PDA

View Full Version : Dust off your Longhorns-in-San diego jokes...hahaha

soonernija
12/15/2007, 02:56 PM
Dust off the Longhorns-in-San-Diego jokes. Texas played in this game three times in four years (2000-01, 2003) before the magic of Vince Young swept them into national contention. All-Big 12 tailback Jamaal Charles became the Longhorns' most consistent weapon this season, as sophomore quarterback Colt McCoy had a bad case of the picks (co-leading the league with 18). Arizona State quarterback Rudy Carpenter will enjoy watching the Texas defense, which allowed 275.5 passing yards per game.
-- Ivan Maisel

fadada1
12/15/2007, 03:28 PM
welcome back to san diego, longhorns. seems like you never left.

AllAboutThe'O'
12/15/2007, 03:36 PM
It would've been nice if Plymouth was still the sponsor of the Holiday Bowl; then we could've uttered the phrase, "You can't spell Plymouth Holiday Bowl without UT."

derek430
12/15/2007, 03:40 PM
I go to this game every year. The game isn't the same with out Texas

Soonersince57
12/15/2007, 05:48 PM
It's good to have traditions. Texas in San Diego should always come between Christmas and New Year's Day.

BTW - I'm fairly new to the message boards. The Texas ones are always the same: OU wins because they cheat; OU wins because they have Texans; OU wins because their academics are bad, etc., etc. They practically have a circle j*** whenever they talk about Austin. Kind of like the OSU fans when they talk about Boone Pickens. :D :D

Charla
12/15/2007, 06:38 PM
It's good to have traditions. Texas in San Diego should always come between Christmas and New Year's Day.

BTW - I'm fairly new to the message boards. The Texas ones are always the same: OU wins because they cheat; OU wins because they have Texans; OU wins because their academics are bad, etc., etc. They practically have a circle j*** whenever they talk about Austin. Kind of like the OSU fans when they talk about Boone Pickens. :D :D
Nice to meet ya. These guys will still call you a "nOOb" but it looks like you learn pretty quick.

Collier11
12/15/2007, 07:12 PM

keep your posts smart like this and you can avoid the red, keep that in mind! ;)

utex74
12/15/2007, 07:14 PM

I'll stay away from Austin vs Norman/OKC comparisons. Besides, they are irrelevant. But I will say most Texas fans are not saying OU won the conference because they cheated, etc. Stoops did a great job, Bradford is the real deal and OU, as much as it pains me, is the team no one really wants any part of right now. You laid an egg against a couple of bad opponents. So did we.

After working in OKC for two years around a bunch of Sooners I am returning south to God's country the first of the year to work near Austin, again. The last two years I got to understand you people. I can carry on a rational discussion with Sooners and pick up my share of the drinks. Don't misunderstand, I will always hate OU but I think you would respect nothing less. I'll be back next year to discuss the season with you guys but going in OU looks like a monster. That does not sit well with me at all. We'll see how it all plays out in 2008.

Good luck in Tempe, although I will be pulling against you. See ya on down the road and in Dallas.

Collier11
12/15/2007, 07:19 PM
"After working in OKC for two years around a bunch of Sooners I am returning south to God's country "

Ardmore? Gods country doesnt go much more south than that!!!

" I'll be back next year to discuss the season with you guys but going in OU looks like a monster. That does not sit well with me at all. We'll see how it all plays out in 2008. "

If we can stay healthy, texas is in big trouble the next 2-3 years atleast, and that is a non-biased statement!!!

"Good luck in Tempe, although I will be pulling against you. See ya on down the road and in Dallas."

Atleast you get it, some people around here dont seem to! ;)

insuranceman_22
12/15/2007, 07:28 PM
Utex - be safe.....you going to cali. for the horn game?

A Sooner in Texas
12/15/2007, 07:35 PM
I'll stay away from Austin vs Norman/OKC comparisons. Besides, they are irrelevant. But I will say most Texas fans are not saying OU won the conference because they cheated, etc. Stoops did a great job, Bradford is the real deal and OU, as much as it pains me, is the team no one really wants any part of right now. You laid an egg against a couple of bad opponents. So did we.

After working in OKC for two years around a bunch of Sooners I am returning south to God's country the first of the year to work near Austin, again. The last two years I got to understand you people. I can carry on a rational discussion with Sooners and pick up my share of the drinks. Don't misunderstand, I will always hate OU but I think you would respect nothing less. I'll be back next year to discuss the season with you guys but going in OU looks like a monster. That does not sit well with me at all. We'll see how it all plays out in 2008.

Good luck in Tempe, although I will be pulling against you. See ya on down the road and in Dallas.

