PDA

View Full Version : Playoff systems won't work.

OUAndy1807
12/17/2007, 08:59 PM
The BCS is as good as we're going to get. These guys are athletes, but they're also students and if anyone really thinks that the added weeks of play wouldn't hurt their studies, you're wrong. Also, there is really no good way to do it and incorporate all the bowls.

Get over it. A playoff system realistically could never work.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/17/2007, 09:07 PM
Mine will because it involves connect four and the octagon

sooner KB
12/17/2007, 11:09 PM
Obviously a joke.

Jdog
12/17/2007, 11:20 PM
A 4-team playoff wouldn't have any of these problems. Two teams would play one extra game during christmas break, so it would have no effect on studies.

Who said anything about incorporating all of the bowls? Just have the 4 BCS bowls alternate every year for the two playoff games. Keep all of the bowls the same.

What is so unrealistic about this?

To Andy's point, how do the small colleges do it - doesn't their playoff system effect their studies?
I mean they have their playoff games in the middle of the week between Thanksgiving to the middle of December - right when most D1 schools are having their finals?

Cam
12/17/2007, 11:22 PM
We'll see a plus 1 in 2011, but not much more than that.

RacerX
12/17/2007, 11:26 PM
Plus 1 sucks.

Andy is wrong.

silverwheels
12/17/2007, 11:29 PM
The BCS is as good as we're going to get. These guys are athletes, but they're also students and if anyone really thinks that the added weeks of play wouldn't hurt their studies, you're wrong. Also, there is really no good way to do it and incorporate all the bowls.

Doesn't seem to hurt the FCS, Div. II, Div. III, etc.

Leroy Lizard
12/17/2007, 11:33 PM
A 4-team playoff wouldn't have any of these problems.

The proper term is "Four-team interim playoff." All playoffs become 16-team playoffs eventually. Does anyone really doubt it?

sanantoniosooner
12/17/2007, 11:35 PM
The proper term is "Four-team interim playoff." All playoffs become 16-team playoffs eventually. Does anyone really doubt it?
This is one point where I completely depart from you.

Curly Bill
12/17/2007, 11:43 PM

I completely depart from you here too...all playoffs eventually become 64 team playoffs. :P

silverwheels
12/17/2007, 11:44 PM
I completely depart from you here too...all playoffs eventually become 64 team playoffs. :P

Except for FCS, Div. II, Div. III.

Curly Bill
12/17/2007, 11:46 PM
Except for FCS, Div. II, Div. III.

Yeah, but we're talking real football here now, not that piddly little stuff. :P

RacerX
12/17/2007, 11:47 PM
I completely depart form you here...all playoffs eventually become 65 team playoffs.:D

Curly Bill
12/17/2007, 11:48 PM
I completely depart form you here...all playoffs eventually become 65 team playoffs.:D

Oh yeah! I forgot the playoff to get into the playoff. ;)

silverwheels
12/17/2007, 11:49 PM
Yeah, but we're talking real football here now, not that piddly little stuff. :P

Well then I'd like to see the 64-team tourney in "real football".

Stoop Dawg
12/17/2007, 11:50 PM

Solid, well-thought analysis. I'm convinced.

Curly Bill
12/17/2007, 11:51 PM
Well then I'd like to see the 64-team tourney in "real football".

Which is the point of many on here: no one will be satisfied with a 4 or 8 team playoff, it will grow, and grow, and grow, and grow, and grow........

silverwheels
12/17/2007, 11:53 PM
Which is the point of many on here: no one will be satisfied with a 4 or 8 team playoff, it will grow, and grow, and grow, and grow, and grow........

Uh, no. I meant for you to show me a football league with a 64-team tourney at the end.

Curly Bill
12/17/2007, 11:57 PM
Uh, no. I meant for you to show me a football league with a 64-team tourney at the end.

Nah, I want a plan where everyone is in the playoffs. In fact the entire season is just one long playoff. If playoffs are so awesome I propose we ditch the regular season and get right into the meat and potatos real by-gawd settle it on the field football. :D

silverwheels
12/17/2007, 11:59 PM
Nah, I want a plan where everyone is in the playoffs. In fact the entire season is just one long playoff. If playoffs are so awesome I propose we ditch the regular season and get right into the meat and potatos real by-gawd settle it on the field football. :D

Yeah. That would be so awesome. Like the most awesome thing of all time.

Stoop Dawg
12/18/2007, 12:00 AM
I want a plan where everyone is in a bowl game. In fact, bowls are so awesome I propose we ditch the regular season and just have bowl games all year. Think of all the money the host cities will make!

