PDA

View Full Version : Fiesta Bowl/Tempe Suggestions?

Collier11
12/15/2007, 12:25 AM
For those of you who went last year or are familiar with that area, myself and 7 friends are heading down and will touch down early afternoon on the 31st. We have heard of a block party going on in Tempe on New Years Eve and I also had a buddy who went last year that said Tempe is the place to be on New Years.

My question is are there any bars, clubs, restaurants that we should be sure and hit up? Anyone know of anything going on New Years that shouldnt be missed?

Please shower me with your suggestions, I plan on having the time of my life(aka New Orleans in 03' which I barely remember :)

Soonerus
12/15/2007, 12:52 AM
Tempe Block Party is awesome, I have been to it twice..

Collier11
12/15/2007, 12:56 AM
what are the adult beverage laws as far as being on the street or walking down the street with a beer?

Soonerus
12/15/2007, 12:58 AM
It is OK....

Flagstaffsooner
12/15/2007, 01:13 AM
If you get out of control you will be wearing pink underwear in a tent jail.

Soonerfan88
12/15/2007, 01:22 AM
They cordon off the streets in Tempe for the block party, so there is no problem walking around with alcohol. Went last year & will be going back again.

Collier11
12/15/2007, 03:25 AM
sounds awesome, keep the details coming if you dont mind fellas and ladies!

Crucifax Autumn
12/15/2007, 03:39 AM
Bypass Tempe, come to Vegas, and party it up with me! lol

The drive will be short getting back for the game and I promise you'll be out of here early, hangover raging!

Primo
12/15/2007, 08:32 AM
They cordon off the streets in Tempe for the block party, so there is no problem walking around with alcohol. Went last year & will be going back again.

I can echo the fact that the block party is the way to go. There are many, many restaurants, bars, and exhibitions going on, in addition to the concert in the park by the lake. It is a sweet time.

Harry Beanbag
12/15/2007, 10:07 AM
Personally, I won't go within 10 miles of Tempe that night, but that's just me and my rapidly advancing old age talking I guess. A couple brazilian young, rude, drunk people, a parking nightmare, and DUI checkpoints on every exiting street just aren't my idea of a good New Year's Eve.

Flagstaffsooner
12/15/2007, 10:17 AM
Personally, I won't go within 10 miles of Tempe that night, but that's just me and my rapidly advancing old age talking I guess. A couple brazilian young, rude, drunk people, a parking nightmare, and DUI checkpoints on every exiting street just aren't my idea of a good New Year's Eve.Really, leave it for the touristas and aSu college a-holes.:D

PLaw
12/15/2007, 10:53 AM
Beyond the block party, here are a few suggestions for a good eating:

1) Scottsdale near Old Town: Don and Charlie's / a steak house with one of the best sports memorbilia collections inlcuding an autographed Babe Ruth baseballs. The beef is top shelf.

2) Scottsdale Biltmore area: Capital Grill. Solid. Great service and steak.

3) Yard House: Several locations including Scottsdale and by the UOP stadium. 150+ beers on tap. The food is good, but not top shelf.

4) Sushi: Raw 38 at Camelback and 38th. Chic and fresh.

5) Mexican: Tortilla Factory in Old Town Scottsdale. It ain't Tex Mex, but solid.

6) In the West Valley: The steak restaraunt at the Wigwam is memorable. The Wigwam is a historic resort with roots back to the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Co. It was an executive retreat near the "proving grounds".

7) Mexican in the West Valley: Raul & Theresa's. Been there forever on Buckeye and Litchfield Rd (?). Considered by locals as the original and best in the Valley.

8) Breakfast: Scottdale / The Original Pancake House and First Watch. Best advice for the OPH, get the Big Apple and an omelette and then split them.

9) For the ordinary, the chains can also be found just about everywhere: Cheesecake Factory, Mortons, Fat Tuesday, PF Changs, Papadeaux's, etc.

10) Pubs: Tilted Kilt, The Library,

Imbib and enjoy!

BOOOMER

Primo
12/15/2007, 12:14 PM
Really, leave it for the touristas and aSu college a-holes.:D

Um, we are the touristas. :D

Flagstaffsooner
12/15/2007, 12:54 PM
Um, we are the touristas. :DHarry and I aren't.;)
We are just trying to tell you that there are better places in Arizona than Tempe.

Collier11
12/15/2007, 02:44 PM
Thanks for all the Tips fellas, Crucifix I wish I could do that but I would have to drive 4 whiny girls so no thank! :) SOONER!!!

