PDA

View Full Version : I counted five horse-collars tonight...

goingoneight
12/18/2007, 02:39 AM
... and no pretty yeller flags on any of them.

That is all.

Crucifax Autumn
12/18/2007, 02:43 AM
It's been well-publicized that they put in that rule for Roy...Apparently it is for Roy only!

sooner59
12/18/2007, 02:45 AM
True, but im thinking there might be a fine for that "almost" TD when the Minn. WR was pulled down. If not, the NFL is headhunting Roy b/c of his past. He did the deed, but so do alot of people every week, they need to start handing out more fines if they are going to do it that way and not just watch #31 for big D.

Crucifax Autumn
12/18/2007, 02:48 AM
Or just get rid of all the pansy-assed rules they've added over the last 15 years and just play football. I've said it before and I'll say it again: If an offensive player doesn't wanna get horse collared then he oughtta run faster than the defender chasing him!

chriscappel
12/18/2007, 02:49 AM
:sigh: Sure wish Roy wasn't on the Cowgirls...

Crucifax Autumn
12/18/2007, 02:56 AM
No comment! lol

chriscappel
12/18/2007, 02:59 AM
HAHA! Well what can I say? When the Cowgirls were winning all those Super Bowls and them dubbed themselves "Americas Team" I started hating them... But then again I'm a Chief's fan :eek .... So I guess I have no opinion! ;)

Crucifax Autumn
12/18/2007, 03:06 AM
PErsonally, I'm a great big College fan and haven't watched pro football since Houston bolted for Tenn and the rules started getting wimpier as the players turned into pussies, thugs, and even bigger drug addicts.

Seriously? How loaded on Vicoden and Oxycontin are some of these guys? *cough* Favre *cough*

chriscappel
12/18/2007, 03:08 AM
Seriously? How loaded on Vicoden and Oxycontin are some of these guys? *cough* Favre *cough*

HAHA Don't forget the Southern Comfort... That one guy :cough: Favre loves the sauce!

RedstickSooner
12/18/2007, 05:16 PM
Football is a violent sport. Injuries happen.

Tackling from behind, horse collaring is one of the *only* ways to bring a dude down.

If the NFL seriously doesn't want to allow it, fine. Put a fudging handle on the back of every player's jersey, and tacklers can just use it to take down their prey.

It'd look ghey as hell. Just like the rule itself.

TUSooner
12/18/2007, 05:35 PM
Yeah, well.... The arguments by some of these uber-macho posters that rules to protect players make the NFL pansy-assed is absurd. It begs the question, "What is NFL football?" Despite all the extreme metaphors, NFL football is NOT war. Ask someone who has been to war. Football is a GAME. There are rules. It is not designed to kill and maim the participants.
With or without the horsecollar rule, or no chop blocks, or even the extreme protection of QBs, NFL football is not for pansies, or blustering, beer-fueled innerweb keyboard heroes. Todays NFL players are significantly bigger and faster and stronger and can do more damage than players of just two generations ago. If you want war, man up and join the military and get your bad azs to Iraq or Afghanistan, or at least watch UFC and MME & stuff.

OklahomaRed
12/18/2007, 05:40 PM
If they are going to be wusses, then why doesn't the NFL fine and suspend players for chop blocks and blatant face masks? I don't see how these pansies can do one without the other? Obviously they change the rules and ignore the others.

BoulderSooner79
12/18/2007, 07:33 PM
If they are going to be wusses, then why doesn't the NFL fine and suspend players for chop blocks and blatant face masks? I don't see how these pansies can do one without the other? Obviously they change the rules and ignore the others.

The distinction is "intentional" vs. blatant. I've only seen a couple of obviously intentional facemasks in my time and the player was fined. It happened at the end of a blowout game when the losing team was getting frustrated. Most facemasks happen when the fingers just get caught in the mask and the 5/15 judgement is based on if it assisted the tackle. Chop blocks are hard to assign intent because it would take a co-ordinated effort of 2 people. The horse collar is more obvious because both players are upright and the tackler has to hang on for a long time to complete the tackle. It certainly looks intentional. But regardless, the fines and now suspension is for repeat offenses.

John Lynch has been hit with escalating fines for violating the "helpless receiver" rule. A lot of his hits are clean hits, but he has had a few helmet to helmet hits, so I understand the league fining him for his history.

Sooner_Bob
12/18/2007, 07:44 PM
I feel another thread lock coming on . . .

wishbonesooner
12/19/2007, 08:33 AM
Roy was one of the greatest Sooners of all time. I love watching the guy and am proud he was at OU. But, he's not the player he was just a couple of years ago. I'm 55 and Roy couldn't cover me. He's gotten lazy with technique. True, I think it's a ***** rule, and Roy is a bad ***. He's going to be an unemployed bad *** if he doesn't start working harder and play like he used to play.

Curly Bill
12/19/2007, 09:48 AM
Yeah, well.... The arguments by some of these uber-macho posters that rules to protect players make the NFL pansy-assed is absurd. It begs the question, "What is NFL football?" Despite all the extreme metaphors, NFL football is NOT war. Ask someone who has been to war. Football is a GAME. There are rules. It is not designed to kill and maim the participants.
With or without the horsecollar rule, or no chop blocks, or even the extreme protection of QBs, NFL football is not for pansies, or blustering, beer-fueled innerweb keyboard heroes. Todays NFL players are significantly bigger and faster and stronger and can do more damage than players of just two generations ago. If you want war, man up and join the military and get your bad azs to Iraq or Afghanistan, or at least watch UFC and MME & stuff.

I must have missed where all us macho posters were comparing NFL football to war. Could you direct me to those posts?

...by the way I've done both....so does that mean I could equate the two if I wanted?

edit...I also watch UFC, so does that make me triple bad?