PDA

View Full Version : Best NCAA Div 1 Playoff Plan (Football)

frankensooner
12/17/2007, 10:09 AM
feel free to discuss the merits of your ideal play-off scenario.

frankensooner
12/17/2007, 10:16 AM
Don't be shy, go ahead and vote. If you think I missed anything, please feel free to add a comment.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/17/2007, 10:46 AM
Don't be shy, go ahead and vote. If you think I missed anything, please feel free to add a comment.

Eliminate the BCS, go back to traditional Bowl Conference tie-ins. :D

birddog
12/17/2007, 10:51 AM
heh, franken loves poles.

Desert Sapper
12/17/2007, 11:18 AM
8 Teams, just like I outline here:

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2155579

stoops the eternal pimp
12/17/2007, 11:25 AM
have a 16 team sack race

frankensooner
12/17/2007, 12:21 PM
65 team rock/paper/scissors.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/17/2007, 12:27 PM
I don't think there is an ideal playoff scenario but I think a 4-team playoff is the closest. I say 4 teams instead of 2 simply so that eliminates a situation where 3 undefeated BCS teams are competing for 2 spots. #5 will still have a gripe. There are simply too many D-I teams and 6 big conferences all playing by different sets of rules, plus Notre Dame.

Personally I would like to see 6 BCS conferences of 12 teams each with each ocnference having a CCG game. I don't see how ND is going to be forced into joining a conference though and there would be a whole other fight as far as which teams from Non-BCS leagues would fill BCS conference spots. Pac-10 add Boise St, Hawaii or maybe Fresno St?

It's not that the BCS is the best it can be but when you start comparing it head-to-head with other scenarios...it isn't THAT bad.

sanantoniosooner
12/17/2007, 12:31 PM
300+ team playoff like I outlined in another thread.

Curly Bill
12/17/2007, 12:34 PM

300+ my foot! ...I want an eleventy-billion team playoff.

If playoffs are so allsome I want everyone to get to participate and share in the allsomeness. :D

stoops the eternal pimp
12/17/2007, 12:35 PM

That really is the only fair way I guess. And make it double elimination.

SoonerMachine
12/17/2007, 12:36 PM
Here's how I would arrange it:

2007 BCS 8-team Playoff Formula:

1. After the regular season ends, rank the eleven D–1A conference champions by the BCS:

BCS Rank | Champion | Conference

#1 – Ohio State – Big 10
#2 – LSU – SEC
#3 – Virginia Tech – ACC
#4 – OU – Big 12
#7 – USC – Pacific 10
#9 – West Virginia – Big East (Note: If the AP poll was utilized, then Hawaii would replace West Virginia)
#10 – Hawaii – WAC
#17 – BYU – Mountain West
#30 – UCF – Conference USA
(NR) – Central Michigan – MAC
(NR) – Florida Atlantic – Sun Belt

2. Select the six highest ranked conference champions (regardless of conference):

#1 – Ohio State – Big 10
#2 – LSU – SEC
#3 – Virginia Tech – ACC
#4 – OU – Big 12
#7 – USC – Pacific 10
#9 – West Virginia – Big East

3. Select the two highest ranked at-large teams (conference or independent):

#5 – Georgia – SEC
#6 – Missouri – Big 12

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Round:

#1 Ohio State hosts #9 West Virginia

#2 LSU hosts #7 USC

#3 Virginia Tech hosts #4 OU

#5 Georgia hosts #6 Missouri (at-large elimination game)*

2nd Round:

Highest rank hosts lowest rank

Second highest hosts third lowest

3rd Round:

Winners play in the national championship game.

*In the event an at-large team is an independent, then the 1st round will proceed as follows:

1st Round:

Highest rank hosts lowest rank
Second highest hosts seventh lowest
Third highest hosts sixth lowest
Forth highest hosts fifth lowest

Note: All bowl games remain, including invitations to the six teams eliminated prior to the championship.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/17/2007, 12:38 PM
So Mizzou gets a possible 3rd shot at OU..

sanantoniosooner
12/17/2007, 12:40 PM
So Mizzou gets a possible 3rd shot at OU..
This is an interesting point.