Snrborn
12/15/2007, 06:26 PM
I've always been a big fan of My Big Fat Greek Restaurant. There is one near Old town Scottsdale, one on Mill in Tempe, and a new one just opened on the West Side of PHX SW of the stadium @ the 101-10 intersection. I also REALLY like Gordon Biersch. Some of the Best "German Type" Beers I have tasted, that are brewed in the US (I am a wannabe German). There is a Gordon Biersch on Mill, and one at Westgate City Center, which is just north of the stadium. Westgate still isn't whatot's going to be, but there are several more establishments than what we had last year: Moes' SW Grill, Shane's Rib Shack, Fox Sports Grill (might have been open last year), Motu's, The Yardhouse, and Margaritavilles(I ate there yesterday, as a matter of fact - decent food, cool place, pricey).

proudsoonergal
12/15/2007, 06:44 PM
I've always been a big fan of My Big Fat Greek Restaurant. There is one near Old town Scottsdale, one on Mill in Tempe, and a new one just opened on the West Side of PHX SW of the stadium @ the 101-10 intersection. I also REALLY like Gordon Biersch. Some of the Best "German Type" Beers I have tasted, that are brewed in the US (I am a wannabe German). There is a Gordon Biersch on Mill, and one at Westgate City Center, which is just north of the stadium. Westgate still isn't whatot's going to be, but there are several more establishments than what we had last year: Moes' SW Grill, Shane's Rib Shack, Fox Sports Grill (might have been open last year), Motu's, The Yardhouse, and Margaritavilles(I ate there yesterday, as a matter of fact - decent food, cool place, pricey).

I concur - my friend and I went there last year (to the one in Tempe) and it was awesome. Great prices and great food.

BTW, I'd also suggest Tempe on New Year's. We hit that last year as well. Of course, you probably shouldn't drink as much as I did that night, though. I didn't start feeling better until I got to the block party in the afternoon of the 1st, right before the game. Hmmm.....the game is on the 2nd this year.....nevermind.....drink away....... ;)

MamaMia
12/16/2007, 10:31 AM
Isn't there a place in that area thats famous for their prickly pear margaritas?

Harry Beanbag
12/16/2007, 10:43 AM
Isn't there a place in that area thats famous for their prickly pear margaritas?

Yes, but I can't remember where it was. Your welcome. :)

UTgolfer
12/16/2007, 11:10 AM
[QUOTE=PLaw]Beyond the block party, here are a few suggestions for a good eating:

1) Scottsdale near Old Town: Don and Charlie's / a steak house with one of the best sports memorbilia collections inlcuding an autographed Babe Ruth baseballs. The beef is top shelf.

2) Scottsdale Biltmore area: Capital Grill. Solid. Great service and steak.

3) Yard House: Several locations including Scottsdale and by the UOP stadium. 150+ beers on tap. The food is good, but not top shelf.

4) Sushi: Raw 38 at Camelback and 38th. Chic and fresh.

5) Mexican: Tortilla Factory in Old Town Scottsdale. It ain't Tex Mex, but solid.

6) In the West Valley: The steak restaraunt at the Wigwam is memorable. The Wigwam is a historic resort with roots back to the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Co. It was an executive retreat near the "proving grounds".

7) Mexican in the West Valley: Raul & Theresa's. Been there forever on Buckeye and Litchfield Rd (?). Considered by locals as the original and best in the Valley.

8) Breakfast: Scottdale / The Original Pancake House and First Watch. Best advice for the OPH, get the Big Apple and an omelette and then split them.

9) For the ordinary, the chains can also be found just about everywhere: Cheesecake Factory, Mortons, Fat Tuesday, PF Changs, Papadeaux's, etc.

10) Pubs: Tilted Kilt, The Library,

Imbib and enjoy!

BOOOMER

PLaw is right on with most suggestions, however, Capital Grill is way over-rated. And if you want some really good Tex Mex go to Tee Pee at Indian School and 42nd...but only go if you are prepared to wait a bit as it is very good and very popular.

Flagstaffsooner
12/16/2007, 11:21 AM
Isn't there a place in that area thats famous for their prickly pear margaritas?Here Mama (http://search.cityguide.aol.com/phoenix/restaurants/el-encanto-mexican-cafe/v-101900361/reviews)

sooner59
12/16/2007, 11:26 AM
Personally, I won't go within 10 miles of Tempe that night, but that's just me and my rapidly advancing old age talking I guess. A couple brazilian young, rude, drunk people, a parking nightmare, and DUI checkpoints on every exiting street just aren't my idea of a good New Year's Eve.

