PDA

View Full Version : Why don't ALL teams go to a bowl game?

Stoop Dawg
12/17/2007, 11:57 PM
I mean, it's just a meaningless end-of-the-year reward for a group of guys who played their heart out all year. It doesn't interfere with their studies and it brings big bucks to the host city. Plus, you can clearly see from ticket sales and TV revenue that CFB is the most popular sport in the world. How can MORE of it be bad? It gives fans a chance to travel, not to mention PLENTY of time to plan their vacation around the game.

As far as I can see, there is NO downside to the bowl system, so why not expand it? We could almost double the number of bowls if we just let EVERY TEAM play a bowl game.

snp
12/18/2007, 12:06 AM
Shirley you can't be serious.

silverwheels
12/18/2007, 12:07 AM
With Western Kentucky in the process of becoming the 120th FBS team, that makes it an even 60 bowl games. Maybe Taft Stadium could host one between OSU and Houston or something.

Stoop Dawg
12/18/2007, 12:12 AM
With Western Kentucky in the process of becoming the 120th FBS team, that makes it an even 60 bowl games. Maybe Taft Stadium could host one between OSU and Houston or something.

Think of the tradition, the pagentry, the money for OKC!!

"The Chesapeake Energy Taft Bowl" - it's perfect!

Who wouldn't want to attend THAT?

IronSooner
12/18/2007, 12:25 AM
It's an aggie troll!! ;)

tommieharris91
12/18/2007, 01:36 AM
Don't all teams go to bowl games already?? :confused:

Crucifax Autumn
12/18/2007, 01:43 AM
Only the ones who are in the top 10 in their conferences!

NYC Poke
12/18/2007, 01:48 AM
The bowl market's mass oversaturation is made possible by the NCAA's lax standards for attaining bowl certification. All an aspiring bowl host has to do to get rubber-stamped is pay a $12,000 licensing fee to the NCAA, get at least one commitment from a partnering conference, and convince a bank to guaranteea $2 million line of credit. No word on whether it also needs to show two forms of ID. To maintain certification, the bowl must pay at least $750,000 to each participating team and average at least 25,000 in attendance over a three-year period. The bowl certification committee claims to keep a close watch on the total number [of bowl games], wanting to avoid a potentially embarrassing situation where not enough eligible teams are available. But it hasn't invoked a moratorium on new games since 2001, when the NCAA's Football Study OVersight Committee recommended that the Bowl Certification Committee exercise an "open market" philosophy. In other words, if aspiring organizers for the Peoria Bowl can come up with the cash and an interested conference, the by golly, the Peoria Bowl could become a reality

from Stewart Mandel's Bowl's Polls & Tattered Souls p. 198 (I have it on my desk right now).

Peoria Bowl, here we come!

Crucifax Autumn
12/18/2007, 02:08 AM
If I can gather a few extra bucks I'm gonna have the Crucifax's living room bowl sponsored by 7-11 next year!

goingoneight
12/18/2007, 02:20 AM
Honestly, that makes sense. We're already rewarding mediocrity and guessing who deserves to be in the championship game, so why not? It would be interesting to see what the two worst teams in the country do against eachother.

Tell ya what... let's have elections next year instead of football games. We can measure size, speed, namesake, and put together "conference strength" and no one will get hurt by evil competition, horse-collars and such. Coaches will be rewarded for their antics and judged by their alma mater's past reputation.

Crucifax Autumn
12/18/2007, 02:23 AM
Coaches will be rewarded for their antics and judged by their alma mater's past reputation

So OU and the pokes would be tied for National Champion?

Sooner_Havok
12/18/2007, 01:37 PM
It isn't right that some teams don't get a bowl game. That hurts their feelings. Teachers have been urged to stop grading in red, because it hurts the kids feelings, so all 120 teams should get a bowl game, it is only fair.

By 1940, there were 5 major college bowl games: the Rose Bowl, the Cotton Bowl, the Orange Bowl, the Sugar Bowl, and the Sun Bowl. By 1950, the number had increased to 8 games. In 1960 there were still 8 major college bowl games, but by 1970 the number had increased again, to 11 games. The number continued to increase, to 15 games in 1980, to 19 games in 1990, 25 games in the year 2000 and ultimately, 32 games in 2006. As the number of bowl games has increased, the number of games a team would need to win to be invited to a bowl game has decreased.

Anyone remember when going bowling meant something? When it wasn't something handed out to teams that broke even, or finished one or two games over .500? The BCS isn't the only thing broken in college football.

fadada1
12/18/2007, 01:46 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$

Desert Sapper
12/18/2007, 01:53 PM
Gosh darnit, those kids are trying their hearts out on the football field. Let's make them all feel like winners and have a group hug at the end of the season. Yay!

fadada1
12/18/2007, 02:03 PM
Gosh darnit, those kids are trying their hearts out on the football field. Let's make them all feel like winners and have a group hug at the end of the season. Yay!
"South Central Wisconsin Milk Producers Bowl" participant ribbon has a certain ring to it.

