PDA

View Full Version : Whereby my chances of staying in the US after this job are decreased

Ike
12/19/2007, 02:04 PM
http://www.kcchronicle.com/articles/2007/12/19/news/local/doc4768b6d4e621b933264204.txt

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

There is an "all hands" meeting here tomorrow morning where the lab director will discuss what this may or may not mean for us. They haven't made any firm decisions on what will happen if this passes, but whatever the case, it will probably be bad.

What does this mean for me? Well, it means that I'll be able to stay here until the Tevatron shuts down, and then I'll book over to Geneva to play with the LHC for a while. That much was already in the plan. But afterward, if I want to stay in this field, the likelihood that I'll be able to do so in the US will be pretty slim. The hope was that the ILC would come here, and I could work on that. But with the R&D budget slashed so much for it, I doubt that it will be here, if it ever comes into existence at all.

Oh, and this bit from the article makes me madder:

Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., said he is unhappy about funding for physics, putting the blame on the White House.

“The Democratic budget rejected by the president would have funded Fermilab’s programs,” Durbin said in an e-mail statement. “But, the president and his Republican allies in Congress refused to fund those programs and we were left with stark choices – reduce funding for high-end physics or cut money for veterans; reduce spending at Fermilab or eliminate funding for rural hospitals.”

Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., also blamed Bush. The Associated Press reported Obama was campaigning in Iowa on Tuesday.

“Unfortunately, the Bush Administration has put politics above the interests of the American people, and these drastic funding cuts are the consequence,” Obama said in an e-mail statement.

So what they are saying is: "we were willing to fund at the requested levels, but because the prez didn't like all the extra **** we put in the budget, we decided to cut a lot of the things he likes to make room for the extra **** we wanted"

jackholes. All of them.

OUDoc
12/19/2007, 02:10 PM
jackholes. All of them.
Yup.
Sorry, Ike. Good luck.

jeremy885
12/19/2007, 03:44 PM
My company always needs CDL drivers, if the whole discover how the universe works jig doesn't work out. ;)

Ike
12/19/2007, 03:47 PM
My company always needs CDL drivers, if the whole discover how the universe works jig doesn't work out. ;)

I would think that this would be a bad career move...being that I have a very strong background in collisions. ;)

jeremy885
12/19/2007, 03:50 PM
You would fit in fine here then :(

olevetonahill
12/19/2007, 03:53 PM
I would think that this would be a bad career move...being that I have a very strong background in collisions. ;)
Insurance adjuster then , Sheesh you brainy types .

Ike
12/19/2007, 03:54 PM
Insurance adjuster then , Sheesh you brainy types .

I thought that required a complete absence of morality?

;)

yermom
12/19/2007, 04:02 PM
that sucks Ike

i'm sure the Chinese will pick up the slack ;)

OUDoc
12/19/2007, 04:15 PM
Then the SO needs to build a particle accelerator for you.
I'm in for $20.

olevetonahill
12/19/2007, 04:16 PM
I thought that required a complete absence of morality?

;)
No, your thinking of attorneys . :D

Howzit
12/19/2007, 04:59 PM
I'm in for $20.

I'll match that if you'll take a post-dated check.

Sorry, Ike.

Mjcpr
12/19/2007, 05:00 PM
Wait until we get this server paid off.

OUinFLA
12/19/2007, 06:41 PM
Im in for $10
make it $20 if you can create a collision in my lifetime.

that sucks Ike, perhaps you should have been an orchestra conductor.
That doesnt take any of my tax dollars does it?

OKC-SLC
12/19/2007, 06:44 PM
I'm in for $20.
I can't afford to chip in, but we can build it on my patio.

SicEmBaylor
12/19/2007, 07:25 PM
Out.
I prefer the simplicity of the Middle Ages.
Sorry Ike.

GottaHavePride
12/19/2007, 07:40 PM
I'm in for $50 if I can be in charge of mis-using the collider for personal gain.

