PDA

View Full Version : N*O*S* - not... our.... standard?

47straight
12/18/2007, 09:10 PM
Sorry to post this, but it is the big news item today here in Austin. Mack was tired of hearing only about the hoops team I guess.

http://www.news8austin.com/content/sports/?ArID=196810&SecID=5

Bowl foes beware: the horns are doing up-downs when they screw up. As in all of them. The whole team. Brown visited a junior high school practice and discovered the tactic.

Apparently for the longhorns, every starting position is up for grabs. And they are taking the Holiday Bowl seriously, as a business trip.

"I'm very ready. I don't care about Disney World, I don't care about all this other stuff, I'm just ready to play. San Diego is a business trip for us, in most of our eyes, because obviously we didn't end the way we wanted to," said Brian Orakpo.

Very noble, young man. Too bad the bowl is San Diego, not Orlando (or even LA for Disneyland) for that sacrifice to really mean something.

NOS is the new motto adopted by the team. Not our standard. It's a motto that pushes the horns to do their best every single play, or suffer the consequences.

Umm, this would have been useful, say, 9 years ago for them.

sanantoniosooner
12/18/2007, 09:12 PM
I hope that works out like "Finish" did.

47straight
12/18/2007, 09:23 PM

I don't hope they get a Big 12 Championship.

sanantoniosooner
12/18/2007, 09:25 PM
I don't hope they get a Big 12 Championship.
you were finished after that?

They have pills for PE.

47straight
12/18/2007, 09:29 PM
you were finished after that?

They have pills for PE.

Well, I hope they don't beat us either.

Thanks for the info - how much do you pay for yours?

sanantoniosooner
12/18/2007, 09:30 PM
I just put a poster of Hillary on the wall.

No pills needed.

stunandun
12/18/2007, 09:32 PM
They could pull out the T-shirts with heart on them. Then we're doomed.

Stitch Face
12/18/2007, 09:39 PM
He's going to put the guys out there on the field that's going to give us a chance to win

Mack's going to start playing his best players for each position?

Damn. Dude's getting serious.

47straight
12/18/2007, 09:40 PM
I just put a poster of Hillary on the wall.

No pills needed.

Heh. I assume not the old-run-down-look being splashed across drudge, but the vivacious, 93-gonna-turn-around-health-care-plan one.

soonerboomer93
12/18/2007, 09:42 PM
so what?

no watching of legally blonde on their flight to san diego?

sanantoniosooner
12/18/2007, 09:43 PM
If this doesn't stop PE, nothing will.
http://albanysinsanity.wnymedia.net/blogs/files/2007/08/scary-hillary-clinton.thumbnail.jpg

Stitch Face
12/18/2007, 09:47 PM

My wife bought us a couple of those bracelets. Her heart was in the right place.

OKC-SLC
12/18/2007, 09:49 PM
http://albanysinsanity.wnymedia.net/blogs/files/2007/08/scary-hillary-clinton.thumbnail.jpg
In.

As in, I just threw up 'in' my mouth.

47straight
12/18/2007, 10:48 PM
If this doesn't stop PE, nothing will.

TFF.

goingoneight
12/18/2007, 11:06 PM
If Texass could win every game except for that one in Dallas every year, or in some cases, drop a loss or two to help us out... I'd be okay with them. But those little bastards never respect OUr authoritah and obey OUr requests.

swardboy
12/18/2007, 11:14 PM
If Texass could win every game except for that one in Dallas every year, or in some cases, drop a loss or two to help us out... I'd be okay with them. But those little bastards never respect OUr authoritah and obey OUr requests.

Don't mess with OUr authoritah! :D

KantoSooner
12/18/2007, 11:33 PM
I'm personally holding out some slim hope that we might beat UT next year: the article said nothing about weights or film.

Oops, sorry to have revealed our deep, dark secrets of success.

47straight
12/18/2007, 11:42 PM
In the interests of fairness and full disclosure, most of the longhorn callers into the sports talk radio shows were nonplussed.

Crucifax Autumn
12/19/2007, 01:31 AM
Well, I hope they win huge in the Holiday Bowl and hope they get 9-10 win seasons every year...But I hate them and hope they never beat us again. I also won't cry if they ever have a losing season as long as the rest of the South is strong enough to make up for it. We need them to be the second or third best in the nation both when we beat them and when we're on top of the Big 12 heading into the BCS championship every year.

