Lost my first Bowl game Pick - due to the Officials.... :(

bmjlr
12/21/2007, 10:06 AM

Diddo. :mad:

OUGuf
12/21/2007, 10:08 AM
Great way to start the Bowl season!!
The officials are getting geared up for the OU game, seeing what they can, and cannot get away with.

jk the sooner fan
12/21/2007, 10:14 AM

umm, you realize Utah didnt score on that possession right?

you lost because Utah scored more points than Navy

Blues1
12/21/2007, 10:19 AM

I'm saying Navy gets the ball at the 20 - Drives down the field using up the clock and Wins the Game......JMHO ---- :)

Rockin'

badger
12/21/2007, 10:37 AM
That is kind of sad.

The first bowl of the season. Tons of Navy guys in the crowd out from the San Diego base (GOD BLESS AMERICA!) and tons of Utah fans that made the trip (one of the coolest school songs in the country).

If the refs made a mistake, they should have said so during the game! Argggg. Something the NCAA should step in to correct :(

soonerloyal
12/21/2007, 10:43 AM
Incompetence of NCAA refs is starting to become the norm rather than an exception. And unfortunately the refs are only one of many ridiculous problems that are spoiling college football due to the organization's greed and ineptitude. The NCAA better start pulling its head out, or else the sheer weight of their bull**** is going to bury them.

stoopified
12/21/2007, 11:11 AM
Are these the same refs Leach uses in Lubbock to steal....I mean win games.

yermom
12/21/2007, 11:24 AM
why didn't Navy punt??

it seems the problem with replay is that they have it narrowed down too much AND they seem to be worried about time too much

how long does it take to confer with the officials on rules like this? i didn't watch that part of the game, but i'd bet the announcers knew the rule...

r5TPsooner
12/21/2007, 11:29 AM
I'm sure this is just one of many to come.

GrapevineSooner
12/21/2007, 11:39 AM
So did they not see the ball hit the pylon? It's common knowledge that the pylon is out of bounds and part of the end zone. Obviously if you have possession of the ball and hit it with the ball before you're down, it's a touchdown.

So conversely, it's common knowledge that if you fumble the ball and it hits the pylon before going out of bounds, it's a touchback.

MamaMia
12/21/2007, 11:41 AM
Nowadays most of these officials are either bias, crooked or just too darn old to be out there. Unless a team wins by a large margin, I find myself wondering whether or not they were given the game.

I use to never look at the number of penalties called during a game. Now I do so on a regular basis. When I see a huge amount of holding calls made against one team, and only one or none made on the other, its pretty darn obvious that a screwing is in progress. The King always commented on how the refs could call holding on every play, if thats what they want to do. A few holding calls can put a team down early on. Thats a sure fire way to set a team back after a great start, or break their spirit and momentum right off the bat, and its so easy for a ref to use this tactic. I see this done a lot.

MextheBulldog
12/21/2007, 11:48 AM
Funny thing is, after all that they still had a shot to win it.

P.S. You know there's a problem when Lou Holtz can get it right yet the replay guys cannot figure it out.

Desert Sapper
12/21/2007, 12:28 PM
Navy stuffed the Utes, but then had to take over at their own 1, vice taking over at their own 20. Time necessitated that they go for it. They didn't get it. Utah scored. Officials screwed up a major call. Bottom line. Stamp their meal cards no dessert...for a week, at least. ;)

RedstickSooner
12/21/2007, 01:30 PM
While they weren't jobbed as badly as we were (Oregon), taking over at the 20 vs. the 1 foot mark is a pretty big difference.

There's also the issue of lost time as the Utah offense was given its additional chances to punch it in for a score (which would've come into play had Navy been able to sustain its drive from the one foot mark).

Lott's Bandana
12/21/2007, 01:42 PM
and tons of Utah fans that made the trip (one of the coolest school songs in the country).

Oh yeah? Linky?

garland sooner
12/21/2007, 02:20 PM
Oh yeah? Linky?

http://www.fightmusic.com/mp3/mwc/Utah__Utah_Man.mp3

TopDawg
12/21/2007, 02:23 PM
Oh yeah? Linky?

badger's right...it is pretty catchy. It's one of the ones that stands out for me from the EA game.

BoulderSooner79
12/21/2007, 04:10 PM
While they weren't jobbed as badly as we were (Oregon), taking over at the 20 vs. the 1 foot mark is a pretty big difference.

There's also the issue of lost time as the Utah offense was given its additional chances to punch it in for a score (which would've come into play had Navy been able to sustain its drive from the one foot mark).

