PDA

View Full Version : Roy Williams at it again

sooner-n-ga
12/16/2007, 04:47 PM
Just got flagged for a "horse collar" tackle.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/16/2007, 04:51 PM
i forgot..didn't you call him a thug for that?

Big Red Ron
12/16/2007, 04:53 PM
It's a stupid rule. This ain't effin bean bag, it's the GD NFL.

Brasky7
12/16/2007, 04:54 PM
i know some players have gotten hurt because of that kinda tackle, but it's part of their uniform, imo, it's fair game, just like if you have long, stupid, girly hair hair flopping around out the back of your helmet, tough **** if you get tackled by it...

get a haircut, hippie... :D

Newbomb Turk
12/16/2007, 04:55 PM
they need to have a rule against hitting hard, cause someone might get hurt.

sooner-n-ga
12/16/2007, 04:56 PM
Yes I did !

It's a dirty play and the rule was put in because of him, but he continues to do it and get 15 yarders. I know it is a contact sport, but this rule was put in to keep players from be injured bad, Roy doesn't seem to care !

bluedogok
12/16/2007, 04:56 PM
Let's just all play flag football so no one can get hurt :rolleyes:

All he is trying to do is make a damn tackle.

sooner-n-ga
12/16/2007, 04:58 PM

What would you guys think if he was using this move on AP or Sam Bradford when he gets there ?

Sooner Eclipse
12/16/2007, 04:58 PM
Somehow, I knew this thread would be here.

This aint intermurals, BROTHA.

even if it is a penalty, i'd take it over giving up the TD. Its the only smart play.

sooner-n-ga
12/16/2007, 05:00 PM

All he is trying to do is make a damn tackle.

Why is it that he is about the only person who has to do this to make the tackle ? All the other players have found legal way to bring ball carriers down.

Big Red Ron
12/16/2007, 05:00 PM
What would you guys think if he was using this move on AP or Sam Bradford when he gets there ?It's a legal tackle in CFB.

Sooner Eclipse
12/16/2007, 05:01 PM
What would you guys think if he was using this move on AP or Sam Bradford when he gets there ?

I'd say its part of the game. The NFL has turned into pussie ball. Teams rarely depart from the closely scripted "game plan". It just aint that fun to watch. And now that you can't fart near a QB in the pocket without getting flagged, there just aint much to watch.

sooner-n-ga
I said AP, maybe I should have said "All Day" and I also pointed out Sam when he gets there, meaning to the NFL !

Big Red Ron
Why is it that he is about the only person who has to do this to make the tackle ? All the other players have found legal way to bring ball carriers down.Do you have on pink panties with little hearts on them right now?

Sheesh

Newbomb Turk
Roy has always tackled that way. It's probably hard to change your tackling style. These guys play on instinct, and don't have time to think "oh, I can't tackle that way".

TUSooner
12/16/2007, 05:02 PM
It's a stupid rule. This ain't effin bean bag, it's the GD NFL.
Let's get rid of that stupid facemask penalty while we're at it. :rolleyes:

bluedogok
12/16/2007, 05:02 PM
I have seen it called against many other players as well, when you are playing at full speed, you grab what you can grab. Injuries happen all the time from other ways of tackling or blocking but they don't have a rule against those (yet). I have seen fewer injuries from that than I have other types of tackling.

It only became a rule because a high profile player got injured because of it. Since that was the case I guess they need to make rules that only allow tackling at the waist.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/16/2007, 05:03 PM
this thread is going about the same way the last one did

Newbomb Turk
12/16/2007, 05:03 PM
to me it's better than guys who go straight at another guy's knees when trying to tackle them.

Big Red Ron
12/16/2007, 05:04 PM
Let's get rid of that stupid facemask penalty while we're at it. :rolleyes:Apples and oranges. They didn't ALWAYS have facemaskes. They always had shirts and padding to grab.

It's not like Roy was the first to ever use the tackle.

sooner-n-ga
12/16/2007, 05:04 PM
I'd say its part of the game. The NFL has turned into pussie ball. Teams rarely depart from the closely scripted "game plan". It just aint that fun to watch. And now that you can't fart near a QB in the pocket without getting flagged, there just aint much to watch.

I agree on the NFL, but this play is a "part of the game" that is against the rules. They (NFL) will fine him, but it doesn't matter to TRRW.

sanantoniosooner
12/16/2007, 05:08 PM
this thread is going about the same way the last one did
"idiot" + "opinion" = "punching bag"

JohnnyMack
12/16/2007, 05:10 PM

You would know.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/16/2007, 05:10 PM

I know...its really not fun anymore. especially when its just a reused old opinion..ga come up with something new for everyone to bash

Ground_Attack
12/16/2007, 05:12 PM
the rule was put in as a deterrent to his agressive style. Just another way to handcuff the defense. The only reason he is notorious for it is because that pu$$y TO got hurt by it.

Frozen Sooner
12/16/2007, 05:13 PM
Man, that may have been the dumbest return of an interception I've ever seen. There was absolutely nothing good that could have come out of bringing that ball out of the endzone.

And hey, look, the worst possible outcome occurred.

Folks-you get a pick in your goal-line defense between the hashes and you're five yards deep in your endzone GET DOWN. DON'T TRY TO RUN IT BACK THROUGH THE ENTIRE OTHER TEAM!

bluedogok
12/16/2007, 05:20 PM
It is much different running it back through a field of guys who started the play near mid-field than it is when everyone is at the 10 yard line.

Frozen Sooner
12/16/2007, 05:23 PM
Right. That attempted return was right into the teeth of the offensive line. Hey, big surprise, you get your clock cleaned before you get to the 20.

Now if you get the pick on the edge, run like hell. But between the hashes?

Newbomb Turk
12/16/2007, 05:47 PM
OK Fox - we get it. Jessica Simpson is at the game. Probably why Romo is playing like crap.

Big Red Ron
12/16/2007, 05:49 PM
OK Fox - we get it. Jessica Simpson is at the game. Probably why Romo is playing like crap.She's a Sucubus?

Vaevictis
12/16/2007, 05:51 PM
She's a Sucubus?

... but it's not like there's too many guys out there who would complain if she were to ... er... suck the "life" out of them.

Big Red Ron
12/16/2007, 05:55 PM
... but it's not like there's too many guys out there who would complain if she were to ... er... suck the "life" out of them.Meh, she's no Mrs. BRR but she's pretty hot.

insuranceman_22
12/16/2007, 06:25 PM
Yes I did !

It's a dirty play and the rule was put in because of him, but he continues to do it and get 15 yarders. I know it is a contact sport, but this rule was put in to keep players from be injured bad, Roy doesn't seem to care !

