PDA

View Full Version : Praying with your doctor.

IB4OU2
12/20/2007, 10:05 AM
I watched this on OETA news last evening and thought it was an interesting report. I experienced this with one of my doctors a few times in the last year and for me he was very sincere. Though I'm not quite as devout a christian as many his concern and belief in God in guiding his hand in surgery and help heal and relieve the pain of his patients for me was a blessing and made me feel more secure about the care I was being provided. What are your thoughts?

Btw, the reporter was really, really good too....:D

frankensooner
12/20/2007, 10:09 AM
When did surgeons start praying to themselves? ;)

Mjcpr
12/20/2007, 10:11 AM
Holy God, wtf do I do now?

IB4OU2
12/20/2007, 10:14 AM
Holy God, wtf do I do now?

Hemmorriod surgery is pretty tricky. :D

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/20/2007, 10:15 AM
Before my Dad had his first cancer surgery, the surgeon asked us if he could say a prayer. We found it to be comforting that he was trusting God to help him through the surgery. I wonder if anyone ever says no when a surgeon asks that?

Mjcpr
12/20/2007, 10:17 AM
Also, what is OETA news?

M
12/20/2007, 10:18 AM
Btw, the reporter was really, really good too....:D

Was she a tall, fetching, witty blonde? ;)

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/20/2007, 10:23 AM
Also, what is OETA news?Oklahoma's Excellent T&A

IB4OU2
12/20/2007, 10:24 AM
Was she a tall, fetching, witty blonde? ;)

Absolutely!

Hamhock
12/20/2007, 10:31 AM
In His Image runs a residency through Hillcrest. When our son was born, the pediatrician asked if she could pray with us. I thought it was very nice.

M
12/20/2007, 10:36 AM
This thread reminds me of that St. Anthony's commercial that runs every 5 minutes where the surgeons are praying while "I have faith, I have faith, I have faith in yoooooouuuuu!!!" plays in the background. Damn song's always stuck in my head. :mad: ;)

IB4OU2
12/20/2007, 10:38 AM
This thread reminds me of that St. Anthony's commercial that runs every 5 minutes where the surgeons are praying while "I have faith, I have faith, I have faith in yoooooouuuuu!!!" plays in the background. Damn song's always stuck in my head. :mad: ;)

He's praying for a steady hand...I'm praying for no out of pocket expense.

fadada1
12/20/2007, 10:39 AM
i don't have a problem with it... as long as they don't try to suck me into their wackey belief system where a fat man in a red suit representing jesus gives gifts to good children and coal to bad ones.

i keeeed, i keeed.:D :D

OklahomaTuba
12/20/2007, 10:40 AM
Very cool.

Prayer is a very powerful thing.

OUDoc
12/20/2007, 10:42 AM
Some patients like it, some don't. I'm not the most religious guy in the world, but I am Catholic. I don't pray with my patients, I'm not a priest, but if they say "God bless you" to me, I say it back to them.
They pray A LOT at St. Anthony's (go figure). I can tell you, my grandfather was in Saint's about 4 months ago, after the doctor prayed with him, he called my Dad crying, thinking he must be dying if they prayed with him like that. Some can misunderstand the frequent prayers.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/20/2007, 10:48 AM
This thread reminds me of that St. Anthony's commercial that runs every 5 minutes where the surgeons are praying while "I have faith, I have faith, I have faith in yoooooouuuuu!!!" plays in the background. Damn song's always stuck in my head. :mad: ;)Written and sung by Jami Smith-I went to college with her.

I can see why it might freak someone out if it was frequent, but right before a surgery is ok.

M
12/20/2007, 10:51 AM
Some patients like it, some don't. I'm not the most religious guy in the world, but I am Catholic. I don't pray with my patients, I'm not a priest, but if they say "God bless you" to me, I say it back to them.
They pray A LOT at St. Anthony's (go figure). I can tell you, my grandfather was in Saint's about 4 months ago, after the doctor prayed with him, he called my Dad crying, thinking he must be dying if they prayed with him like that. Some can misunderstand the frequent prayers.

Peace be with you!
And also with you!
Lift up your hearts!
We lift them up to the Lord!

You don't think that would catch some people off guard? ;)

Ike
12/20/2007, 01:27 PM
On one level, I can see it as a nice gesture that tries to re-assure a patient.

On the other hand, I firmly believe that God has it in for me. If my surgeon wanted to pray, I would worry that this would bring to God's attention the fact that he has yet another opportunity to screw with me.