PDA

View Full Version : Place to eat in OKC

Hamhock
12/18/2007, 11:22 AM
I'm surprising Mrs. Hamhock with a nice dinner and a night at the Skirvin. I'm thinking about Mickey Mantle's.

Any suggestions?

Paperclip
12/18/2007, 11:24 AM
Mickey Mantle's ticks me off because you have to buy the sides a la carte. I hate that. But I'm a hillbilly so don't go by me.

Oldnslo
12/18/2007, 11:25 AM
You've picked a good one right there. I like MM's. Been there a couple of times. Right by there is another place called "The Mantle" which is also good and has nothing to do with Mickey. It's more of an American Cuisine place. I've never had anything there that wasn't awesome.

Hamhock
iff'n you're gonna bitch about Mickey mantle's you at least gotta provide an alternate.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
That's a good one. You should also consider Red Prime.

Go here: www.opentable.com (http://www.opentable.com)

Most of OKC's nicer restaurants are listed there and you can make reservations.

Partial Qualifier
12/18/2007, 11:26 AM
"Mahogany's is better" post in 3...2....1.....

:D

Hamhock
in college, we used to go to Applewood's. they had a mean filet with crab meat and apple fritters. is that place still open?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
You've picked a good one right there. I like MM's. Been there a couple of times. Right by there is another place called "The Mantle" which is also good and has nothing to do with Mickey. It's more of an American Cuisine place. I've never had anything there that wasn't awesome.I was disappointed by my visit to the Mantel.

Be sure and have drinks in the Skirvin's Red Piano Bar.

Hamhock
12/18/2007, 11:27 AM

no doubt about it.

is there a 'hog in OKC?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/18/2007, 11:28 AM
in college, we used to go to Applewood's. they had a mean filet with crab meat and apple fritters. is that place still open?No, but Northfork on Memorial is basically the same thing.

Paperclip
12/18/2007, 11:28 AM
in college, we used to go to Applewood's. they had a mean filet with crab meat and apple fritters. is that place still open?

Unfortunately not. They relocated up to Memorial Rd and now that place is something else.

I'm still a Steak and Ale man.

frankensooner
12/18/2007, 11:30 AM
Edna's isn't much of a drive from the Skirvin.

Boomer.....
12/18/2007, 11:30 AM
I thought the Mantel was good. Do not go to Nonna's. Too expensive and the food is not that good.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/18/2007, 11:33 AM
Edna's isn't much of a drive from the Skirvin.mmm Lunchboxes.

soonerbrat
12/18/2007, 11:35 AM
you like italian? Trattoria il Centro at Walker & Main

frankensooner
12/18/2007, 11:35 AM
We really should have a SoonerFans Edna's night. (or lunch, since OKC lunches usually go so well! ;) )

soonerbrat
12/18/2007, 11:36 AM
ha! just went to Edna's a few days ago..was that Friday or Saturday?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/18/2007, 11:40 AM
We really should have a SoonerFans Edna's night. (or lunch, since OKC lunches usually go so well! ;) )In. Except tonight because I'm going to Eischens for a bday party.

frankensooner
I used to be Edna's favorite customer about 14-15 years ago. It was like music to my ears when she was would say "Frank honey, you need a refill?" ;)

sooneron
I will second Red Prime. Trust me, it's good. Very good. Not a real romantic spot, though- kind of cold and post modern decor, but good. And this is from someone that has eaten at a LOT of the better places in NYC talking. I haven't been to Mahogany, yet.

frankensooner
12/18/2007, 11:42 AM
Back to where to eat, my wife is buggin me to take her to the fondue place, is it any good?

soonerbrat
12/18/2007, 11:48 AM
Back to where to eat, my wife is buggin me to take her to the fondue place, is it any good?

i wouldn't waste your money, you have to cook your own food!

