PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning...Dear America, Please accept this city. Love, France

Okla-homey
12/20/2007, 08:08 AM
December 20, 1803: The French deliver the City of New Orleans and surrounding vicinity to the U.S.

204 years ago today, without a shot fired, the French hand over New Orleans and Lower Louisiana to the United States.

http://aycu19.webshots.com/image/35458/2000493530174975961_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2000493530174975961)

In April 1803, the United States purchased from France the 828,000 square miles that had formerly been French Louisiana. The area was divided into two territories: the northern half we purchased was Louisiana Territory, the largely unsettled (though home to many Indians) frontier section that was later explored by Lewis and Clark; not included in the deal was the much smaller southern Orleans Territory, which was populated by Europeans.

Put simply, we bought the massive Louisiana Territory, but passed on Orleans Territory. On this day, France said, "we'll throw it in as a bonus."

Unlike the sprawling and largely unexplored northern territory (which eventually encompassed a dozen large states including OUr favorite), Orleans Territory was a small, densely populated region that was like a little slice of France in the New World.

http://aycu06.webshots.com/image/37125/2000484225654640727_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2000484225654640727)

With borders that roughly corresponded to the modern state of Louisiana, Orleans Territory was home to about 50,000 people, a primarily French population that had been living under the direction of a Spanish administration.

These former citizens of France knew almost nothing about American laws and institutions, and the challenging task of bringing them into the American fold fell to the newly appointed governor of the region, twenty-eight-year-old William Claiborne.

http://aycu20.webshots.com/image/38419/2000491956684768075_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2000491956684768075)
W. C. C. Claiborne, Governor of Orleans Territory, 1803—12; Governor of the State of Louisiana, 1812-16; Commander-in-Chief, Louisiana Militia, 1814-15.

Historians have found no real evidence that the French of Orleans Territory resented their transfer to American control, though one witness claimed that when the French tri-color was replaced by the Stars and Stripes in New Orleans, the citizens wept.

http://aycu14.webshots.com/image/37533/2000498822639772815_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2000498822639772815)

The French did resent that their new governor was appointed rather than elected, and they bridled when the American government tried to make English the official language and discouraged the use of French.

http://aycu28.webshots.com/image/36907/2000468052387626491_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2000468052387626491)

It didn't help matters that young Claiborne knew neither French nor Spanish. Claiborne soon found himself immersed in a complex sea of ethnic tensions and political unrest that he little understood, and in January he wrote to Thomas Jefferson that the population was "uninformed, indolent, luxurious-in a word, ill-fitted to be useful citizens for a Republic."

http://aycu28.webshots.com/image/36907/2000478756580005422_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2000478756580005422)

To his dismay, Claiborne found that most of his time was spent not governing, but dealing with an unrelenting procession of crises like riots, robberies, and runaway slaves.

Despite his concerns, Claiborne knew that somehow these people had to be made into American citizens, and over time he gradually made progress in bringing the citizenry into the Union.

http://aycu03.webshots.com/image/38282/2000427899258930577_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2000427899258930577)
Statue of St. Joan, the Maid of Orleans, in New Orleans

In December 1804 he was happy to report to Jefferson that "they begin to view their connexion with the United States as permanent and to experience the benefits thereof." Proof of this came eight years later, when the people of Orleans Territory drafted a constitution and successfully petitioned to become the eighteenth state in the Union.

Despite Claiborne's doubts about whether the French would ever truly fit into their new nation, the approval of that petition meant that the people of Louisiana were officially Americans.

http://aycu04.webshots.com/image/38843/2000475379197939992_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2000475379197939992)

http://aycu19.webshots.com/image/39378/2000435598307457638_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2000435598307457638)

OklahomaTuba
12/20/2007, 09:46 AM
Can we give it back?

TUSooner
12/20/2007, 10:09 AM
Can we give it back?

I knew that was coming. :rolleyes:

INGRATE !!!

