PDA

View Full Version : I am Legend....

chriscappel
12/18/2007, 01:40 AM
:sigh: This movie disappointed me to no end. I can't believe someone could take an amazing book and make such a poopy movie! Anyone else think so?

critical_phil
12/18/2007, 01:56 AM
Anyone else think so?

not yet.

i'm waiting to be disappointed in the DVD.

Lott's Bandana
12/18/2007, 01:59 AM
We have another thread of disappointment going somewhere...

chriscappel
12/18/2007, 02:00 AM
We have another thread of disappointment going somewhere...

hmm... I gotta find this one!! I need to vent my anger...

silverwheels
12/18/2007, 02:05 AM
I never read the book, but the movie still disappointed me.

Shneeg11
12/18/2007, 05:46 AM
I enjoyed most of the movie, but I didn't read the book....yet....

It seemed like they just ran out of money while filming though, and said, well, lets just end now

Rogue
12/18/2007, 05:51 PM
Glad to see this, I was gonna go drop some coin in theater. I'll wait.

rufnek05
12/18/2007, 05:54 PM
I saw it. It was ok. wasn't what I thought it would be. Its decent. I might rent it when it comes out on dvd.

Collier11
12/18/2007, 06:25 PM
never read the book, enjoyed the movie. I liked the message although I can see where some non-christians would not like it or some might just think it was overdone and sappy

silverwheels
12/18/2007, 06:30 PM
never read the book, enjoyed the movie. I liked the message although I can see where some non-christians would not like it or some might just think it was overdone and sappy

I thought the second half was rushed and typical Hollywood action flick stuff. More background info would have been nice. The religious thing wasn't overdone, just done poorly.

First half of the movie gets a B+. Second half gets a C- at best. All I know is I left the theater thinking, "Okay, I just wasted money on that."

KC//CRIMSON
12/18/2007, 06:48 PM
What part of "starring Will Smith" threw you guys off?

of course it sucked.

StormySooner-IN
12/18/2007, 07:15 PM

of course it sucked.BANE HIM NOW!!!!!1!1!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

;) :D

Desert Sapper
12/18/2007, 07:40 PM
What did they screw up? The movie 'The Last Man on Earth' with Vincent Price and the movie 'Omega Man' with Charlton Heston were based on 'I am Legend'. Those were both awesome movies. The former was the inspiration for 'Night of the Living Dead' and the latter was a post-apocolyptic classic. I have high expectations for the Will Smith version. Please, what did they screw up? I was going to see this one in the theater.

chriscappel
12/18/2007, 09:25 PM
What did they screw up? The movie 'The Last Man on Earth' with Vincent Price and the movie 'Omega Man' with Charlton Heston were based on 'I am Legend'. Those were both awesome movies. The former was the inspiration for 'Night of the Living Dead' and the latter was a post-apocolyptic classic. I have high expectations for the Will Smith version. Please, what did they screw up? I was going to see this one in the theater.

Lets just say they took the MAIN idea and plot of the book and totally threw it out the window... If you have read the book then I am 99.9% sure you will not like it. And I agree that "The Last Man on Earth" was a great movie (I'm a huge fan of Vincent Price). It just amazes me that a movie made in 1964 about the novel is better than the movie made in 2007. If someone would just GO WITH THE BOOK they could make one the most amazing movies ever! IMO

proud gonzo
12/18/2007, 09:31 PM
yeah... if you go see a movie adapted from a novel starring Will Smith, pretty much know that when faced with a decision of maintaining the novel's integrity or making buttloads of money, they went with money. Did you learn nothing from the Will Smith version of "I, Robot"?

AverageJoe
12/18/2007, 09:40 PM
I never read the book but I liked it. Is what it is. Kept me in suspense and the good ole "Don't go in there!!!!!!! Are you crazy? Leave the damn Dog" whisper to myself.

But Movies usually kill the book, burn it, smash it, like it was never read at all by the Screenwriter and Director.

