PDA

View Full Version : Transfers

okienole3
12/19/2007, 09:51 PM
I thought I heard something on the Sports Enema today about someone transferring. Anyone know anything about this?

Watch Me Stride
12/19/2007, 09:56 PM
http://vaderno.ytmnd.com/

sooneron
12/19/2007, 10:10 PM
Rawls?

I got nuthin

goingoneight
12/19/2007, 10:17 PM
I'm transferring my files to a flash drive if that means anything.

Paperclip
12/19/2007, 10:25 PM
They were discussing the possibility of Nichol transferring. Didn't say he was.

okienole3
12/19/2007, 10:35 PM
They were discussing the possibility of Nichol transferring. Didn't say he was.

I heard that part. But before that I heard something about Brandon Crow, the kid out of Comanche.

Paperclip
12/19/2007, 10:51 PM
I heard that part. But before that I heard something about Brandon Crow, the kid out of Comanche.

Oh. Nevermind.

http://img.snlarc.jt.org/pics/char/GiRa-Emily%20Litella.jpg

goingoneight
12/19/2007, 11:07 PM
It's really sad if Nichol bails. He for sure has talent, and he saw first hand what happened to Sam by freak accident. I'm sure with a hard-nosed work ethic, he could unseat Halzle easily with his natural talent. He was just way too green to put on the field this year. If Utah State was giving him fits, he would have definitely struggled had Sammy been out and no JH to sub in.

LittleWingSooner
12/19/2007, 11:08 PM
From what I've read Nichols loves OU so much he'll stick it out all 4/5 years.

Watch Me Stride
12/19/2007, 11:09 PM
Brandon Crow is a freshman, right? If he transfers that just shows that he doesn't think he can compete with our talent. He should stay and see if he can win the job first.

illinisooner
12/19/2007, 11:20 PM
I doubt Crow transfers, linebacker is one spot we won't have alot of depth in.

Crucifax Autumn
12/20/2007, 12:06 AM
One thing we know for certain, just about anyone on the team that transfers to any other school would likely be a starter, star, and best player on the team there!

sooneron
12/20/2007, 12:07 AM
Nichol would be smart to stick around. Halzle is gone after next year. You never know...

Crucifax Autumn
12/20/2007, 02:25 AM
I don't see either transferring right away, but at least one would be wise to sit out the season or consider pulling a Paul Thompson and doing whatever the team needs of him...perhaps playing another position and giving us the trick play option with a talented QB in the game, but not behind center.

sooner59
12/20/2007, 02:40 AM
I don't see Nichol playing another position. I think he redshirts next year while we still have Halzle as a back-up. Then he would be a redshirt sophomore while Bradford is a junior. That way, he has at least 1 year if SB goes pro as a JR. and 2 years if he leaves afters his SR. year. And there is always the possibility of an injury (God forbid). Being at this school still give him a great opportunity of getting his name out there and being noticed. I bet he stays (and hope he does as well).

Crucifax Autumn
12/20/2007, 03:02 AM
I hope so!

KingDavid
12/20/2007, 06:50 AM
I think the coaching staff kind of hosed Nichol by burning his RS this year for something like 2 plays I think it was. I was disappointed we didn't see more of him, especially in Lubbuck when Halzle was looking like the poster child for back-up quarterbacks for the first three quarters.

okienole3
12/20/2007, 07:48 AM
I think the coaching staff kind of hosed Nichol by burning his RS this year for something like 2 plays I think it was. I was disappointed we didn't see more of him, especially in Lubbuck when Halzle was looking like the poster child for back-up quarterbacks for the first three quarters.

Maybe he should have played more, but it was best for him to redshirt. If he stays at OU, he can always redshirt another year and if he decides to transfer, he has his redshirt year to use the year he sits out.

jk the sooner fan
12/20/2007, 07:51 AM
Nichol may consider a transfer once Landry Jones gets into town

Sooner_Bob
12/20/2007, 08:04 AM
Nichol may consider a transfer once Landry Jones gets into town

I watched a couple of his highlight videos on youtube . . . wow, either he's that good or NM high schools aren't.

