PDA

View Full Version : New scoreboard...

German Corner
12/16/2007, 12:58 PM
Does anyone have a rendering and dimensions of the new scoreboard for the south end zone?

Petro-Sooner
12/16/2007, 01:39 PM
Its a 52 inch Panasonic.

I got nothing........

Seamus
12/16/2007, 01:58 PM
Hey, that's the one I'm getting pretty soon.

Lott's Bandana
12/16/2007, 04:05 PM
Linkage:

http://www.advfn.com/news_OU-regents-approve-new-video-scoreboards_20041299.html

Daktronic OU regents approve new video scoreboards

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) - Call it scoreboard envy.
University of Oklahoma Regents approved about $10 million for new
scoreboards less than a year after the Sooners' Big 12 rivals, Texas and Texas
A&M, spent millions on new electronic displays, including the Longhorns' massive
"Godzillatron."
South Dakota-based Daktronics Inc., the same company that put together
Texas' new scoreboard, was selected for the Oklahoma project.
New scoreboards, video displays and sound systems will be constructed at
Memorial Stadium and Lloyd Noble Center. OU Athletics Director Joe Castiglione
said sponsorship revenue will pay for the new equipment.
"We are making upgrades that will greatly enhance the fan experience at our
two most visible venues," Castiglione said in a statement Thursday. "In the end,
a trip to an OU game will be more complete and more exciting in many ways."
The first phase of the project at the football stadium, which will be
installed before the start of the 2007 season, includes a new video replay board
in the north end zone. The second phase features a new four-sided video
scoreboard, video displays and sound system at the Lloyd Noble Center in time
for the 2007-2008 basketball season.
The final phase of the project, scheduled for completion before the 2008
football season, will include the replacement of the current 21-by-36-foot video
scoreboard in the stadium's south end zone with a mammoth 32-by-113-foot display
capable of high-definition video replay. "OU fans will absolutely love the size and clarity of the new football
scoreboard," said Jay Parker, national sales manager for Daktronics. "It will be
one of the largest in collegiate sports."
OU's scoreboard won't be as large as the University of Texas' aptly named
Godzillatron, which towers over the stadium's south end zone at 55 feet tall and
134 feet wide, but will be similar in size to new boards at Nebraska and
Arkansas.
Meanwhile, at Oklahoma State University, stadium renovations are continuing
at Boone Pickens Stadium, but tentative plans do call for new video scoreboards
once the project is completed in two years, said OSU spokesman Kevin Klintworth.
The plan is for two 20-by-60-foot video scoreboards in the west end zone and
two smaller screens in the east zone, but details haven't been decided,
Klintworth said.
"We're still two years away from being finished," he said. "Who knows what
kind of technology they'll have by then."
OU President David Boren also announced a $2 million gift from the Ethics
and Excellence in Journalism Foundation to OU's College of Journalism and a $2
million gift from Inasmuch Foundation to the OU Cancer Institute.

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be
published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

swardboy
12/16/2007, 04:15 PM
Awesome.

jkjsooner
12/16/2007, 09:31 PM
Wow! Didn't they just put a new video board in about three years ago?

It sounds like the new board will fill up almost the entire south structure. That's nice. I suspect that the new display will be used to replace all the functions of the scoreboard (scores, game clock, etc.). In addition, they really don't need the big ad billboards when the video board can be used for the same purpose.

When they replaced the video board a few years ago, they took the display from the original board and used it for the video banners on the side. I wonder if they'll do something similar with the current board?

OUMonster
12/16/2007, 09:36 PM
When they replaced the video board a few years ago, they took the display from the original board and used it for the video banners on the side. I wonder if they'll do something similar with the current board?

How about PTVs above each urinal?

King Crimson
12/16/2007, 09:39 PM
i'd rather just win. don't care so much for the spectacle.

Soonerfan88
12/16/2007, 10:09 PM
Wow! Didn't they just put a new video board in about three years ago?

The old board was put up in 2003, I think. New ribbon screens have already been put in and run the entire length of the east & west upper decks.

JohnnyMack
12/16/2007, 10:13 PM
Bruce is not impressed.

goingoneight
12/16/2007, 10:21 PM
What do you think goes through recruits minds when they visit on gameday, a big play is made and they get to see it larger than life on a state-of-the-art replay board?

I'll tell you what they think... they think "wow, that's amazing" and "that could be me someday..." Same for adding the Switzer Center everyone bitched and moaned about spending so much $$$ on. Heisman gardens, SC, bigarse stadium... youbetcha it helps you to not lose recruits to the likes of OSewe and R-Kansas, etc.

sooneron
12/16/2007, 10:23 PM
No ****, if you need a screen that size, what are you doing AT the game?

Ut's screen is gawdawful looking as about 1/3 of it is covered with ads. I will guarantee you the same thing from Ca$tiglione.

sooneron
12/16/2007, 10:25 PM
Stupid....

http://www.mahrt.org/gallery/d/1419-2/IMG_0969.JPG

King Crimson
12/16/2007, 10:32 PM
What do you think goes through recruits minds when they visit on gameday, a big play is made and they get to see it larger than life on a state-of-the-art replay board?

I'll tell you what they think... they think "wow, that's amazing" and "that could be me someday..." Same for adding the Switzer Center everyone bitched and moaned about spending so much $$$ on. Heisman gardens, SC, bigarse stadium... youbetcha it helps you to not lose recruits to the likes of OSewe and R-Kansas, etc.

wow. a lecture on what potential college students think.

rock on.

outside of your immediate family, you've experienced how many college freshmen on a day to day basis in the last 10 years?

the Heisman Gardens are for old-timers (and nostalgia $ contributions), very few people going to OU right now have any clue who Steve Owens, Billy Vessels, or Billy Sims are. nor do they care.