:D

M
12/20/2007, 10:22 AM
Mmmm...etouffee, gumbo, poboys, beignets and chicory coffee...

and hurricane daiquiris too... :D

fadada1
12/20/2007, 10:43 AM
the historical sign looks like it was beat down with a baseball bat (probably was), and the bourbon st/toulouse st. sign looks like it may have taken a beating as well. glad they care so much about their image down there.

SoonerStormchaser
12/20/2007, 11:44 AM
Can we just send France Ray Nagin and his chocolate cronies as a thank you gift?

Boomer_Sooner_sax
12/20/2007, 01:20 PM
204 years and it still is a s***ty place.

TUSooner
12/20/2007, 02:02 PM
You know, if I were not so busy protecting people's constitutional rights and stuff, I'd let loose a real azs-ripping rant about
self-righteous, narrow-minded, history-blind, ignorance-embracing, white-bread-only eating folk who think that because their way of life is good it's the only way everybody must live and who can't and won't appreciate anything remotely unfamiliar or outside their teeny, tiny see-it-through-a-pin-hole, Pat Robertson-approved world view.
But like I said, I'm too busy. ;) :D

Plus, I've accepted that some people will never appreciate the beauty of living in New Orleans, just like some folks will never appreciate the beauty of living in Oklahoma.

M
12/20/2007, 02:54 PM
I <3 New Orleans. Plus, if it weren't for the Crescent City, I'd have to like, buy Mardi Gras beads and stuff. ;)

SoonerStormchaser
12/20/2007, 03:43 PM
New Orleans kicks ***...the administration is what's ruining it.

SicEmBaylor
12/20/2007, 03:46 PM
You know, if I were not so busy protecting people's constitutional rights and stuff, I'd let loose a real azs-ripping rant about
self-righteous, narrow-minded, history-blind, ignorance-embracing, white-bread-only eating folk who think that because their way of life is good it's the only way everybody must live and who can't and won't appreciate anything remotely unfamilair or outside their teeny tiny see-it-through-a-pin-hole, Pat Robertson-approved world view.
But like I said, I'm too busy. ;) :D

Plus, I've accepted that some people will never appreciate the beauty of living in New Orleans any more than other folks will appreciate the beauty of living in Oklahoma.

I love New Orleans. I'm not real king on spending a lot of time there at present for obvious reasons, but in general I've always enjoyed going to New Orleans. I have some friends down there as well.

You won't hear me bash a good Southern city; now some of the people in it is another story.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
12/20/2007, 04:59 PM
I have been there several times and I can say it never was one of my favorite cities, long before the Sugar Bowl and hurricane hit there. I always thought it was a nasty place and never cared for it. If I wanted adult fun, I would go to Las Vegas. I just don't get it though. Never have, but I know a lot of people who like it. If it were up to me, I would never set foot again in the whole state either.

Miko
12/20/2007, 05:17 PM
I think it's fair to say that it is an acquired taste.

Miko
12/20/2007, 05:32 PM
My inlaws live in Jawjah and have kudsu growing everywhere.

When my wife asked why we don't have it here I told her what I had been told by some south LA folks: Kudsu will never cross the Mississippi because the Cajuns will eat it!

mdklatt
12/20/2007, 05:50 PM
Plus, if it weren't for the Crescent City, I'd have to like, buy Mardi Gras beads and stuff. ;)

TTIWWP

mdklatt
12/20/2007, 05:53 PM
I'm going there in January. I'm not overly excited. I'm not very fond of large numbers of drunken jackasses.

EDIT: FYI, I'm talking about the visitors not the people that live there. It seems like NO is a place where it's Spring Break every day of the year. :rolleyes:

