PDA

View Full Version : The National Weather Service has issued a pansy warning for American Airlines at DFW.

SoonerStormchaser
12/15/2007, 03:33 PM
Apparently, they freaked out so badly at all this non-snow we were having in Oklahoma yesterday evening that they saw it fit to cancel EVERY SINGLE FLIGHT to OKC after 5 last night. Sooooo...they were originally going to rebook me from San Antonio up to here leaving at noon today getting into OKC at 4:30. Yah right.

After talking to the agent, they rebooked me last night on United through Denver...and I got in about 30 minutes earlier on them than I would have had I flown my original flights on American.

And the snow is falling...where?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Still no juice at our house...so we're staying with her parents this weekend...

OUTromBoNado
12/16/2007, 01:20 AM
Actually, American Airlines has the own forecasting group. Blame them. Hell, everyone pretty much missed this one. But, after what we just went through last weekend, I don't think too many people are complaining.

Chuck Bao
12/16/2007, 01:44 AM
So, not much snow? How about southern Oklahoma near Ardmore? I want the bad weather out of the way before i fly home next Friday.

olevetonahill
12/16/2007, 02:15 AM
Does the AF really pay you ?

VMG
12/16/2007, 05:47 AM

LOL. Hey SSC, ever hear that old saw about old pilots and bold pilots...?

jk the sooner fan
12/16/2007, 08:44 AM

bingo

Okla-homey
12/16/2007, 09:39 AM

so why didn't she get in the danged car and drive to SA where you are and where you have power?

You scare me boy.

sheesh.

jk the sooner fan
12/16/2007, 10:45 AM
PEE DUBYA

Frozen Sooner
12/16/2007, 12:48 PM
You know, personally, I'd rather that airlines-who routinely carry pressurized tubes containing 100+ people-play the percentages with weather forecasts and try to avoid as much dangerous weather as possible.

SSC, perhaps you should just start flying "available transport" as you don't seem to have any luck with the civilian transport system.

1stTimeCaller
12/16/2007, 02:46 PM
how much do you spend each month on airline tickets?

sanantoniosooner
12/16/2007, 02:50 PM
Dang.........how old are her parents?

Flagstaffsooner
12/16/2007, 02:55 PM
Dang.........how old are her parents?:D

Okla-homey
12/16/2007, 02:58 PM
You know, personally, I'd rather that airlines-who routinely carry pressurized tubes containing 100+ people-play the percentages with weather forecasts and try to avoid as much dangerous weather as possible.

SSC, perhaps you should just start flying "available transport" as you don't seem to have any luck with the civilian transport system.

Mike,

two problems with that.

#1: you gotta be on leave to fly Space-A. I expect he's on pass when he makes these runs. There is typically no limit to how far you can roam on the weekends when you're on weekend pass while in training as long as you can be back for the first scheduled training event on Monday morning all bright-eyed and bushy tailed.

#2: Not a lot of military traffic directly between SA and Tinker I would imagine. Let lone the dependable sort one could rely on to have you back in time for class on Sunday night.

I shudder at the thought of the kind of debt he's racking up buying these tix every stinkin' weekend. Of course, as Olevet surmises, maybe he's a boy toy and the cougar is rich.:D

As an aside, there were times I went to schools, some over six months in length, and I flew her out once at about the 1/3 of the way thru point, and I went back home for a weekend at the 2/3 point. But that was about it. I don't get this every weekend dealio.

Okla-homey
12/16/2007, 03:02 PM
Dang.........how old are her parents?

ZANG!

http://aycu11.webshots.com/image/38010/2001799049283603867_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2001799049283603867)

Flagstaffsooner
12/16/2007, 03:19 PM
I can't wait until Olevet sees this thread.

Frozen Sooner
12/16/2007, 03:22 PM
Mike,

two problems with that.

#1: you gotta be on leave to fly Space-A. I expect he's on pass when he makes these runs. There is typically no limit to how far you can roam on the weekends when you're on weekend pass while in training as long as you can be back for the first scheduled training event on Monday morning all bright-eyed and bushy tailed.

