PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone think there might be a

Dan Thompson
12/18/2007, 12:11 AM
split NC with the AP voting OU #1?

What do you see as the steps to make this happen?

Curly Bill
12/18/2007, 12:13 AM
NO

GottaHavePride
12/18/2007, 12:13 AM
Step 1: Don't lose any games.

Soonerus
12/18/2007, 12:15 AM
YES !!!!

snp
12/18/2007, 12:19 AM
**** no.

Stoop Dawg
12/18/2007, 12:20 AM

Step 2: If you happen to lose a game or two, tell everyone what a tough schedule you played and that if anyone else played such a tough schedule that they would have lost MORE games than you did.

Step 3: If there is another undefeated team, just pretend they don't count.

Step 4: Win one game against a questionable opponent.

Step 5: Hold the crystal football high above your head and smile for the camera!!

JohnnyMack
12/18/2007, 12:23 AM

Wait a minute, let me write this down.

And HOLY **** is that avatar a blast from the past!!!

Crucifax Autumn
12/18/2007, 12:50 AM
The only real chance of this happening is burying West Vagina by 60 or more while that other game plays out like Oprah wrestling Roseanne in a puddle of oil and feces.

But, it would be kinda nice to screw up the system a little...

KingDavid
12/18/2007, 12:54 AM
split NC with the AP voting OU #1?

What do you see as the steps to make this happen?

Whatever infinitesimally small possibilities existed for such an outcome were obliterated by Coach Rod leaving WV for Michigan. Otherwise, the steps would have been as follows:

OU beats WV by 30 or more. WV is completely healthy - Pat White plays the whole game. No excuses (like they have now that they've lost Coach Rod).

LSU beats OSU by 2 points, 10-8 while playing a disgusting, turnover riddled game.

During that game (LSU vs. OSU), the announcers would have to be so disgusted with the play of both teams that they would start discussing the possibility of making OU the NC of his own AP ballot. By the end of the game, he would have had to have made the declaration on national television that he was going to vote for OU as national champion.

If all that would have happened, I would have given us a 1:30 chance of getting named the AP champion.

But like I said: now that WV has an excuse, there's no way that we can impress the voters no matter how badly we destroy them. It's sort of the same situation we were in last year: no upside for us; all upside for them. Etc.

goingoneight
12/18/2007, 02:36 AM
AP better vote us No. 1... cuz you know... that'd be betrayal and all if he didn't.

Crucifax Autumn
12/18/2007, 02:49 AM
heh!

We need a player named Buford Colin Schmidt!

chriscappel
12/18/2007, 02:51 AM
I hope not... Splitting an NC is horrible... Whoever wins the game gets it

Crucifax Autumn
12/18/2007, 02:53 AM
I agree in principle, but it would be nice to have a system where there's less doubt about who's the champ, so screwing up the system and raising some controversy gets us closer to a consensus champion.

chriscappel
12/18/2007, 02:57 AM
Yeah.. I mean the way I see it is that the system is never gonna change... Too much money would be lost... My friend(who is a Husker fan BTW :( ) and I have tried soooo many ways to make a playoff system work... It can't unless they make a College Football League and duke it out NFL style... Even then there will be controversy about who deserves to be in the league and what not... It's just a bad pickle any way you look at it!

Crucifax Autumn
12/18/2007, 03:01 AM
I agree...no matter what is done there will be issues. But we can hope that someone gets a good idea somewhere along the way.

But no matter what...We'll all bitch and moan on a regular basis and fill half the first page of this joint with "playoff/bcs debate" at this time of year for all eternity. It started when Eve ate an apple once and will end when Kenny leads the forces of good against Satan on his PSP!

chriscappel
12/18/2007, 03:06 AM
HAHA This is true! Even so... We can complain till the end of the earth but everyone knows that there were 2 games lost... A win in either one would have sent us there! Don't get me wrong though... Those BCS bastages wanted a BIG 10/SEC NC! ;)

Crucifax Autumn
12/18/2007, 03:10 AM
Yep...We shoulda won those games and we can complain until the sun explodes and that'll still be true.

But, this is Soonerfans, so...

chriscappel
12/18/2007, 03:11 AM
But, this is Soonerfans, so...