TUSooner
12/20/2007, 06:03 PM
Now that I have have protected my share of constitutional rights for the day... ;)
I can see how people don't like New Orleans. Some people hate Oklahoma, too. I'm sorry that so many people's impression of New Orleans is based on LSU fans at the Sugar Bowl from Hell and Katrina.
Me? I'm ready to move to Oklahoma as soon as the opportunity presents itself. But what people don't understand is that the New Orleans style of life, pace of life, love of life, view of life is just different, and in a good way - slower, easier, funnier. You can't experience it on a vacation, you have to live here and get into the rhythm of the year. As bad as things can be, and as bad as I KNOW things sometimes are, there are still a few days when I look around and say, "Why would anybody ever want to live anywhere else?" And the place has so much interesting history, which most people don't care about, but which fascinates me.
So I have no real gripe with people who don't like the place; much of the time, I am one of them. But I think most of the smack from people who "really dont know" is sadly lame. And I think it's wrong, ignorant, self-righteous, etc., for people to curse the whole place and all of its people just because it's not like where THEY live.
That's it!

Okla-homey
12/20/2007, 06:52 PM
Now that I have have protected my share of constitutional rights for the day... ;)
I can see how people don't like New Orleans. Some people hate Oklahoma, too. I'm sorry that so many people's impression of New Orleans is based on LSU fans at the Sugar Bowl from Hell and Katrina.
Me? I'm ready to move to Oklahoma as soon as the opportunity presents itself. But what people don't understand is that the New Orleans style of life, pace of life, love of life, view of life is just different, and in a good way - slower, easier, funnier. You can't experience it on a vacation, you have to live here and get into the rhythm of the year. As bad as things can be, and as bad as I KNOW things sometimes are, there are still a few days when I look around and say, "Why would anybody ever want to live anywhere else?" And the place has so much interesting history, which most people don't care about, but which fascinates me.
So I have no real gripe with people who don't like the place; much of the time, I am one of them. But I think most of the smack from people who "really dont know" is sadly lame. And I think it's wrong, ignorant, self-righteous, etc., for people to curse the whole place and all of its people just because it's not like where THEY live.
That's it!

Point taken. And you know I love you like a brother (well, at least a first cousin, in a manly platonic kinda way) BUT...this happened in the Crescent City today (see below)

Now, I realize there is prolly far more to this story than what's being reported, but why in the name of all that's holy would people protest demo. of ratty, nasty, moldy, damaged tenements for replacement by new, mixed-income housing develoments, thus adding a bit of homogeniety to the social stata down your way and puuting the poor in spiffy new digs?

It just seems to this Okie it would generally be a good thing to spread the poor folks around some.

NEW ORLEANS (AP) - Police used chemical spray and stun guns Thursday as dozens of protesters seeking to halt the demolition of 4,500 public housing units tried to force their way through an iron gate at City Hall.
One woman was sprayed with chemicals and dragged from the gates. She was taken away on a stretcher by emergency officials. Before that, the woman was seen pouring water from a bottle into her eyes and weeping.

Another woman said she was stunned by officers, and still had what appeared to be a Taser wire hanging from her shirt.

"I was just standing, trying to get into my City Council meeting," said the woman, Kim Ellis.

Arrests were made as officers tried to establish order.

Inside, a scuffle also occurred in the City Council chambers as the meeting opened. Several protesters were forced out, including a woman who was carried, and a recess was called. The room was calm once the meeting resumed.

Protesters had planned to disrupt the City Council meeting, where members were expected to approve demolishing dozens of buildings—a move that would open racial and class divisions.

The council chambers seat less than 300. Once capacity was reached, people who were not permitted into chambers marched and chanted. Eventually violence broke out.

The City Council vote is a critical moment in a protracted fight between the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and residents, activists and preservationists.

HUD wants to demolish the buildings, most of them damaged by Hurricane Katrina, so developers can take advantage of tax credits and build new mixed-income neighborhoods.

The council's approval of the demolition is required under the city's charter.

HUD says the redevelopment, in the works before Katrina hit, will mark an end to the city's failed public housing experiment that lumped the poor into crime-ridden complexes and marooned them outside the life of the rest of the city.

But critics say the plan will shrink the stock of cheap housing at a time when housing is scarce and drive poor blacks out of the city. They also say the buildings are, contrary to popular opinion, mostly handsome brick structures that will outlast anything HUD builds in their place.

