PDA

View Full Version : Rich Rodriguez to Michigan...

Brasky7
12/16/2007, 02:23 PM
http://www.wvgazette.com/section/Breaking/000001281

LittleWingSooner
12/16/2007, 02:25 PM
http://wboy.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=32640

tulsaoilerfan
12/16/2007, 02:26 PM
Damn u people are fast. :)

Flagstaffsooner
12/16/2007, 02:28 PM
That will really upset the apple cart in Glendale.

When asked if Rodriguez would be coaching the team in the Fiesta Bowl, players responded: "No", "I don't think so" and "No Comment".

Jacie
12/16/2007, 02:57 PM
College athletics is a cutthroat business. An announcement like this before a bowl game is like a gut punch to a team's collective psyche. The hiring school justifies doing this in the name of recruiting. Kinda makes the no-apologies-we-play-the-game-for-money NFL's hands off policy during the playoffs seem downright gentlemanly.

85sooners
12/16/2007, 03:02 PM
lol

Flagstaffsooner
12/16/2007, 03:10 PM
Well that's one less messican in Arizona this January.;)

sooner2b09
12/16/2007, 03:13 PM
Espn article

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3157227

A Sooner in Texas
12/16/2007, 03:14 PM
Let's not get cocky...those players could come out REALLY ****ed off.

Nah. :D

Blues1
12/16/2007, 03:20 PM
I think he made a Mistake... JMHO.....They will be playing for PRIDE for Sure Now....This could go either way for West Virgina....Help or Hurt...???

Keep Rockin'

bluedogok
12/16/2007, 03:22 PM
I have always wondered why they don't shift the recruiting to be more in line with the off-season so this doesn't happen as much.....but then of course the NCAA moves at an iceberg's pace so I don't really expect them to ever change anything.

Ever
12/16/2007, 03:27 PM
Wow. If he bails on them and doesn't coach the bowl then he is a grade A D-bag.

Veritas
12/16/2007, 03:53 PM
Wow. If he bails on them and doesn't coach the bowl then he is a grade A D-bag.
He has, he won't, and he definitely is.

Newbomb Turk
12/16/2007, 04:06 PM
The WV folks probably aren't too happy with Michigan. Didn't the basketball coach leave for Michigan too.

yermom
12/16/2007, 04:07 PM
yep.

Big Red Ron
12/16/2007, 04:36 PM
http://www.wvgazette.com/section/Breaking/000001281
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/5417/image001wc1.jpghttp://gen14.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

Coloradosker
12/16/2007, 04:42 PM
College athletics is a cutthroat business. An announcement like this before a bowl game is like a gut punch to a team's collective psyche. The hiring school justifies doing this in the name of recruiting. Kinda makes the no-apologies-we-play-the-game-for-money NFL's hands off policy during the playoffs seem downright gentlemanly.
Bet your paycheck on the Sooners.

TUSooner
12/16/2007, 04:59 PM
Rodriguez got screwed BADLY by Tulane after the 1998 season. He's one of the good guys. He seems to have been as up-front as any coach in his situation.

Michigan should THANK Les for turning them down; they got a far far better coach in Rodriguez.

Octavian
12/16/2007, 05:15 PM
Michigan should THANK Les for turning them down; they got a far far better coach in Rodriguez.

agreed.

Its a crappy situation but its hard to blame a guy for taking the Michigan job. Most people would leave West Virginia for Michigan. That's not a knock against WV -- most people would leave most places for Michigan.

Still, hopefully RR stays for the Fiesta Bowl. I think the result will be about the same either way.

Blues1
12/16/2007, 05:30 PM
agreed.

Its a crappy situation but its hard to blame a guy for taking the Michigan job. Most people would leave West Virginia for Michigan. That's not a knock against WV -- most people would leave most places for Michigan.

Still, hopefully RR stays for the Fiesta Bowl. I think the result will be about the same either way.

Yep......!

SoonerBOI
12/16/2007, 05:30 PM
We still should not take them for granted. A "wounded" enemy is dangerous. WE MUST SHOW THEM NO MERCY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big Red Ron
12/16/2007, 05:32 PM
Looks like those WVU tards will have their exuses ready for the mud holin they're going to get.

Frozen Sooner
12/16/2007, 05:43 PM
What a scummy sumbitch to target his former school's top recruit.

Terelle Pryor, 5* QB, just dropped WVU and added Michigan. Rodriguez called him before he announced that he took the UM job so he could beat the dead period deadline.

Desert Sapper
12/16/2007, 05:47 PM
Michigan is the winner in this deal. Rodriguez is a great coach. I may be a Sooner fan, but I feel gutshot. Now, even if we spank the **** out of them, the excuses will be flying. Hell, now this is like the lose-lose Fiesta with Boise last year. We lose and everybody will be pointing their finger and collectively laughing. We win and everybody will shrug their shoulders and point to the RR to Meatchicken deal.

