PDA

View Full Version : T-Town Restaurant Review: LUCKY'S

Lott's Bandana
12/20/2007, 03:18 PM
Lucky's
1536 E. 15th St. (Cherry St. where Camarelli's used to be)
918-592-5825
http://www.luckysrestauranttulsa.com (under construction)

Live in Norman but travel to Tulsa several times a month for biz. A client mentioned this place as being new and worth a try...

Visited on 12/19 at approx 1:50pm for a late lunch. Like many Cherry St. locations, parking could be an issue, however, this early afternoon visit rewarded us with the remaining spot in a lot that has about 10? spaces for 3 different establishments.

Entered the plain-looking building and immediately noticed a bistro-like decor...something similar to what you find in the towns around Northern California (Napa, Sausalito, Livermore)...minimalistic black and dark colors / tables and chairs with chic' wallhangings and a bar separated by a plant-topped partition. Tables along the windows (shaded with old school metal vane-shades) and another set of tables along the partition. Stools at the small bar.

Note: a small room sits to the side of the entrance and this day there was a group of ladies playing mah-jong, seemingly having a nice time.

Greeted by a server in white blouse and black slacks, she handed us our menus which are printed from a computer on regular 8.5 X 11 sheets of paper. Perhaps to indicate a regularly changing list of selections?

Served water in highball glasses, we asked several questions before deciding on similar dishes. My second glass of water came in a Tom Collins glass.

While we waited, a small bowl of hummus and frybread wedges was brought to the table. Given the lateness of our lunch, we devoured the snack, enjoying the incredible subtlety of the hummus flavor...perhaps the best I have ever tasted.

My grilled tilapia sandwich came on a foccacia bun, also enclosing a bed of napa cabbage and thinly sliced red onion. I made the mistake of asking the waitress for a recommended sauce to "wet" my sandwich, to which she replied that the sandwich is served without accompaniment because the chef wants the savory flavors to be fully enjoyed. However, she cheerfully offered some dijon mustard, which I accepted. To her credit, she was absolutely right, the sandwich stood resoundingly on it's own merit.

Her seared Ahi sandwich was well presented and seared perfectly, with that almost "jelly-sandwich" appearance created with the seared exterior and rich red interior so beautiful with any lightly-grilled Ahi dish. She made "yummy" sounds during her prosecution of the Ahi...

Note: my sandwich came as two halves, her sandwich was only a half...in retrospect, because I only could eat one half anyway, hers was the better portion size for lunch...however, I did enjoy the second half for my lunch today!

Accompanying the sandwiches was a glass full of sweet potato fries. Yes, a glass full, wrapped in a cloth napkin. Interesting presentation and it worked.

I wish I had kept a menu...from memory, other choices included:

a grilled trout appetizer
frybread
the same sandwich as the tilapia, but with grilled chicken
eggs poblano (I will try this next time)
hamburger/cheeseburger

Also: a Chicken-Fried Rabbit dish. This is what fascinated the client that recommended Lucky's, yet none of the three of us has yet to try it.

Prices were all under $15. I'm not sure if this was a lunch menu or dinner menu or both, however.

Recommendation:

Don't worry about a window seat, the view ain't all that. However, this is a great, great alternative to the "chain" and with the excellent food, interesting menu and affordable prices, I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a new, regular haunt.

Bottom line: I would take a client, lunch date and a date that has reached "girlfriend" status, without question. A first date, maybe not, as there are many other romantic places in Tulsa to choose from...but again, if we are doing an "evening out", I would definitely go to Lucky's.

Note: because it was lunch, I didn't look too hard at the wine selection, nor did I sample any of them...too bad, as they do call themselves a wine bar and deserve this look.

I hope some of you try Lucky's and share your own impressions...if I left something out, just ask...

OklahomaTuba
12/20/2007, 03:22 PM
Do they sing for your birthday??

If not, they can just

Go.

To.

Hell.

Mjcpr
12/20/2007, 03:29 PM
Do they have one in Owasso?

No.

IB4OU2
12/20/2007, 03:31 PM
Lucky's
1536 E. 15th St. (Cherry St. where Camarelli's used to be)
918-592-5825
http://www.luckysrestauranttulsa.com (under construction)

Live in Norman but travel to Tulsa several times a month for biz. A client mentioned this place as being new and worth a try...