You're still a bitch!

tulsaoilerfan
12/16/2007, 07:31 PM
to me it's better than guys who go straight at another guy's knees when trying to tackle them.
I agree; if the horse collar is illegal, then why is it legal for a guy to dive at a QB's knees after he throws a pass? You see far more injuries from that than you ever will from a horse collar tackle

tulsaoilerfan
12/16/2007, 07:34 PM
I'm a big Cowboys fan, but i'm still not sold on them making the Super Bowl; this team has been playing badly the last 2 games and should in all reality be 0-2 in them; what is the problem?

goingoneight
12/16/2007, 07:37 PM

Hmmm... like everyone who used to horse-collar tackle Adrian Peterson and no one ever seemed to care? It's tackle football... get over your whiny-assed ways. FWIW, if you've ever played a down of football, you'd know linemen take FAAAAARRRRRR worse shots than a horse collar tackle every down. But I guess you don't care about facts as much as you hate the Cowboys, right? :rolleyes:

bluedogok
12/16/2007, 07:39 PM
Kind of the same thing as college ball this year, who is that much better than them this season in the NFC? They already beat the Packers once. In a 16 game season you are always going to have some turds, they can always come back and have some good games, just look at OU after the losses this season.

The injuries concern me more than their on the field play, which I do think contributed to their poor play today.

colleyvillesooner
12/16/2007, 08:13 PM
Yawn.

Tony's thumb had far more to do with the crappy performance than J.S.

william_brasky
12/16/2007, 08:34 PM
What did Romo do to J.S. with his thumb?

Breadburner
12/16/2007, 08:38 PM
Foot ball will be a no contact sport before we know it.....

OK2LA
12/16/2007, 08:48 PM
Apples and oranges. They didn't ALWAYS have facemaskes. They always had shirts and padding to grab.

I

What about when they used to play - shirts vs. skins?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/16/2007, 08:58 PM
You're still a bitch!

seriously, why would you put yourself in the hole for a worthless post like this?

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/16/2007, 09:10 PM
I have no problem with a horse collar drawing a 15-yard penalty. It isn't like Roy made the tackle and then teabagged the runner. He doesn't go out of his way to make that tackle. He is just trying to make a play.

Lets not turn this into some sort of crime.

GrapevineSooner
12/16/2007, 09:17 PM
Yawn.

Tony's thumb had far more to do with the crappy performance than J.S.

Well, it wouldn't have killed the wideouts to, you know, make a play. ;)

r5TPsooner
12/16/2007, 09:24 PM
they need to have a rule against hitting hard, cause someone might get hurt.

Might as well put a pink jersey on the QB while we're at it.

bluedogok
12/16/2007, 09:40 PM
Maybe he could wear the one JS had on today.......

PLaw
12/16/2007, 09:41 PM
I don't necessarily think it's a dirty play - certainly not grabbing a face mask and trying to rip a guy's head off or blind side cheap shot after the whistle blows.

It's a penalty enacted because of the potential for injury. Sorta like the Deacon Jones head slap, the blocking below the waist in the open field or leaving your feet to make a cross body block. The game just evolves.

That said, Roy did make a strong attempt to get his free arm around the Eagles player's leg to avoid injurying him.

BOOMER

tulsaoilerfan
12/16/2007, 09:44 PM
Foot ball will be a no contact sport before we know it.....
Funny thing is they called the horse collar on Roy, but Hamlin got away with a flying shoulder to the head that wasn't called; NFL refs are as bad as college refs

Socrefbek
12/16/2007, 09:56 PM
The problem with the play IMO is not that the tackler is grabing the shoulder pads. The potential for injury occurs when the tackling player lets their whole weight and legs swing up on the back of the runners knees and buckles them. Then the tackler lands on the back of the legs and ankles with all of their wieght at an awkward angle that causes injury. That is how TO had his leg broken by TRRW. Earlier this year I saw a player do the same to AD except they grabbed him around the waste and let their legs and body weight swing into the back of AD's legs and he limped off the field from having his ankle and lower leg hyper extended.

Grabbing the shoulder pads and pulling the player down does not cause injury. I think they should adjust the rule to make it illegal to let the tackling player roll up on the ankles and lower leg. I have watched numerous players execute this move and quite regularly seen the runner limp off or get injured. I view this manuever the same as yanking the face mask to make a tackle, crack back blocks, going into the QB's knee (Carson Palmer Rule) and helmet to helmet hits etc. The players doing this are trying to injure and take opponents out of the game.

I do not think TTRW is dirty nor have I seen him swing up on the backs of players legs. If he is just pulling down the runner it should not be a penalty. The rule is poorly written and needs to be modified to cover the difference between tackling and attempting to injure.

BoulderSooner79
12/16/2007, 10:05 PM
Apples and oranges. They didn't ALWAYS have facemaskes. They always had shirts and padding to grab.

No, I saw Joey Browner use this tackle and hurt people as well. He tackled a Bronco running back like this on MNF and I watched the guys' foot do a 180 on his ankle. I don't understand why everyone defends this play on this forum; is it because Roy Williams played at OU ? It's a good rule. This tackling technique is more dangerous than a face mask and a chop block combined. I've seen multiple players leaving the field on carts wearing air casts. I hope CFB adopts the rule. I think Roy does it out of being lazy; I've seen him use this when a normal wrap-up tackle was easily available and I love Roy as a player as much as the next guy. The rules change all the time and players and coaches adapt and so can Roy and others that have a habit of tackling this way.

To answer the original poster. I'd be PO'd as hell if someone breaks AD's leg tackling like this.

Curly Bill
12/16/2007, 10:08 PM
This tackling technique is more dangerous than a face mask and a chop block combined.

This is a ridiculous assertion...but I'm sure you have statistical proof to back it up?

tulsaoilerfan
12/16/2007, 10:10 PM
Today was also tony romo's worst game as a starter; his previous worse game? Last season when Carrie Underwood was in attendance; we need to get that boy's mind off the *****. :)

tulsaoilerfan
12/16/2007, 10:11 PM
No, I saw Joey Browner use this tackle and hurt people as well. He tackled a Bronco running back like this on MNF and I watched the guys' foot do a 180 on his ankle. I don't understand why everyone defends this play on this forum; is it because Roy Williams played at OU ? It's a good rule. This tackling technique is more dangerous than a face mask and a chop block combined. I've seen multiple players leaving the field on carts wearing air casts. I hope CFB adopts the rule. I think Roy does it out of being lazy; I've seen him use this when a normal wrap-up tackle was easily available and I love Roy as a player as much as the next guy. The rules change all the time and players and coaches adapt and so can Roy and others that have a habit of tackling this way.

To answer the original poster. I'd be PO'd as hell if someone breaks AD's leg tackling like this.
Sorry, unless you have stats to back you up, i don't see any way this is worst than a chop block or launching yourselves into a quarterback's knee's when he is throwing the ball.