Big Red Ron
12/16/2007, 05:47 PM

Terelle Pryor, 5* QB, just dropped WVU and added Michigan. Rodriguez called him before he announced that he took the UM job so he could beat the dead period deadline.I thought he was one of the "Good guys."

:D

TUSooner
12/16/2007, 06:00 PM

Terelle Pryor, 5* QB, just dropped WVU and added Michigan. Rodriguez called him before he announced that he took the UM job so he could beat the dead period deadline.

I thought he was one of the "Good guys."

:D

good = relative term ;)

But really, what was he supposed to do? Recruit the kid, then go to Mich and leave the kid hanging? He had to tell him.

These situations are tough and there's often no easy way. You can do it like RR did or lie your azs off like Saban/Petrino. He's still a good guy.

bluedogok
12/16/2007, 06:01 PM
Hell, now this is like the lose-lose Fiesta with Boise last year. We lose and everybody will be pointing their finger and collectively laughing. We win and everybody will shrug their shoulders and point to the RR to Meatchicken deal.
Bowl games are almost always a lose-lose proposition for the big programs unless it is two of the bigger programs playing each other. the media is going to twist any outcome to their benefit.

TUSooner
12/16/2007, 06:05 PM
Michigan is the winner in this deal. Rodriguez is a great coach. I may be a Sooner fan, but I feel gutshot. Now, even if we spank the **** out of them, the excuses will be flying. Hell, now this is like the lose-lose Fiesta with Boise last year. We lose and everybody will be pointing their finger and collectively laughing. We win and everybody will shrug their shoulders and point to the RR to Meatchicken deal.
Let's take the "win and let 'them' shrug their shoulders and point" option.

Whet
12/16/2007, 06:11 PM
They are also reporting his resignation is effective January 3, 2008. He has a $4 million buy-out in is current contract with WVU, but if he is fired, he doesn't pay.

Some funny reading on their forum. For some reason, several want Terry Bowden to return as their coach!

WVU Forum (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=159&f=2508#s=159&f=2508&t=1664889)

insuranceman_22
12/16/2007, 06:19 PM
I have always wondered why they don't shift the recruiting to be more in line with the off-season so this doesn't happen as much.....but then of course the NCAA moves at an iceberg's pace so I don't really expect them to ever change anything.

I know what you mean, another nice example of ncaa intelligence is the way their national champ. is crowned....... Sorry, way off-base, but reinforces the point anyway.

douxpaysan
12/16/2007, 06:20 PM
When George Patton(Bob Stoops)beat the Nazi horde(WV) in North Africa(Glendale)he found Rommel(Rich Rod)had been recalled to Germany(Meatchicken)just before the climatic battle(Fiesta Bowl). He was disconcerted but then was told he had beat Rommel's plan so in all fairness he had beat Rommel. Break out the scotch...the party has started.:cool:

Seamus
12/16/2007, 06:23 PM
Dunno about that -- if his new employer insisted he start right away, I could understand it. I don't think the two-week notice rule really applies to this situation.

insuranceman_22
12/16/2007, 06:24 PM

In the Rivals article with Pryor, he says that he was informed this morning, before the media........that's going to leave a little extra sour in ol' wes virginnie's mouth.

Scott D
12/16/2007, 06:30 PM
In the Rivals article with Pryor, he says that he was informed this morning, before the media........that's going to leave a little extra sour in ol' wes virginnie's mouth.

which is probably around the time he gathered his team together to inform them.

JohnnyMack
12/16/2007, 06:41 PM
I think he made a Mistake... JMHO.....They will be playing for PRIDE for Sure Now....This could go either way for West Virgina....Help or Hurt...???

Keep Rockin'

I would ask Marcellus Wallace about that.

Desert Sapper
12/16/2007, 06:57 PM
Let's take the "win and let 'them' shrug their shoulders and point" option.

Agree. I want to stomp a mudhole in those hillbillies! :D I can just see that even when we do, we'll get some bull**** asterisk attached to it by ESPN and all the other cocknockers that hate us. It ain't like White and Slaton are transferring to the MC with RR. And the whole WV team will be playing their collective *** off to prove they are undaunted by the news of their coach bailing on them. Hence, I feel gutshot by the news.

Frozen Sooner
12/16/2007, 07:08 PM
good = relative term ;)

But really, what was he supposed to do? Recruit the kid, then go to Mich and leave the kid hanging? He had to tell him.

These situations are tough and there's often no easy way. You can do it like RR did or lie your azs off like Saban/Petrino. He's still a good guy.