Battlefield Earth...............nuff said

AJ

Desert Sapper
12/18/2007, 10:30 PM
That's disappointing to learn. Thanks.

chriscappel
12/18/2007, 10:30 PM
yeah... if you go see a movie adapted from a novel starring Will Smith, pretty much know that when faced with a decision of maintaining the novel's integrity or making buttloads of money, they went with money. Did you learn nothing from the Will Smith version of "I, Robot"?

I Robot was a book? :eek:

Curly Bill
12/18/2007, 10:44 PM

of course it sucked.

:D

The Fresh Prince....LOL

StoopTroup
1/20/2008, 07:23 PM
We couldn't find a seat at "The Bucket List" and ducked in and watched "Legend" instead last night.

I didn't know what to expect. Neither of us saw previews or read the book.

*****Spoiler Alert *****

The first contact when he and his dog got split up...freaked me out.

3 out of 5 stars.

proud gonzo
1/20/2008, 07:31 PM
you know, we do have REAL spoiler tags on here.

StoopTroup
1/20/2008, 07:32 PM
What's wrong with fake ones?

critical_phil
1/20/2008, 07:39 PM
3 out of 5 stars.

yeah, i agree. i went to see this when i was in wichita last weekend at one of their mega-colossal-theatre-cities. i can't wait for the one in moore to open - so i can avoid it like the plague.

btw, i gave wichita 3 stars too........out of a possible 100 stars.

StoopTroup
1/20/2008, 07:42 PM
OK...I'd like to state that I have now taken the time to figure out how to use a spoiler tag.

I did fer you PG.

GottaHavePride
1/20/2008, 08:21 PM
Was this a serious comment? If so, I am sad that you have never heard of Isaac Asimov's Robots, Foundation, and Empire series. Asimov is to science fiction what Tolkien is to fantasy.

If it was a joke, then Welcome Ta Erf. :D

http://www.c-cproductions.org/sa/WelcomeTaErf.gif

proud gonzo
1/20/2008, 08:21 PM
I Robot was a book? :eek::mad:

proud gonzo
1/20/2008, 08:31 PM
yeah, i agree. i went to see this when i was in wichita last weekend at one of their mega-colossal-theatre-cities. i can't wait for the one in moore to open - so i can avoid it like the plague.
BLASPHEMER! The Warren RMFO. I can't WAIT for that one to open so I can stop paying $9 to see movies in the other piece of **** theaters around here. There's a movie theater in Wichita that's on par with all the ones here. It's $2.50 a ticket.

GottaHavePride
1/20/2008, 08:36 PM
And the floors aren't sticky.

critical_phil
1/20/2008, 08:55 PM
And the floors aren't sticky.

i'm not saying the theatre wasn't nice, i'm just saying "no thanks" in general to watching movies in a crowded theatre. Legend has been out for over a month and there wasn't a spare seat in the entire theatre.

i'll just stick with the tuesday matinee, for movies about to end their run, at the stickied-floor theatre so i don't have to deal with the general population.

swardboy
1/20/2008, 08:59 PM

Isaac Asimov

GottaHavePride
1/20/2008, 09:03 PM
i'm not saying the theatre wasn't nice, i'm just saying "no thanks" in general to watching movies in a crowded theatre. Legend has been out for over a month and there wasn't a spare seat in the entire theatre.

i'll just stick with the tuesday matinee, for movies about to end their run, at the stickied-floor theatre so i don't have to deal with the general population.

Oh, well, yeah. Crowded theaters suck. I always seem to wind up at mid-afternoon shows and there's no one there.

Youngsooner
1/20/2008, 09:04 PM
I am Legend wasn't BAD... but i think the commercials were better than the movie itself

StoopTroup
1/20/2008, 09:04 PM
I agree CP.

The society in large cities isn't very nice anymore.

These huge Movie complexes have cops in the lobbies but they don't usually get involved unless there's gang trouble.

We had some kids making noise between the seating area and the theatre exits.

It wasn't just your normal noise...it was meant to **** everyone off.

Parents who drop their kids off to use the theatres as babysitters are teh suc IMO. I miss the old days when there were the one and two screen theatres.