Hamhock
12/18/2007, 12:46 PM
is it safe to walk from the skirvin to red prime at 8:00 on a friday night?

frankensooner
12/18/2007, 12:49 PM
Four blocks of nearly empty streets? Yeah, you will be safe from us big, bad metropolitans. ;) You probably could arrange a carriage ride too, if your wife would dig it.

Hamhock
12/18/2007, 12:50 PM
Four blocks of nearly empty streets? Yeah, you will be safe from us big, bad metropolitans. ;)

i'm a very attractive man.

frankensooner
12/18/2007, 12:57 PM
You are more likely to be harrassed by the Skirvin ghost than anyone on the street at that time. ;)

Hamhock
12/18/2007, 01:00 PM
aren't there like gangs and bums and hookers and stuff downtown at night?

i heard the OKC crime rate is terrible.

Partial Qualifier
12/18/2007, 01:00 PM
no doubt about it.

is there a 'hog in OKC?

yep.. on Memorial between May and Portland

Hamhock
12/18/2007, 01:02 PM
yep.. on Memorial between May and Portland

howfar is that form the skirvin?

Jimminy Crimson
12/18/2007, 01:26 PM
howfar is that form the skirvin?

Too far, and not worth it. Red Prime Steak is better.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/18/2007, 01:27 PM
If you go to Red Prime then you could also visit the OKC Memorial.

Mjcpr
12/18/2007, 01:28 PM
That should get her in the mood.

frankensooner
12/18/2007, 01:31 PM
aren't there like gangs and bums and hookers and stuff downtown at night?

i heard the OKC crime rate is terrible.
Nah, most of our bums have jobs, like the Ladybums at 23rd street.

If you want to see some interesting people, might I suggest the downtown bus station. ;) I have only had one guy beg me for "cab fare" in Bricktown.

Lott's Bandana
12/18/2007, 01:58 PM
Cafe' Do Brasil

11th and Walker

hella cool

LilSooner
12/18/2007, 04:04 PM
I love the fondue place. My hubby is taking there for my b-day on Saturday.

Skirvin is seriously my most favorite place ever.

Hamhock
12/18/2007, 04:11 PM
Skirvin is seriously my most favorite place ever.

that's a good sign.

is there a dude with a horse and buggy that can drive us to dinner?

frankensooner
12/18/2007, 04:14 PM
that's a good sign.

is there a dude with a horse and buggy that can drive us to dinner?

Bricktown/ SBC Ballpark on Mickey Mantle Boulevard
(405) 361-5499

Thursday/Friday 6:00pm to 11:30 pm
Saturdays 4:30pm to 11:30pm
Sundays 4:00pm to 9:00pm

or if you are lazy inquire at the front desk at the Skirvin.

Partial Qualifier
12/18/2007, 04:36 PM
The last time I was at Edna's, the swing was broken and Edna had a cast on her arm :D

Hamhock
12/18/2007, 04:46 PM
Bricktown/ SBC Ballpark on Mickey Mantle Boulevard
(405) 361-5499

Thursday/Friday 6:00pm to 11:30 pm
Saturdays 4:30pm to 11:30pm
Sundays 4:00pm to 9:00pm

or if you are lazy inquire at the front desk at the Skirvin.

perfect.

i need it for 8pm Friday. skirvin to Red Prime to Skirvin. a rose waiting in the buggy would be nice.

thanks for taking care of this for me.

frankensooner
12/18/2007, 04:51 PM
leave it to me and you will get this:

http://www.bricktownpedicabs.com/

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/18/2007, 04:53 PM
The last time I was at Edna's, the swing was broken and Edna had a cast on her arm :DLast time I was at Edna's, some drunk aggy told Jimminy and me that they were going to "bring OU down to our level."

The time before that, an old guy offered my friend and me a threesome.

Always a bunch of winners at Edna's, but I love the place.

BigRedJed
12/18/2007, 05:03 PM
For years I've consistently said that Mickey Mantle's has the best steaks in OKC. Easily. My suggestion: 10 oz roquefort filet, medium rare, mushroom risotto and asparagus sides. The sautéed mushrooms are also great. Get the bleu cheese wedge salad or (my favorite) the lobster bisque, and share some fried pickle chips to start. For dessert get the best creme brulée ever.