When we lived out there I only watched one HS game and Farmington wasn't that great. I think it was the year Justin Fuente and Union went out there and beat them pretty bad (or Farmington went to Union).

OU4LIFE
12/20/2007, 08:58 AM
Dude, he's that good. He'll also be playing in the Army all american game Jan. 5th or 8th, whenever it is. Check him out.

If Nichols is transferring, Jones would be the reason. The kid has skills to burn. Nichol staying and having Landry and him both behind Bradford would create some GREAT QB competition.

toast
12/20/2007, 09:31 AM
I think it was traber just trying to stir the pot with the Nichol stuff. Isn't Alex Cate at osu in the same situation behind Robinson (other than Cate redshirted in '06), yet traber never mentions him? I think it's just his osu subconcious wanting Nichol to transfer.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/20/2007, 09:49 AM
Dude, he's that good. He'll also be playing in the Army all american game Jan. 5th or 8th, whenever it is. Check him out.

If Nichols is transferring, Jones would be the reason. The kid has skills to burn. Nichol staying and having Landry and him both behind Bradford would create some GREAT QB competition.

From what I watched of Landry Jones in the ESPN broadcast of his game he is a freaking beast. Strong arm, big and runs real well. It is a bit of a pity that barring injury to Bradford that Nichol and Jones probably will not see the field much for 3 more years.

It's not really been the style of OU's offense under Stoops but it would be nice to see either Nichol or Jones used in some situations similar to how Tebow was used in 2006.

Maybe Nichol really likes it here but I can't see him simply being content as a RS next year and then a back-up for Bradford for the next couple years before potentially competing with Jones for the starting spot his senior year. A pity because I think if he leaves he will be a stud somewhere.

Injuries happen though so Nichol will always be one play away from getting his shot. Good teams need 2-3 good QBs but it is tough to get good ones that are content to wait.

OUmillenium
12/20/2007, 10:27 AM
Landry dominated in the HS game I saw on ESPN. Great athlete for a quarterback of his size.

We played his HS baseball team in a tournament in Pheonix last Spring Break. I'm gonna go look at the stats and see if he played. I'm sure if he was on the team he was a stud, just don't remember. I was too busy trying to figure out their "signs" as they were verbal number combos rather than physical signs. Like "4-9-1"...always 3 numbers.

No teams around OK that we have played do this.

The above is an example of a true digression. That is all.

usmc-sooner
12/20/2007, 10:48 AM
I think Sam Bradford is going to transfer

texas bandman
12/20/2007, 10:52 AM
I think Sam Bradford is going to transfer

:eek:

stoopified
12/20/2007, 11:13 AM
I'd leave Halzle as the backup next year and redshirt Nichol and Jones.I think Nichol played this year because he wanted to,coaches usually leave the decision to redshirt up to the player.They tell them it isn't likely you will get meaningful minutes this season and we want to redshirt you.The decison is left to the player after that.

jk the sooner fan
12/20/2007, 11:40 AM

yep

SOONER STEAKER
12/20/2007, 12:13 PM
Stoopified has the right idea about redshirting Kid Nichol and Tom/Landry Jones. Halzle isn't as bad as he has been advertised from last spring. When we go on the road next season, do you travel 4 QB's? (Bradford, Halzle, Nichol & Jones)

Since Jomes is coming in at semester, will he travel with the team to the Fiesta Bowl?

usmc-sooner
12/20/2007, 12:14 PM
not saying Jones isn't the real deal but I'd wait till he does something in college before I crown him.

I've seen HS football in New Mexico and the talent level was not there. Having said that the only HS's I've seen play were Farmington, Shiprock, and Aztec.