I'm OK with calling the kid to let him know he's not going to be at WV. That's kosher and a good thing to do.

I'm not OK with calling the kid and recruiting him to your new school. That's bush league.

bluedogok
12/16/2007, 07:10 PM
Happens all the time....I am sure Calvin did some of that as well and if there hadn't been possible NCAA sanctions involving those recruits more of them probably would have followed him to IU.

Horns 72
12/16/2007, 07:15 PM
Don't know what the situation here is, but sometimes the current school doesn't want the departing coach to coach the bowl game. They also have to think about recruiting, moving on down the road, and letting a new guy take the reins. Many times the departing coach would like one last game with his players, but the school doesn't allow it.

Scott D
12/16/2007, 07:41 PM
I'm OK with calling the kid to let him know he's not going to be at WV. That's kosher and a good thing to do.

I'm not OK with calling the kid and recruiting him to your new school. That's bush league.

yeah, but it goes on all the time. That's probably the biggest factor (deek will disagree) in LSU getting Perriloux. Kinda coincidental he changed tack for good when Leslie took over.

yermom
12/16/2007, 08:06 PM
I would ask Marcellus Wallace about that.

it never helps

EatSchmittOU
12/16/2007, 08:52 PM
RR will NOT coach the Fiesta Bowl. He is no longer the coach at WVU, so why would he?

You know, I figured OU would beat us pretty soundly, but now I'm sure of it. WVU doesn't stand a chance in this game. Their heart won't be in it.

And you know, I think OU will deserve every ounce of credit. I think most of the country knows what a talented bunch you guys have. If they win, they will have earned and deserved every bit of it.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/16/2007, 08:56 PM
RR will NOT coach the Fiesta Bowl. He is no longer the coach at WVU, so why would he?

You know, I figured OU would beat us pretty soundly, but now I'm sure of it. WVU doesn't stand a chance in this game. Their heart won't be in it.

And you know, I think OU will deserve every ounce of credit. I think most of the country knows what a talented bunch you guys have. If they win, they will have earned and deserved every bit of it.

Wow. You're posts warrants the response thanks..

You're handle compels me to tell you to suck it...

CORNholio
12/16/2007, 09:05 PM
Would be interesting if Bobby Petrino bolts to West Va. Not gonna happen but it would be pure comedy.

EatSchmittOU
12/16/2007, 09:06 PM
Wow. You're posts warrants the response thanks..

You're handle compels me to tell you to suck it...

Haha, I couldn't resist. Even when you beat us 48-10 you will still be eating a little bit of Schmitt. I mean, have you seen that guy??:eek:

EatSchmittOU
12/16/2007, 09:07 PM
Would be interesting if Bobby Petrino bolts to West Va. Not gonna happen but it would be pure comedy.

I would quit WVU football if that happened.

CORNholio
12/16/2007, 09:13 PM
I wonder how long RR has been talking to Michigan. Is it possible that he was talking to them before the Pitt game? Being distracted and not properly preparing for the panthers costing them a national championship shot.

jkjsooner
12/16/2007, 09:20 PM

I disagree. White and Slaton are extremely talented and they will be playing hard.

r5TPsooner
12/16/2007, 09:23 PM
I wonder how long RR has been talking to Michigan. Is it possible that he was talking to them before the Pitt game? Being distracted and not properly preparing for the panthers costing them a national championship shot.

His team sure played like there were some distractions.

Just sayin.

soonerP_A_C
12/16/2007, 09:35 PM
I heard on WWLS that RR is also the WVU offensive coordinator... If that's the case they truly are in trouble. It's a double blow to their gameplan...

sooneron
12/16/2007, 10:11 PM

http://photo.gangus.com/d/26788-2/ackbar.jpg

MichiganSooner
12/16/2007, 10:18 PM
Don't know what the situation here is, but sometimes the current school doesn't want the departing coach to coach the bowl game. They also have to think about recruiting, moving on down the road, and letting a new guy take the reins. Many times the departing coach would like one last game with his players, but the school doesn't allow it.

Reminds me of basketball coach Bill Frieder of Michigan getting hired by Arizona State. Frieder walked into the AD's office to tell Bo that he was going to the desert but would coach Michigan through the NCAA tournament. Bo told him, "A Michigan man will coach a Michigan team" and kicked him out of Ann Arbor.

The interim coach led Blue to the National Championship in that tournament.

bluedogok
12/16/2007, 10:20 PM
That was one of the best teams that money could buy.......