AllAboutThe'O'
12/16/2007, 10:19 PM
Today was also tony romo's worst game as a starter; his previous worse game? Last season when Carrie Underwood was in attendance; we need to get that boy's mind off the *****. :)
I think he needs to date during the offseason and not date at all during the season.

Stitch Face
12/16/2007, 10:22 PM
I'd be PO'd as hell if someone breaks AD's leg tackling like this.

Nah, AD's leg would break them!

JohnnyMack
12/16/2007, 10:23 PM
I predict another Dallas Cowboys late season melt down. Velveeta style.

Harry Beanbag
12/16/2007, 10:27 PM
Roy ended three guy's seasons that one year. He broke TO's leg, Musa Smith's leg, and blew out both of Tyrone Calico's knees using the horse collar.

Stitch Face
12/16/2007, 10:29 PM
Roy ended three guy's seasons that one year. He broke TO's leg, Musa Smith's leg, and blew out both of Tyrone Calico's knees using the horse collar.

Playing against Roy is a lot like going to prison...don't wanna let the guy get behind ya

BoulderSooner79
12/16/2007, 10:32 PM
Sorry, unless you have stats to back you up, i don't see any way this is worst than a chop block or launching yourselves into a quarterback's knee's when he is throwing the ball.

No, I don't have the stats; I'd love to see them. I've been watching football for over 3 decades and I can only remember a couple of minor injuries from facemasks. And I've seem many where the guys' head was turned around and you wouldn't think he'd get up. The thing that strikes me about the horse collar is that it is a pretty rare event with a very high occurrence of injury. I've seen multiple guys with broken legs with the tackle happening maybe a few percent as often as facemasks. BTW, I think chop blocks and low hits on the QB are more dangerous than facemasks too and those are also illegal. I just heartily agree that the horse collar is in that class and should also be illegal. If a 15 yarder makes it more rare, then it's worth having the rule on the books. It's not like it will slow down the game or stop hard hitting.

BoulderSooner79
12/16/2007, 10:45 PM

Right. As I said, I don't have the stats, but these 3 injuries reflect more injuries than I've seen from facemasks in over 30 years of watching football. When they put in the rule a few years back, they included severe injuries that happened that year from other tacklers as justification. Not just Roy and not just because of TO. I saw the replay of Musa Smith's leg snap like a toothpick on a simple play that just needed a routine tackle. Joey Browner was worse than Roy about this back in the 80's and and I used to yell at the TV or why do they let this guy do this? Instead, I'd just hear the announcers talk about what strong hands Joey Browner had and how good he was (football talk while the injury cart was delaying the game).

goingoneight
12/16/2007, 11:05 PM
From now on, if you have a clear shot at someone, you must intentionally whiff and let them score. Being "instinctive" is unacceptable. Someone might get hurt.

CORNholio
12/16/2007, 11:45 PM
Never played beyond high school. But we were actually taught to "horse collar" the guy and punch the ball out with the other hand if they got behind the D. If a bunch of high school kids can handle being tackled this way I would hope a multimillion dollar 250 pound mamuth could tough it out as well.

Curly Bill
12/16/2007, 11:47 PM
Never played beyond high school. But we were actually taught to "horse collar" the guy and punch the ball out with the other hand if they got behind the D. If a bunch of high school kids can handle being tackled this way I would hope a multimillion dollar 250 pound mamouth could tough it out as well.

Yeah, but in high school football you're still allowed to hit the QB too. ;)

CORNholio
12/16/2007, 11:52 PM

People get hurt. It's a MAN's game. That is IMHO why they get paid millions of dollars. If they are oblivious to the chance of getting hurt then they should've played basketball.

85sooners
12/16/2007, 11:53 PM
shut it!!!!!!!:rolleyes: sooner n ga

CORNholio
12/16/2007, 11:57 PM
Nobody cries when a boxer bleeds and gets injured (as long as it is not life threatening) football players used to be the same way until they got so full of themselves. Sometimes it seems like I am watching girls indoor soccer at the "Y" instead of grown men battling it out on the field.

goingoneight
12/17/2007, 12:00 AM
I think we can pretty much agree majority dislikes the horse-collar rule. Nobody cries when a construction worker gets hurt, so why **** and moan when a millionaire does? It happens when you play the sport.

Harry Beanbag
12/17/2007, 07:11 AM
People get hurt. It's a MAN's game. That is IMHO why they get paid millions of dollars. If they are oblivious to the chance of getting hurt then they should've played basketball.

No ****. I was just pointing out it wasn't just TO's weak bones that caused the rule, Roy was the grim reaper that season.

sooner-n-ga
12/17/2007, 09:03 AM
Please name me one person in the NFL who prefers to tackle by the face-mask. Roy does the "horse collar" even though he knows it is against the rules. As a safety he bites on the run too much and this allows WR's to run past him and in return he ends up making tackles from behind, this puts him in a position of having to bring players down however he can. If he was better at pass defense, we would see a lot less of the "horse collar".

If he did end the season for 3 players that one year and it now is a penalty to do it, he or any other player who does it should receive a minimum fine of $100,000 per offense. Hit the pocket books hard enough they find another way to bring players down.

I once again ask you, if he brings down Adrian this way when the Cowboys and Vikings play and it ends Adrian's season, is it still ok even though it is against the rule ?

soonerhubs
12/17/2007, 09:11 AM
I bet you have never even played a down of football! Choir Jock! ;)

Choctaw
12/17/2007, 09:41 AM
Those guys know when they put on the pads that there is a possibility they may suffer a career ending injury. Let them play the freaking game.

sooner-n-ga
12/17/2007, 10:22 AM
I bet you have never even played a down of football! Choir Jock! ;)

I'll take that bet, what do you want to wager ?

Desert Sapper
12/17/2007, 10:24 AM
The face mask penalty was enacted because it could cause a neck injury, which I would consider to be much more serious (from the rest of the life perspective) than a knee or leg injury. Roy can't kill or paralyze anybody with this tackle, so it shouldn't be a penalty, let alone a fine. Bottom line.

sanantoniosooner
12/17/2007, 10:25 AM
I wish I could horse-collar sooner-n-ga right now.

I'd even pay a fine.

SoonerMom2
12/17/2007, 10:31 AM
I wish I could horse-collar sooner-n-ga right now.

I'd even pay a fine.

That is because you are a thug, as is everyone who offends sooner-n-ga's delicate sensibilities. ;)

sooner518
12/17/2007, 10:32 AM
lets legalize illegal chop blocks too while we're in the process of legalizing plays that can easily tear ACLs.

yermom
12/17/2007, 10:56 AM
people get hurt enough, those kind of injuries end seasons and careers

i'm not saying TGRW is trying to hurt people, but the rule is there to protect players from unneeded injuries. i really wish he'd stop doing it. from the injury standpoint, and from the penalty standpoint.

that was basically a 30 yard play that resulted

r5TPsooner
12/17/2007, 11:16 AM
I don't necessarily think it's a dirty play - certainly not grabbing a face mask and trying to rip a guy's head off or blind side cheap shot after the whistle blows.