A news release from the Coalition to Stop the Demolition, one of several groups organizing protesters, characterized the pending action as a "rubber stamp" at a "sham meeting."

"It is beyond callous, and can only be seen as malicious discrimination. It is an unabashed attempt to eliminate the black population of New Orleans," said Kali Akuno, an organizer with the group.

A recent shake-up on the seven-member City Council turned it into a majority white chamber for the first time since the 1980s, a shift that will certainly make the vote even more racially charged.

Three of the council's white members were quick to say they supported the tear-down plan, while the council's three black members were hesitant about expressing their intentions.

One black member, Cynthia Hedge Morrell, issued a statement late Wednesday in favor of demolitions. The fourth white member, Council President Arnie Fielkow, has been careful to tread the middle ground, but a spokeswoman said Thursday he supports demolition.

"It's not racist and it's truly not a done deal behind the scenes," said Jacquelyn Brechtel Clarkson, a newly elected councilmember-at- large, about the council's pending vote. ___

Okla-homey
That's it!

Point taken. And you know I love you like a brother (well, at least a first cousin, in a manly platonic kinda way) BUT...this happened in the Crescent City today (see below)

Now, I realize there is prolly far more to this story than what's being reported, but why in the name of all that's holy would people protest demo. of ratty, nasty, moldy, damaged tenements for replacement by new, mixed-income housing develoments, thus adding a bit of homogeniety to the social stata down your way and puuting the poor in spiffy new digs?

It just seems to this Okie it would generally be a good thing to spread the poor folks around some.

NEW ORLEANS (AP) - Police used chemical spray and stun guns Thursday as dozens of protesters seeking to halt the demolition of 4,500 public housing units tried to force their way through an iron gate at City Hall.
One woman was sprayed with chemicals and dragged from the gates. She was taken away on a stretcher by emergency officials. Before that, the woman was seen pouring water from a bottle into her eyes and weeping.

Another woman said she was stunned by officers, and still had what appeared to be a Taser wire hanging from her shirt.

"I was just standing, trying to get into my City Council meeting," said the woman, Kim Ellis.

Inside, a scuffle also occurred in the City Council chambers as the meeting opened. Several protesters were forced out, including a woman who was carried, and a recess was called. The room was calm once the meeting resumed.

Protesters had planned to disrupt the City Council meeting, where members were expected to approve demolishing dozens of buildings—a move that would open racial and class divisions.

The council chambers seat less than 300. Once capacity was reached, people who were not permitted into chambers marched and chanted. Eventually violence broke out.

The City Council vote is a critical moment in a protracted fight between the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and residents, activists and preservationists.

HUD wants to demolish the buildings, most of them damaged by Hurricane Katrina, so developers can take advantage of tax credits and build new mixed-income neighborhoods.

HUD says the redevelopment, in the works before Katrina hit, will mark an end to the city's failed public housing experiment that lumped the poor into crime-ridden complexes and marooned them outside the life of the rest of the city.

But critics say the plan will shrink the stock of cheap housing at a time when housing is scarce and drive poor blacks out of the city. They also say the buildings are, contrary to popular opinion, mostly handsome brick structures that will outlast anything HUD builds in their place.

A news release from the Coalition to Stop the Demolition, one of several groups organizing protesters, characterized the pending action as a "rubber stamp" at a "sham meeting."

"It is beyond callous, and can only be seen as malicious discrimination. It is an unabashed attempt to eliminate the black population of New Orleans," said Kali Akuno, an organizer with the group.

A recent shake-up on the seven-member City Council turned it into a majority white chamber for the first time since the 1980s, a shift that will certainly make the vote even more racially charged.

Three of the council's white members were quick to say they supported the tear-down plan, while the council's three black members were hesitant about expressing their intentions.

One black member, Cynthia Hedge Morrell, issued a statement late Wednesday in favor of demolitions. The fourth white member, Council President Arnie Fielkow, has been careful to tread the middle ground, but a spokeswoman said Thursday he supports demolition.

