View Full Version : a playoff system

jk the sooner fan
12/17/2007, 06:56 AM
here's what i'd do

get rid of all non-conference games

realign the conferences so that they are even or near even in membership

you play your conference schedule

you MUST play in a conference championship

from the strength of your conference, and as a champion (and runner up) - playoff teams are seeded

use all of the current bowl games to handle the playoffs

end up with a college super bowl

Sooner70
12/17/2007, 07:48 AM
It is a bit of an ueven field right now. The teams that have to play for a confrence championship are both advantaged to a degree (move up in BCS if they win), but it's definitely another chance to lose or not look good. Also, seems strange that OSU was able to sit at home move up in the ratings BCS rankings by not playing. Strange system we have.

Scott D
12/17/2007, 09:19 AM
jk you forgot to say you'd relegate Notre Dame to Division 3 where they might have a winning record.

OKLA21FAN
12/17/2007, 09:22 AM
don't forget to cancel finals!!!!

:pop:

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/17/2007, 09:52 AM
here's what i'd do

get rid of all non-conference games

realign the conferences so that they are even or near even in membership

you play your conference schedule

you MUST play in a conference championship

from the strength of your conference, and as a champion (and runner up) - playoff teams are seeded

use all of the current bowl games to handle the playoffs

end up with a college super bowl

Not a terrible plan overall but.....

If there are no non-conf games how do you determine the strength of the conferences other than letting voters simply presume that the SEC is the best league every year?

frankensooner
12/17/2007, 10:15 AM
This should be a pole.

OUGuf
12/17/2007, 10:34 AM
This should be a pole.

The kind of Pole that girls dance on??? I'm all for that.

usmc-sooner
12/17/2007, 12:41 PM
playoff's stink

Sooner_Bob
12/17/2007, 01:06 PM
I'm telling you that the only way any playoff system will work is if they split the FBS into two divisions of 60 teams each. Otherwise you'll always have the "have nots" and "never hads" screaming for a piece.

If Div. I-AA, II, and III can have a playoff there's no reason the FBS can't.

frankensooner
12/17/2007, 01:08 PM
But of all the plans isn't this one the best?

OUGuf
12/17/2007, 01:31 PM
Personally I think a +1 system would be the best.
It would keep the current bowl system where it is, and let the top 4 teams in the BCS fight it out on the field where it belongs for the Title.
That way the season is still very much relevant, and the pagentry and money still flows into the post season bowls.

Plus its one more game of Ncaa Football to watch which is fine by me. January-August is the worst time of the year, although I do get alot of Madden in during that time.

Howzit
12/17/2007, 02:08 PM
But what about if a natural catastrophe or terrorist event occurs and some games are cancelled? I don't see anything about that.

OKLA21FAN
12/17/2007, 02:12 PM
But what about if a natural catastrophe or terrorist event occurs and some games are cancelled? I don't see anything about that.
excuse me sir, but FINALS cannot be canceled or postponed for any reason!

or so we are told

sooner KB
12/18/2007, 01:40 AM
Personally I think a +1 system would be the best.
It would keep the current bowl system where it is, and let the top 4 teams in the BCS fight it out on the field where it belongs for the Title.
That way the season is still very much relevant, and the pagentry and money still flows into the post season bowls.

Plus its one more game of Ncaa Football to watch which is fine by me. January-August is the worst time of the year, although I do get alot of Madden in during that time.

So you would have prefered that OU been forced to play one more game, even after going undefeated with wins over Neb, KSU, UT, and FSU?

Remember, +1 isn't always necessary, and would sometimes be unfair. What if OU went undefeated some year and the other top 4 teams had two losses. Now say OU lost the +1 game. OU would still have a better record than the team we beat, with a "good" loss.

A better idea would be to have a +1 game only if there is a split title. It is also interesting to note that this would probably mean AP writers would intentionally vote a team up if there was any controversy at all.

Basically, you either have a hands-down champion (OU 2000) or a +1 due to controversy (USC vs. LSU 2003).

OUGuf
12/18/2007, 01:55 AM
So you would have prefered that OU been forced to play one more game, even after going undefeated with wins over Neb, KSU, UT, and FSU?

Remember, +1 isn't always necessary, and would sometimes be unfair. What if OU went undefeated some year and the other top 4 teams had two losses. Now say OU lost the +1 game. OU would still have a better record than the team we beat, with a "good" loss.

A better idea would be to have a +1 game only if there is a split title. It is also interesting to note that this would probably mean AP writers would intentionally vote a team up if there was any controversy at all.

Basically, you either have a hands-down champion (OU 2000) or a +1 due to controversy (USC vs. LSU 2003).

How many times since the BCS has the only undefeated team won the MNC?
How many times has there been questions as to who the "True" Champion is?
There are questions more times then not in the current system so yes I believe a +1 would work more than it wouldn't.
Of course this is just my opinion.

Leroy Lizard
12/18/2007, 04:53 AM
Even I'm getting sick of playoff threads. Wow.

jrsooner
12/18/2007, 06:41 AM
But what about if a natural catastrophe or terrorist event occurs and some games are cancelled? I don't see anything about that.Then we invoke the Armed Forces clause. Find out which 2 services helped the most during that time period and then their schools automatically play for the MNC. :)

RedstickSooner
12/18/2007, 05:12 PM
At risk of being negged, is there some reason all the playoff threads haven't been consolidated?