PDA

View Full Version : Chris Knight vs Prof Jerry Hathaway - Part Deaux

KC//CRIMSON
12/18/2007, 10:55 PM
"Real Genius" - The Sequel

It looks like Val Kilmer will be Chris Knight once again! Kilmer has reportedly signed on to star in a sequel to the 1985 comedy, 'Real Genius'.

Hmmm...did I hear a defeaning silence? I should be hearing wild cheering! Seriously!

'Real Genius' was, well, pure genius. It perfectly captured the feel of a high pressure, high-level academic environment, shrewdly packaged as a teen comedy. Admittedly, as I was a freshman in an Aerospace Engineering program when I first saw this movie, I am a bit biased. Still, the genius of the first movie was not in the plot, but in the characters - I saw bits my classmates in Chris, Mitch, Jordan, Lazlo and the other characters. The scene where a student cracks while studying for an exam and runs from the table is classic. The rest of the students look up, pause, and then resume studying like nothing out of the ordinary happened.

So, can a sequel work? Obviously, making a sequel to a cult movie twenty years after the fact is pretty risky. It might be better just to re-do the original movie with Kilmer as a professor, but not reprising his original role. The new young stars could keep the flavor of the original (it would be "It's a moral imperative!"), but the campus lifestyles could be updated to present day. It could work.

In any case, this is probably a good move for Kilmer. It was reported that his intentions were "...to take on more comedic roles in the future in a bid to alter his Hollywood image and take his career to a new level". I don't know about "a new level", but he clearly has comedic skills (see 'Real Genius', 'Top Secret', and even some scenes in 'Willow'). I don't expect him to become a Leslie Nielson, but he could do quite well in the genre. As an obvious fan, I hope he succeeds - and, that the sequel doesn't suck.

http://www.filmfodder.com/scifi/archives/2007/01/real_genius.shtml

Boarder
12/18/2007, 11:18 PM
I don't know, man. I really really like Real Genius. It's one of my favorites of all time. I still find myself saying lines from it in my everyday life. (The other day I told someone that I keep all my filth in alphabetical order).

It really seems like a one time only movie. I guess we'll see.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/18/2007, 11:27 PM
Call me for the Top Secret sequel

Scott D
12/19/2007, 10:13 AM
Yeah, I gotta think it'd be nice to see Kilmer as Knight being part of academia, and being reminded of his roots by a younger person.

mdklatt
12/19/2007, 10:18 AM
Most. Out of the blue. Sequel. EVER!

Paperclip
12/19/2007, 11:11 AM
I drank what?

Side note: Lazlo was played by the same guy who played Uncle Rico in Napolean Dynamite.

Phil
12/19/2007, 02:54 PM
Awe. Some.

KC//CRIMSON
12/19/2007, 03:18 PM
Val Kilmer as "The Sherpa" as "Chris Knight" would be perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNMJ61ysuhY&feature=related

the_ouskull
12/19/2007, 03:45 PM
I can't watch YouTube at work, but I'm assuming that you're talking about his cameo on Entourage? Good stuff, there...

the_ouskull

KC//CRIMSON
12/19/2007, 03:53 PM
I can't watch YouTube at work, but I'm assuming that you're talking about his cameo on Entourage? Good stuff, there...

the_ouskull

http://www.hbo.com/entourage/img/90x94/guest_stars/season01/ep05_kilmer.jpg We're not getting stoned, we're getting honed.