I guess it's all about the familiar...I was born and raised in Oklahoma (Bartlesville), with several years living in Edmond, OKC and Tulsa. Been down here in Texas (north of Houston) for 15 years and while there are things I like about it here, my spirits lift immensely anytime I cross the Red River. I love Oklahoma...there's no more beautiful town than Bartlesville, Tulsa is cool and urbane and OKC has an incredible spirit, which is only stronger since 4/19/95. There's no place like Norman on game day and nothing more fun and exciting than being at Memorial Stadium when the Sooners are playing.

Even my sons, who have both lived here their entire lives, identify more closely with Oklahoma (the state and the team) than with Texas. Like me, they hate the Longhorns. However, we all love San Antonio, the Alamo and Austin.

I think all the big programs have cheated; maybe the Sooners have just been caught more. Stoops is keeping the program as clean as he can -- considering boosters who think they're "helping" the team and the players by offering a little something more than is allowed. Tell me that doesn't happen in Texas. ;)

And I sure haven't read as many stories about Sooner players being arrested this year as about Longhorns. If either or both my sons want to go to school at OU, I know they'll get a great education leading to great jobs. Ditto for UT. And I'll support them either way.

Longhorn fans are bitter, bitter, bitter this year - but focus your bitterness where it belongs...at your coaches. OU has great coaches and recruiters and why wouldn't great players want to play for the best?
Take your tirades to the mirror.

badger
12/15/2007, 11:29 PM
two year break to give the two rivals a chance. Once to us in our off year (2005 with the idiot) and once to Texas A&M to let them honor America some more.

It's amazing what great recruits, great facilities and virtually an entire huge state fanbase at your disposal can accomplish. Thank goodness Bob Stoops is coaching for us and not them :eek:

:D

Crucifax Autumn
12/16/2007, 03:03 AM
Do we really need to dust the jokes off? We've all been saying that's where they'd go all season!

Jacie
12/16/2007, 12:08 PM
The whorns tenure in the Humback Whales Bowl kinda reminds me of Oklahoma's run of Orange Bowls in the days of the Big 8. It was something you could depend on to end the season. The only real difference is that OU aspired to be in the Orange whilst saxet despairs of playing in the Holiday.

As bowl games go, the Holiday beats most em as far as game location is concerned. I mean it is better than the rest of the Big 12 tie-in bowls (Cotton, Gator, Independence, Sun, Texas and Alamo). Most people would choose to visit San Diego over Dallas, Jacksonville, Shreveport, El Paso, Fort Worth or San Antonio. The other Big 12 tie-in bowl, the Insight, is played in the same stadium as the Holiday so a 5th place finish in the Big 12 gets a more fan-friendly place to go than the 2, 3, and 4 place teams, go figure.

Still, for the whorns the prospect of playing yet another Pac 10 team in the Holiday Bowl only serves to remind them that they are again the first runner up in the South Division and that has to sting.

Stitch Face
12/16/2007, 12:55 PM
I am returning south to God's country

That God...always stickin' up for the underdog!

Flagstaffsooner
12/16/2007, 01:03 PM
You people must realize the the whorn god is not the same as ours. And where utex is going is not heaven.
http://www.siue.edu/~ejoy/South%20Park%20Satan.jpg

utex74
12/16/2007, 11:05 PM
Utex - be safe.....you going to cali. for the horn game?

Not this year. Moving and the break between jobs makes this year tough. It was tempting, though. Think I'll save up for next year's MNC game. ;)

sooneron
12/16/2007, 11:10 PM
Not this year. Moving and the break between jobs makes this year tough. It was tempting, though. Think I'll save up for next year's MNC game. ;)
Wow, that IS respect! You want to see OU play twice next year?:D

A Sooner in Texas
12/16/2007, 11:10 PM

Thanks for supporting the Sooners! ;)

FirstandGoal
12/16/2007, 11:47 PM

heh

Too easy :D

goingoneight
12/17/2007, 12:07 AM
Not this year. Moving and the break between jobs makes this year tough. It was tempting, though. Think I'll save up for next year's MNC game.

I thought you said you hate us? :confused:

Crucifax Autumn
12/17/2007, 01:20 AM
He loves us, respects us, and wants very badly to be one of us.

Can you blame him?

soonerboomer93
12/17/2007, 02:23 AM
Nice to meet ya. These guys will still call you a "nOOb" but it looks like you learn pretty quick.

there's a difference between a newb and a n00b

they're not even spelled the same
you can search for the sftu n00bs thread to read up on it

if you don't wish to search or want clarification, just ask

TexasLidig8r
12/17/2007, 10:47 AM
Of course, the Holiday Bowl seems to be the only bowl OU can win.