It's a penalty enacted because of the potential for injury. Sorta like the Deacon Jones head slap, the blocking below the waist in the open field or leaving your feet to make a cross body block. The game just evolves.

That said, Roy did make a strong attempt to get his free arm around the Eagles player's leg to avoid injurying him.

BOOMER

Isn't there potential for injury on almost every type of tackle or hit.

Curly Bill
12/17/2007, 11:45 AM
Isn't there potential for injury on almost every type of tackle or hit.

Yep, and don't worry: the NFL is looking into that. ;)

sooner-n-ga
12/17/2007, 12:09 PM
because no one has answered me, what if it was Adrian P. he was using this technique on and it injured or ended "AD's" Career ?

What if it was a former FSU player who tackled AD this way and injured him, would it be different because the tackler wasn't a former sooner ?

colleyvillesooner
12/17/2007, 12:14 PM
maybe no one's answering you for a reason...

Curly Bill
12/17/2007, 12:22 PM
because no one has answered me, what if it was Adrian P. he was using this technique on and it injured or ended "AD's" Career ?

What if it was a former FSU player who tackled AD this way and injured him, would it be different because the tackler wasn't a former sooner ?

It would be a rotten deal and pretty sad, but nope it would not be different. The horse collar rule is plain and simple a stupid rule!

edit...it is still supposedly tackle football, so if it's a Sooner that gets tackled and hurt I'd hate it, but that's the nature of the game.

sooner-n-ga
12/17/2007, 12:22 PM

You are correct, they aren't answering me for a reason >>> Because they can't say it wouldn't matter who he is tackling. I guess their love for the sooners makes it ok for a former one to play dirty as long as he isn't doing it to another former sooner.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/17/2007, 12:23 PM

I do know you were one of the fine football minds that thought OU was better off without AD so maybe Minnesota would be better off without him too

Sooner_Bob
12/17/2007, 12:41 PM
people get hurt enough, those kind of injuries end seasons and careers

i'm not saying TGRW is trying to hurt people, but the rule is there to protect players from unneeded injuries. i really wish he'd stop doing it. from the injury standpoint, and from the penalty standpoint.

that was basically a 30 yard play that resulted

Amen.

Just because you know going in that you could get hurt doesn't give you or anyone else the right to tackle illegally.

Sooner_Bob
12/17/2007, 12:43 PM
It would be a rotten deal and pretty sad, but nope it would not be different. The horse collar rule is plain and simple a stupid rule!

Riiiiight.

Why is the horse collar a stupid rule? It's been shown to cause injury just like other illegal means of both blocking and tackling.

Is spearing or leading with your helmet a stupid rule too?

TUSooner
12/17/2007, 02:00 PM

Touchy?
You ARE pretty quick with the red stuff. But no thanks, you can have it back.

CobraKai
12/17/2007, 03:31 PM
Please name me one person in the NFL who prefers to tackle by the face-mask. Roy does the "horse collar" even though he knows it is against the rules. As a safety he bites on the run too much and this allows WR's to run past him and in return he ends up making tackles from behind, this puts him in a position of having to bring players down however he can. If he was better at pass defense, we would see a lot less of the "horse collar".

If he did end the season for 3 players that one year and it now is a penalty to do it, he or any other player who does it should receive a minimum fine of $100,000 per offense. Hit the pocket books hard enough they find another way to bring players down.

I once again ask you, if he brings down Adrian this way when the Cowboys and Vikings play and it ends Adrian's season, is it still ok even though it is against the rule ?

I agree. Clips, chops, and blocks below the waste should also be $100,000 dollar fines. Those illegal plays result in many injuries...more than horse collars. Late hits and helmet to helmets too. Right? :eek:

Curly Bill
12/17/2007, 03:33 PM
I think if you tackle someone you should have to pay them...oh say: $100, because potentially you could have injured them.

Curly Bill
12/17/2007, 03:36 PM
Riiiiight.
Why is the horse collar a stupid rule? It's been shown to cause injury just like other illegal means of both blocking and tackling.

Is spearing or leading with your helmet a stupid rule too?

The game of football by it's very nature causes injury...should it be illegal too?

I've also seen you post on some of the UFC/MMA threads...as you know lots of peeps have problems with that because of the perceived brutality and potential for injury, would you have that made illegal too?

yermom
12/17/2007, 03:49 PM
i get the feeling some of you just watch NASCAR to see the crashes too

sooner-n-ga
12/17/2007, 03:55 PM
who should be the last person to do it ?

If he continues to tackle this "illegal" way it just shows that he doesn't respect anyone Else's career, which is a thuggish move by TRRW.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/17/2007, 03:56 PM
just the feeling of someone watching nascar makes me sick

Desert Sapper
12/17/2007, 04:15 PM
lets legalize illegal chop blocks too while we're in the process of legalizing plays that can easily tear ACLs.

Cutting the wrong way can easily tear ACLs. Let's make that illegal, too. And let's throw in any tackle that involves two or more defenders. Hell, let's make playing in cold weather off limits, because a nasty slip on the ice could easily tear an ACL.

To hell with this fear of injury BS that has gripped football. The only time that was relevant was when people were getting killed back in the 19th century, and Teddy Roosevelt decided we needed the NCAA to counter it. That and when face masks became dangerous enough that grabbing them could lead to death or paralysis.

Name somebody that has died or been paralyzed from a chop.

I feel this way, and my ACL was torn after a high school all-american TE chopped me on a sweep. My knee still stiffens up in the humid and cold weather, but I recognize that block for what it was. Part - of - the - game.

Stoop Dawg
12/17/2007, 04:18 PM
The game of football by it's very nature causes injury...should it be illegal too?

Do you seriously not see that there are varying degrees of "potentially injury-causing" plays? Or are you just hoping that the rest of us are too stupid to see through your flimsly argument?

Collier11
12/17/2007, 04:18 PM
who should be the last person to do it ?

If he continues to tackle this "illegal" way it just shows that he doesn't respect anyone Else's career, which is a thuggish move by TRRW.

So if lets say, Kelly Gregg does it is he a "Thug" or just a rule breaker by your definition? :pop:

Collier11
12/17/2007, 04:19 PM
So roy williams is tackling that way due to a rough life according to urbandictionary.com

1. thug

As Tupac defined it, a thug is someone who is going through struggles, has gone through struggles, and continues to live day by day with nothing for them. That person is a thug. and the life they are living is the thug life.

Or you can go to dictionary.com for this

thug
–noun
1. a cruel or vicious ruffian, robber, or murderer.

SO, Which is he?

Stoop Dawg
12/17/2007, 04:23 PM
So roy williams is tackling that way due to a rough life according to urbandictionary.com

1. thug

As Tupac defined it, a thug is someone who is going through struggles, has gone through struggles, and continues to live day by day with nothing for them. That person is a thug. and the life they are living is the thug life.