MM's is relatively casual. You wouldn't feel out of place in jeans and a nice shirt, but it definitely feels like a special occasion place too, so dressing up is A-OK.

All of that said, (and it almost pains me to admit it), Red Prime is now at least the equal of MM's. Totally different environment. Cool, urban, stark, wheras MM's is warm and plush feeling. If you go to their websites (Red Prime (http://www.redprimesteak.com), Mickey Mantle's (http://www.mickeymantlesteakhouse.com)), you'll see photos that show you what I mean.

If you do Red Prime, I suggest the 40 day dry-aged ribeye (medium rare, of course) with a coffee crust and the red sauce. RP is all about the crusts and sauces, and you can mix and match. They are owned (in part) by the same people who own Cheever's and Iron Star BBQ, so the sides are really strong. I specifically suggest the creamed corn and the potato gratin.

If you're staying in the Skirvin (good call), there is absolutely no reason to leave downtown to eat. Those are the best two steakhouses in the city, period. Don't waste your time with other downtown places that purport to be upscale steakhouse type places. Soleil (in the Colcord Hotel) is, IMO, far from those places in regard to product or service. And, with apologies to the Park Avenue Grill at the Skirvin, they are still trying to find their stride.

Do, however hang in the bar at the Skirvin. And at Red Prime. And at MM's. And top it off with a visit to Maker's in Bricktown for an after dinner cigar and cocktail.

As for the safety of walking between the Skirvin and Red Prime (literally only a couple of blocks from one another), you'll chuckle to yourself that you even asked the question. Pin C-notes to your shirt if you wish.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/18/2007, 05:07 PM
And that's why Jed is the mayor.

Hamhock
12/18/2007, 06:09 PM
For years I've consistently said that Mickey Mantle's has the best steaks in OKC. Easily. My suggestion: 10 oz roquefort filet, medium rare, mushroom risotto and asparagus sides. The sautéed mushrooms are also great. Get the bleu cheese wedge salad or (my favorite) the lobster bisque, and share some fried pickle chips to start. For dessert get the best creme brulée ever.

MM's is relatively casual. You wouldn't feel out of place in jeans and a nice shirt, but it definitely feels like a special occasion place too, so dressing up is A-OK.

All of that said, (and it almost pains me to admit it), Red Prime is now at least the equal of MM's. Totally different environment. Cool, urban, stark, wheras MM's is warm and plush feeling. If you go to their websites (Red Prime (http://www.redprimesteak.com), Mickey Mantle's (http://www.mickeymantlesteakhouse.com)), you'll see photos that show you what I mean.

If you do Red Prime, I suggest the 40 day dry-aged ribeye (medium rare, of course) with a coffee crust and the red sauce. RP is all about the crusts and sauces, and you can mix and match. They are owned (in part) by the same people who own Cheever's and Iron Star BBQ, so the sides are really strong. I specifically suggest the creamed corn and the potato gratin.

If you're staying in the Skirvin (good call), there is absolutely no reason to leave downtown to eat. Those are the best two steakhouses in the city, period. Don't waste your time with other downtown places that purport to be upscale steakhouse type places. Soleil (in the Colcord Hotel) is, IMO, far from those places in regard to product or service. And, with apologies to the Park Avenue Grill at the Skirvin, they are still trying to find their stride.

Do, however hang in the bar at the Skirvin. And at Red Prime. And at MM's. And top it off with a visit to Maker's in Bricktown for an after dinner cigar and cocktail.

As for the safety of walking between the Skirvin and Red Prime (literally only a couple of blocks from one another), you'll chuckle to yourself that you even asked the question. Pin C-notes to your shirt if you wish.

i spent a night in your flat, tree-less, windy city on b'ness last week, which gave me the idea. MM was pretty good. i think the chef spilled pepper in the bisque, but other than that it was pretty good. we eat at mahogany for special occasions here, so i thought i'd try something different by going to red prime.

the skirvin was a very nice experience. hopefully a night of hot sex will make the stay even more charming.

jeremy885
12/18/2007, 07:04 PM
Cafe' Do Brasil

11th and Walker

hella cool

For lunch, maybe. (unless its really changed since 2004.)