I changed my mind.

OU should play MU in a best out of 13 series and the winner is the national champion.

All the other teams have a playoff for a chance at the Poulan Weedeater Bowl.

usmc-sooner
12/17/2007, 12:43 PM
I hate the idea of a playoff

sanantoniosooner
12/17/2007, 12:45 PM
I hate the idea of a playoff
I hate the idea of you hating the idea of a playoff.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/17/2007, 12:46 PM
I hate the idea of you hating the idea of a playoff.

I hate the idea of you hating the idea that he hates the idea of a playoff.

frankensooner
12/17/2007, 12:48 PM
If I had to pick one, JK's sounds the best. The others really sound kind of stupid.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105475

sanantoniosooner
12/17/2007, 12:59 PM
One more time, I will give a serious reply

The clash is between people that want to open the field up to more teams and people that want to maintain tradition and the positives of the bowl system.

To me, the logical step is to play the top four team and have a +1. This pacifies people on both sided of the topic and gets everyone closer to what they want.

It just seems that most playoff lovers aren't content with a slight modification. They want to trash everything and start over. It seems stupid and very unlikely to me that it will ever happen in that manner.

SoonerMachine
12/17/2007, 01:07 PM
Rematches are always a possibly with any playoff system. But, by forcing the at-large teams to face each other, nearly all rematches are avoided in the first and even the second round. So, do we throw the baby out with the bath water? Is a possible rematch worse than no chance - I say it's worth it.

And if you want to realign the conferences:

ACC

(North)

Virginia
Virginia Tech.
Wake Forest
Duke
North Carolina
N.C. St.
Rutgers
Appalachian St. *

(South)

East Carolina
Georgia Tech.
Clemson
Florida St.
South Florida
Miami
UCF
Florida International

SOUTHCENTRAL

(North)

Colorado
Colorado St.
Kansas
Nebraska
Missouri
Kansas St.
Iowa St.
Northern Iowa *

(South)

Oklahoma
Texas Tech.
Texas
Oklahoma St.
Texas A&M
Baylor
Tulsa
Houston

BIG EAST

(East)

Army
Boston College
Maryland
Connecticut
Syracuse
Temple
Buffalo U.
New Hampshire U. *

(West)

West Virginia
Pittsburgh
Louisville
Marshall
Akron
Cincinnati
Kent St.
Youngstown St. *

BIG SWEET 16

(Great Lakes)

Michigan
Ohio St.
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Minnesota
Michigan St.
Central Michigan
Western Michigan

(Great Plains)

Penn St.
Notre Dame
Purdue
Iowa
Indiana
Illinois
Ohio U.
Ball St.

PAC 16

(North)

California
Stanford
Washington
Washington St.
Oregon
Oregon St.
San Jose St.
Eastern Washington *

(South)

USC
UCLA
UNLV
Fresno St.
San Diego St.
Arizona St.
Arizona
Cal. Poly. SLO *

SEC

(East)

Tennessee
Florida
Georgia
Vanderbilt
Kentucky
South Carolina
Middle Tenn. St.
Florida Atlantic

(West)

LSU
Mississippi
Auburn
Arkansas
Alabama
Mississippi St.
La. Tech.
La. Lafayette

BIG WEST

(North)

Utah
Utah St.
BYU
Idaho
Boise St.
Nevada
Wyoming
Montana *

(South)

SMU
Hawaii
North Texas
New Mexico
New Mexico St.
TCU
Air Force
UTEP

MID–AMERICAN

(North)

Navy
Toledo
Miami (OH)
Bowling Green
Northern Illinois
Arkansas St.
Eastern Michigan
Western Kentucky *

(South)

Rice
Memphis
Southern Miss.
Troy
UAB
Tulane
La. Monroe
Sam Houston St. *

* Formerly Division 1-AA

How it works:

· Division 1-A (128 universities) will be comprised of eight regional (approx.) conferences each composed of sixteen teams

· At the end of the regular season there will be 8 conference champions. In the regular season you will play every opponent in your division plus one team in the opposite division. A championship title game will determine the conference playoff representative

· The BCS formula will be used for seeding only, NOT participation

· All conference championship games will commence one week prior to the Thanksgiving Day weekend

· The playoffs will begin on the following Saturday as follows: #1 will host #8, #2 will host #7, etc.