Since when did two-bit rappers start defining the English language?

TUSooner
12/17/2007, 04:24 PM
Whether or not the horse-collar SHOULD BE illegal, it currently IS illegal. A player should be smart enough not to do it.

Collier11
12/17/2007, 04:25 PM

since urbandictionary.com has been around :D
\
keep in mind you can also define cleveland steamer and dirty sanchez there!

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/17/2007, 04:27 PM
You are correct, they aren't answering me for a reason >>> Because they can't say it wouldn't matter who he is tackling. I guess their love for the sooners makes it ok for a former one to play dirty as long as he isn't doing it to another former sooner.

Maybe it is because they don't believe that you are a Sooner and gay. If it were OSU and gay it would not only be believed but implied.

JohnnyMack
12/17/2007, 04:47 PM

Where the hell do you get off calling Tupac a two-bit rapper?

California Luuuvvvvvv..............

sooner-n-ga
12/17/2007, 04:48 PM
Maybe it is because they don't believe that you are a Sooner and gay. If it were OSU and gay it would not only be believed but implied.
I've been a sooner fan from the early 80's and I never been a fan of any other college. I've also been a Dallas fan longer that that, but I call it like I see it and I'd tell Roy to his face.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/17/2007, 04:50 PM
I've been a sooner fan from the early 80's and I never been a fan of any other college. I've also been a Dallas fan longer that that, but I call it like I see it and I'd tell Roy to his face.

Maybe. The moment you turned around though he would put a horse collar on you...:D

Collier11
12/17/2007, 05:00 PM
, but I call it like I see it and I'd tell Roy to his face.

Oh Lord here we go, watch out guys this fella is Crazy!

JohnnyMack
12/17/2007, 05:01 PM

How do you think you'd fare in a game of one on one with CP?

GrapevineSooner
12/17/2007, 05:23 PM

I've also seen you post on some of the UFC/MMA threads...as you know lots of peeps have problems with that because of the perceived brutality and potential for injury, would you have that made illegal too?

Apples to Oranges comparison. They're two completely different sports.

And as has been pointed out a few times in this thread, most recently by TU, it doesn't matter one iota whether you or anybody else thinks the rule is a stupid rule or not. It's in the rulebooks, everybody knows what the rule is, and if you don't follow the rule then woe to be you.

For the record, I don't have a problem with the rule. I love TGRW, but he his tackling fundamentals are almost non-existent. Perhaps if he worked on this new fangled concept of wrapping up, he wouldn't have to resort to the illegal horsecollar tackle.

One of these days, the NFL's going to decide that fining him isn't going to do anything to force him to change his ways. Which means the next step is forcing him to sit for some games.

sooner-n-ga
12/17/2007, 05:51 PM
Oh Lord here we go, watch out guys this fella is Crazy!

Not crazy, just big enough to take care of myself and I'm not a sissy like you !

Watch Me Stride
12/17/2007, 05:54 PM
I'm not a sissy like you !

my 12 year old says that too :D

TexasSooner01
12/17/2007, 05:55 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Stoop Dawg
12/17/2007, 06:07 PM
Where the hell do you get off calling Tupac a two-bit rapper?

California Luuuvvvvvv..............

To be fair, I was using my own personal definition of "two-bit rapper".

Also, that definition changes according to situation in whatever way is necessary to support my argument.

Collier11
12/17/2007, 06:16 PM
Not crazy, just big enough to take care of myself and I'm not a sissy like you !

so not only are you boasting about your toughness on a message board, you are saying you could take on Roy Williams cus you arent a sissy, and you are calling me names when you know nothing about me. I was just reacting to your statement of pounding your chest on a message board which points more towards you being a vag than it does a tough guy but thats fine!

Shneeg11
12/17/2007, 06:33 PM
He's not a sissy, yet he is complaining about a tackle being to rough...

TXBOOMER
12/17/2007, 06:37 PM

Once they get to the Pro's I wish them luck and hope they have a good career. But it's every man for himself at that point. The NFL has turned is turning into puss ball. I have no problem protecting the QB, but receivers and rb's need to suck it up and quit getting up crying for a flag every time someone grabs them around the shoulders to tackle them. With that being said Roy needs to spend less time supporting those pimp preachers and more time getting his game back. As much as I loved him when he was at OU, he has lost his game at this point.

sooner-n-ga
12/17/2007, 06:38 PM
so not only are you boasting about your toughness on a message board, you are saying you could take on Roy Williams cus you arent a sissy, and you are calling me names when you know nothing about me. I was just reacting to your statement of pounding your chest on a message board which points more towards you being a vag than it does a tough guy but thats fine!

You don't get it do you.
I was pointing out I was man enough to say it to his face and also big enough to handle myself if he took offense to it. I also pointed out you were to much of a sissy to do the same, it ain't my fault you are that way.

soonerboomer93
12/17/2007, 06:52 PM

that's because we love the ignore list

soonernation
12/17/2007, 06:58 PM
You don't get it do you.
I was pointing out I was man enough to say it to his face and also big enough to handle myself if he took offense to it. I also pointed out you were to much of a sissy to do the same, it ain't my fault you are that way.

Internet tough guys make me giggle. What a ******.

olevetonahill
12/17/2007, 08:08 PM
You don't get it do you.
I was pointing out I was man enough to say it to his face and also big enough to handle myself if he took offense to it. I also pointed out you were to much of a sissy to do the same, it ain't my fault you are that way.I Im skeered of you , You can smak TRRW . Oh yea I wanta see this .

He got suspended 1 Game fer Grabbin the Puss By what ever he could Grab
Cry me a river.
You Go TRRW :cool:

Collier11
12/17/2007, 08:29 PM
You don't get it do you.

:rolleyes:

keep digging your own grave buddy, youre the one who leaves here each and every night looking like the troll that you are. See, I can disagree with you and call you out without making personal attacks. As far as you telling TRRW to his face, id like to see that but why would I need to, youve convinced me of how tough you are! I bet just the thought of you coming would leave most of us trembling.

Stitch Face
12/17/2007, 08:39 PM
Can we get back to the topic at hand?

Anyone know a good place to eat and buy Sooner gear around here?

Oh, sorry. Wrong thread.

sooner-n-ga
12/17/2007, 08:39 PM
TRRW nut-hugger like the rest of you is what makes me different. I'd rather tell folks to their face what I think, that way we both know where I stand !

Most of the posters here come across as a chihuahua humping the leg of anything OU. I'm a fan of the program, but not of the fans here. I live 35 miles from Florida State and I'm not a fan of their team because of their fans, I get the same feeling about the OU fans here because you can't have a opinion here unless it is pro-Oklahoma.