King Crimson
12/16/2007, 10:35 PM
I will guarantee you the same thing from Ca$tiglione.

you think?

sooneron
12/16/2007, 10:42 PM
More like, know.

Larry&Leisa
12/16/2007, 10:48 PM
it makes it easier for ball carrier to see if anyone is coming from a different angle or is catching up to them?? :)

JohnnyMack
12/16/2007, 11:38 PM
Stupid....

http://www.mahrt.org/gallery/d/1419-2/IMG_0969.JPG

I don't know for sure that their display is in HD.

If ours ends up looking like the Philadelphia Eagles, I'll have a hard time not whacking it in my seat.

http://www.viewimages.com/Search.aspx?mid=51847539&epmid=2&partner=Google

FirstandGoal
12/16/2007, 11:42 PM
Well this is great. Now we will have an even bigger, better HD screen to see all of the plays that the refs jack us on. Just what I always wanted.

sooneron
12/16/2007, 11:42 PM
I don't know for sure that their display is in HD.

If ours ends up looking like the Philadelphia Eagles, I'll have a hard time not whacking it in my seat.

http://www.viewimages.com/Search.aspx?mid=51847539&epmid=2&partner=Google
Yeah, that hd screen will make it feel almost like you're there in person!!

goingoneight
12/16/2007, 11:56 PM
wow. a lecture on what potential college students think.

rock on.

outside of your immediate family, you've experienced how many college freshmen on a day to day basis in the last 10 years?

:confused:

the Heisman Gardens are for old-timers (and nostalgia $ contributions), very few people going to OU right now have any clue who Steve Owens, Billy Vessels, or Billy Sims are. nor do they care.

Agreed. However, contrary to Crimson Glasses-Vision, people and recruits do enjoy facility upgrades. Will it help the orange turds up north and south win recruiting battles? It could, but it's not likely. However, there are more than a few guys we have signed in recent years who were sold on OUr facilities. Curtis Lofton comes to mind.

Putting this in isn't like firing Stoops and trying to get someone they feel is "better," it's doing the stadium and it's guests a favor. Not everyone in that stadium can see the precious nameplates, who made this tackle, what just happened, was that pass caught or dropped, etc. It's not like OUr football program isn't generating the funds to upgrade stuff. Also, Asstin is a lot more commercial place than teh OKC is. Anyone who visits there knows that. Sure, well have sponsor stuff here and there, but long before the godzillatron, Hook 'ems were pizzed off because the announcers would say things like "Taco Bell first down" and "(totally blows off the play) be sure to check out the deals at (insert sponsor name here)." The "Adzilla" is nothing new to them.

We have a lot of sponsors tags, but if you've noticed, they play leading up to the game, halftime, timeouts and that kind of stuff. During the game it's strictly field and replay. Also, if we "approved" the $10 million budget, it's different than receiving it, ala Gaylord Family and/or Booger Pickin' style, where they want [insert sponsor here] tagged all over it.

A Sooner in Texas
12/17/2007, 01:57 AM
No ****, if you need a screen that size, what are you doing AT the game?

Ut's screen is gawdawful looking as about 1/3 of it is covered with ads. I will guarantee you the same thing from Ca$tiglione.

Godzillatron ain't so huge once you see about 2/3 of it covered with ads.

OklahomaTuba
12/17/2007, 09:29 AM
This is just part of the game these days.

We can't pretend we are playing in the 1950's like Notre Dame does, or we might end up like Notre Dame!!

OU can't compete on tradition alone. Tradition just about killed the program in the 1990's.

sooneron
12/17/2007, 09:55 AM
:confused:

Agreed. However, contrary to Crimson Glasses-Vision, people and recruits do enjoy facility upgrades. Will it help the orange turds up north and south win recruiting battles? It could, but it's not likely. However, there are more than a few guys we have signed in recent years who were sold on OUr facilities. Curtis Lofton comes to mind.

Putting this in isn't like firing Stoops and trying to get someone they feel is "better," it's doing the stadium and it's guests a favor. Not everyone in that stadium can see the precious nameplates, who made this tackle, what just happened, was that pass caught or dropped, etc. It's not like OUr football program isn't generating the funds to upgrade stuff. Also, Asstin is a lot more commercial place than teh OKC is. Anyone who visits there knows that. Sure, well have sponsor stuff here and there, but long before the godzillatron, Hook 'ems were pizzed off because the announcers would say things like "Taco Bell first down" and "(totally blows off the play) be sure to check out the deals at (insert sponsor name here)." The "Adzilla" is nothing new to them.

We have a lot of sponsors tags, but if you've noticed, they play leading up to the game, halftime, timeouts and that kind of stuff. During the game it's strictly field and replay. Also, if we "approved" the $10 million budget, it's different than receiving it, ala Gaylord Family and/or Booger Pickin' style, where they want [insert sponsor here] tagged all over it.
I have seen the McBride logo swoosh across the screen, between plays.
You guys are crazy if you don't think that this will be another way to generate more $ by the AD.
I seriously doubt that recruits could give a **** what the fans are watching at the game. Facilities are : Where you sleep, where you train, where you hang out, where you study, where you play (size/tv coverage).... etc.

And I doubt that Soonervision is going hd anytime in the next two years. The gear for that will cost a LOT.