OU4LIFE
12/20/2007, 01:52 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm not crowning him, I'm just saying that coming out of HS he's better than anyone we have on the roster was when they came out.

So his potential is quite good.

jk the sooner fan
12/20/2007, 02:13 PM
i think he's going to seriously push SB for a starting job in a year or so

usmc-sooner
12/20/2007, 02:34 PM
I think starts for the New England Patriots in 3 years, after breaking Ron Powlus's record for Heisman Trophies. :D

I hope he's as good as advertised.

TMcGee86
12/20/2007, 06:15 PM
not saying Jones isn't the real deal but I'd wait till he does something in college before I crown him.

IF YOU WANT TO CROWN HIS ***, CROWN HIM!!!11

usmc-sooner
12/20/2007, 06:35 PM
IF YOU WANT TO CROWN HIS ***, CROWN HIM!!!11

I waited all day for that one. Finally someone got it.

Desert Sapper
12/20/2007, 09:27 PM
If Jones redshirts next year, he would be a RS Sophomore or Junior when Bradford leaves. Would that be bad in any possible way? As much luck as we have had with freshmen under center, Juniors and Seniors are typically much better than underclassmen. I would like to see Sam play at his 2007 level or higher for the next 2-3 years, make a big paycheck and have either a Junior/Senior in Nichol or a Sophomore/Junior in Jones ready to take the reigns. Building a QB tradition will be what gets Josh Heupel hired as a head coach somewhere (that and excelling ultimately as an OC).

MiccoMacey
12/20/2007, 11:30 PM
I'd leave Halzle as the backup next year and redshirt Nichol and Jones...
I thought Halzle was a senior.

OU-HSV
12/20/2007, 11:31 PM
I thought Halzle was a senior.
No, Halzle comes back as a senior though

goingoneight
12/21/2007, 12:04 AM
I have no question as to how talented a player is if Stoops and his staff evaluate them and sign them. Sometimes we get some duds, it happens... but how many people ripped DeMarco Murray because he "didn't play Texas ball" and how many people judged Sam Bradford because fo his high school stats.

The game is much different when you go from throwing it to your high school buddies to throwing it to Malcom Kelly, Mark Clayton, etc. Same could be said for handing it off to some no-name, versus handing it off to Adrian Peterson with an OL that averages 330 lbs a guy.

That said, I like what I saw of Keith Nichol, he was just really not mentally ready to step in this year. He has a cool quick release, incredible velocity and spiral on his passes and he can run the ball if the coverages break down. He looks right now like I'd imagine Sam looked last year when Bomar got ousted. Talented, calm kid... just not up to snuff mentally. It happens. That position requires a lot of know-how and maturity you can't just expect immediately. Even Sam is miles ahead of the typical freshmen quarterback and he's two years in, now.

Crucifax Autumn
12/21/2007, 01:58 AM
You didn't hear that DeMarco crap outta me...the kids playing any sport at Bishop Gorman High School are the real deal and when OU comes calling them I know they are the cream of the crop at that school.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/21/2007, 04:37 AM
Let me see, we have Bradford who has 3 more years to play,
We have Halzle who has one more (I thought he was gone...)
We have Nichols who has 3 more years + 1 RS to use (too bad he ONLY played in a couple of plays! [soapbox on] The one complaint I have with Stoops' plan is that he rarely gives the backups time in game, could have help against TT this year.[/soapbox off]
And we got this stud guy from NM who will have 4 to play plus a RS.

Sounds like a good stable for the future.

Want to transfer, remember the guys that transferred after Bomar?

PLaw
12/21/2007, 08:38 AM
[QUOTE=Sooner_Bob]I watched a couple of his highlight videos on youtube . . . wow, either he's that good or NM high schools aren't. QUOTE]

I grew up 60 miles due East of Artesia. In general, the latter is true. That said, there have been some darn good players come out of that area. Namely, Brian Urlacher comes to mind.

BOOMER