BigRedJed
12/18/2007, 07:28 PM
Considering the fact that it opened in '05, I would say the change has been significant.

And don't throw More than Muffins at me; this is a different menu and a different location. Where I do agree is that Cafe do Brasil is not necessarily a special occasion place. It's more of an "any occasion" place, but still excellent.

bluedogok
12/18/2007, 11:37 PM
I would chose MM but then I am a bit biased. I did the building that it is in and worked with the design architects to get MM/Stumpy's built while we were still trying to finish the rest of the building.

I have heard that Red Prime is very good as well.

silverwheels
12/18/2007, 11:53 PM
Drinking at Maker's is expensive.

sooneron
12/19/2007, 10:22 AM
Drinking at Maker's is expensive, for Oklahoma.
fixed

soonerbrat
12/19/2007, 10:31 AM
Drinking at Maker's is expensive.

yep. lucky for me, when I go there, I can always find some sap...er..i mean...nice guy to pay for my drinks.

Mjcpr
12/19/2007, 10:34 AM
fixed

Psssst....that's where we are.

silverwheels
12/19/2007, 01:51 PM
fixed

$32 for 3 Chimay Triples did not sit well with me.

BigRedJed
12/20/2007, 09:55 AM
It always warms my heart to hear people griping about high prices at a great place. It means less riffraff when I go there, one of the reasons I like places like that.

You know, places like that INTENTIONALLY have high prices to create that situation. You think they're making more bank than the nightlclub slinging 3.2 beer at a breakneck pace at a couple bucks a holler? Hardly. But they create a nice atmosphere void of drink-to-get-drunk *********s. Worth paying extra for, if you ask me.

Not suggesting anyone here is riffraff, BTW, only that they might not yet fully appreciate hanging out in places that actively run off said riffraff.

Mjcpr
12/20/2007, 09:59 AM
http://a712.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/61/m_c3c2646dc092b0a8470bf7dc144a8d57.jpg

soonerbrat
12/20/2007, 10:20 AM
It always warms my heart to hear people griping about high prices at a great place. It means less riffraff when I go there, one of the reasons I like places like that.

You know, places like that INTENTIONALLY have high prices to create that situation. You think they're making more bank than the nightlclub slinging 3.2 beer at a breakneck pace at a couple bucks a holler? Hardly. But they create a nice atmosphere void of drink-to-get-drunk *********s. Worth paying extra for, if you ask me.

Not suggesting anyone here is riffraff, BTW, only that they might not yet fully appreciate hanging out in places that actively run off said riffraff.

oh, i'm riffraff alright.

Hamhock
12/20/2007, 10:34 AM
stay on topic people.

i'm in search of a romantic evening with my wife. the plan for now is dinner at Red Prime, drinks and nookie at the Skirvin.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/20/2007, 10:50 AM
Take a ride on the Water Taxi. It's free because Devon loves Christmas.

Hamhock
12/20/2007, 10:56 AM

we won't get into town until around 7pm. by the time we have a quickie, eat dinner, drinks, another quickie, it will be too late.

M
12/20/2007, 11:00 AM
we won't get into town until around 7pm. by the time we have a quickie, eat dinner, drinks, another quickie, it will be too late.

Yeah. And you might cause the boat to sink if you're gettin' busy on it. :texan:

soonerbrat
12/20/2007, 11:03 AM

i heart Devon

IB4OU2
12/20/2007, 11:09 AM
In. Except tonight because I'm going to Eischens for a bday party.

Nothing can beat experiencing fine dining in Okarche.

BigRedJed
12/20/2007, 11:19 AM
I disagree.