True... true

Dan Thompson
12/18/2007, 03:11 PM
If LSU beats OSU say 10 to 7 and we put on WVU a game like we did in the Big XII Championship, do you think the AP might vote us #1?

snrsinica
12/18/2007, 03:25 PM
No way in h... uh, oregon

soonersweetie
12/18/2007, 03:26 PM
I'm hoping, cause as you know there's so much love for OU out there.

Seriously though, that would be great if they would, just not sure.

Paperclip
12/18/2007, 03:33 PM
We all agreed to play by the BCS rules. There's one champ and we're not going to be it because we didn't play in the title game.

MiccoMacey
12/18/2007, 03:35 PM
We all agreed to play by the BCS rules. There's one champ and we're not going to be it because we didn't play in the title game.
^^^^^^^^^
My new hero.

OKLA21FAN
12/18/2007, 03:37 PM
the AP pole now carries about as much weight as those pre WW2 NC claims that Bamer and USC have recently 'found'.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/18/2007, 03:38 PM
I think it is definitely possible IF LSU beat Ohio St in a close game while at the same time OU pummelled WV that OU might get enough AP votes for a split poll.

At the same time the winner of the game is going to hold up the Crystal football so it will come off a lot like our buddy 1-Pete Carroll claiming the 2003 title. At the same time I think the media won't overlook it in our case like they did for USC.

But sure I would like to see us win big and get a split vote.

tbl
12/18/2007, 03:39 PM
I don't think it would happen, regardless of the score. With their coach leaving, it won't matter what happens at the Fiesta... and rightly so. That's the title game, as much as we all hate to see Lester getting this handed to him. Oh well...

tbl
12/18/2007, 03:41 PM
At the same time the winner of the game is going to hold up the Crystal football so it will come off a lot like our buddy 1-Pete Carroll claiming the 2003 title. At the same time I think the media won't overlook it in our case like they did for USC.

The media looked over it for USC???? I must have missed that every time I STILL hear them refer to USC winning back to back Championships... and EVERY media member says as much when its talked about.

MiccoMacey
12/18/2007, 03:43 PM
Why don't we just start saying that the LSU-tOSU is one semi-final game, and OU-WVVU is the other semi-final game?

That way, during the off-season, we can say we're still waiting for LSU to play us so we can determine who the real champion is.

And until they do play us, we are co-champions until settled on the field. And since they will refuse to play us, we can actually claim victory from their refusal to play us.

We could get rings, t-shirts, and cookies made (especially the cookies).

I think this is how USC and 'Bama has so many NCs.

swardboy
12/18/2007, 03:45 PM
I think he means that the media overlooked the fact that ONLY the crystal defines the national champion when crowning petie boy in '03.

Still, it would give me a certain satisfaction to know the coaches appreciated OU to that degree......

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/18/2007, 03:48 PM
The media looked over it for USC???? I must have missed that every time I STILL hear them refer to USC winning back to back Championships... and EVERY media member says as much when its talked about.

I pretty much am teh suck at making my point their. I agree with you 100%. What I'm saying is if the AP voted OU #1 we would not get any mention of being back-to-back champs if say we won in 2008.

arcman46
12/18/2007, 04:09 PM
There is one difference between the USuC AP "title" in '03 and a split NC now, and that is that the AP in '03 was a part of the BCS. Therefore there could be no split NC. Today the AP is an entity of its own, so there theoretically could be a splint NC. That said, no matter who wins in the NCG, they will be the NC. I don't see any circumstance, outside of us absolutely dominating WVU to the tune of, say, 77-0, that would influence the pollsters to go against their love for LSUc or tOSU, to vote for us. The key is for us to beat WVU decisively, and put us in the position to be voted in the top 1-3 for next season, as a kick off to #8.

MamaMia
12/18/2007, 04:13 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if everyone who had power in the BCS standings would really play by the rules?

Bourbon St Sooner
12/18/2007, 04:25 PM
If LSU beats OSU say 10 to 7 and we put on WVU a game like we did in the Big XII Championship, do you think the AP might vote us #1?

I think there's a possibility the AP votes OU #1 if the above happens and Mo whups Ark. The Mo-Ark game is the closest thing to a common opponent between OU and LSU with OU whupping Mo twice and LSU losing at home to Ark on the last weekend of the season.

I don't really care about the AP title, but it would give me great pleasure to see the consternation on the tigger faces if they have to split another title.