We went last year and never even saw one checkpoint. We actually took a wrong turn somewhere by the river down there though and a cop helped us find our way back to the road we needed. The cop was very nice and helpful. Other than that, I never saw one. As far as it being a drunken crazy party....not so much. The West End on OU-Texas weekend was about 10X more crazy and drunken. And we did not have a problem parking, but it is a nice walk from the parking lot to where the streets are closed off, but it made it way easier to get out.

MamaMia
12/16/2007, 11:29 AM
Here Mama (http://search.cityguide.aol.com/phoenix/restaurants/el-encanto-mexican-cafe/v-101900361/reviews) Thank you, but isn't that kind of far from Scottsdale?

Oh yeah, I'll be taking the prickly pear tour myself. :P

Flagstaffsooner
12/16/2007, 11:35 AM
Thank you, but isn't that kind of far from Scottsdale?

Oh yeah, I'll be taking the prickly pear tour myself. :PNot that far, nice country up there. Take the Cholla tour. Walk though the desert and you get a free Cholla ankle bracelet.;)

Harry Beanbag
12/16/2007, 01:10 PM
We went last year and never even saw one checkpoint. We actually took a wrong turn somewhere by the river down there though and a cop helped us find our way back to the road we needed. The cop was very nice and helpful. Other than that, I never saw one. As far as it being a drunken crazy party....not so much. The West End on OU-Texas weekend was about 10X more crazy and drunken. And we did not have a problem parking, but it is a nice walk from the parking lot to where the streets are closed off, but it made it way easier to get out.

Well, I was exaggerating a tad for effect. They do love checkpoints around here and they just stiffened the DUI laws, I believe it's a mandatory 30 days in jail for first time offenders. Just not worth it in my book for a variety of reasons. We have wild enough block parties on our own street without the risk of being killed, thrown in jail, or paying large fines.

PhxSooner
12/16/2007, 01:52 PM
Thank you, but isn't that kind of far from Scottsdale?

Oh yeah, I'll be taking the prickly pear tour myself. :P
Technically, it's right next to Scottsdale, but that would be north Scottsdale. I live only about five minutes from El Encanto, and I'm about 20-25 minutes from Kierland/Tilted Kilt, and a lot farther from old town Scottsdale and Tempe.

Lott's Bandana
12/16/2007, 04:14 PM
Any of the previous Scottsdale recommendations are right-on...especially Old Town Scottsdale.

WARNING:

Aggy plays in Tempe on New Year's Eve.

Just a reminder...

MamaMia
12/16/2007, 05:23 PM
About 6 years ago or so I heard that Kimpton bought the Caleo and was going to put millions into a renovation. Are they finished with that yet and if so whats the name of that hotel?

Harry Beanbag
12/16/2007, 07:58 PM
About 6 years ago or so I heard that Kimpton bought the Caleo and was going to put millions into a renovation. Are they finished with that yet and if so whats the name of that hotel?

I had no idea, but Google is my friend. :)

http://www.fireskyresort.com/clo-caleofiresky/index.html

sooner59
12/16/2007, 07:59 PM
Well, I was exaggerating a tad for effect. They do love checkpoints around here and they just stiffened the DUI laws, I believe it's a mandatory 30 days in jail for first time offenders. Just not worth it in my book for a variety of reasons. We have wild enough block parties on our own street without the risk of being killed, thrown in jail, or paying large fines.

Good call. I didn't even drink there last year. This year, I will either have a DD or stay sober.

MamaMia
12/16/2007, 10:03 PM
I had no idea, but Google is my friend. :)

http://www.fireskyresort.com/clo-caleofiresky/index.htmlThank you Mr. Beanbag. That looks like a pretty fun and relaxing place to stay. I think its close to the Old Town Scottsdale too. Now, if they have some prickly pear margaritas, I'd be all set. Honestly, I really just want one, to taste. :)

Harry Beanbag
12/16/2007, 10:08 PM
Thank you Mr. Beanbag. That looks like a pretty fun and relaxing place to stay. I think its close to the Old Town Scottsdale too. Now, if they have some prickly pear margaritas, I'd be all set. Honestly, I really just want one, to taste. :)

For $250 a night it better be fun and relaxing.