Visited on 12/19 at approx 1:50pm for a late lunch. Like many Cherry St. locations, parking could be an issue, however, this early afternoon visit rewarded us with the remaining spot in a lot that has about 10? spaces for 3 different establishments.

Entered the plain-looking building and immediately noticed a bistro-like decor...something similar to what you find in the towns around Northern California (Napa, Sausalito, Livermore)...minimalistic black and dark colors / tables and chairs with chic' wallhangings and a bar separated by a plant-topped partition. Tables along the windows (shaded with old school metal vane-shades) and another set of tables along the partition. Stools at the small bar.

Note: a small room sits to the side of the entrance and this day there was a group of ladies playing mah-jong, seemingly having a nice time.

Greeted by a server in white blouse and black slacks, she handed us our menus which are printed from a computer on regular 8.5 X 11 sheets of paper. Perhaps to indicate a regularly changing list of selections?

Served water in highball glasses, we asked several questions before deciding on similar dishes. My second glass of water came in a Tom Collins glass.

While we waited, a small bowl of hummus and frybread wedges was brought to the table. Given the lateness of our lunch, we devoured the snack, enjoying the incredible subtlety of the hummus flavor...perhaps the best I have ever tasted.

My grilled tilapia sandwich came on a foccacia bun, also enclosing a bed of napa cabbage and thinly sliced red onion. I made the mistake of asking the waitress for a recommended sauce to "wet" my sandwich, to which she replied that the sandwich is served without accompaniment because the chef wants the savory flavors to be fully enjoyed. However, she cheerfully offered some dijon mustard, which I accepted. To her credit, she was absolutely right, the sandwich stood resoundingly on it's own merit.

Her seared Ahi sandwich was well presented and seared perfectly, with that almost "jelly-sandwich" appearance created with the seared exterior and rich red interior so beautiful with any lightly-grilled Ahi dish. She made "yummy" sounds during her prosecution of the Ahi...

Note: my sandwich came as two halves, her sandwich was only a half...in retrospect, because I only could eat one half anyway, hers was the better portion size for lunch...however, I did enjoy the second half for my lunch today!

Accompanying the sandwiches was a glass full of sweet potato fries. Yes, a glass full, wrapped in a cloth napkin. Interesting presentation and it worked.

I wish I had kept a menu...from memory, other choices included:

a grilled trout appetizer
frybread
the same sandwich as the tilapia, but with grilled chicken
eggs poblano (I will try this next time)
hamburger/cheeseburger

Also: a Chicken-Fried Rabbit dish. This is what fascinated the client that recommended Lucky's, yet none of the three of us has yet to try it.

Prices were all under $15. I'm not sure if this was a lunch menu or dinner menu or both, however.

Recommendation:

Don't worry about a window seat, the view ain't all that. However, this is a great, great alternative to the "chain" and with the excellent food, interesting menu and affordable prices, I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a new, regular haunt.

Bottom line: I would take a client, lunch date and a date that has reached "girlfriend" status, without question. A first date, maybe not, as there are many other romantic places in Tulsa to choose from...but again, if we are doing an "evening out", I would definitely go to Lucky's.

Note: because it was lunch, I didn't look too hard at the wine selection, nor did I sample any of them...too bad, as they do call themselves a wine bar and deserve this look.

I hope some of you try Lucky's and share your own impressions...if I left something out, just ask...

That place is only a few blocks from my house...I'll have to try it.

Pricetag
12/20/2007, 03:38 PM
I would take a client, lunch date and a date that has reached "girlfriend" status, without question. A first date, maybe not, as there are many other romantic places in Tulsa to choose from...
Yeah, first dates are Olive Garden all the way.

Lott's Bandana
12/20/2007, 03:59 PM
Coney Island

StoopTroup
12/20/2007, 06:25 PM
!st dates should be reserved for her cooking a meal for you.

If she can't cook...she better be really good at other things.

Oldnslo
12/20/2007, 06:32 PM
Their Italian sandwich is Greatness. And their tortilla soup will RYFO.