· One week later, the 2nd round commences with #1 hosting #4 and #2 hosting #3

· New Year’s Day – National Championship game with #1 (designated home team & colors) hosting #2

· All current bowl games, as well as the rotation of the national championship game will remain as scheduled

sanantoniosooner
12/17/2007, 01:10 PM
Could you crank the numbers and let me know what kind of odds the Klingons have on running the table?

stoops the eternal pimp
12/17/2007, 01:15 PM
I, SIR, HAVE NEVER THROWN A BABY OUT WITH THE WATER! but i have thrown a couple of midgets in my day

frankensooner
12/17/2007, 02:38 PM
Could someone please explain to me how the 10 team playoff works? What do you do after the first round?

Curly Bill
12/17/2007, 03:04 PM
Could someone please explain to me how the 10 team playoff works? What do you do after the first round?

Teams 1 thru 8 play each other, the other two teams are given NFL wild cards. :D

frankensooner
12/17/2007, 03:07 PM
can nfl wildcards be traded for cash and prizes?

silverwheels
12/17/2007, 03:07 PM
Eliminate the BCS, go back to traditional Bowl Conference tie-ins. :D

If we can't have an NCAA tournament in Div. 1-A, I'd rather see this than the BCS. At least back then they didn't pretend that the National Title was legit.

Lott's Bandana
12/17/2007, 03:10 PM
1 team playoff.

Heck, I do it all the time...

:twinkies:

Curly Bill
12/17/2007, 03:11 PM
can nfl wildcards be traded for cash and prizes?

The two college/NFL wildcard teams will be given half the gate receipts at their respective NFL playoff games. If chosen to play in the games they must participate as part of the combined college/NFL playoffs, or they will be relegated to playing against club teams comprised of prisoners from the country's various penal institutions.

sanantoniosooner
12/17/2007, 03:13 PM
LeRoy Jenkins is a playoff guy.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/17/2007, 03:25 PM
I want the Bowls. Fine, you say.

You want playoffs. Fine, I say.

It really is very simple:

1. Return to traditional conference tie-ins to the bowls.

2. Post bowling, use the coaches and AP polls to select the top 4 teams with a fairly simple tie-breaker system in case of discrepancy.

3. Play "the final four" at a single neutral site with the championship game preceeding Super Bowl weekend. Weekend 1 would feature teams 1vs4 at 2:30, teams 2vs3 at 7:00. (How fun would that be to attend?) Weekend 2 championship game at primetime.

Best of all worlds: Scraps the BCmesS. Keeps the tradition. Gives us a playoff.

Done.

Curly Bill
12/17/2007, 03:29 PM
I want the Bowls. Fine, you say.

You want playoffs. Fine, I say.

It really is very simple:

1. Return to traditional conference tie-ins to the bowls.

2. Post bowling, use the coaches and AP polls to select the top 4 teams with a fairly simple tie-breaker system in case of discrepancy.

3. Play "the final four" at a single neutral site with the championship game preceeding Super Bowl weekend. Weekend 1 would feature teams 1vs4 at 2:30, teams 2vs3 at 7:00. (How fun would that be to attend?) Weekend 2 championship game at primetime.

Best of all worlds: Scraps the BCmesS. Keeps the tradition. Gives us a playoff.

Done.