SleestakSooner
12/19/2007, 07:56 PM
I'm in for $50 if I can be in charge of mis-using the collider for personal gain.

Bumping uglies? :D

Rhino
12/19/2007, 08:13 PM
I learned much more than a graphic artist should know about the LHC yesterday. And I got to talk with people at CERN all day yesterday and today.

Good luck, Ike.

OCUDad
12/19/2007, 08:50 PM
I'm in for $20.Dean does a great deal of particle acceleration, or so I've heard. He could probably also arrange a collision or two. Maybe he could help you.

I'll match OUDoc's contribution.

Mixer!
12/19/2007, 08:55 PM
Anybody got a spare flux capacitor or two?

olevetonahill
12/19/2007, 08:58 PM
When I 1st saw the thread Title I thot Ike was maybe an Illegal and was gonna get sent back across the river .

OCUDad
12/19/2007, 11:18 PM
He's immoral, not illegal. Pay attention.

Whet
12/19/2007, 11:38 PM
so, nothing at Argonne that would work for you?

Ike
12/20/2007, 12:06 AM
so, nothing at Argonne that would work for you?
Argonne is alright, but they don't really do the kind of things I'm interested in.

Ike
12/20/2007, 12:13 AM
I learned much more than a graphic artist should know about the LHC yesterday. And I got to talk with people at CERN all day yesterday and today.

Good luck, Ike.
The LHC is an awesome machine. They are going to blow us out of the water in terms of ultra-high energy stuff. However, we (The Tevatron...at some point 'we' for me will be the LHC.) will still be able to beat them to the punch on a few results I think, as we have a reliable, working, well-understood machine to work with, and they have no idea what they are going to get when they turn on. ...it will take them about a year or so to get a decent understanding of their machine and come out with the groundbreaking results people eventually will expect from them. During that time, we'll still have the best results in the game...but it will be a small window for us.

OUDoc
12/20/2007, 08:54 AM
We've got like $60 pledged and a patio to build it on.
I've got some tools, if Olevet brings the beer, you've got yourself a particle accelerator-matron.

Turd_Ferguson
12/20/2007, 08:59 AM
When I 1st saw the thread Title I thot Ike was maybe an Illegal and was gonna get sent back across the river .
Cue Sanjuaquinesooner in 5,4,3....:D

Oh, and I'm in for at least half a million.....just got an email from a guy in zimbabwe that wants to hook me up just to launder his money.....and before you knock it, keep in mind his dad is royalty.

Okla-homey
12/20/2007, 09:13 AM
I'm in for 50.00 if you can figure out that cold fusion thing.

OklahomaTuba
12/20/2007, 09:40 AM
Sorry to hear about that. Maybe a private concern will pick the project up??

Interesting how the donks get into power and in the first year start stripping away the funding for science.

OCUDad
12/20/2007, 12:18 PM
Thank you, Tuba, for the usual injection of tin-foil-hat partisan politics into what was an interesting and amusing thread before your hot air showed up.

usmc-sooner
12/20/2007, 12:27 PM
If you can make a girl like wierd science, I'll contribute. I'll PM you the specs

IB4OU2
12/20/2007, 12:27 PM
Just leave an upper decker in the Tevatron before you leave....that'll show'em. :mad:

OCUDad
12/20/2007, 12:45 PM
I'll match that if you'll take a post-dated check.
make it $20 if you can create a collision in my lifetime.
I'm in for 50.00 if you can figure out that cold fusion thing.
With all these special interests putting conditions on funding, it’s no wonder Ike’s not getting any (money, that is).

Ike
12/20/2007, 01:21 PM
Sorry to hear about that. Maybe a private concern will pick the project up??
Highly doubtful. They are exploring other avenues of funding, but there are very few (if any at all) private entities that will fund undirected research, where the important thing is getting the results out to the public. Entities like Bell Labs are a thing of the past....even though it does still exist, it's nowhere near the beacon of scientific awesomeness that it used to be.