Curly Bill
12/18/2007, 12:01 AM
Yeah. That would be so awesome. Like the most awesome thing of all time.

I knew you'd like it, and so my work is done here. :D

silverwheels
12/18/2007, 12:02 AM
I knew you'd like it, and so my work is done here. :D

You should run for President. Not the U.S., though. It's too important. Maybe like Latvia or something.

OUAndy1807
12/18/2007, 12:03 AM
you guys fell for it.

Stoop Dawg
12/18/2007, 12:04 AM
you guys fell for it.

No, you fell for me tricking you into thinking I fell for what you thought I was going to fall for!

Ha!

silverwheels
12/18/2007, 12:04 AM
you guys fell for it.

Well, we haven't had a new playoff thread in approximately 3 minutes. I'm waiting for the whole first page to be covered in playoff threads.

With the exception of one: Howard *************** vs. Mike ****** drinking contest (who would win?)

Curly Bill
12/18/2007, 12:05 AM
I want a plan where everyone is in a bowl game. In fact, bowls are so awesome I propose we ditch the regular season and just have bowl games all year. Think of all the money the host cities will make!

I'm all for it!
...and every team would get a trophy of some kind
...every player would receive some type of post-season honor
...every coach would be a coach of the year
...everyone's cheerleaders would be the most spirited

oh, the glory of it all!

Curly Bill
12/18/2007, 12:07 AM
You should run for President. Not the U.S., though. It's too important. Maybe like Latvia or something.

President of Latvia? (evil laugh here) now you've got me thinking. ;)

GottaHavePride
12/18/2007, 12:12 AM
No, you fell for me tricking you into thinking I fell for what you thought I was going to fall for!

Ha!

You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders!

Stoop Dawg
12/18/2007, 12:15 AM
Never get involved in a land war in Asia?

GottaHavePride
12/18/2007, 12:18 AM
But only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!

Ash
12/18/2007, 12:36 AM

I thought we already have that? Isnt' that the beauty of the bowl subdivision? :twinkies: :twinkies: :twinkies:

NYC Poke
12/18/2007, 12:43 AM

I think the entire season should be bowl games.

OUGuf
12/18/2007, 02:00 AM
I think they should expand the season to 10 months so I dont have to watch Basketball, hockey, or baseball.

OUGuf
12/18/2007, 02:00 AM
I think they should expand the season to 10 months so I dont have to watch Basketball, hockey, or baseball.

Crucifax Autumn
12/18/2007, 02:12 AM
That's the best idea I've heard all day!

goingoneight
12/18/2007, 02:29 AM

:les: DON'T FORGET NOTER DAMN!!!111111!!!111!2345

goingoneight
12/18/2007, 02:30 AM

I think we have a winnar!!! :D

Leroy Lizard
12/18/2007, 04:49 AM

Screw academics. I'm all for any playoff idea that gets basketball, hockey, and baseball off the tv. NBA too.

jrsooner
12/18/2007, 06:47 AM
Nah, I want a plan where everyone is in the playoffs. In fact the entire season is just one long playoff. If playoffs are so awesome I propose we ditch the regular season and get right into the meat and potatos real by-gawd settle it on the field football. :DThis is where I depart from you... I think it should be a season long playoff, but each game is sudden death. Lose one, and your season is over. Just think, we would only have to watch one Michigan or Notre Dame game last season. :)

oudivesherpa
12/18/2007, 07:30 AM
Plus 1 sucks.

Andy is wrong.

Plus 1 is better than what we have now. THE Ohio State Univ. can play only Ohio Teams and Big Ten Teams then get to the NC Game? In the Plus One System, the NC game would be after the bowls, Everyone would have to play a strong non-conference foe and then the two highest teams would play each other. Yes, a plus one sucks, but the BCS systems Blows (or is that just a figure of speech).
Do you really think tOSU needs to be in the NC game?

Curly Bill
12/18/2007, 09:12 AM
This is where I depart from you... I think it should be a season long playoff, but each game is sudden death. Lose one, and your season is over. Just think, we would only have to watch one Michigan or Notre Dame game last season. :)

I think I could get behind this idea. ;)

edit...are we sure we don't want double elimination? ;)

Sooner_Bob
12/18/2007, 09:15 AM
Double elimination? Why not.

Might as well create the football version of the NIT too.

Curly Bill
12/18/2007, 09:21 AM
Double elimination? Why not.

Might as well create the football version of the NIT too.

There you go! Basketball has playoffs & therefore football should to is a refrain I keep hearing on here, so why not an NIT as well? ;)