...but no one will settle for just 4 teams long-term. If 4 teams are good, then 8 would be great, and if 8 are great how awesome would 16 be, and...you get the picture.

texas bandman
12/17/2007, 03:32 PM
Four BCS Bowls
Take the top four BCS seeds to the BCS Bowls alternating years for the championship bracket (one year Orange and Fiesta, the next the Sugar and the Rose). Approximately a week later have the winners meet in the BCS Championship game. No less than 6 days or more than 12 days preparation for the championship game. (Six for a Sunday New Years Game, twelve for a Monday New Years).

Just my humble opinion. (Or keep it the way it is and keep everyone complaining about the problems with the current system) I think that OU will be in the mix for the NC whichever we use.

silverwheels
12/17/2007, 03:34 PM
...but no one will settle for just 4 teams long-term. If 4 teams are good, then 8 would be great, and if 8 are great how awesome would 16 be, and...you get the picture.

16 would be the most number of teams. Div. 1-AA has roughly 140 teams, and their tournament has 16 teams.

birddog
12/17/2007, 03:43 PM

the others get a free pass to the holy grail of parades.

and if they're lucky, they get to walk with the woody wood pecker balloon.

silverwheels
12/17/2007, 03:46 PM

Teams 1-6 get a bye. 7 plays 10; 8 plays 9. Winner of 7-10 plays #2 while the winner of 8-9 plays #1.

frankensooner
12/17/2007, 03:48 PM
just remember I am laying on the love til my hammer breaks.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/17/2007, 03:55 PM
I don't care what scenario you come up with as long as Florida International gets the bye

stoops the eternal pimp
12/17/2007, 03:59 PM

Hey you can quit hitting me with your hammer until you come out with a new poll. I m also recommending that your poll be the new poll in the BCS

Stoop Dawg
12/17/2007, 04:02 PM

So this is one of the one-third?

OUDoc
12/17/2007, 04:10 PM
You'll get spekorrhea.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/17/2007, 04:21 PM
spekengitis

birddog
12/17/2007, 04:40 PM
spekerickets.

Desert Sapper
12/17/2007, 05:21 PM
spekimmune deficiency syndrome

sanantoniosooner
12/17/2007, 05:22 PM
So this is one of the one-third?
If you keep stalking me I'm going to have to get a restraining order.;)

Don't you have a playoff thread to start?

Stoop Dawg
12/17/2007, 05:53 PM
If you keep stalking me I'm going to have to get a restraining order.;)

A restraining order hasn't helped any of my previous victims, but if it makes you feel better then go for it! ;)

Don't you have a playoff thread to start?

Damn flood-control only let's me start one every 60 seconds.

Crap, now I have to wait 60 more.......

Harry Beanbag
12/17/2007, 06:32 PM
If I had to pick one, JK's sounds the best. The others really sound kind of stupid.

Oh, we were supposed to come up with good playoff ideas? I misunderstood then. :)

sooner KB
12/18/2007, 02:27 AM
Which is the best plan you ask? Let's see...

4 teams would have been too few teams this year. 16 teams makes too many games. An 8-team playoff wouldn't disrupt finals. Let's go with 8. It makes sense.

The next question is: which 8 teams get in? To decide this, lets first determine which set of 8 team would be the least controversial. Remember, there will always be controversy.

This would obviously be OSU, LSU, OU, UGA, VT, USC, UH, and WVU. The team on the line of controversy is UM, but why include them when they lost twice to OU?

The next question is: what kind of formula would have got those 8 teams into a playoff? The first one I can think of off the top of my head is selecting the 6 major conference champions, the highest ranked mid-major, and the highest ranked team out of everyone left.

Another possibility that would have rendered these 8 teams would be to select the 6 major conference champions, and have 2 at-large bids that go to the highest ranked teams besides those 6. Included would be a rule that says if a team goes undefeated and is in the top 10, it gets an automatic bid.

Desert Sapper
12/18/2007, 01:08 PM

YOU'RE STUPID!!! Nyah! :D