#2: Not a lot of military traffic directly between SA and Tinker I would imagine. Let lone the dependable sort one could rely on to have you back in time for class on Sunday night.

I shudder at the thought of the kind of debt he's racking up buying these tix every stinkin' weekend. Of course, as Olevet surmises, maybe he's a boy toy and the cougar is rich.:D

As an aside, there were times I went to schools, some over six months in length, and I flew her out once at about the 1/3 of the way thru point, and I went back home for a weekend at the 2/3 point. But that was about it. I don't get this every weekend dealio.

Yeah, I know that it ain't easy or reliable to fly that way. I'm just sayin'-for the amount of complaining he does about the civilian flights maybe he should try something else.

I don't know-does Amtrak go between SA and OKC?

Okla-homey
12/16/2007, 03:25 PM
Yeah, I know that it ain't easy or reliable to fly that way. I'm just sayin'-for the amount of complaining he does about the civilian flights maybe he should try something else.

I don't know-does Amtrak go between SA and OKC?

I believe the southern terminus for the "Heartland Flyer" is Ft. Worth.

Half a Hundred
12/16/2007, 03:29 PM
I believe the southern terminus for the "Heartland Flyer" is Ft. Worth.

Yep... but the Texas Eagle goes to Dallas from S.A., and the TRE transfers between the two stations (D/FW), making that route available.

Newbomb Turk
12/16/2007, 03:40 PM
Yep... but the Texas Eagle goes to Dallas from S.A., and the TRE transfers between the two stations (D/FW), making that route available.

you'd spend the whole weekend on a train.

Flagstaffsooner
12/16/2007, 03:52 PM
you'd spend the whole weekend on a train.That would be better than spending it with....nm.

Frozen Sooner
12/16/2007, 03:53 PM
you'd spend the whole weekend on a train.

Well, then, Ike needs to get to work on transporter beams.

bluedogok
12/16/2007, 04:37 PM
As bad as it is to deal with the airlines anymore we always drive back to OKC to see my family. 6.5 hours from South Austin isn't really that much longer than it takes to fly anymore with airport time since there are very few direct flights.

The Texas based airline industry (Continental, American, Southwest) killed the Texas Triangle TGV train back in the early 90's.

trwxxa
12/16/2007, 05:54 PM
Actually, American Airlines has the own forecasting group. Blame them. Hell, everyone pretty much missed this one. But, after what we just went through last weekend, I don't think too many people are complaining.

The ironic thing is that AA contracts their weather support to WeatherNews, which is officed at the new weather center in NORMAN!:D

mdklatt
12/16/2007, 05:58 PM
Actually, American Airlines has the own forecasting group.

Not anymore. They outsourced it a few years ago.

SoonerStormchaser
12/16/2007, 11:47 PM
To answer all your questions:

a. If AA really does have forecasters, I wanna know what weather models they were looking at this past week that would've convinced them to cancel EVERY SINGLE FLIGHT into OKC and TUL...cause all the models I looked at (granted, I didn't finish my meteorology degree, but I got far enough to know what I'm looking at) showed no more than 2-4 inches of snow in both OKC and TUL. Wichititty and Kansas City, otoh, were showing a bit more. Hell, even the NWS's official forecast wasn't showing anything near the gloom and doom they were showing for the ice storm of death.

b. Her parents are 76 and 70, respectively. By comparison, my maternal grandmother is 87 and my paternal grandmother is 83 (both my grandfathers are deceased).

c. Hell no on Amtrak! Did that once between Norman and San Marcos...spending an entire day on a train to travel 415 miles is not my idea of fun. And, given that I can't leave the base til 4:30 at the earliest on Fridays and I have to be back by start of duty on Monday, I'm limited on what I can take. And sorry Mike, as Randolph is an AETC base and Tinker is an AFMC/ACC base (meaning no big *** cargo/space-A aircraft), I can't go direct. And I am hellbound and determined to NOT drive up there til it's time for me to (hopefully) move back to Tinker. 1,000 miles a weekend on my car r/t isn't the best idea.

d. With all due respect, how much I spend on tix is my business...I do what I feel is necessary for my wife and my family. If that means spending more $$ on plane tix and less on the frivolities down here (unlike the rest of my class, I don't go hit the O-club bar after work), then so be it. I absolutely love my wife, and I'm doing what I feel is necessary for our marriage and our family.