Time wasn't really an issue as it was 4th down and the clock was stopped - maybe cost 5 seconds. But this is the thing that infuriates me about instant replay. This is the exact situation it is supposed to fix. The refs missed it on the field and the replay captured everything perfectly - close up and in HD. The only way the replay booth gets it wrong is if they don't know the rules - but the conversation with the on-field ref should catch that. Just no excuse. Can't say Navy would have won, but they only needed 3 to force OT.

PLaw
12/21/2007, 04:18 PM

Hmmm, having the ball inside the one or on the 20??? While Navy did get one first down, I would rather have 80 yards to go instead of 99. It may have changed their play calling, but after watching their offense, I doubt it.

BOOMER

SoonerMom2
12/21/2007, 04:38 PM
I don't care if Navy was down by 50. Get the call right! If the guys on the field miss it, the replay booth should overturn the call. That was one of the more obvious calls I've seen in awhile. What is the point of having replay again? It always seems to either confirm or create incorrect calls.

Lott's Bandana
12/21/2007, 05:39 PM
http://www.fightmusic.com/mp3/mwc/Utah__Utah_Man.mp3

Ok got it....thanks. Cool website that.

Crucifax Autumn
12/24/2007, 06:05 AM
It doesn't matter what the outcome woulda been...the important thing is that every play, every moment of that game woulda been different if the officials would have made the right call. Maybe Navy goes 3 and out and loses by more maybe they march down the field...the point is that the replay guys should be required to know the rules.

OU Adonis
12/25/2007, 02:21 PM
I love navy's offense. I am curious to see what Paul Johnson can do with some atheletes.

soonermeteor
12/25/2007, 05:47 PM
I figure there have been bad calls since the game of football started, but they seem to be coming up more recently. Why? Youtube. You make a mistake, you bet youll be all over the internet within minutes.

Blues1
12/25/2007, 06:20 PM
I figure there have been bad calls since the game of football started, but they seem to be coming up more recently. Why? Youtube. You make a mistake, you bet youll be all over the internet within minutes.

Amen - We are all on Video - at the mall - the gas station - Fast food McDonalds -etc - It's just a matter of time before You are on "Youtube".... :) - Smile or :(

Not Rockin' ....!

SoonerBOI
12/25/2007, 06:38 PM
I saw it.

The blown call had more to do with not knowing simple football rules. The announcers knew it, I, a casual(AHEM) college football fan knew it, and these bozos who are trained couldnt get a flag football-style call right?

BTW, lot of uncalled pick plays and holding calls in that tOSU/Ill that involved that gamblin ref......

just sayin'

Leroy Lizard
12/25/2007, 09:44 PM
Not that it matters, but it's a silly rule. Why should Navy get the ball if they don't recover the fumble?

If Utah fumbles and the ball hits the pylon, I can understand why Utah would get the ball on the one-yard line. That is the way the rule SHOULD be.

But why should Navy get the ball? This is the wierdest rule in college football.

arcman46
12/25/2007, 10:07 PM
I live in Utah, and root for the Utes, but it definately should have been Navy's ball. To answer Lizard, the reason that Navy should have gotten the ball is that when it hit the pylon and went out of bounds, it is the same as if it had been fumbled all the way though the end zone and out the back. Rule is that it is placed on the 20 and goes to the other team.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/25/2007, 10:46 PM
Are these the same refs Leach uses in Lubbock to steal....I mean win games.They got their learnin' from the John Bible school of Most Excellent Refereedom.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/25/2007, 10:50 PM
Nowadays most of these officials are either bias, crooked or just too darn old to be out there. Unless a team wins by a large margin, I find myself wondering whether or not they were given the game.

I use to never look at the number of penalties called during a game. Now I do so on a regular basis. When I see a huge amount of holding calls made against one team, and only one or none made on the other, its pretty darn obvious that a screwing is in progress. The King always commented on how the refs could call holding on every play, if thats what they want to do. A few holding calls can put a team down early on. Thats a sure fire way to set a team back after a great start, or break their spirit and momentum right off the bat, and its so easy for a ref to use this tactic. I see this done a lot.Wrong! It's just your mamagination.

MextheBulldog
12/25/2007, 11:07 PM
Not that it matters, but it's a silly rule. Why should Navy get the ball if they don't recover the fumble?

If Utah fumbles and the ball hits the pylon, I can understand why Utah would get the ball on the one-yard line. That is the way the rule SHOULD be.

But why should Navy get the ball? This is the wierdest rule in college football.

Pylon = goal line

If you hit the pylon, you're effectively in the endzone. So if the ball is fumbled into the pylon, they call it a touchback. Edit: Or, what arcman46 also said...

But if the Utah player touches the pylon while still holding the ball, its a TD.

I have never before seen this type of play though. Extremely rare that the ball would be fumbled into the pylon.