Larry&Leisa
12/16/2007, 10:27 PM
wow.. and now there are a couple of threads on the WVU scout board of the Pitt game being 'thrown'.....

goingoneight
12/16/2007, 10:38 PM

Well, OUr guys are definitely pumped about going into the Fiesta Bowl. Many view it as "another chance" after Boise State, but the mindset has been a jumpstart to 2008. We really need a strong showing considering OUr last three BCS bowls' results. I look at it as a "must win" before RR left, and a "can't lose" afterward. A win here means probably #1 or #2 going into next year, and Stoops gets some of his big game credibility back that the stupid media thinks he's lost because they focus more on his shortcomings.

We need this for recruiting purposes, for pride, revenge (on the Fiesta Bowl fiasco 2007) and for respect. As insanely talented as we are, people are not going to forget the TCU's, the Boise States, Colorados and 55-19's until they flat-out stop happening. Remember how we gained such a strong reputation, some touting us as the best ever in the early 2000s? Would that have even happened if not for the three consecutive bowl victories, including two BCS bowls, one being for it all?

goingoneight
12/16/2007, 10:41 PM

More like "my entire team feeds off of one man's talent, fire and leadership. Oh, yeah... he's on the bench right now."

Take Vince Young away from Texas in 2005 and what do you have? 8-4 at best. Same here. He is/was the leader and commander of his team and unfortunately got bit by the injury bug.

soonergirlNeugene
12/16/2007, 10:47 PM
Textbook case of mass hysteria over on the WVU boards
Evidence (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=159&f=2508#s=159&f=2508&t=1668918)

Larry&Leisa
12/16/2007, 10:52 PM
^^ omg...they have truely lost it! well.. some of em...

utex74
12/16/2007, 10:54 PM
Well that's one less messican in Arizona this January.;)

Just what your board doesn't need.

soonerboomer93
12/17/2007, 02:37 AM
why?

as the token minority of hispanic descent, i know flag well enough to understand he's just ****ing around

there are people i would not let get away with saying that ****, and there are people I haven't let get away with that ****.
but flag, i couldn't care less. This is a board full of smartasses after all.

Crucifax Autumn
12/17/2007, 02:49 AM
Smartasses? Here?

soonerboomer93
12/17/2007, 03:17 AM
don't make me neg you to bolivian

Frozen Sooner
12/17/2007, 03:18 AM
Isn't Bolivian where Mexicans come from?

HSC-Sooner
12/17/2007, 03:24 AM
I wonder if the team will play their hearts out for RR just before he leaves...

...nahh!!! OU 45, WVU 13

soonerboomer93
12/17/2007, 06:13 AM

yeah, i figured negging him there would let him add himself to the token mezcan list

Harry Beanbag
12/17/2007, 07:28 AM
Just what your board doesn't need.

More stinking whorns, you're right.

Scott D
12/17/2007, 09:18 AM
man, the idiots that were calling to WDFN up here are hilarious. If you took a poll, about 20% of michigan fans that called were in favor of the hire, 100% of the ohio state fans, and 100% of the michigan state fans.

The best remarks I've heard that made me laugh was a fan's fear of Rodriguez bringing in a Chris Henry/Adam Jones type of personality.

LosAngelesSooner
12/17/2007, 12:02 PM
why?

as the token minority of hispanic descent, i know flag well enough to understand he's just ****ing around

there are people i would not let get away with saying that ****, and there are people I haven't let get away with that ****.
but flag, i couldn't care less. This is a board full of smartasses after all.
Smartasses?

Us?

mdklatt
12/17/2007, 12:28 PM

Tinfoil Hat Theory:

Leslie was gonna bolt for Michigan as soon as the SEC CCG was over. However, no one with two brain cells to rub together leaves a team that's playing for an MNC. The highly improbably loss of WVU (combined with the expected loss of Mizzou) kept Miles at LSU by putting them in the MNC game, thus keeping the Michigan job open for Rodriguez who was now freed from WVU because they were now out.

EDIT: I forgot the tinfoil hat part--Rodriguez obviously threw the Pitt game!

:pop:

Scott D
12/17/2007, 01:01 PM
Tinfoil Hat Theory:

Leslie was gonna bolt for Michigan as soon as the SEC CCG was over. However, no one with two brain cells to rub together leaves a team that's playing for an MNC. The highly improbably loss of WVU (combined with the expected loss of Mizzou) kept Miles at LSU by putting them in the MNC game, thus keeping the Michigan job open for Rodriguez who was now freed from WVU because they were now out.

:pop:

no the tinfoil hat mentality up here has Rodriguez here as the offensive coordinator, but for now he has the head coach mantle for recruiting. Leslie is going to be the new head coach as of January 8th ;)

HopeSpringsEternal
12/17/2007, 07:59 PM

I don't know about coming from there, but I'm pretty sure they carry a lot of it with them.