Jacie
12/19/2007, 06:56 AM
So it only took em 11 games to decide to play football this year and really, really try to win (I am allowing that they really, really tried to beat OU this year, a game that even whorns admit was their best play all year).

fadada1
12/19/2007, 09:20 AM
better late than never.... i suppose.

i've always been a "quote" kind of guy. i like the "daring greatly" speech from teddy roosavelt. but i've never been a slogan guy. slogans are just excuses for sucking.

rainiersooner
12/19/2007, 10:14 AM
Mack always sounds like such a wet towel when he talks.

Scott D
12/19/2007, 10:17 AM
Orakpo plans on being first in line for Sea World. You know, since they aren't going to Disney or anything.

TexasLidig8r
12/19/2007, 10:40 AM

i've always been a "quote" kind of guy. i like the "daring greatly" speech from teddy roosavelt. but i've never been a slogan guy. slogans are just excuses for sucking.

You mean this one...?

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

And a great quote it is...

And another of my favorites...

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

soonerinabilene
12/19/2007, 10:45 AM
I hate lawyers, what with their fancy schoolin and huge vocabulary and ability to remember long a$$ quotes that have nothing to do with up and downs or mouth herpes. oooh, i told you.

MextheBulldog
12/19/2007, 11:25 AM
What's up with the 6am practice start time?

"My name is Colt," he said. "And I had one too many NOSs."

fadada1
12/19/2007, 11:44 AM
You mean this one...?

close. this is the one. i have it on a small piece of paper in my wallet. been there about 12 years. always reminds me of a time in my life. didn't reach that particular goal, but i know that about 99.9999% of the world will never be able to say they even tried.

“It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.”

Teddy Roosevelt, speaking at the Sorbonne in Paris, April 23, 1910

OUmillenium
12/19/2007, 11:56 AM
Mack just makes it all too easy for us to make fun of their "standards".

He should give himself the assist.

RedstickSooner
12/19/2007, 12:33 PM
I'm pretty sure N.O.S. is already taken: It means "New Old Stock"

Typically goods which sat in a warehouse for a decade or two, or in a storeroom, were then rediscovered, and are now offered for sale.

So, N.O.S. would mean they've decided the solution to their woes is to seek out old high school stars who somehow have eligibility left but never played.

I'm guessing it wasn't a middle school Mack saw. It was "Necessary Roughness".

MiccoMacey
12/19/2007, 12:37 PM
Take Back San Diego!!!!

MiccoMacey
12/19/2007, 12:39 PM
You mean this one...

There once was a man from Nantucket...

:D

Animal Mother
12/19/2007, 01:03 PM
My quote for inspiration:

"Texas sucks!!!"

Every Sooner Fan Everywhere

stoopified
12/19/2007, 04:33 PM
Well, I hope they win huge in the Holiday Bowl and hope they get 9-10 win seasons every year...But I hate them and hope they never beat us again. I also won't cry if they ever have a losing season as long as the rest of the South is strong enough to make up for it. We need them to be the second or third best in the nation both when we beat them and when we're on top of the Big 12 heading into the BCS championship every year.In THE BIG PICTURE you are right BUT I still want can NOT root for UT except vs. T.Boone State.

Leroy Lizard
12/19/2007, 05:54 PM
Orakpo plans on being first in line for Sea World.

As a spectator or as Shamu's backup?

Crucifax Autumn
12/20/2007, 03:27 AM
He's just gonna babble Jabba the Hutt style poolside as he eats live food.

SoonerinSouthlake
12/23/2007, 01:16 PM
After dropping 3 straight to us he turned over one of these "new leafs" if you will recall. I believe it was in 2003 when he closed his spring practices and starting telling his team that the "Oklahoma game is won in the spring" to get the whorns focused on a big year to come.

The result:

65-13....Sooners play for the MNC

Count me in with this new one too!

Tulsa_Fireman
12/23/2007, 07:20 PM
“It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.”

Teddy Roosevelt, speaking at the Sorbonne in Paris, April 23, 1910

Dude. That's deep.

Seriously. That's some good sh*t. I'm gonna write that one down myself.

utex74
12/23/2007, 11:41 PM
In the interests of fairness and full disclosure, most of the longhorn callers into the sports talk radio shows were nonplussed.

We're "nonplussed" because some form of accountability should have been in place in September, not after we lose to aggy for the second time. BTW, this form of drill was installed in 2004 by Dick Tomey when he was co-defensive coordinator and used through the 2005 season. It was discontinued in 2006 until these bowl preps. Practices are also supposedly much tougher than they were all season. We'll see.