;)

soonerbrat
12/20/2007, 11:25 AM
i dunno, our break room's looking pretty good today
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/soonerbrat/funny%20pics/breakroom.jpg

OUDoc
12/20/2007, 11:25 AM
hopefully a night of hot sex will make the stay even more charming.
I know Jed likes you and everything....

Hamhock
12/20/2007, 11:39 AM
I know Jed likes you and everything....

please see post #25.

stoopified
12/20/2007, 11:50 AM
Cracker Barrel?I'm NOT riffraff,I'm white trash.

r5TPsooner
12/20/2007, 02:43 PM

The wife and I ate there last week since it was her B-Day and about a five minute drive from our house. The service was above average but the food was average at best. We both had the filet with lobster. The steak was dry and the lobster had a terrible flavor to it.

For right at $200 for a dinner for two, there are much better choices than Mahogany. I can assure you, that we will never eat there again.

My vote goes to the Haunted House or Boulevard Steak House in Edmond.

silverwheels
12/20/2007, 03:08 PM

Well good for you. Thanks for making assumptions about me.

BigRedJed
12/20/2007, 04:45 PM
Aww, silverwheels, don't get bent out of shape. I even put a disclaimer in my post. Just chalk it up to me being an elitist bastard.

silverwheels
12/20/2007, 04:56 PM
Aww, silverwheels, don't get bent out of shape. I even put a disclaimer in my post. Just chalk it up to me being an elitist bastard.

I know. I saw the disclaimer so I had to say something. :D

soonerbrat
12/20/2007, 05:02 PM
The wife and I ate there last week since it was her B-Day and about a five minute drive from our house. The service was above average but the food was average at best. We both had the filet with lobster. The steak was dry and the lobster had a terrible flavor to it.

For right at $200 for a dinner for two, there are much better choices than Mahogany. I can assure you, that we will never eat there again.

Haunted House....my rehearsal dinner was there about 19 years ago and I haven't been there since...i forgot about that place!! I'll have to check it out again.

and IMO, Boulevard Steak House is better than MM's
but MM's does have a very nice happy hour :D

sooneron
12/20/2007, 10:18 PM
I'm riff raff, yet high falootin' riff raff.

And there aren't many places that you can drink cheaper than in OK. I love that place! :D

Newbomb Turk
12/20/2007, 10:22 PM

went to Haunted House a couple years ago with the wife for our anniversary dinner.

very average.
poor service.

hope it is better now.

Hamhock
12/21/2007, 08:45 AM
can i wear jeans to red prime?

BigRedJed
12/21/2007, 09:14 AM
Yes, if topped off by something plenty nice. Really nice shirt, or a blazer, something like that. You won't be the only person in there wearing jeans. But you might be one of the few...

Hope that helps.

Hamhock
12/21/2007, 09:17 AM
Yes, if topped off by something plenty nice. Really nice shirt, or a blazer, something like that. You won't be the only person in there wearing jeans. But you might be one of the few...

Hope that helps.

i plan on wearing a tight leather vest, with nothing under it.

Hamhock
12/21/2007, 06:10 PM
i'm on my way. cue the bow-chica-bow-bow music....

BigRedJed
12/21/2007, 07:15 PM
i plan on wearing a tight leather vest, with nothing under it.
Actually, you might fit in.

Hamhock
12/24/2007, 09:04 AM
good call.

Red Prime was an excellent meal.

C&CDean
12/24/2007, 11:53 AM
So, did momma give up the booty?

Hamhock
12/24/2007, 12:26 PM
So, did momma give up the booty?

was there really ever any question?

C&CDean
12/24/2007, 12:31 PM
Well, it was you we were talking about.

Hamhock
12/24/2007, 12:32 PM
she's not a drinker. i got two chocolate martinis in her at the skirvin bar.

if you were in one of the adjacent rooms, I apologize.

Mjcpr
12/24/2007, 12:39 PM
she's not a drinker. i got two chocolate martinis in her at the skirvin bar.

So, you're friends with Martin?