Stitch Face
12/17/2007, 08:46 PM
TRRW nut-hugger like the rest of you is what makes me different. I'd rather tell folks to their face what I think, that way we both know where I stand !

Most of the posters here come across as a chihuahua humping the leg of anything OU. I'm a fan of the program, but not of the fans here. I live 35 miles from Florida State and I'm not a fan of their team because of their fans, I get the same feeling about the OU fans here because you can't have a opinion here unless it is pro-Oklahoma.

You are a man among men.

May we be fans of you if OU has a big down spell again?

stoops the eternal pimp
12/17/2007, 08:53 PM
I prefer to think of myself as more of a wieny dog

Collier11
12/17/2007, 08:59 PM

Im pretty much done with you now, you are ignorant and obviously not an OU fan and that has been proven time and time again by your jack azz posts, you are here to stir up controversy, be a jerk, and **** people off and if I was a mod I would have already baned your azz. So until then continue doing what you do, its meant wonders for your perception around here and the validity of what you say!

But just to prove one more point, go through every one of my over 3000 posts here and I bet you would find your fare share where I wasnt sticking up for OU or I wasnt "pro-oklahoma" as you say. My position on this has nothing to do with Ou, it has to do with I think it is a dumb rule regardless of who tackles that who.

olevetonahill
12/17/2007, 08:59 PM

Since this an OU Board can you please leave ?:pop:

Collier11
12/17/2007, 09:01 PM
I'd rather tell folks to their face what I think, that way we both know where I stand !

And as soon as you get done with that, see if you can throw this football over them mountains over there!

Sooner_Bob
12/17/2007, 09:07 PM

Lord have mercy . . . I seriously think some of you have comprehension problems. (Not aimed specifically at you Curly Bill, but you're the lucky one who responded :D)

Yes, MMA, boxing, football, hockey, etc. by the way folks play has the potential to cause injury. No arguments there.

In the early days you could head butt or grab the cage and use it to your advantage in the UFC. Which was one of the many reasons it was seen as too brutal and why it was illegal in most states and could never be an actual sanctioned sport. The UFC management decided that if they were to survive as a sport that new rules would need to be created. So the head butt was ruled illegal. Does it still happen? Sure, there are accidental head butts that result in broken noses, severe cuts above the eyes etc. Are there penalties or points taken away as the result? You bet. Same for grabbing the cage. You can't do it. Does it still happen yes. The fighters are warned and then penalized.

So it's really very simple.

Sports where folks could be injured often have rules to prevent additional, unnecessary injuries.

I have never said that football or MMA should be deemed illegal just because someone could be injured. Don't assume such just because I endorse a rule you don't.

tulsaoilerfan
12/17/2007, 09:45 PM
IF it's such a bad thing, why is the NFL the only league that has that rule? It should be enforced at all levels so kids won't grow up doing it; hell Roy did it all the time at OU but it wasn't a penalty so i don't recall it ever being discussed

olevetonahill
12/17/2007, 09:57 PM
IF it's such a bad thing, why is the NFL the only league that has that rule? It should be enforced at all levels so kids won't grow up doing it; hell Roy did it all the time at OU but it wasn't a penalty so i don't recall it ever being discussed
He Caught the Bastage and Yanked him down . Roy says" My Bad ":rolleyes:

Jason White's Third Knee
12/17/2007, 10:02 PM
This kind of tackle just isn't a big deal. It looks bad, *but it doesn't do damage.

* Yeah, but it's really rare and damage can be done on every play without anyone being touched.

sooner-n-ga
12/17/2007, 10:05 PM
Within the next 2 seasons, the "horse collar" will be outlawed at the college and high school level. The NFL had to do it quicker because they had one player who continued to use this approach to tackling and had 3 players injured as a result.

olevetonahill
12/17/2007, 10:08 PM
Within the next 2 seasons, the "horse collar" will be outlawed at the college and high school level. The NFL had to do it quicker because they had one player who continued to use this approach to tackling and had 3 players injured as a result.
Go away Boy , you Bother Me .:pop:

Jason White's Third Knee
12/17/2007, 10:08 PM

No... It's because you come off like a total dickhead. You have no tact and don't realize that might play to your audience.

We all have negative things to say about the players now and then, but you choose to yell "niggah" in Harlem.

olevetonahill
12/17/2007, 10:11 PM
Cant we just get the Idjit Bained ?:confused:

tulsaoilerfan
12/17/2007, 10:15 PM
And you heard this where?

Sooner_Bob
12/17/2007, 10:15 PM

I agree . . . but sadly rules differ from pee wee all the way up to the NFL. It might have something to do with the different skill levels.

tulsaoilerfan
12/17/2007, 10:18 PM
I agree . . . but sadly rules differ from pee wee all the way up to the NFL. It might have something to do with the different skill levels.

That's the thing i will never understand about football; if something is a penalty at the highest level it should be a penalty at all levels.

sooner-n-ga
12/17/2007, 10:19 PM
Roy was just suspended for one game because it was his 3rd offense this season ! I guess the NFL thinks it isn't how they want their folks playing.

olevetonahill
12/17/2007, 10:29 PM
Roy was just suspended for one game because it was his 3rd offense this season ! I guess the NFL thinks it isn't how they want their folks playing.
Stupid ! it was his 4th in the Last 2 , Pay Tention

Stitch Face
12/17/2007, 10:57 PM

Do you have anything to discuss except culinary delights and Roy Williams?

Curly Bill
12/17/2007, 10:58 PM

I'm a high school coach, and I can tell you there is no movement afoot to make it illegal. It is not an issue. Thanks for playing though.

Sooner_Bob
12/17/2007, 11:04 PM
That's the thing i will never understand about football; if something is a penalty at the highest level it should be a penalty at all levels.

Just like if your knee is down and you aren't touched you're either down or you're not. It's not you're down if you're in the HS or college game and not down in the NFL.

Same thing with pass interference.

Sooner_Bob
12/17/2007, 11:08 PM
I'm a high school coach, and I can tell you there is no movement afoot to make it illegal. It is not an issue. Thanks for playing though.

It has come up for discussion . . . linky (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/hssports/football/stories/MYSA100907.8D.FBHhorsecollar.2c69063.html)

Excerpt from article:

Since high school football operates under the rules of the NCAA, the college game must first ban the horse collar for it to become illegal on high school fields.

Lewis Stroud, a high school football referee for 35 years, said he hasn't seen many horse-collar tackles in games he's officiated this season. Still, he said he thinks the NCAA might consider banning the technique when it convenes next offseason to discuss potential rule changes.

"They take everything into consideration in regards to safety," Stroud said. "In fact, the majority of the football rules are for safety. ... If there is some kind of problem, they will pick up on that and make rules to take care of that."

Curly Bill
12/17/2007, 11:12 PM
It has come up for discussion . . . linky (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/hssports/football/stories/MYSA100907.8D.FBHhorsecollar.2c69063.html)

Excerpt from article:

I got money says it ain't happenin.