Sooner_Bob
12/18/2007, 02:09 PM
I heard Roy Williams was going to sponsor the "Horse Collar Bowl". The winning coach gets a $500 gift certificate to a local tack shop.

Stoop Dawg
12/18/2007, 03:00 PM
Anyone remember when going bowling meant something? When it wasn't something handed out to teams that broke even, or finished one or two games over .500?

You're missing the point. The bowls generate revenue for the host cities and for the conferences. They are a vacation for the fans, planned weeks in advance. They don't impact the academic schedule of the players at all and give them time to go home to see their family too.

And don't forget the tradition and pagentry associated with these bowls. Who can forget the 2000 "Poulan WeedEater Bowl"? That game was a classic!

There are no down-sides to having bowl games, only up-sides. So why not let EVERY team go to one?

Sooner_Havok
12/18/2007, 03:09 PM
You're missing the point. The bowls generate revenue for the host cities and for the conferences. They are a vacation for the fans, planned weeks in advance. They don't impact the academic schedule of the players at all and give them time to go home to see their family too.

And don't forget the tradition and pagentry associated with these bowls. Who can forget the 2000 "Poulan WeedEater Bowl"? That game was a classic!

There are no down-sides to having bowl games, only up-sides. So why not let EVERY team go to one?

i hate you:D

OklahomaTuba
12/18/2007, 03:22 PM
This bowl system thing is just too good to not let other sports do it.

How about bowl games for basketball around Easter???

Jacie
12/18/2007, 03:35 PM
There is an NCAA rule that a team has to have a six wins versus teams in the same division. There are seven teams out of the 64 playing in the 32 bowl games that have a 6-6 record, with one game, the Independence Bowl, pitting two 6-6 teams against each other. I realize die hard college football fans will watch any game but do you really think a bowl game pitting a couple of 7, 8, 9, or 10 loss teams against each other is going to outdraw reruns of American Gladiator? If network execs don't see the money in it they won't show the game. If the game isn't televised, how is the bowl sponsor supposed to make anything off it? The 32-game bowl schedule is already scraping the bottom of the barrel as there were only 72 bowl eligible teams to fill the 64 bowl game slots. It isn't like the basketball tournament where there are a large number of teams crying over being left out. No, this idea is just plain silly.

TexasSooner01
12/18/2007, 03:57 PM
Shirley you can't be serious.

Who is Shirley? :confused:

:D

1890MilesToNorman
12/18/2007, 04:00 PM
I played in the Turkey Bowl when I was 11 so I have had my bowl game. Putnam City Satellites against some team called the Tornado's down in Texas. The Tornado's won 17 to 14, it was my first trip out of state all by myself. I think the game was played in Prairie View TX.

I wonder if the Turkey Bowl is bringing in big sponsor dollars these days?

Stoop Dawg
12/18/2007, 05:40 PM
This bowl system thing is just too good to not let other sports do it.

How about bowl games for basketball around Easter???

While I admire your spirit and enthusiasm, sadly, the logistics just won't allow it. Plus, you'll never convince the university presidents to change.

Stoop Dawg
12/18/2007, 05:43 PM
There is an NCAA rule that a team has to have a six wins versus teams in the same division. There are seven teams out of the 64 playing in the 32 bowl games that have a 6-6 record, with one game, the Independence Bowl, pitting two 6-6 teams against each other. I realize die hard college football fans will watch any game but do you really think a bowl game pitting a couple of 7, 8, 9, or 10 loss teams against each other is going to outdraw reruns of American Gladiator? If network execs don't see the money in it they won't show the game. If the game isn't televised, how is the bowl sponsor supposed to make anything off it? The 32-game bowl schedule is already scraping the bottom of the barrel as there were only 72 bowl eligible teams to fill the 64 bowl game slots. It isn't like the basketball tournament where there are a large number of teams crying over being left out. No, this idea is just plain silly.

Here's another poor soul who just don't "get" the tradition, pagentry, and uniqueness that the bowl games bring to college football. :(

stoopified
12/18/2007, 06:02 PM
Arent there 28 Bowl games or someting like that?That is enough bowl games for nearly half of D-1( 56/119).

Desert Sapper
12/18/2007, 07:28 PM
"South Central Wisconsin Milk Producers Bowl" participant ribbon has a certain ring to it.

Sort of better than the Poulan Weedeater Bowl or the Papajohns.com Bowl. Gack!:eek:

Sooner_Havok
12/18/2007, 08:48 PM
Here's another poor soul who just don't "get" the tradition, pagentry, and uniqueness that the bowl games bring to college football. :(

I still hate you :D

OKC Sooner
12/19/2007, 01:19 AM
... and then, the 60 winners could participate in the Div. 1 playoff :D

Crucifax Autumn
12/19/2007, 02:23 AM
Humor...Arr-Arr!

http://caughtinthexfire.mu.nu/archives/com_rwilliams_mork.jpg