If we beat ASU we will be "nonplussed" that practices were not changed months ago, or ever got away from 2004-5. Good thinking. If something works, let's discontinue it. :mad:

Stitch Face
12/23/2007, 11:50 PM
Practices are also supposedly much tougher than they were all season. We'll see.

These practices wouldn't also involve...wait for it...wait for it...

LIFTING WEIGHTS would they?

:eek:

Crucifax Autumn
12/24/2007, 06:14 AM
Hell, you'd think running out of houses with TV sets and speakers and so on would be a great strength builder in and of itself!

Leroy Lizard
12/24/2007, 07:01 AM
Silly Crucifax, what about the 20% of the team that is law-abiding?

Crucifax Autumn
12/24/2007, 07:11 AM
They shoulda traveled a little bit north!

Leroy Lizard
12/24/2007, 07:14 AM
But wouldn't that break some Texas laws against interstate travel for the purposes of winning championships?

I read that somewhere.

Crucifax Autumn
12/24/2007, 07:17 AM
I said "screw 'em" somewhere!

goodonya
12/24/2007, 08:19 AM
In the Sunday San Antonio paper it reported that Mack has now discovered the videotape machine. Something about making the players repeatedly watch busted plays over and over. I'm afraid with Mack's Dick Tracy-like pursuit of practice standards (blocking sled, up-downs, revamped slogans & now this) we might be in trouble in a few years. It's comical.

Leroy Lizard
12/24/2007, 04:52 PM
Wait until they get wind of "team meetings."

utex74
12/25/2007, 12:32 AM
What's up with the 6am practice start time?

Final exams during the day.

Crucifax Autumn
12/25/2007, 05:11 AM
They have final exams in the Travis County Jail???

KantoSooner
12/25/2007, 08:20 PM
Dayam! I knew Mack would figger out the film thing. What's next? Weights, pretty soon, he'll start 'em on weights.
And then we're doomed, absolutely fuque`d.
It's a black, black Christmas.

PLaw
12/26/2007, 10:01 AM
Count 'em, all of them. Count the BCS bowls Mack has been to. Yeah, I would say the Holiday Bowl is their standard. They may not aspire to that level, but it certainly is their standard. Count them, all of them.

It's good to be a SOONER!!

BOOMER

fadada1
12/26/2007, 10:44 AM
Count 'em, all of them. Count the BCS bowls Mack has been to... Count them, all of them.

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/8440/unolm2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

TexasLidig8r
12/26/2007, 11:07 AM
Count 'em, all of them. Count the BCS bowls Mack has been to. Yeah, I would say the Holiday Bowl is their standard. They may not aspire to that level, but it certainly is their standard. Count them, all of them.

It good to be a SOONER!!

BOOMER

Count the BCS bowls Mack has won... count them! Uh. that would be... two.

Now,, count the BCS bowls that Stoopsie has won.. count them... uh.. that would be... two.

Now.. let's count the BCS bowls played against USC... Texas.. lets see.. up against the best assemblage of warriors since the Roman army crushed the Visigoths.. and you see a game for the ages.

Now.. let's count the BCS bowls played against USC .. Oklahoma.. let's see.. oh yes.. history for another reason.

Lott's Bandana
12/26/2007, 11:21 AM

Now,, count the BCS bowls that Stoopsie has won.. count them... uh.. that would be... two.

Now.. let's count the BCS bowls played against USC... Texas.. lets see.. up against the best assemblage of warriors since the Roman army crushed the Visigoths.. and you see a game for the ages.

Now.. let's count the BCS bowls played against USC .. Oklahoma.. let's see.. oh yes.. history for another reason.

RRS:

Stoops _______

Brown _______

Aggy uses other teams wins against the Sooners to point fingers 'cause they can't "represent" on their own. Are you "representing" suc, Counselor? If you are, bill 'em for this hour...

BTW, isn't NOS a kind of Orange Juice on crack? Guess :mack: couldn't adopt Red Bull, could he?

Crucifax Autumn
12/27/2007, 04:39 AM

This post defeats itself...If SUC was such a great assemblage of warriors...best ever style...How did Texass beat 'em? They musta been overrated!

soonerboy_odanorth
12/27/2007, 04:17 PM
I think I liked RTO and RTD much better than NOS. And I didn't like those much. Ah well, to each his own.

BTW, what do each of those acronyms have in common?

OUr rivals adopted them following some pretty good butt-whupins we handed out to them.