Big Red Ron
12/18/2007, 07:36 AM
Roy Williams must have pegged ol' sooner-n-georgia's old lady.

Sooner_Bob
12/18/2007, 08:00 AM
I got money says it ain't happenin.

Do you honestly think it would be a bad thing if it did happen?

Boomer.....
12/18/2007, 08:32 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071218/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_roy_williams_suspended_4

Curly Bill
12/18/2007, 09:18 AM
Do you honestly think it would be a bad thing if it did happen?

Bad? Not really, but I do honestly think it "sissies" up the game. If colleges and high schools go the way of the NFL how long until it ceases to be tackle football?

This is an admitted exageration by the way, but I think you see what I mean. How long until it's only legal to tackle from the front -- absolutely no tackles from behind or the side where the possibity of injury is greater?

GrapevineSooner
12/18/2007, 09:56 AM
BTW, the suspension ruling's been appealed and a hearing between Roy, Roger Goodell, and Jerry Jones is underway right now. Jerry has a weekly show on the ticket on Tuesday Mornings and made the point that nobody's ever been suspended for an illegal chop block, which in his mind (and my mind as well) is a lot worse of a play than the horsecollar tackle and has caused more injuries.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/18/2007, 09:57 AM
It never helps to argue with a angry ga man. Especially one that hates horsecollars.

sanantoniosooner
12/18/2007, 10:05 AM
When the defense yells "I SPY A FOOTBALL" the player with the ball should lay down on the turf.

BoulderSooner79
12/18/2007, 10:09 AM
Bad? Not really, but I do honestly think it "sissies" up the game. If colleges and high schools go the way of the NFL how long until it ceases to be tackle football?

This is an admitted exageration by the way, but I think you see what I mean. How long until it's only legal to tackle from the front -- absolutely no tackles from behind or the side where the possibity of injury is greater?

I think the game is getting more violent over time due to the size and speed of the players. The injury protection rules are just trying to take out the really high risk situations. But how many NFL QB and RB starters play in all 16 games? I think the horse collar rule is a good one and will impact the game the least of the protection rules because so few players tackle that way and I've only seen a handful of flags from this rule. There seems to be a zillion facemask calls where a guy barely touches the mask. The toughest call as far as impacting the game to me is the "touch the QBs head" rule. You see a lineman with hands-up to block the pass and then his hands barely touch the QB after the release and he gets hit with a 15 yarder. Of course, if the rule is suspended, the slight touch with hands becomes an intention blow with a forearm. Maybe there should be a 5 yard inadvertent variety to stop this silly bale-out call.

soonerinabilene
12/18/2007, 10:09 AM
When the defense yells "I SPY A FOOTBALL" the player with the ball should lay down on the turf.

Will you quit posting Bill Callahan's coaching techniques as your own ideas, please? Thats plagiarism.;)

TexasLidig8r
12/18/2007, 10:11 AM
BTW, the suspension ruling's been appealed and a hearing between Roy, Roger Goodell, and Jerry Jones is underway right now. Jerry has a weekly show on the ticket on Tuesday Mornings and made the point that nobody's ever been suspended for an illegal chop block, which in his mind (and my mind as well) is a lot worse of a play than the horsecollar tackle and has caused more injuries.

And the Musers kept tossing up soft balls for Jerruh to hit out of the park.

Would have loved if they had questioned him along the lines of, "Jerruh, the rule was enacted in great part, because of Roy Williams and the injuries he caused. This is not an isolated incident and in fact, has happened repeatedly this year. Don't you think the suspension is due to the fact that Roy has demonstrated an unwillingness to comply with this rule and not necessarily the rule itself?"

Blatant and repeated violations of the rules result in fines and then suspensions.

If you have an issue with the rule itself, bring it up during the off-season when the Rules Committee meets.

Oh.. as an side, I can't help but wonder if someone like Aaron Ross, Michael Griffin or another DB in the NFL from Texas had done this, what type of outcry there would be on here.

soonerinabilene
12/18/2007, 10:13 AM
Oh.. as an side, I can't help but wonder if someone like Aaron Ross, Michael Griffin or another DB in the NFL from Texas had done this, what type of outcry there would be on here.

you take that kind of logical, rational thinking and get the hell out of here.

sanantoniosooner
12/18/2007, 10:13 AM
ammendments:

The yell shouldn't be loud enough to hurt somebodies ears and the player should lay down very carefully.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/18/2007, 10:17 AM
Roy Williams must have pegged ol' sooner-n-georgia's old lady.

Your going out on a limb saying he has an old lady

Stoop Dawg
12/18/2007, 11:05 AM

Since Texans are sissies, they wouldn't use the horse collar tackle in the first place. So this could never be an issue.

;)

Stoop Dawg
12/18/2007, 11:08 AM

I wonder what percentage of the rule book is devoted to reducing injuries? You're a coach, maybe you could help us out. Is it half? More?

GrapevineSooner
12/18/2007, 11:52 AM
And the Musers kept tossing up soft balls for Jerruh to hit out of the park.

[quote]Would have loved if they had questioned him along the lines of, "Jerruh, the rule was enacted in great part, because of Roy Williams and the injuries he caused. This is not an isolated incident and in fact, has happened repeatedly this year. Don't you think the suspension is due to the fact that Roy has demonstrated an unwillingness to comply with this rule and not necessarily the rule itself?"

[robot greggo]Good point[/robot greggo] ;)

Blatant and repeated violations of the rules result in fines and then suspensions.

And from that standpoint, I can't argue with the decision by Goodell to suspend him. Just that while we're at it, I think repeat offenders of illegal chop blocks should sit as well.

If you have an issue with the rule itself, bring it up during the off-season when the Rules Committee meets.

Yep. To steal a Stoopsism from 2003, everybody knew what the rule was going in. And considering the rule was instituted because of a Roy Williams tackle on T.O. in 2004, he of all players should know what the rule is and should have adjusted his tackling style because of it.

He's failed to do that and he's having to pay a price for his repeated violations of the rule. Woe be to Roy.

Oh c'mon!!! You know we'd all afford the same benefit of the doubt that is afforded to Roy. :D

Curly Bill
12/18/2007, 11:59 AM
I wonder what percentage of the rule book is devoted to reducing injuries? You're a coach, maybe you could help us out. Is it half? More?

17.64%

Stoop Dawg
12/18/2007, 12:28 PM
17.64%

It's your willingness to discuss issues in a mature, well-intentioned manner that makes you such an asset to this board.

toneful
12/18/2007, 12:46 PM
Puzzy rule or not, it's now illegal and therefore should be coached out of TRRW. I think TRRW is so big and oversized for his position that he prefers to stay on his feet as much as possible when tackling. Hence, the horse collar tactic. He easily could have dove and wrapped him up. I don't even think that the play was illegal as interpreted specifically by the rule. I just saw it on the web so the resolution was crap, but it appeared he grabbed the jersey, not the back of the pads. The jersey is ok to grab, no?