Sooner_Bob
1/20/2008, 10:50 PM
I Am Legend could've definitely been better . . . of course, it was no Cloverfield.

;)

proud gonzo
1/20/2008, 11:24 PM
I agree CP.

These huge Movie complexes have cops in the lobbies but they don't usually get involved unless there's gang trouble.

Parents who drop their kids off to use the theatres as babysitters are teh suc IMO. I miss the old days when there were the one and two screen theatres.the theaters in Wichita aren't like that. They are pretty crowded though, because they're so nice. I don't mind it because most of the theaters have stadium seating, so you don't have people's heads in the way everywhere.
I also don't mind because I show up early to get the seats I want.

SoonerJack
1/21/2008, 09:35 AM
My boys and I liked I am Legend. Of course, now I want to read the book to see how much better the movie could have been.

And parents who use the theatre as a babysitter worse than teh suc. They are teh double suc.

crawfish
1/21/2008, 03:21 PM
I didn't get a chance to see the movie, but I am reading the book right now. Halfway through, it's really good.

I'll catch the DVD when it comes out.

IB4OU2
1/21/2008, 03:25 PM
He sure did'nt know how to deer hunt. How'd he not starve?

The Maestro
1/21/2008, 03:26 PM
I guess for me reading a book when I can watch the movie is like saying I'll walk to the store 5 miles away when I could ride in a car and be there in 5 minutes.

Oh, and I guess that explains why I liked "I Am Legend". Reminded me of "Signs" a bit.

tbl
1/21/2008, 03:58 PM
He sure did'nt know how to deer hunt. How'd he not starve?
Canned goods... He had Manhattan entirely to himself. I'm sure there's plenty of canned and dry goods lying around.

Pricetag
1/25/2008, 10:23 AM
I finally got around to seeing the movie last night. It's funny that you mention I, Robot. I thought that the male creatures bore a weird facial resemblance to the robots in that movie.

I knew this movie wasn't going to be faithful to the book. It couldn't have been and been a Hollywood blockbuster.

That being said, I was disappointed that they threw the whole concept of the title out the window. It meant something in the book, and they completely ignored it in the movie.

I would have liked to have seen more of what it would be like to be one man with the resources of an entire dead society at his command than a few scenes in a video store.

I thought the fate of his family cheapened the character of Robert Neville. He was a hard man in the book, and you knew why.

I did like how they explored the possibility that he might be a bit off his rocker. If you're the last man on Earth, does it really matter?

IMO, this movie was close enough to the plot of the book that it could not be called its own original story, but far enough away that it should not have been called I Am Legend.

soonerinabilene
1/25/2008, 10:36 AM
I agree CP.

Parents who drop their kids off to use the theatres as babysitters are teh suc IMO. I miss the old days when there were the one and two screen theatres.

First, you ask the manager to do something. After they do nothing, you have no option but to throw your drink at the kids head, right?

frankensooner
1/25/2008, 10:48 AM
Omega Man was 10 times better. Last Man on Earth was 3 times better.

What a pile of poo.

Desert Sapper
1/25/2008, 02:22 PM
The ending of the book would have been far too dark for the movie. I just got a chance to see the movie, and thought it was okay. I think it was an equally poignant ending, if not quite so shocking.

And it gives you a happy feeling. Dying for mankind with a handgrenade was a good way for Neville to go out, I thought, and I liked the twist on the title. He made himself a legend.

Audiences would have been ****ed at an ending where he died to make way for the new semi-vampire inhuman race that considers him a legendary monster. Audiences pay money. Movie makers want all of it.

I agree about the need for more abundant uses of Manhattan's resources. Dozers? Could he have not plowed all those cars out of the way to race various sports cars? A target range using manequins, perhaps? I don't know. The use of the SR-71 for driving practice was pretty nice. Must have been fleet week when the world ended.

You would think even a Medical Corps LTC could have set up some better obstacles to the invading horde than exploding cars that destroy the building. Good job, jackass.