KingDavid
12/18/2007, 04:33 PM
All hopes for this died when Rodriguez left for Michigan. WV will be viewed as an easy win for us, as even reflected by the way the line moved after his departure became imminent.

For us to even have the slightest shot:

OU 35, WVU 0
Mizzou 42, Arkansas 10
LSU 3, OSU 2

Then maybe the AP puts us at #1. But even then, it would be a 1 in 10 shot, at best.

Rogue
12/18/2007, 04:43 PM
We doesn't want the nasssty 2007 title. It's tainted with taints it is.

MextheBulldog
12/18/2007, 04:55 PM
Nice thought, but will not happen.

RedstickSooner
12/18/2007, 05:22 PM
Whatever infinitesimally small possibilities existed for such an outcome were obliterated by Coach Rod leaving WV for Michigan.

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

We have a winnah!

We could beat West Virginia by 200 points, and not get the Associated Press national championship this year. Every pundit out there will simply assume it was the coaching upheaval which caused the WVu collapse.

If LSU and the Bucknuts somehow manage to play the absolutely worst game of college football ever played... We're talking one where there's 6+ unforced fumbles on each team, the mascots get into a fight on the fifty yard-line during the second quarter, and one of the coaches is knocked unconscious in the fourth quarter when his team hits him in the head with the giant tub of gatorade which they'd planned to douse him with. Ironically, while attempting to take a knee to seal the deal, that same team would draw a foul (like Stupid did against Oregon), end up so close to their own goal line that they then took a knee that turned into a safety -- giving the other team the win by one point.

NOW.... If *THAT* all happens, and we beat WVu by 50 or more points... I guess it's vaguely, remotely possible we might get voted #1 by the AP. But I doubt it.

oupride
12/18/2007, 08:09 PM
It cant happen. The voters are bound by the Broken Championship Series to vote the winner of the bowl game #1.

bluedogok
12/18/2007, 09:05 PM
The AP voters have nothing to do with the BCS, they even had their rankings removed from the BCS formula. The AP is the ones that "gave" USC a MNC when the BCS awarded LSU won the BCS title game. A split championship can happen, it just won't happen this year.

goingoneight
12/18/2007, 11:15 PM
I hope not... Splitting an NC is horrible... Whoever wins the game gets it

Yeah... there are schools who claim shares in every National Championship we claim with the exception of 2000.

chriscappel
12/19/2007, 12:23 AM
Yeah... there are schools who claim shares in every National Championship we claim with the exception of 2000.

It's ridiculous!

Pepper
12/19/2007, 12:39 AM
I'm surprised that this wasn't mentioned, but I think a lot of the odds hinge on the play of the rest of the Big 12. IF the Big 12 were to win 6 games or more including OU, then the Big 12 Champs would look a whole lot better than the other conference champions. Still I'd be happy with a #2 ranking in the end.

chriscappel
12/19/2007, 12:43 AM
Either way... We don't get a crystal ball... So it really doesn't matter... One more win woulda put us there... But... thats the way the cookie crumbles

OKC Sooner
12/19/2007, 01:07 AM
Assume OU ends up as #1 in the AP. Would OU paint the year on the pressbox? Feel free to quote odds.

Crucifax Autumn
12/19/2007, 02:28 AM
I think they should, but also make it say (AP) in parnetheses.

Stoop Dawg
12/19/2007, 11:29 AM
Assume OU ends up as #1 in the AP. Would OU paint the year on the pressbox? Feel free to quote odds.

DB says it's 70-40.

OUmillenium
12/19/2007, 11:45 AM
I normally HATE the idea of a split championship...BUT...

having Lester on the other side of the split would be hilarious!

MiccoMacey
12/19/2007, 12:01 PM
I am 100% against it.

Dan Thompson
12/19/2007, 05:15 PM
Maybe this would work

2008*

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/19/2007, 05:43 PM
I'm not saying we should boldly proclaim it if it happens but I'd love to see the situation necessary for it to happen to play out.

I would only refer to 2007 as a NC if I were responding to a Bama or USC fan that counts every year that Menudo got a new band member as a NC.

stoopified
12/19/2007, 06:13 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzcould happen,AP might want to re-establish their importance.Man I hate it when I sleep type.

Crucifax Autumn
12/20/2007, 12:25 AM
Maybe you should quit taking Ambien...next thing you know you'll be eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in your underwear while gassing up the car at the local Chevron...All while sleeping!