PDA

View Full Version : Need decongestant suggestions

Widescreen
12/20/2007, 07:35 PM
I've had severe nasal congestion for over a week now and it's really affecting my sleep. What's the best (legal) non-prescription decongestant for that kind of thing? I'm about to lose it from exhaustion. Help. Srsly.

GottaHavePride
12/20/2007, 07:45 PM
Affecting your sleep? Afrin spray.

NOTE: Yes, Afrin is addicting and can make the situation worse with extended use. That's why I use it like this:

Use the Afrin 15 to 20 minutes before you go to bed. Spray ONLY ONE SPRAY into JUST ONE NOSTRIL. The 15-20 minutes give it just enough time to work so you can blow all the crap out before you're really trying to get to sleep.

That should get you through the night ok. By alternating nostrils you can generally keep from experiencing any of the withdrawal symptoms when you stop using it. (Trust me, I have used this method a LOT in the past.)

A good second step is to go get you some Claritin-D and start taking it. An antihistamine / decongestant combo should help.

OUinFLA
12/20/2007, 07:58 PM
Affecting your sleep? Afrin spray.

NOTE: Yes, Afrin is addicting and can make the situation worse with extended use. That's why I use it like this:

Use the Afrin 15 to 20 minutes before you go to bed. Spray ONLY ONE SPRAY into JUST ONE NOSTRIL. The 15-20 minutes give it just enough time to work so you can blow all the crap out before you're really trying to get to sleep.

That should get you through the night ok. By alternating nostrils you can generally keep from experiencing any of the withdrawal symptoms when you stop using it. (Trust me, I have used this method a LOT in the past.)

A good second step is to go get you some Claritin-D and start taking it. An antihistamine / decongestant combo should help.

can you go a bit more in depth about the addicting part?

GottaHavePride
12/20/2007, 08:03 PM
Um, if you use Afrin at the recommended dosage for more than 3 or 4 days, when you stop using it your nose will be clogged up way worse than it was before. Your nose becomes dependent on it.

That's why I suggested using only one spray (instead of two) in just one nostril. It seems to help.

Widescreen
12/20/2007, 08:09 PM
Interesting. I never thought of alternating nostrils. I had a BAD withdrawal from that stuff about 10 years ago and decided I'd never use it again. I may have to give it a try. Thanks.

Mjcpr
12/20/2007, 08:09 PM
I've always heard people suggest Mucinex but I don't now if it requires an Rx.

Mjcpr
12/20/2007, 08:10 PM
Wait, maybe that's not what you wanted. Mucinex is supposed to make you cough up the goodies in your lungs.

GottaHavePride
12/20/2007, 08:13 PM
Yeah, that's an expectorant. I think.

Expecto phlegm!

soonerboomer93
12/20/2007, 08:20 PM
personally, anything with pseudo-ephedrine generally works well for me

sometimes I'll do a sinus rinse, but you can't do that if you're fully congested.

Flagstaffsooner
12/20/2007, 08:26 PM
Have a hungry aggie suck on your nose. That will clean all of the snot out of you. Warning-this is addictive, to the aggie.

Widescreen
12/20/2007, 08:28 PM
where's Chase Daniel when you need him?

OzarkSooner
12/20/2007, 10:47 PM
As a chronic sufferer of nasal congestion (see almost every night) I have a couple of suggestions for you.

First off, if you haven't tried Breathe Rights then you should. My biggest problem with them is the expense...they ain't cheap. (I have a deviated septum and these things work well for that.)

Secondly, if you don't know the trick of correct head alignment to drain the nasal passages then you should learn the technique. People will likely think I'm crazy, but, it works. I thought my Dad was nuts when he was telling me about it, but now, I use this method about 80 percent of the time when I'm congested. The trick is while lying on your side, you have to find the exact angle that your nasal passages will drain. I have found that if I point the end of my nose directly at the juncture of the ceiling and wall it pretty much lines up correctly and the nostril opposite the side I'm laying on will drain. You have to be patient at first until you get the technique. You know you're getting it right when you feel a sort of "suction" on what seems like the backside of your nostril. If you remain in that postion your nose will drain. You can then flip to the other side and drain the other nostril.