"It's not racist and it's truly not a done deal behind the scenes," said Jacquelyn Brechtel Clarkson, a newly elected councilmember-at- large, about the council's pending vote. ___

Okla-homey
That's it!

Now, I realize there is prolly far more to this story than what's being reported, but why in the name of all that's holy would people protest demo. of ratty, nasty, moldy, damaged tenements for replacement by new, mixed-income housing develoments, thus adding a bit of homogeniety to the social stata down your way and putting the poor in spiffy and safer new digs?

GottaHavePride
12/20/2007, 07:29 PM
Teh trippel post!

TUSooner
12/20/2007, 07:30 PM

Now, I realize there is prolly far more to this story than what's being reported, but why in the name of all that's holy would people protest demo. of ratty, nasty, moldy, damaged tenements for replacement by new, mixed-income housing develoments, thus adding a bit of homogeniety to the social stata down your way and putting the poor in spiffy and safer new digs?

___

Homey, my friend, I truly do appreciate your concern. No joke, bro, it's most heartening to me.

That protest movement has been ongoing since Katrina.
Bill Quigley, the self-appointed crusading "protector of the downtrodden," who was one of my law school profs, is a kindly fella, no doubt. But I decided long ago that he is a great ENABLER of poverty. He will spare no expense - of someone else's - to do whatever seems like the noble thing to do for poor folks regardless whether it simpy [erpetuates dependence.
He seems to take Jesus's remark that, "You will always have the poor..." as a commandment rather than an observation.

I and 97.8% of the citizenry are baffled as to why these people are so insistent on returning to the bad old days. I think it's all symbolic; they want attention. New Orleans actually has a SURPLUS of public housing ! Most NOLAns know these folks are, umm... "misguided."

The funny thing is that a friend of mine reported that most of the demonstrators were college-age Quigley-ites. A bunch of little Che Guevaras strutting their self-righteous stuff. They are enamored by the IDEA of "doing something for the poor." And like Quigley, they will spare no expense (of someone else's) to make their stand! Silly kids. I'm glad my daughter is much more interested in learning about sound economics and REAL betterment of the plight of disadvantaged mankind than in empty shows.

The good news of all this is that the City Council may actually have the backbone to resist the mob and demolish the old projects. If that happens, the news is good, no matter what the mob says.

Okla-homey
12/21/2007, 07:04 AM
NPR is reporting this morning the "citizens filibuster" failed. The council voted in favor of HUD bulldozers. Yay.

BTW, the NOLA Housing Authority was taken over by the feds in 2002 because the local government had proven incapable of managing the projects. In a place where poverty is a multi-generational birthright, local officials should have been up to the task IMHO.

NormanPride
12/21/2007, 08:33 AM
It's sad that a once fairly well-regarded town has crumbled so epically in the minds of the public due to a natural disaster. My experiences there were mostly nice. I enjoyed the atmosphere, I actually enjoyed the game quite a bit, and I mostly ignored the debauchery. It was also where badger confessed she had a huge crush on me. :D

But ever since Katrina, the noise out of NOLA has been nothing but whining and troublemaking. The normally silent chaff of society have been given a great big bullhorn with which to blare their grievances upon society at large. On top of that, my mother (and elementary school teacher) has to deal with their horrid educational system as thousands of refugees continue to pack the San Antonio schools. These children are poorly trained as students, unfortunately neglected as children, and do nothing but take it out on the rest of their students, as their parents have set an excellent example.

NOLA needs quiet time. Its people need to disappear from the front pages where their existence in sheltering cities has caused crime rates to skyrocket. It needs a great PR campaign to start restoring the once-acceptable image of an American cultural mecca. Hopefully then it will be able to concentrate on rebuilding.

I have no idea where all that came from.

TUSooner
12/21/2007, 09:34 AM
Yep, the good news, small though it be, is that the City Council voted UNANIMOUSLY to proceed with the demolitions.

It's a small step in the right direction. The unanimity was key; it took the race joker out of the deck.

The REAL rebuilding is rebuilding gubment institutions with integrity and competence. That's the hard stuff, but it just might be starting to happen.