OUTromBoNado
12/17/2007, 02:00 AM
Not anymore. They outsourced it a few years ago.

Yeah, I know that. The father of one of my close friends from OU is with them. I guess I should have been a little more clearer on that point.

It matters not. Point being, they still have their own independent forecasts, so blame them if you're gonna blame someone.

Okla-homey
12/17/2007, 06:35 AM
To answer all your questions:

d. With all due respect, how much I spend on tix is my business...I do what I feel is necessary for my wife and my family. If that means spending more $$ on plane tix and less on the frivolities down here (unlike the rest of my class, I don't go hit the O-club bar after work), then so be it. I absolutely love my wife, and I'm doing what I feel is necessary for our marriage and our family.

With all due respect, ordinarily I would agree with you and respect your privacy. However, you post this stuff on a public forum and well, that makes its fair game for critique. If you really do feel compelled to go back there every weekend out of necessity, IMHO, there are people in the intensive care unit on artificial life support for whom less attention "is necessary" than your Mrs.

I'm just trying to turn a master caution light on in your brain so you don't wreck your professional career in the cradle. And I doubt your classmates are spending the equivalent amount of dough in the O-club bar after work on Friday you spend to fly round-trip from SA to OKC every weekend...but hey, I could be wrong. They may all be horrible alcoholics who overeat too.

1stTimeCaller
12/17/2007, 07:19 AM
I shouldn't be so critical of SSC.

I remember the first time I went to summer camp and was away from my parents for a week too.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/17/2007, 07:35 AM
This thread is confusing to me. IronSooner flew in on American Saturday morning and flew through DFW. He got here around 11:30.

sanantoniosooner
12/17/2007, 08:54 AM
This thread is confusing to me. IronSooner flew in on American Saturday morning and flew through DFW. He got here around 11:30.
yeah, but he didn't have a note pinned on his uniform with very explicit instructions about what kind of juice box has to be on the flight.

SoonerStormchaser
12/17/2007, 09:08 AM
Damn...I knew I was forgetting something! And I didn't get my animal crackers either.

1stTimeCaller
12/17/2007, 09:32 AM
does the AF or your wife come first? What's the priority order?

SoonerStormchaser
12/17/2007, 09:50 AM
When I took that vow at the altar, my wife automatically came second (after God)...

Now, that being said, we all know damn well that I'm not gonna shirk off my duties to Uncle Sam unless there's a good reason. But right now, since I can manage to have my cake and eat it too, I'm gonna take advantage of it. I know those days are numbered once I get past my RTU and go operational...but by that point, we'll finally be living under the same roof.

1stTimeCaller
12/17/2007, 10:59 AM
I'm not gonna shirk off my duties to Uncle Sam unless there's a good reason

enjoy being a lifetime 0-3.

You've already put the AF on the backburner once and you're only a 2LT.

I wish you the best.

sanantoniosooner
12/17/2007, 11:01 AM
You've got to get your priorities straight.

My wife falls just below this board.

Frozen Sooner
12/17/2007, 12:27 PM
They may all be horrible alcoholics who overeat too.

I KNEW I should have been in the Air Force.

SoonerStormchaser
12/17/2007, 12:51 PM
If that's what's gonna happen 1TC, then so be it. I'd rather have that and a successful marriage than be like so many of the staffers I see in the schoolhouse who are senior O-3's and O-4's and are either still single or divorced.

I know y'all are really looking out for me, and I greatly appreciate it.

olevetonahill
12/17/2007, 01:23 PM
We aint lookin out for ya . we just think you are ***** whooped and stupid
Just sayin