When my congestion is serious, I may have to flip from side to side a couple or three times per evening, so it's not perfect. But it is DRUG FREE!!

IT TAKES PATIENCE, but it will work.

Widescreen
12/20/2007, 10:49 PM
Yeah, I've noticed that if I lay on my side, my nostril that's toward the ceiling tends to open up a bit. The problem is, then the nostril toward the bed gets completely clogged. Eventually I have to change sides and go through it all again which causes the other nostril to clog up again. This is pretty hard on the sleep cycle.

The one thing I've found that works extremely well is exercising but unfortunately that's pretty much mutually exclusive with being unconscious.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/20/2007, 10:54 PM
Meth seems clear me up..bonus is it helps lose weight...side effects: not much of any

olevetonahill
12/20/2007, 11:00 PM
Blow your Damn nose ,

yermom
12/20/2007, 11:00 PM
last time i was having this kinda problem i was breathing the steam from a tea kettle until i broke it all up and could clear it out. did this every few hours

but i really hate taking drugs, and i particularly hate how antihistamines make me feel

i'd probably try something like this if i was really having issues: http://www.naturalhealthyconcepts.com/neti-pot-p-allergies-sinus-relief.html

MamaMia
12/20/2007, 11:06 PM
Expectorants make you cough. You need a cough suppressant for sleeping. Also, generously rub the bottoms of your feet with Vick's Vapor Rub and cover them up with a pair of nice soft warm socks. That will help a bunch with the coughing. :)

yermom
12/20/2007, 11:08 PM
and apparently you can bake cookies

GottaHavePride
12/20/2007, 11:33 PM
The one thing I've found that works extremely well is exercising but unfortunately that's pretty much mutually exclusive with being unconscious.

Try extremely spicy food. I've found both Mexican and Thai work well. ;)

And yeah, pseudo-ephedrine is the "D" in most of the Antihistamine/Decongestants out there.

yermom
12/20/2007, 11:35 PM
Try extremely spicy food. I've found both Mexican and Thai work well. ;)

oh yeah, i forgot about that part

my sinuses generally are getting a pretty good workout there :D

GottaHavePride
12/20/2007, 11:38 PM
Yeah, order the spicy stir fry and tell 'em you want it hot.

sanantoniosooner
12/20/2007, 11:39 PM
where's Chase Daniel when you need him?
He supports the "alternating nostril" technique also.

soonerinabilene
12/20/2007, 11:39 PM
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/soonerinabilene/7_3_product.jpg

This thing is awesome. Its like crack. But its awesome.

sanantoniosooner
12/20/2007, 11:42 PM
Use a turkey baster to put pepto bismol up each nostril.

I know this sounds silly, but give it a try.

And then get back to us.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/20/2007, 11:45 PM
With all the expert advise here, you should be well in a day or two

bluedogok
12/20/2007, 11:55 PM
I use either Aleve-D (formerly known as Cold & Sinus) or Claritin-D. The Aleve-D has an extended release pseudophedrine that seems to work better for me than anything else, the Claritin-D has a similar pseudophedrine. The Mucinex is now available OTC, they do have one with pseudophedrine.

I have tried most of the prescriptions and they all quit working after awhile. To sleep while congested, I will take Benadryl every once in awhile but I always have a Benadryl hangover the next morning.

Lott's Bandana
12/20/2007, 11:57 PM
Zicam Nasal Spray

It is natural, non-addictive, lasts 12 hours, works almost instantly and you will never use anything else.

Srsly win.

I moved back here from SC/FL/HI/CA and found out I don't do prairie grass so good...

soonerbrat
12/21/2007, 02:36 AM
you need a Neti Pot - click here (http://www.sinucleanse.com/netipotlanding.htm?source=google&group=neti&campaign=1).

i'm being srs here. for reals.

olevetonahill
12/21/2007, 02:42 AM
Hell
One last time , If ur in bed and ur snot holder gets Plugged . Lean over the side of the bed , Place a thumb on one Nostril , Give a farmers Blow .
Repeat fer other side .
Ya got a dog dont ya ?