The average at best recruiting classes of 2003 - 2004 came home to roost this year.. definitely Mack's worst team since 1999.

OUmillenium
12/17/2007, 12:25 PM
BIG 12 CHAMPS IN 2000 2002 2004 2006 2007. I think I can officially declare this an OU decade and a good start to an OU Millenium...conference-wise.

MextheBulldog
12/17/2007, 12:54 PM
Longhorns in San Diego, again. That's a WHAMMY!

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/c/1/c/c1c4bb67a25f0d031d8f2946a10a72ce.jpg

fwsooner22
12/17/2007, 02:46 PM
I am in the Real Estate Consulting business and have a very good client who is a horn. He is a dang good guy and a heckuva a businessman. We are constantly looking for the next "deal". It was about a week after our latest Big XII Championship when he got around to his "congratulations". I thanked him and we moved on.

I then proceeded to present him with some data on the latest condo development information I could find based in Southern California. He asked what it was about and I told him that it might be beneficial for him to have a condo in San Diego. This based solely on the Horns new late December address. I then presented him with some "fake" Holiday Bowl tickets for 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010........

The discussion then turned to the fact that he is most disgusted with the Horn fans who now want to talk about grades, Austin and the fact that OU can't win a bowl game. "We only worry about that crap when OU beats us and we go to the Holiday Bowl.....it's embarrassing and the truth is we are not that good of a program"......Says it all I think........

frankensooner
12/17/2007, 02:50 PM
What does this have to do with playoffs?

TexasLidig8r
12/17/2007, 03:21 PM
.....it's embarrassing and the truth is we are not that good of a program"......Says it all I think........

If... having more wins that all schools from BCS conferences since 2000, and as many BCS championships since the BCS started.. and a bad year is considered winning 9 games. .then.. yes.. we are not that good of a program. :rolleyes:

Having said that, if Mack wants to consistently compete for national championships, there needs to be a turn over on the coaching staff on the defensive side of the ball as well as an infusion of much more "attitude" on the team.

This year was a train wreck before the season even started (with the DWI arrests and Pittman being suspended for the first 3 games) and never got on the tracks.

BIG_IKE
12/17/2007, 04:22 PM
If for one am not making Holiday Bowl jokes because you can't spell it without OU either, and our ONLY Bowl win in the last 4 years was at the Holiday Bowl.

BIG_IKE
12/17/2007, 04:22 PM
If for one am not making Holiday Bowl jokes because you can't spell it without OU either, and our ONLY Bowl win in the last 4 years was at the Holiday Bowl.

MextheBulldog
12/17/2007, 04:56 PM
All things considered, San Diego is a very nice locale for a bowl game. Just sayin'. Beats Shreveport/New Mexico/Boise/Ft. Worth/Detroit/etc.

soonernation
12/17/2007, 07:14 PM
If... having more wins that all schools from BCS conferences since 2000, and as many BCS championships since the BCS started.. and a bad year is considered winning 9 games. .then.. yes.. we are not that good of a program. :rolleyes:

Having said that, if Mack wants to consistently compete for national championships, there needs to be a turn over on the coaching staff on the defensive side of the ball as well as an infusion of much more "attitude" on the team.

This year was a train wreck before the season even started (with the DWI arrests and Pittman being suspended for the first 3 games) and never got on the tracks.

Has Texas won 91 games since 2000? Don't think so.

XingTheRubicon
12/17/2007, 07:21 PM
Has Texas won 91 games since 2000? Don't think so.

He said that all BCS schools not than all BCS schools.;)

badger
12/17/2007, 08:27 PM
Unless you count the Cotton Bowl in October. Zing!

MiccoMacey
12/17/2007, 09:09 PM
If... having more wins that all schools from BCS conferences since 2000, and as many BCS championships since the BCS started.. and a bad year is considered winning 9 games. .then.. yes.. we are not that good of a program. :rolleyes:...

Lid,

I feel your pain.

OU's wrestling program has placed in the top three in the NCAA tournament five out of the last seven years, graduates our student-athletes, and doesn't have off-mat issues.

And yet, I'd love to see Jack Spates go. Why? Because even though he's ran a good program by all accounts, he's not even been close to sniffing any kind of real championships on a consistent basis (Big Twelve CCG in 2002...that's about it).

We've known going into the tournament that we had no shot at winning it all. Top three was the highest we could hope to possibly attain, and that was with us wrestling so far above our heads that our noses bled for a week to ten days (Meatballs fans, unite). And we haven't beaten our wrestling in-state rival, OSU, since 1996.