What's real funny is hearing chubba bubba Wade Phillips do backflips every chance he gets to appease every single player on his team in the media, no matter how bad they goof on the field. He's what you would call a "player's coach". His castle may collapse around him before too long, i'm afraid. Hope I'm wrong.

Sooner_Bob
12/18/2007, 12:49 PM

Sissies up the game?

Sheesh. Get rid of all the rules then.:rolleyes:

Desert Sapper
12/18/2007, 01:04 PM
Roy probably belongs at some form of LB/Safety hybrid. He covers pass better than most LB, but he covers run better than most DB (and some LB). Forcing him into deep coverage is exposing him to all sorts of matchup issues. He doesn't have the speed to cover deep, but does well in most of the short-medium passes in the flats. I honestly only see him grabbing jersey or 'horse collar' (whatever the hell that is) when he gets beat. I think he will perform much better if he is not used on every down. In another system, he could probably perform at LB, but not in a 3-4 that relies on beefy backers.

Jason White's Third Knee
12/18/2007, 01:14 PM
This thread is so friggin' ghey.

It is turning in to puzzy ball. The whole country is turning in to puzzy ball.

BoulderSooner79
12/18/2007, 01:16 PM
Roy probably belongs at some form of LB/Safety hybrid. He covers pass better than most LB, but he covers run better than most DB (and some LB). Forcing him into deep coverage is exposing him to all sorts of matchup issues. He doesn't have the speed to cover deep, but does well in most of the short-medium passes in the flats. I honestly only see him grabbing jersey or 'horse collar' (whatever the hell that is) when he gets beat. I think he will perform much better if he is not used on every down. In another system, he could probably perform at LB, but not in a 3-4 that relies on beefy backers.

I agree with your assessment of Roy's ability, but disagree about when he uses the horse collar. The McNabb tackle was a perfect example - most players would have just dived at his legs and wrapped-up from that position. I think Wade summed it up in his post-game conference - Roy has just developed a habit and he's had plenty of time to adjust. A pro level player (especially pro-bowl level) has to constantly adjust his game over his career and I'm sure Roy is capable. I hope he does, because I hate to see him miss games due to suspension.

Curly Bill
12/18/2007, 03:07 PM
It's your willingness to discuss issues in a mature, well-intentioned manner that makes you such an asset to this board.

Yeah I know, I should have taken the rule book, had it broke down into rules to prevent injury versus those that don't, so I could properly answer your question. :rolleyes:

Curly Bill
12/18/2007, 03:09 PM
Sissies up the game?

Sheesh. Get rid of all the rules then.:rolleyes:

Did you see the part where I said this was an admitted exageration?

Stoop Dawg
12/18/2007, 03:18 PM
Yeah I know, I should have taken the rule book, had it broke down into rules to prevent injury versus those that don't, so I could properly answer your question. ;)

Or, you could have responded to the obvious point I was trying to make instead of trying to be a smart-***.

There are many, many, many rules in the rule book specifically intended to prevent (or reduce) injuries. There is no question among rational people that some of these rules need to exist.

It's logical to debate whether the "horse collar tackle" specifically warrants a rule, but to imply that implementing such a rule will eventually lead to other rules that prevent tackling altogether is moronic, inflamatory, and counter-productive to a mature debate on this particular rule.

And then you wonder why all of us "morons" don't "get" what you're trying to say.

Curly Bill
12/18/2007, 03:31 PM
Or, you could have responded to the obvious point I was trying to make instead of trying to be a smart-***.

There are many, many, many rules in the rule book specifically intended to prevent (or reduce) injuries. There is no question among rational people that some of these rules need to exist.

It's logical to debate whether the "horse collar tackle" specifically warrants a rule, but to imply that implementing such a rule will eventually lead to other rules that prevent tackling altogether is moronic, inflamatory, and counter-productive to a mature debate on this particular rule.

And then you wonder why all of us "morons" don't "get" what you're trying to say.

A more mature response would be that yes I understand that many football rules are there to prevent or reduce injury. I understand that the horse collar rule is intended for that purpose. Yes I have engaged in considerable hyperbole to bring attention to the fact that I think this rule goes too far. I also think that over the years the NFL has gone too far in implementing rules designed to make football safer, some of which have in my opinion made a mockery of the game, for instance: A DL rushing the QB and barely brushes him on the helmet but gets a 15 yard penalty for it? That's the kind of stuff that makes me poke fun at the NFL's attempt at protecting it's players. Yes we should do it, but please lets not make football ballet.

Disclaimer: using the term ballet was another use of hyperbole :D

Harry Beanbag
12/18/2007, 05:21 PM
I just think it's interesting you can't use this horse collar tackle technique, but it's perfectly ok to grab a player's nappy *** two foot long hair braids hanging out of his helmet and rip him to the ground. Semantics aside, isn't the act itself basically the same?

yermom
12/18/2007, 05:38 PM
someone needs to have tear-away dreads

that would be awesome :D

soonerinabilene
12/18/2007, 05:52 PM
I just think it's interesting you can't use this horse collar tackle technique, but it's perfectly ok to grab a player's nappy *** two foot long hair braids hanging out of his helmet and rip him to the ground. Semantics aside, isn't the act itself basically the same?

Troy palomofo... however you spell his name got tackled by his hair on an interception return and they called a personal foul on the guy that did it.

Big Red Ron
12/18/2007, 05:56 PM
Troy palomofo... however you spell his name got tackled by his hair on an interception return and they called a personal foul on the guy that did it.Sheesh, "No Fun Leauge" strikes again.

"Puzzy Ball" - I like it!

TexasSooner01
12/18/2007, 06:03 PM
Geesh...its not like he got caught running a dog fighting business or anything...

LEAVE TRRW ALONE!!!!LET HIM PLAY BALL!!! IT IS A CONTACT SPORT FOR A REASON!!!! THIS IS GARBAGE AND INAKURATE!!!111!![hairGel]

:D

sanantoniosooner
12/18/2007, 06:18 PM
Troy palomofo... however you spell his name got tackled by his hair on an interception return and they called a personal foul on the guy that did it.
The foul wasn't because he was tackled by his hair.

It was because the guy who tackled him by his hair kept a handful throughout the play and when he was getting up he made a special effort to throw the hair like he was showing the guy up.

There was a lot of discussion when it actually happened and it was clarified rather quickly. Apparently you didn't catch that part.

Stoop Dawg
12/18/2007, 06:27 PM
Talk about "puzzy ball" - taunting should be *required* after you tackle someone by the hair!

Big Red Ron
12/18/2007, 06:58 PM
Talk about "puzzy ball" - taunting should be *required* after you tackle someone by the hair!yip