PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Episode IV

soonerbrat
12/16/2007, 10:40 PM
was on today...i recorded it and am watching it now...i like the original version without all the cgi creatures and added scenes.

what's everyone else's preference?

royalfan5
12/16/2007, 10:43 PM
I'm with the original.

soonerbrat
12/16/2007, 10:45 PM
oh, and for the record..i'm now realizing that Harrison Ford was really hot in this movie. When it first came out (I was 8), I had a big huge crush on Mark Hamill....but Harrison Ford was much better looking

bluedogok
12/16/2007, 10:46 PM
I saw it at the Westpark theater (I think that was the name of it at 63rd & MacArthur) when it first came out. Still the best.

PhxSooner
12/16/2007, 10:52 PM
I like the originals. Return of the Jedi should end with Ewoks dancing, not all of these cgi celebrations.

I also crushed on Mark Hamill. He just seems whiny now; Harrison Ford was hot.

sooneron
12/16/2007, 11:11 PM
Original. Han shot first.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/16/2007, 11:14 PM
Doesn't matter to me...I m watching it now in da HD and really like it a laa

sooneron
12/16/2007, 11:25 PM
I have the original trilogy on Laser Disc somewhere at my Mom's place. FWIW. :(

Mixer!
12/17/2007, 12:38 AM
Original. Han shot first.
Word.

yermom
12/17/2007, 01:47 AM

before i found pirated chinese DVD's i was thinking hard about finding a laserdisc player and getting the original trilogy

now i have 3 copies on DVD since i had to get the theatrical releases

the CGI crap added later just looks so bad

bri
12/17/2007, 01:53 AM
Originals. I want to hurt George Lucas for what he did to the trilogy, both the sh*tty "special editions" and then the further retconning he did to try and make 4-6 jibe with the awful prequels. Die.

skycat
12/17/2007, 03:07 AM
Watch both versions with a kid.

Special Editions all the way, with pretty much the lone serious blight being the whole Han shooting thing.

You guys are a bunch of reactionary nostalgics.

Vaevictis
12/17/2007, 03:24 AM
Special Editions all the way, with pretty much the lone serious blight being the whole Han shooting thing.

Um, and Jabba.

Lucas completely changed Han's character development between the not shooting first/Jabba scene.

Viking Kitten
12/17/2007, 09:10 AM
oh, and for the record..i'm now realizing that Harrison Ford was really hot in this movie. When it first came out (I was 8), I had a big huge crush on Mark Hamill....but Harrison Ford was much better looking

Word.

Don't worry though, I had it figured out by the time "Raiders of the Lost Ark" was released when I was nine. Good Lord, that man was sexy. Plus, he had that irresistible naughty boy thing going on in both movies.

Oh hell yes.

OUDoc
12/17/2007, 09:22 AM
I saw it at the Westpark theater (I think that was the name of it at 63rd & MacArthur) when it first came out. Still the best.
I saw it there too.

I still can't believe that entire "mall" is empty ('cept for the post office) and has been for >10 years now.

Pricetag
12/17/2007, 02:17 PM
Um, and Jabba.

Lucas completely changed Han's character development between the not shooting first/Jabba scene.
How so on the Jabba scene? He said pretty much the same thing to Jabba that he said to Greedo.

I don't like calling the original movies episodes IV, V, and VI. It just seems like more prequel retro-fitting to me. No one called them that back then, so I refuse to do so now.

yermom
12/17/2007, 02:26 PM
Jabba was there at the hangar in the book, so it doesn't bother me continuity-wise. it just looks weird.

they were always Episode IV, V, and VI, so that nomenclature doesn't really bother me. i still always think of A New Hope as "Star Wars" though

bri
12/17/2007, 02:26 PM
That's why I hate putting the Jabba scene back in. The whole reason we got the Greedo scene was because Georgie couldn't have a giant space slug in 1977, so he took the meat of the hangar scene and put it in the Greedo scene. So, thanks to the special edition, we get the same dialouge twice AND Greedo shoots first. He double-f*cked poor Greedo with all his hacky digital dickery. A one-man fingercuffs, if you will.

Die. Die die die.

Frozen Sooner
12/17/2007, 02:43 PM
Well, at least Greedo didn't shoot first with a walkie-talkie.

Personally, I prefer Han shooting first. He's a Prince Hal-type character, and we need to see him as a ruthless jerk at the beginning of the movie.

OKLA21FAN
12/17/2007, 02:45 PM
no you don't

she sold that in one of her garage sales......along with your baseball cards

frankensooner
12/17/2007, 02:46 PM
I need to get around to watching these "star wars" movies all you kids keep talking about. ;)

proud gonzo
12/17/2007, 03:22 PM
Word.

Don't worry though, I had it figured out by the time "Raiders of the Lost Ark" was released when I was nine. Good Lord, that man was sexy. Plus, he had that irresistible naughty boy thing going on in both movies.

Oh hell yes.yep.

http://www.cine-collector.com/catalog/images/han_solo.jpg

GottaHavePride
12/17/2007, 08:30 PM
Star Wars I can take either version. The differences are small enough that I can ignore them. I know Greedo shoots first, so whatever.

Empire Strikes Back, no big difference that I remember, might as well go with the Special Edition since it got remastered and cleaned up a bit.

Return of the Jedi: OG all the way. **** that special edition, man. I abolutely HATE the new ending. I know John Williams wrote a whole new tune for it special, but the new tune sounds whiny and lame, like Darth Anakin and his "NOOOOOOO!" The original tune with the Ewoks was SO much better. Don't even get me started with digitally putting Hayden ****ing Christensen in that last scene.

And if y'all keep posting Han Solo picture I'm gonna go find Carrie Fisher in a metal bikini. And then I'll have to lock the thread and ban myself.

OUDoc
12/17/2007, 08:48 PM
And if y'all keep posting Han Solo picture I'm gonna go find Carrie Fisher in a metal bikini. And then I'll have to lock the thread and ban myself.
You keep doing that, you'll go blind.

soonerboomer93
12/17/2007, 09:11 PM
before i found pirated chinese DVD's i was thinking hard about finding a laserdisc player and getting the original trilogy

now i have 3 copies on DVD since i had to get the theatrical releases

the CGI crap added later just looks so bad

yeah, i think I have either 2 or 3 copies on DVD

bri
12/22/2007, 02:53 PM
I just watched the last half of Jedi on HBOHD. I was surprised when they got to the "glowing ghost body reunion" and I wasn't annoyed by Haden Christensen's presence. I think that's just because I was glad he wasn't talking or anything. :D

sooneron
12/23/2007, 12:22 AM
I just watched the last half of Jedi on HBOHD. I was surprised when they got to the "glowing ghost body reunion" and I wasn't annoyed by Haden Christensen's presence. I think that's just because I was glad he wasn't talking or anything. :D
My issue with that is that he doesn't deserve to share the screen with Sir Alec.

bri
12/23/2007, 04:54 PM
Yeah, but he really didn't deserve to share the screen with Ewan either, so what can you do?

I think the prequels have really helped me make peace with both Jedi and the special editions/DVD retcons.

JohnnyMack
12/23/2007, 07:54 PM
I loves me some Jar Jar Binks. And some flying R2-D2s. I love me some NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! Love it.

bri
12/23/2007, 09:58 PM
Sometimes, I think you want to be punched.

JohnnyMack
12/23/2007, 10:22 PM
Oh! I also love George Lucas as a director. And LOTS of CG. The more the better.

bri
12/23/2007, 10:26 PM
Heh.