Texas = OU wrestling.

Stitch Face
12/17/2007, 09:42 PM
If... having more wins that all schools from BCS conferences since 2000, and as many BCS championships since the BCS started.. and a bad year is considered winning 9 games. .then.. yes.. we are not that good of a program.

Keep makin' that lemonade, counselor...

47straight
12/18/2007, 12:50 AM
After working in OKC for two years around a bunch of Sooners I am returning south to God's country the first of the year to work near Austin, again.

Sorry, don't know if you heard but Austin's full. Too dang many people. Maybe you can come back and apply in Q3 2008, but if I get on the committee I wouldn't count on it.

47straight
12/18/2007, 12:54 AM

Oh SNAP!

It was actually funny, except the Rose (before you guys) and Orange and Cotton.... but hey, 3 of the 4 traditional big bowls don't count... :texan: :)

fwsooner22
12/18/2007, 10:36 AM

He said "not that good"....and he meant not as good as OU's program....Roll your eyes if ya like but that is the simple truth....Sure it can change but right now we are the better program.....words and excuses do not change the fact that we are dominating the Big XII in football. It isn't even really that close. Arrests and suspensions are symptomatic of a program and what it is really about. "WE" know that at OU.

We had a kid steal some gas and I am not sure if we saw him at all this year. At UT you can drive drunk, use crack, steal cars and ya might even play the next week. Heck you can probably drive drunk and win a comeback player of the year award at UT. We know you can send out a posse to beat the crap out of a student who told on "one uh ya homeboys". That needs WAY more air time than it received.

;) ;) ;)

fwsooner22
12/18/2007, 10:38 AM

He said "not that good"....and he meant not as good as OU's programs....Roll your eyes if ya like but that is the simple truth....Sure it can change but right now we are the better program.....words and excuses do not change the fact that we are dominating the Big XII in football. It isn't even really that close. Arrests and suspensions are symptomatic of a program and what it is really about. "WE" know that at OU.

We had a kid steal some gas and I am not sure if we saw him at all this year. At UT you can drive drunk, use crack, steal cars and ya might even play the next week. Heck you can probably drive drunk and win a comeback player of the year award at UT. We know you can send out a possee to beat the crap out of a student who told on "one uh ya homeboys". That needs WAY more air time than it received.

;) ;) ;)

TexasLidig8r
12/18/2007, 10:44 AM
He said "not that good"....and he meant not as good as OU's program....Roll your eyes if ya like but that is the simple truth....Sure it can change but right now we are the better program.....words and excuses do not change the fact that we are dominating the Big XII in football. It isn't even really that close. Arrests and suspensions are symptomatic of a program and what it is really about. "WE" know that at OU.

Any objective person who knows college football cannot argue with that premise. If the initial statement was that "right now, UT's program is not as good as OU's program, there is no logical argument that can be made refuting that. The fact that I may not like it does not change the truth of that.

We had a kid steal some gas and I am not sure if we saw him at all this year. At UT you can drive drunk, use crack, steal cars and ya might even play the next week. Heck you can probably drive drunk and win a comeback player of the year award at UT. We know you can send out a posse to beat the crap out of a student who told on "one uh ya homeboys". That needs WAY more air time than it received.

You did so well until that point. The kids who got popped for DWI were suspended longer than other schools/coaches suspended their kids for similar offenses. The morons who committed the more egregious offenses were gone.

;) ;) ;)

Biznacho!

TexasLidig8r
12/18/2007, 10:47 AM
Oh SNAP!

It was actually funny, except the Rose (before you guys) and Orange and Cotton.... but hey, 3 of the 4 traditional big bowls don't count... :texan: :)

ah.. but, how many current players on the OU team played in a bowl that OU won (other than the Holiday)?

Who was the offensive coordinator of OU the last time they won a bowl other than the Holiday Bowl?
Who was the defensive coordinator of OU the last time they won a bowl other than the Holiday Bowl?

Now, excuse me, I have to scour the innerweb looking for a condo in San Diego since it appears I'll be going out there every other year for the next bajillion years!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

fwsooner22
12/18/2007, 10:54 AM
ah.. but, how many current players on the OU team played in a bowl that OU won (other than the Holiday)?

Who was the offensive coordinator of OU the last time they won a bowl other than the Holiday Bowl?
Who was the defensive coordinator of OU the last time they won a bowl other than the Holiday Bowl?

Now, excuse me, I have to scour the innerweb looking for a condo in San Diego since it appears I'll be going out there every other year for the next bajillion years!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

DANG IT!!!! The above post is why we can NEVER hate LID!.......

Man, I wish all Horns were like you...........:) :) :)