PDA

View Full Version : Selling out and buying property

Chuck Bao
12/16/2007, 06:57 AM
I’ve given up on the stock market. You crazy Americans can’t get your **** together and I don’t think you will anytime soon.

So, I’m selling my shares and buying property because I need a place to live and grow stuff.

The land deal should be completed the end of this week. I’m buying only about three acres in Nong Bua Lampoo province, way out in the middle of nowhere near the Lao border, but it comes at the sweet price of US$6,000. I think I’ll plant some trees or something and build a shack on stilts and drink local moonshine. Just you wait, I’ll be the east version of Olevet but without the mechanical skills.

Foreigners can’t actually own land in Thailand, so it’s not really officially mine. But, we are going to keep this a secret.

The condo thing isn’t a real condo. It’s a restaurant. But, it’s cheap. The bank that foreclosed on it is willing to sell the 940 sq ft 2nd floor space of an apartment building for a grand total of US$45,000. Some of you probably paid as much for your SUVs.

At first, I was like that’d be so cool, I can have a restaurant kitchen and throw in a bed and a TV and an internet connection and I’m good.

But, I doubt if this place ever passed any health inspection and it’s pretty grody for a Swiss fondue restaurant (with the plugs for every table and the strange German name, I guess that was what it was). Anyway, I’m not sure I’d feel safe there, alone.

There are glass walls on two sides, so I’m going to have tear everything out and build walls and stuff. I think another US$45,000 can make it a home, I hope.

I putting down my down payment tomorrow.

So, if you had 940 sq ft of empty space, what would you make of it? I’m thinking of a sports bar theme with bar, big screen TV, internet connection and a bed.

Okla-homey
12/16/2007, 07:32 AM
I’ve given up on the stock market. You crazy Americans can’t get your **** together and I don’t think you will anytime soon.

So, I’m selling my shares and buying property because I need a place to live and grow stuff.

The land deal should be completed the end of this week. I’m buying only about three acres in Nong Bua Lampoo province, way out in the middle of nowhere near the Lao border, but it comes at the sweet price of US$6,000. I think I’ll plant some trees or something and build a shack on stilts and drink local moonshine. Just you wait, I’ll be the east version of Olevet but without the mechanical skills.

Foreigners can’t actually own land in Thailand, so it’s not really officially mine. But, we are going to keep this a secret.

The condo thing isn’t a real condo. It’s a restaurant. But, it’s cheap. The bank that foreclosed on it is willing to sell the 940 sq ft 2nd floor space of an apartment building for a grand total of US$45,000. Some of you probably paid as much for your SUVs.

At first, I was like that’d be so cool, I can have a restaurant kitchen and throw in a bed and a TV and an internet connection and I’m good.

But, I doubt if this place ever passed any health inspection and it’s pretty grody for a Swiss fondue restaurant (with the plugs for every table and the strange German name, I guess that was what it was). Anyway, I’m not sure I’d feel safe there, alone.

There are glass walls on two sides, so I’m going to have tear everything out and build walls and stuff. I think another US$45,000 can make it a home, I hope.

I putting down my down payment tomorrow.

So, if you had 940 sq ft of empty space, what would you make of it? I’m thinking of a sports bar theme with bar, big screen TV, internet connection and a bed.

To heck with that. Put in a small stage, brass pole and four tables made from utility wire spools. Buy an awesome boombox, an "AC/DC" CD, hang a few Harley-Davidson signs and posters, and string up some Christmas lights. Name this place "American Biker Bar." Then, come home for a month and recruit 5 roundeye girls to go back with you and become strippers. Ideally two blondes, a redhead, a brunette and a black girl. Promise them free boob jobs if they agree to work for you for a year. You get a third of all their tips. You'll be wealthy beyond your wildest dreams in no time .:D :texan:

Chuck Bao
12/16/2007, 07:55 AM
To heck with that. Put in a small stage, brass pole and four tables made from utility wire spools. Buy an awesome boombox, an "AC/DC" CD, hang a few Harley-Davidson signs and posters, and string up some Christmas lights. Name this place "American Biker Bar." Then, come home for a month and recruit 5 roundeye girls to go back with you and become strippers. Ideally two blondes, a redhead, a brunette and a black girl. Promise them free boob jobs if they agree to work for you for a year. You get a third of all their tips. You'll be wealthy beyond your wildest dreams in no time .:D :texan:

Double Heh! That's a good thought. That's a damn good thought. If asked what I do, I'd much rather say that I run a go-go bar than admit that I'm a stockbroker. It's more honest. Unfortunately, there is that dark side to it. The legal side. Liquor licences and zoning and such. Sadly this pleasant thought isn't going to work out.

Okla-homey
12/16/2007, 09:30 AM
Double Heh! Unfortunately, there is that dark side to it. The legal side. Liquor licences and zoning and such. Sadly this pleasant thought isn't going to work out.

pffft. There must be the Thai equivalent of the mob. Just pay those guys their 10% (or whatever the going rate is,) and the rest of that stuff takes care of itself. Plus, a few bucks to grease the government bureaucrat who "licenses" such establishments. Unless that part of the world has changed substantially since I was there in the 90's.

OKLA21FAN
12/16/2007, 10:08 AM
one word...................

PLASTICS