/2007, 02:56 PM
Really gets Michigan fired up for their bowl game. Why doesn't he wait until the bowls are over?

Lott's Bandana
12/21/2007, 03:00 PM

It appears that Lloyd Carr, when reworking his contract last year preparing for retirement, took less money this year in order for Mish to have a "stipend" to pay his asst coaches if they lost their jobs...this may be what they get paid, instead of what their salary is. Even the Mish fans are confoozed.

http://michigan.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=39&mid=108847382&sid=883&tid=108847382&style=1

Also, it seems the OC Jackson has been "re-hired" by RR.

The Maestro
12/21/2007, 03:13 PM
It's the nature of the coaching business. And the Michigan coaches should have expected it based on their steady decline. Their facilities, support and tradition should never see them losing to Appy State. But, as others have said, God please let someone fire me and pay me six figures for a year!!

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/21/2007, 03:21 PM
It's the nature of the coaching business. And the Michigan coaches should have expected it based on their steady decline. Their facilities, support and tradition should never see them losing to Appy State. But, as others have said, God please let someone fire me and pay me six figures for a year!!

I too would like to sign up for this get fired and get paid 6 figures for the next year plan.

Harry Beanbag
12/21/2007, 03:27 PM
Is it :les: that has in his contract that he gets paid double if he gets fired? Maybe he's not as much of a retard as everybody thinks he is.

fadada1
12/21/2007, 03:47 PM
Is it :les: that has in his contract that he gets paid double if he gets fired? Maybe he's not as much of a retard as everybody thinks he is.
no. he is.

r5TPsooner
12/21/2007, 04:08 PM
Does anyone still think that Rodriguez ISN'T a huge piece of dog feces?

If Stoops would have done what he did, there would have been a public lynching on the "real" South Oval.

PLaw
12/21/2007, 04:14 PM
Me thinks Richie may have ****ed off a lot of the HS coaches in Michigan and the recruiting area.

One of Bob's most brilliant moves was to keep some of Boo's coaches that had developed great relationships with HS coaches in the region. The second was hiring Bobby Jack and his strong ties down South. Richie would be wise to follow Bob's blue print.

BOOMER

LetsGoMountaineers
12/21/2007, 11:51 PM
I personally hope the recruits look at how quickly he turned on WVU before considering going to play at Michigan. He called the recruits (that WVU paid him too talk to) before he even spoke with the team that spent hours of blood, sweat, and tears to help him get to where he is today! Shows that he only cares about himself...and none of the players at either team!

Crucifax Autumn
12/22/2007, 06:01 AM
He's a bastard...keep 'em around for now.

Leroy Lizard
12/22/2007, 08:40 AM
I don't understand the timing. Why not wait until after the bowl game is over? Or, tell them privately but don't make a public announcement.

How hard will they coach knowing that their jobs are finished and everyone knows about it?

stoopified
12/22/2007, 08:49 AM
Me thinks Richie may have ****ed off a lot of the HS coaches in Michigan and the recruiting area.

One of Bob's most brilliant moves was to keep some of Boo's coaches that had developed great relationships with HS coaches in the region. The second was hiring Bobby Jack and his strong ties down South. Richie would be wise to follow Bob's blue print.

BOOMERThe only holdover Bob kept from Boo's staff was Merv and Merv was kicked upstairs to Director of Fotball Operations.What RR has done is SOP in football.It should be noted that RR did rehire the RB coach.

Harry Beanbag
12/22/2007, 10:06 AM
I don't understand the timing. Why not wait until after the bowl game is over? Or, tell them privately but don't make a public announcement.

How hard will they coach knowing that their jobs are finished and everyone knows about it?

Probably about like this....:mad:

http://www.soonerstats.com/football/games/boxscore.cfm?GameID=963

Lott's Bandana
12/22/2007, 10:48 AM
I think someone stoled teh Copper Bowl for cracks money.