PDA

View Full Version : So, I've been wanting to do this for awhile

Ash
12/16/2007, 03:24 AM
now. No, not that.

I've been something like the family historian when it comes to the people who paid the ultimate sacrifice for our country and those who have served proudly.

I have insignia and medals from WWII up to my uncle's airborne regalia from the 80s. This includes my late father, who I'd especially like to honor.

Anyway, I've got a ton of the stuff including patches and pins/medals. I want to frame it and hang it up to honor these guys. Not sure how to go about it. I was wondering if anyone has done something similar or has any ideas. I should also say that I want it to have as little impact as possible on the material because I want to pass this stuff down through the family. IMHO, we should honor these guys for generations. Many of the men represented in this tribute never made it back.

Any and all (serious) feedback would be appreciated.

soonersweetie
12/16/2007, 04:36 AM
that's a very cool idea. I am not sure how you would go about it. Maybe visit some websites that might deal with that or are there any museums that you could get ideas from?

Anyone have any ideas, he is right, we should honor these guys.

If I find anything, I'll let you know.

VMG
12/16/2007, 05:41 AM
Ash, try this link for background...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_box

You should be able to find plenty of on-line sites to choose from. Here's one for example ( and no, I have no financial interest).

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&search-alias=garden&field-brandtextbin=Freedom%20Display%20Cases

Okla-homey
12/16/2007, 06:07 AM
I have had a few of these made. My thoughts. Not necessarily in order of importance.

1) Find a reputable local custom frame shop. Preferably in a decent size town. That way, you can look the person building it in the eye and tell them how valuable these items are to you. For example, we have a place called "Ziegler's" in Tulsa that does super work.

2) DO NOT allow them to use glue. Instead, use wire or the pinback which is part of the badge/insignia/medal to attach things to the backing. Embroidered patches can be lightly "tacked" to the backing with very fine thread. In this way, none of your items will be forever damaged or permanently attached.

3) Have them use "museum quality" mat board and internal adhesives. These materials have less acids which over time can attack the items inside.

4) Use the glass with the UV protection.

5) When it's finished, DO NOT hang it in a highly lit or otherwise sunny spot. Even with the anti-UV glass, eventually you'll get fading if the shadowbox is hung in a sunny spot.

Ash
12/16/2007, 02:18 PM
Great ideas and suggestions, everyone. Thanks for the responses!

Lott's Bandana
12/16/2007, 04:26 PM
My shadowbox was done in Koa wood from the Big Island and, along with my medals/ribbons and duty stations, it has a folded National Ensign that was flown over the Arizona Memorial on December 7th, 1998. A native Hawai'ian shipmate had it made for me and it is absolutely:

treasure

SouthFortySooner
12/16/2007, 10:49 PM
Be sure the person matting and sealing the shadowbox knows how the medals/pins hang. I did this for a Vietnam Vet. friend and there are some of them upside down. Sealed :sad:

Ash
12/16/2007, 11:01 PM
I figured I'd have to go the custom route like Homey suggested. The standard shadow box set ups that I've seen aren't big enough for all the material but are still pricey. I might still have to break it up into several frames, but if possible would like to have one frame.

Thanks again for the feedback everyone. This means a lot to me and I want to do it right.